Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Yann897 said:
    Billyboy said:
    What a pond we are now finishing in. With all due respect Stockport manager (lost 3 out of their first 5 games) and now the Northampton manager. 
    Glad we have billionaires owning the club that are clearly going for the cheap options and shows a complete lack of ambition.
    Who do you expect us to go for considering we are a league 1 club?...  who do you think we can attract?
    There mangers that have more experience than managing teams that play lower league football. The likes of Gary Monk plays a good brand of football and has been sucessful in the past. 
    The board now has the oppertunity to put down a marker to the fans what their intentions are and the managers of both Stockport and Northampton are hardly going to get the fans flooding back are they ?
    I’d rather Challinor or Brady over Monk, both with recent promotions and success. 
    Yea dont forget he got AFC Flyde promoted from the Northern league as well. With all due respect Bonne was prolific in League 2, look how he turned out 
    That was a quick deletion. 
    The internet on my phone is shit so didn't show as being posted. I deleted it to repost later. I wasn't quick enough though as someone already quoted it!
  • sam3110 said:
    This is gonna be the worst potential ITK post of all time but fuck it. 

Darren Moore just gave a talk at my job. Whilst saying goodbye to people Moore stated he is staying in London overnight and the host wished him luck for tomorrow.

No idea what he's doing tomorrow but hopefully he's interviewing to be our manager.
    Thought the interviews were yesterday and today, so if he's holding out for tomorrow he might be late. Maybe he interviewed yesterday and the announcement is tomorrow? So wished him luck as is "hope you get it"
    Genuinely no idea. Just posting what I observed. It's probably just wishful thinking!
  • We could have Sir Alex Ferguson with Arsene Wenger as his assistant. No-one is getting us in the top 6 with this squad.

It’s substantially worse than last season which was already miles off.

https://www.charltonafc.com/squad/8

• Some people think that because Challinor is at Stockport that he’s some how a poor appointment.

He has a better recent managerial record that pretty much everyone else on our radar, including Powell and Bowyer.

Stockport would beat us at the moment.
    Who couldn't beat us at the moment ? Even Newport done us 
  • I'm ok with Challinor.   We need a manager and pretty sharpish.

However, no manager, without significant improvement in our squad, is not going to do better than mid table mediocrity this season.

The squad isn't good enough to get promoted. 

• Just hope Challinor or whoever can bring their backroom staff with them too.

Holden | Garner | Adkins... None of them have been able to select their own staff.
    Notice that Challinor's Assistant is Clint Hill - Hopefully he can sort out Defence out.
    Another champ man legend
  • This is gonna be the worst potential ITK post of all time but fuck it. 

Darren Moore just gave a talk at my job. Whilst saying goodbye to people Moore stated he is staying in London overnight and the host wished him luck for tomorrow.

No idea what he's doing tomorrow but hopefully he's interviewing to be our manager.

Are you a Charlton academy lad 🤔
    Or did he give a speech on never pricing yourself out of a job even when you have reached targets set.
  • supaclive said:
    I'm ok with Challinor.   We need a manager and pretty sharpish.

However, no manager, without significant improvement in our squad, is not going to do better than mid table mediocrity this season.

If we bring in 3/4 plus when Fraser , Camara and Leaburn are fit our squad should definitely be strong enough for top 6 . Just need few good signings .
  • Scoham said:
    One thing I like about this is that if it all pans out it implies that Scott is doing a bit of thinking about what we've got. It would be an insane decision to spend the summer bringing in players (I know, I know) for a manager's 352 tactic and then sack him and get in a manager who wants to play 4231 or whatever. The players have been coached in a shape, we've signed a striker who works best in a 2, we've got enough central midfielders to fill a central 3, it would be so annoying to then shrug and realise we're a bit short of cover on the wings and don't have any 10s as the new manager tears all that up. Feels like Sandgaardy to just careen from one style to another aimlessly.
    Also, a manager who plays 352 but can keep a clean sheet? That would be very welcome

Good point! A technical Director is supposed to set the style of play and lead the recruitment of players and managers, so If a manager doesn't work out or is headhunted then a manager with the same preferred playing style is hired to avoid constant and expensive player churn. Thing is Scott has already had to sack his first appointment and if the next hire doesn't work I can imagine them both getting the push. Then it's back to the expensive player churn.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    One thing I like about this is that if it all pans out it implies that Scott is doing a bit of thinking about what we've got. It would be an insane decision to spend the summer bringing in players (I know, I know) for a manager's 352 tactic and then sack him and get in a manager who wants to play 4231 or whatever. The players have been coached in a shape, we've signed a striker who works best in a 2, we've got enough central midfielders to fill a central 3, it would be so annoying to then shrug and realise we're a bit short of cover on the wings and don't have any 10s as the new manager tears all that up. Feels like Sandgaardy to just careen from one style to another aimlessly.
    Also, a manager who plays 352 but can keep a clean sheet? That would be very welcome

