Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Thank god for that... Really wouldnt want Ferguson here - If he was any good, he wouldnt have spent most of his career at this level.
    I just want someone to get us out of league one though
    How do you prepare for survival / build a Championship team, if your Manager has a shite track record at that level. 

You either have to hope they buck the trend, or get rid...

How do you build on that promotion having to replace the Manager too? 

I'd prefer a Manager who can get us promoted from both League One and the Championship in the future - Mark Robins for example almost achieved that feat with Coventry a few months ago. 
    Thats a bit unfair isn't it? He has only managed Peterborough in the championship, it would be difficult for any manager to have kept them up given their budget.
    He's won promotion from League One three times, looks like he actually kept Posh up at the second attempt, but was sacked each year they ended up relegated.
    Sorry i wrongly worded that. I meant to say hes got them promoted but due to probably having a low budget  it would be hard for all managers to keep them up.
  • Apparently we are going through all the Ferguson's. We tried an audacious bid with Sir Alex's care home. Then we moved onto his son's. And apparently we have now turned to Massey. Not much tactical nous but can flatten anything placed in front of it...
  • BigDiddy said:
    You don’t want anyone who worked with Methven. Total scumbag. Can’t mention his name in Sunderland.

Message sent to me by someone who lives up there this morning.
    Thats encouraging seeing as he is our Chairman !
    FFS 
  • edited August 2023
    Could try and entice Harris away from the Gills. Although I’m not sure he would take a downwards step to go from Gills to Charlton but you could try. 
    It's funny because it's true

:'(
  • edited August 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• And don’t forget Rodwell knows MacAnthony. 
  • If they’ve got people lined up then good. At least that means they have a plan. 
    Suspect not though. 
  • If Ferguson turned down the chance to talk to us it must mean that MacAnthony gave him permission to.
    I suspect it's the opposite of that. I doubt Ferguson was given the choice.
  • If Ferguson turned down the chance to talk to us it must mean that MacAnthony gave him permission to.
    I suspect it's the opposite of that. I doubt Ferguson was given the choice.

MacAnthony confirmed the approach, but revealed that Ferguson had declined the opportunity to enter talks with the Addicks. 

'I have an agreement with Darren that I would tell him about any approach respectfully and he can then decide if he wants to talk to club,' MacAnthony said, as reported by Peterborough Telegraph.

'Thankfully he declined and fair play to him as he loves our project.'

• Steve Cotterill would be my choice from that list . 
    Organisational skills are great and he’d take no shit players who aren’t up for it . 
    Would be more than happy with that, what a career he has had so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Cotterill
    I can't tell if you're being serious or not. I never rated him and I'd be as excited to get him as I would be to get Lee Johnson 
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:
    It's a difficult time because we're the first club to sack their manager, and as such, interesting managers at other clubs haven't come free yet. 

I would not have been thrilled by Ferguson, but we could certainly do far worse. 

I'm sort of desperately looking at teams in the Championship and League One that have started slowly. I don't think Rotherham would part with Taylor, especially early on, but he would be a great get. Xisco at Sheff Wed would also be interesting, but I don't know that he'd need to drop down to League One unless he was set on managing and succeeding in England. 

So back to reality: 
    • Darren Moore: By all accounts a lovely guy. Think he did the right think being asked to be paid like a Championship manager at Sheff Wed. I just think he's probably holding out for a Championship job, and more importantly, I don't think his style fits our squad. At all. 
    • Bowyer: Never go back. 2018/19 was great. I think Bowyer did the best he could in 19/20. But I think people forget just how bereft of ideas he was at the end of his time here. And generally, he accomplished a lot here and I think it would be a real risk to him coming back now.
    • Robinson: Okay, my unpopular opinion is that this is a squad that would suit Robinson's system and style of play. Would I bring him back? Only if I absolutely couldn't get anyone else. But he did pretty well at Oxford, seemed to become a little more tactically flexible.
    • Bonner: I'm always a little worried about giving managers who have been at one club for a while a big step up. He's definitely done well with the resources at his disposal at Cambridge. 4-2-3-1 is what I think this squad will end up playing. 
    • Ritchie Wellens: I think this is very, very unlikely but he obviously did incredibly well with Orient last year. I like the way he wants to play football even if I think he made a poor substitution bringing off Piggot and not replacing him with a CF on opening day. 
    • Grant McCann: Makes sense that we would move on from Ferguson to McCann. 
    • Michael Appleton: I no longer know what type of manager Appleton is, I only know him as a meme.
    • Nathan Jones: I suspect he was (or should have been) humbled by his time at Soton. I don't think he was League One humbled, and I don't think a diamond suits this team. 
    • Euell/Pearce: I doubt Pearce is in line for it. Euell seems like a decent coach but I feel like he needs a senior managerial job, and also, I feel like this club could use some fresh blood from a coaching perspective.
    • Steve Cotterill: Cheekbones you could set your watch by. He's been around forever, and I really struggle to remember any of his sides. That's not necessarily a knock on him, it might be more about me and my memory, but he seems to be gradually working his way down the leagues.
    • Danny Cowley: There was a time when he seemed quite intriguing, but things didn't end well at Hudds and didn't seem to go well at Portsmouth and I'm now quite skeptical. I think he is a cautionary tale for someone like a Bonner--making the step up and falling short.
    • Warburton: He did alright with QPR, but it's weird to me that he hasn't had a job since. I don't know if that was by choice. 
    • Lee Johnson: There was a time when he was considered a bright young manager. It will be him I suspect.

