Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Oxford are top
    We are 19th

Do I need to answer that?

First 11 - we MAY compete with them.   Squadwise we aren't better than Oxford.   No.    We over value our squad sadly.   It isn't all that.

When everybody / IF everybody is fit, then yes, we are decent.

Hardly ever happens though, does it.
  • Scoham said:

Sad really.

Is this what we have come too ?  No disrespect to any of the teams or their fans but interviewing managers at Stockport & Northampton is not my idea of success.

SE7 Partners have been in charge for 6 weeks & things are starting to unravel already.

Utter shambles.
    I disagree. These are exactly the type of up and coming managers we should be looking at.

Fresh ideas, know the !ower leagues scouting for bargains and a defined system of play.

Far better than reverting back to Bowyer, Powell etc. Happy for Atherton too tbh 
    Michael Atherton might actually do a better job than Challinor or Brady.
    So might I. 
    :-)
  • My only issue with Challinor is that at the clubs he's been at, Fylde and Stockport in particular, he's always had good budgets to work with for the level he's been at. 

He was well backed at Fylde to get them up the leagues, and certainly Stockport had a huge budget for the National league and even in league 2 it is better than most. I remember in the National league they signed Sarcevic who was captain of Bolton in league one.

So the question is how would he fare at a club where he isn't going to be given a huge budget.
    I'm pretty sure our wages paid are still one of the highest in this league, we have just spent really badly in the past few seasons
  • The last manager from League 2 did great, signed plenty of players from L2 as well for us.  That ended well.   
    That bloke had worked in League One before with Bristol Rovers, it didnt work out for him there, so perhaps a warning sign at the time for our owner.

Challinor is also a risk, but this time because he's unproven at this level.

However he's won promotion at all his clubs, so hope we dont buck the trend.
  • Sponsored links:

• PWADDICK said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Challinor is just Garner all over again in my opinion 
    An your reason for that is ?
    Manager who lost in league 2 play offs who we pull out to manage us
    Is that seriously your take on his career record or are you on the wind up? 
  • It really isn't an exact science when you appoint a manager to get you promoted:
    Or in JJ case be successful in taking the "worse Charlton squad in living memory" from 22nd to 13th.

Powell - Assistant at Leicester and ex player who thankfully knew a maverick French man.
    Bowyer- Fisherman and ex player who became an assistant to Robinson.
    Curbishley- ex player who became a joint manager with Gritt until Murray decided on Alan.

Three inexperienced managers given their first job but very experienced in playing football at a high level. Especially Chris and Lee with Alan a tad behind.

I will back who ever is chosen by Andy Scott and the Gerry Adams lookalike.

Welcome back Karel 🧺
  • From the only Stockport fan I know 

"DC has lots of credit in the bank with County fans due to him having played for us, the fact he has come up from lower leagues and of course got us into EFL. He likes a high pressing style. It's hard to fault anything he has done at Edgeley Park as every season we have moved forward. We haven't started well so there is a little more pressure building. 
    In a weird way he is untested at EFL level - the only criticism last season was a poor start (again replicated this season ) but from here he delivered stats that were better than any other team. At times we struggled to break down teams who simply sat back and it felt we lacked a plan B. We lacked a creative player but with Louie Barry we hope we have addressed this
    I think most County fans would be very sad to see him go. I'm not sure he would uproot to go to Charlton particularly as there is so much ambition and resource at County, but you never know!
    Cheers
    M."
    Good job we’ve got the poor start out of the way for him then 
  • Asked my mate about challinor and this is what I got… Can’t say it sounds too exciting and the general consensus I have seen from Stockport fans is he is struggling this year. 
    This sounds scarily familiar..
  • Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

The bloke who nobbled Martin Pringle!
    I would say 80 precent of our fans wouldn’t have a clue who Martin Pringle is?
    Funnily enough, I bumped into Martin Pringle in Bluewater, he was quite starstruck and tongue twisted, or was it the other way round…
  • If it is Challinor I'm expecting he'll be a disaster and gone by Christmas. Hope to be proved wrong of course but I just don't see it working well
  • Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

Funnily enough, I bumped into Martin Pringle in Bluewater, he was quite starstruck and tongue twisted, or was it the other way round…
    Was he still limping ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

I named my gold fish after him at the time, so I’m clearly the 20% 😢
  • JordanJLD said:
    Ferryman said:
    Scoham said:

I named my gold fish after him at the time, so I’m clearly the 20% 😢
    We had Pringle and Mendonca too! I would switch that and say 80% will know who he is! 
  • The last manager from League 2 did great, signed plenty of players from L2 as well for us.  That ended well.   
    Hiring a successful L2 manager worked out horrendously for Rob Edwards and Luton as well.
  • FWIW I’d be happy with Challinor or Brady. Certainly more inspiring than either Appleton or Cowley.
    Same. But I still think I’d prefer Richardson or Bowyer to both and I think they’d be realistic options 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!