Good point! A technical Director is supposed to set the style of play and lead the recruitment of players and managers, so If a manager doesn't work out or is headhunted then a manager with the same preferred playing style is hired to avoid constant and expensive player churn. Thing is Scott has already had to sack his first appointment and if the next hire doesn't work I can imagine them both getting the push. Then it's back to the expensive player churn.
    Exactly!!
  • My son has reminded me that it was Dave Challinor that broke Martin Pringle’s leg that led to Pringles retirement from football. 😟😫
  • edited August 2023
    Yann897 said:
    supaclive said:

If we bring in 3/4 plus when Fraser , Camara and Leaburn are fit our squad should definitely be strong enough for top 6 . Just need few good signings .
    Five games gone and we are WAY off the pace.
    You think it's as simple as getting 3 or 4 in tomorrow then you know, just getting Fraser, Camara and Leaburn fit to play (um, when is that then - end of September?!?!)
    You think we are going to go on an automatic promotion run of form and make the top 6 just like that?

Jesus.   I'll have some of what you are drinking !
  • supaclive said:
    Yann897 said:
    supaclive said:

Five games gone and we are WAY off the pace.
    You think it's as simple as getting 3 or 4 in tomorrow then you know, just getting Fraser, Camara and Leaburn fit to play (um, when is that then - end of September?!?!)
    You think we are going to go on an automatic promotion run of form and make the top 6 just like that?

Jesus.   I'll have some of what you are drinking !
    Yann897 is right 
  • This is gonna be the worst potential ITK post of all time but fuck it. 

Perhaps he's being interviewed for another managerial vacancy, where the current boss doesn't know he's about to be sacked  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Some people think that because Challinor is at Stockport that he’s some how a poor appointment.

He has a better recent managerial record that pretty much everyone else on our radar, including Powell and Bowyer.

Stockport would beat us at the moment.
    They beat us last season.
    Yea and Newport beat us this year. Lets interview their manager as well.
  • The last manager from League 2 did great, signed plenty of players from L2 as well for us.  That ended well.   
  • The last manager from League 2 did great, signed plenty of players from L2 as well for us.  That ended well.   
    Good thing it’s not the same bloke then isn’t it…

Not sure that’s the best way judge a potential incoming manager.
  • Won't end well again with Challinor. Poor appointment.

This is a very easy thing to say. Hardly any football managers are deemed to be successful.  It goes with the territory. More than half of the football managers in the top four divisions have been in their job for less than a year.  What would be remarkable would be to suggest that someone was a good manager and be proved correct.
  • supaclive said:
    Sam_777 said:
    Hard to tell if people are being genuine or facetious when saying legendary managers couldn’t get a tune out this mob. Regardless of how there may be some right crap in this team, a competent manager should be able to out-compete at least 17 of the shite clubs in this division & get top 6. 

I’m not accepting the squad is not good enough as an excuse, it’s such a red herring. 

These players are not coached correctly & regardless of what Holden said, there was no identity being built, no clear style, you can see that from his incoherent team selections. 

Garner was pants in the end but at least you could see a distinct style of play. 

Whoever they bring in needs to have a clear and concise idea of how they want to play & stick to it. Like Russell Martin said, have a plan A & don’t worry about b,c,d etc. just make plan A better. 

And this is the problem.   Some fans and the Gang of Four genuinely think this understrength squad full of four or five decent first teamers and a bunch of under 21s is good enough to compete over 46 games, nearly two games a week, with stronger sides.   And make the top 6.

Delusional.
    So you’re genuinely going to sit there & say Port Vale & Bristol Rovers have a better squad than us? 

Christ even Oxford, who have maybe  2/3 players i’d take in ours. 

Saying this squad is understrength is such a cop out, they players & coaches need to be BETTER, regardless of needing some title challenging players, they’re not playing to their level & adding a handful of class players won’t change that. 
  • My only issue with Challinor is that at the clubs he's been at, Fylde and Stockport in particular, he's always had good budgets to work with for the level he's been at. 

He was well backed at Fylde to get them up the leagues, and certainly Stockport had a huge budget for the National league and even in league 2 it is better than most. I remember in the National league they signed Sarcevic who was captain of Bolton in league one.

So the question is how would he fare at a club where he isn't going to be given a huge budget.
  • C'mon guys, has the firming up of a Darren Moore rumour shifted the betting odds?
  • Scoham said:

Sad really.

Is this what we have come too ?  No disrespect to any of the teams or their fans but interviewing managers at Stockport & Northampton is not my idea of success.

SE7 Partners have been in charge for 6 weeks & things are starting to unravel already.

Utter shambles.
    You should count your lucky stars Golfie, the search started at the Royal Oak and Erith & Belverdere, this is huge progress!! 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!