Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Pringle was a weird looking bloke. 
    I met him once and I swear he is Orange 
  • If they don’t shift Kirk and McGrandles out today and bring three in then they haven’t met their own expectations, never mind ours.
    Not sure how true, but someone posted on here a couple of days ago that McGrandles is now injured and therefore it's unlikely we'd be able to move him on. 
  • Pringle was a weird looking bloke. 
    I met him once and I swear he is Orange 
    ...and this is coming live from Blackpool!?
  • If they don’t shift Kirk and McGrandles out today and bring three in then they haven’t met their own expectations, never mind ours.
    Not sure how true, but someone posted on here a couple of days ago that McGrandles is now injured and therefore it's unlikely we'd be able to move him on. 
    Thats fine kick the other waste of space out Jaiyesimi then along with Kirk at least none should be here this time tomorrow !!!
  • edited September 2023
    Redrobo said:
    One of the Swedish Addicks, who is in touch with Pringle nowadays reminded me that Challinor's then manager Carlton Palmer described it as a "horrendous" tackle, and fined him two weeks wages.

"Horrendous" is actually a pretty good word to describe the state we are in. Here's Pringle's Wiki for the benefit of the apparent 80% who have never heard of him. It was actually during the Grimsby loan spell that Challinor did him. Broke his leg in two places. We registered him for the following season but he never fully recovered and retired in November 2002. Here is Challinor's Wiki. A very impressive  long managerial spell at , er, AFC Fylde, cannot be ignored. 

It's almost surreal that we are even talking about this no-mark pub team player/manager. 
    Have you read his version? 
    The manager did not fine him after all. In his whole career he only ever got one red - for a handball, and that was rescinded.
    I didn’t see the tackle, but it would seem to me that his discipline record would suggest that he was not trying to break the leg of a fellow professional.
    He also has a first degree as a physiotherapist. Again, does not suggest a Neanderthal. 

Just adding a bit of balance. As I say, I didn’t see it.
    Admire the aspiration but probably a forlorn hope.
    As happens when emotions understandably run high, the world gets viewed as comprising good guys and bad guys, with nowt in between. Those associated with the bad guys must also be c**ts or clowns or both and threads can rapidly become an echo chamber.
    It's not a surprise, given the cast of money launderers, madmen, asset-strippers and narcissists that have owned CAFC for the last 10+ years, but there seems to me to be a lot of recency bias on show, that seemingly won't allow for any possibility (I'm just saying "possibility") that the largest shareholders (at least those with >5%!) might have ideas other than as suggested by the Texas Prospectus (aimed at small-ticket investors who, obviously, would not be prepared or could be relied upon to contribute more, as needed), that they and the management team (whatever we think of them personally) just might not be total idiots or cheapskates looking for a quick flip and that, without being dumb enough to throw stupid money at the club, they just might have the same goal on the pitch as us.
    Because the investment, by some very smart people, who make a lot of private equity investments of this sort, typically seeking outsized returns (not 20-40% but multiples of their investment) and are accustomed to making measured, follow-on investments in that pursuit, makes absolutely no sense to me unless CAFC achieves at least 1 promotion. 
    Everyone makes mistakes and DH was patently one but I give them credit (unlike TS with both Adkins and Garner) for admitting it and pulling the plug early enough to potentially rescue the season.
    Whomever they appoint from the range of options open to us, or if they decide to give Jason Pearce a longer run, I will back the new manager, regardless of their “history” because I simply don’t believe this “set up to fail” theory.
    That's my pennyworth - "intelligent" or otherwise.
  • Not set up to fail, but will fail because they can’t set up for success.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Just been listening back to Charlton Live. Louis' view is that Powell wouldn't touch it having looked at the squad and decided not good enough.
    (Apologies if that's already been discussed at length on here  - I've had to skim through a lot of this thread.)
  • Just been listening back to Charlton Live. Louis' view is that Powell wouldn't touch it having looked at the squad and decided not good enough.
    Well that's not a very good attitude, if correct, is it?
  • Surely even Billy Smart doesn't have this much trouble recruiting 
  • Just been listening back to Charlton Live. Louis' view is that Powell wouldn't touch it having looked at the squad and decided not good enough.
    (Apologies if that's already been discussed at length on here  - I've had to skim through a lot of this thread.)
    Entirely possible but I’m not sure that Powell would be in a position to know who out of any third tier players were good enough. He’s been out of that neck of the woods for quite some time.
    Not having this myself. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Just been listening back to Charlton Live. Louis' view is that Powell wouldn't touch it having looked at the squad and decided not good enough.
    Well that's not a very good attitude, if correct, is it?
    Yes it is. Powell did well with us the first time, less so at other clubs. If he comes back here and doesn't go well he's just changed his image into "good coach who got lucky one time as a manager."

Plus, he's not wrong really. The squad is NOT good enough and I don't blame him for doubting he'd get the backing to change that.
  • Darren Moore is in the studio as part of the SSN Deadline Day coverage.
    Rules out the hopeful rumour from yesterday that he was staying in London to be interviewed by us. Though it was unlikely he’d be interviewed on transfer deadline day.
    Entirely possible but I’m not sure that Powell would be in a position to know who out of any third tier players were good enough. He’s been out of that neck of the woods for quite some time.
    Maybe he put in a quick phone call to his old boss Curbs and asked for the lowdown. Curbs has seen A LOT of us over the past year or 2. 
  • Uboat said:
    What happens of no one wants to be our manager? 🙁
    Charlie boy will be in the dugout?
  • Sponsored links:

Rules out the hopeful rumour from yesterday that he was staying in London to be interviewed by us. Though it was unlikely he’d be interviewed on transfer deadline day.
     Thinking about it, that explains the timing of this.
    What club or manager in work is going to start negotiating a move right on the eve of the transfer window shutting? 
    Another excuse for them to go down the out of work cheap option 
  • No chance we appoint a manager by the end of today.. I'd imagine early/middle of next week, which gives them a decent block of time to prepare for our next league game assuming that Wigan game is postponed (think I read it has been?)
  • I don't think I've ever known a more bizarre situation?
    Straight after a transfer window and having a manager that doesn't want any if the players we signed!!
  • It really does come down to, who would want the job? Surely only someone who is unemployed and needing to pay the mortgage! 

Wonder what the pitch is? Roll up, roll up, come and join The Greatest (shit show) On Earth. 
  • I'd guess appointment by 5pm Tuesday at latest giving the new guy 10 days to work with the squad before Stevenage.
    Have people missed that Cawley tweeted Moore had already been interviewed for the job?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!