Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Ryan Whelan is not a reliable source. I doubt it's even been offered formally to anyone yet, let alone been turned down.
    He was the original source of him getting the job in the first place.
    He’s just a bloke with a website and a Twitter blue tick trying to buy a bit of credibility by piggybacking on other established journos. I’m yet to be convinced he has his own reliable sources.

Look at any of his articles of any substance and it’s just a rehash of what Alan Nixon, Pete O’Rourke or Darren Witcoop have already reported.
  • It could be that DC knows he was not successful but it’s leaked today so damage control with Stockport fans. 

• Wasn't he the Lincoln fan who talked about Gilbey last year?
  • Asked my mate about challinor and this is what I got… Can’t say it sounds too exciting and the general consensus I have seen from Stockport fans is he is struggling this year. 
    This sounds scarily familiar..
    To be honest it sounds like the description of every Football League manager ever. It's all a variation of 'doesn't have a Plan B' which is basically supporter code for 'sometimes we lose and I think we could have done something else with all this hindsight I have so he's rubbish'. The subs thing is a pretty common complaint from fans as well. Though to be honest given we've only got about 8 fit professionals at any given time at Charlton a bloke who doesn't like to make any subs will feel right at home.
    Yup I'd be quite happy with a manager that has a Plan A that they can actually successfully execute to get results more often than not.

Holden didn't have any plans, Garner had a plan A but couldn't execute and don't think JJ had a plan beyond play 532 either so it's been a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:

Wasn't he the Lincoln fan who talked about Gilbey last year?
    Yes
  • seth plum said:
    I think we can finally rule out the notion that the Shamocracy had any kind of plan as to what to do next after they sacked Dean Holden
    Sadly I agree 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The last manager from League 2 did great, signed plenty of players from L2 as well for us.  That ended well.   
    Hiring a successful L2 manager worked out horrendously for Rob Edwards and Luton as well.
    How did it work out for Rob Edwards and Watford?

Worked out very well at Watford.
    He was in the top half of the table in 10th place after just 10 games and he got a years money when sacked. Win/win situation and now he has overachieved at Luton.
    You mean he was 10th, mid table, like the Cowleys were when they got sacked?

The whole point is success is relative, and in the eye of the beholder.  

Some say Jackson was a success for finishing midtable, some say he was a failure.

JJ wasn't a failure if you take a team from 22nd to 13 despite what the experts said on CL.
    If he was a failure we would have ended up in League 2.
    Not saying he was a success but he did well with and I quote many posters on CL.
    "The worse squad in living memory"
    By the Ipswich 4-0 there was chaos behind the scenes (Washington) as we hadn't reached the high target that had been set for Jackson from 22nd place.
    But your completely missing the point.

Jackson got sacked for finishing 13th.
    Edwards got sacked for being 10th.
    Cowley got sacked for being 12th.

Some people will say they got sacked, therefore they failed.  Some people will say they hadn't failed so shouldn't have been sacked.  Some will say it was best for both sides if they parted ways.

There is no manager, they we are ever going to get, that has never failed AND has manages at at least league 1 level.  That includes Powell, Bowyer, Richardson and anyone else you would care to name.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
  • edited August 2023
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The last manager from League 2 did great, signed plenty of players from L2 as well for us.  That ended well.   
    Hiring a successful L2 manager worked out horrendously for Rob Edwards and Luton as well.
    How did it work out for Rob Edwards and Watford?

Worked out very well at Watford.
    He was in the top half of the table in 10th place after just 10 games and he got a years money when sacked. Win/win situation and now he has overachieved at Luton.
    You mean he was 10th, mid table, like the Cowleys were when they got sacked?

The whole point is success is relative, and in the eye of the beholder.  

Some say Jackson was a success for finishing midtable, some say he was a failure.
    10th in the Championship though.
  • Can’t believe this Rob Edwards tangent I started…
  • JamesSeed said:
    vff said:
    I applaud 👏 Scott & Methven looking at managers with League 2 & National League experience. Its a win all round for Charlton. Excellent to have a manager experienced in League 2 & National League given the direction Methven, Scott & his pals club are sending the club in.

These L2 / unemployed managers will also be cheap to hire & fire & perfect for pinning the blame on & distracting from the Methven & Scott genius strategy -  when everything goes even more pearshaped. 
    Charlton supporters have the added benefit of getting used to the standard of football coming our wayin future seasons, so its not too much of a shock. Throw ins should improve though. Happy days !

Methven can also get those costs down by getting the budget down to national league / league two levels. Man of his word is Charlie. Not sure 🤔 why any Charlton supporter is unhappy given Scott & Methven solid preparation for the future. 
    Our best manager ever was not even a manager but a coach when he joined us and had never been a manager …… all managers have to start somewhere even Pep and co needed that break 
    J S was manager of Orient for a year before joining us, not a coach. 👍😊
    You sure James, is your source better than the Plymouth Herald……………. Oh hang on a minute 😉
  • Fumbluff said:
    Further to a second interview, talks are now advancing with Mickey the pipe from Sidcup. 
    Mickey is currently coaching Crockenhills U18 team but what has attracted the Charlton SMT is that he can also fix their bogs, for free…
    10/10
  • vffvff
    edited August 2023
    Challinor, Appleton , Cowley.
    Doesnt matter what order they will probably all have a go by the end of the season.

It will be a huge surprise imo that the absentee owners SE7 Partners SMT (Scott / Methven - it wasn't me, not me mate, everything going wrong is someone elses' fault, I only take credit for things that go well) hire is still in post by the end of the season.
  • Fumbluff said:
    Further to a second interview, talks are now advancing with Mickey the pipe from Sidcup. 
    Mickey is currently coaching Crockenhills U18 team but what has attracted the Charlton SMT is that he can also fix their bogs, for free…

Don’t suppose you’ve got Mickeys number?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!