Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• He was the first ever Charlton player I put in my FA Premium Loog sticker album back in 2000.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The last manager from League 2 did great, signed plenty of players from L2 as well for us.  That ended well.   
    Hiring a successful L2 manager worked out horrendously for Rob Edwards and Luton as well.
    How did it work out for Rob Edwards and Watford?

Worked out very well at Watford.
    He was in the top half of the table in 10th place after just 10 games and he got a years money when sacked. Win/win situation and now he has overachieved at Luton.
    You mean he was 10th, mid table, like the Cowleys were when they got sacked?

The whole point is success is relative, and in the eye of the beholder.  

Some say Jackson was a success for finishing midtable, some say he was a failure.

JJ wasn't a failure if you take a team from 22nd to 13 despite what the experts said on CL.
    If he was a failure we would have ended up in League 2.
    Not saying he was a success but he did well with and I quote many posters on CL.
    "The worse squad in living memory"
    By the Ipswich 4-0 there was chaos behind the scenes (Washington) as we hadn't reached the high target that had been set for Jackson from 22nd place.
    But your completely missing the point.

Jackson got sacked for finishing 13th.
    Edwards got sacked for being 10th.
    Cowley got sacked for being 12th.

Some people will say they got sacked, therefore they failed.  Some people will say they hadn't failed so shouldn't have been sacked.  Some will say it was best for both sides if they parted ways.

There is no manager, they we are ever going to get, that has never failed AND has manages at at least league 1 level.  That includes Powell, Bowyer, Richardson and anyone else you would care to name.
    Didn’t Darren Moore get sacked for being in 4th place with Wednesday?
  • BigDiddy said:
    Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

The bloke who nobbled Martin Pringle!
    I would say 80 precent of our fans wouldn’t have a clue who Martin Pringle is?
    Lovely Swedish player - lean and quick.

We has him around 2001 and he was acquired from Benfica.

Those were the days 
    He ran around like Bambi on Ice... Got his autograph in Bexleyheath Shopping Centre (Along with Anthony Barness) prior to us winning the League @ Blackburn.
    I was going to question the Barness autograph, but he was with us until 2000
  • I’d be really shocked if we announced a manager until after this weekend. I think a win and Pearce will have a huge chance of getting the job. I definitely think Rodwell and Methven will want to see if he can do it. Potentially a much cheaper option, with a Charlton connection who the new mob can talk about ‘promoting from within’
  • There’s a good time coming, but it’s a good time coming!
  • Marry Gonk
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

Those were the days 
    He ran around like Bambi on Ice... Got his autograph in Bexleyheath Shopping Centre (Along with Anthony Barness) prior to us winning the League @ Blackburn.
    I genuinely thought he’d left us by 97 
  • BigDiddy said:
    Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

We had him around 2001 and he was acquired from Benfica.

Those were the days 
    Recommended by Scott Minto when he was at Benfica
  • cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

Those were the days 
    He had, then came back.  Was in a suit for a pile on at Wembley.
  • Martin Pringle, such a unorthodox playing style. Didn't he get loaned out to Grimbsy with Andy Todd after Toddy gave Deano a right hook? 
  • As this is now the Martin Pringle thread, I once was on the same Ryanair flight as him! Gothenburg to Stansted, back in 2001.
  • Garry Monk?
    Why would you just say this and then run off. I'm going to have nightmares 
  • Pringle is now a manager, if we offer him the job he’ll have his revenge on Challinor.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    How many levels of shambles are there?

And...

Shit!  There's more aren't there?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

Those were the days 
    He had, then came back.  Was in a suit for a pile on at Wembley.
    Yes, I remember now.  Crazy to think he was still with us by 2000
  • Sam_777 said:
    Hard to tell if people are being genuine or facetious when saying legendary managers couldn’t get a tune out this mob. Regardless of how there may be some right crap in this team, a competent manager should be able to out-compete at least 17 of the shite clubs in this division & get top 6. 

I’m not accepting the squad is not good enough as an excuse, it’s such a red herring. 

These players are not coached correctly & regardless of what Holden said, there was no identity being built, no clear style, you can see that from his incoherent team selections. 

Garner was pants in the end but at least you could see a distinct style of play. 

Whoever they bring in needs to have a clear and concise idea of how they want to play & stick to it. Like Russell Martin said, have a plan A & don’t worry about b,c,d etc. just make plan A better. 
    Squad no where near the depth or quality needed for top 6. A competent manager may get the current squad., as it stands, to lower mid table / avoiding relegation. God help the squad for a poor to mediocre manager. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!