It's, not an inspiring list. I really hope Rodwell has a deep rolladex with coaches who aren't his friends. I do think this could be a good job for a Championship Assistant looking to break into management (what we tried to do with Beale). Right now it just feels like there isn't a whole lot out there. I think Holden had to go, he'd hit his ceiling and he was bumping up against it. But sacking a manager is only half of the equation. Would this lot be okay to let Pearcey go 2-3 weeks to see who comes available? I doubt it given how poorly we've started, but we'll see.
    Warburton left Brentford because he wanted final veto as to who they signed. As much as I wouldn't mind him getting the job, I'm sure one sniff of how this regime works will mean that he won't even get to the stage of putting his application in. 
  • SDAddick said:
    It's a difficult time because we're the first club to sack their manager, and as such, interesting managers at other clubs haven't come free yet. 

I would not have been thrilled by Ferguson, but we could certainly do far worse. 

I'm sort of desperately looking at teams in the Championship and League One that have started slowly. I don't think Rotherham would part with Taylor, especially early on, but he would be a great get. Xisco at Sheff Wed would also be interesting, but I don't know that he'd need to drop down to League One unless he was set on managing and succeeding in England. 

So back to reality: 
    • Darren Moore: By all accounts a lovely guy. Think he did the right think being asked to be paid like a Championship manager at Sheff Wed. I just think he's probably holding out for a Championship job, and more importantly, I don't think his style fits our squad. At all. 
    • Bowyer: Never go back. 2018/19 was great. I think Bowyer did the best he could in 19/20. But I think people forget just how bereft of ideas he was at the end of his time here. And generally, he accomplished a lot here and I think it would be a real risk to him coming back now.
    • Robinson: Okay, my unpopular opinion is that this is a squad that would suit Robinson's system and style of play. Would I bring him back? Only if I absolutely couldn't get anyone else. But he did pretty well at Oxford, seemed to become a little more tactically flexible.
    • Bonner: I'm always a little worried about giving managers who have been at one club for a while a big step up. He's definitely done well with the resources at his disposal at Cambridge. 4-2-3-1 is what I think this squad will end up playing. 
    • Ritchie Wellens: I think this is very, very unlikely but he obviously did incredibly well with Orient last year. I like the way he wants to play football even if I think he made a poor substitution bringing off Piggot and not replacing him with a CF on opening day. 
    • Grant McCann: Makes sense that we would move on from Ferguson to McCann. 
    • Michael Appleton: I no longer know what type of manager Appleton is, I only know him as a meme.
    • Nathan Jones: I suspect he was (or should have been) humbled by his time at Soton. I don't think he was League One humbled, and I don't think a diamond suits this team. 
    • Euell/Pearce: I doubt Pearce is in line for it. Euell seems like a decent coach but I feel like he needs a senior managerial job, and also, I feel like this club could use some fresh blood from a coaching perspective.
    • Steve Cotterill: Cheekbones you could set your watch by. He's been around forever, and I really struggle to remember any of his sides. That's not necessarily a knock on him, it might be more about me and my memory, but he seems to be gradually working his way down the leagues.
    • Danny Cowley: There was a time when he seemed quite intriguing, but things didn't end well at Hudds and didn't seem to go well at Portsmouth and I'm now quite skeptical. I think he is a cautionary tale for someone like a Bonner--making the step up and falling short.
    • Warburton: He did alright with QPR, but it's weird to me that he hasn't had a job since. I don't know if that was by choice. 
    • Lee Johnson: There was a time when he was considered a bright young manager. It will be him I suspect.

It's, not an inspiring list. I really hope Rodwell has a deep rolladex with coaches who aren't his friends. I do think this could be a good job for a Championship Assistant looking to break into management (what we tried to do with Beale). Right now it just feels like there isn't a whole lot out there. I think Holden had to go, he'd hit his ceiling and he was bumping up against it. But sacking a manager is only half of the equation. Would this lot be okay to let Pearcey go 2-3 weeks to see who comes available? I doubt it given how poorly we've started, but we'll see.

I'm surprised Leam Richardson doesn't seem to be fancied by the bookies. He got Wigan promoted from L1 not long ago, so has proven success at this level (plus as assistant to Paul Cook), and been available since they sacked him a year ago, so might be "desperate" to get back into management

• Leam Richardson, Darren Moore, got promoted with the highest spending teams.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Leam Richardson, Darren Moore, got promoted with the highest spending teams.
    I believe Richardson is on the shortlist 
    How is that possible, if the 'Skint' brigade are to be believed?
  • Major said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Leam Richardson, Darren Moore, got promoted with the highest spending teams.
    I believe Richardson is on the shortlist 
    How is that possible, if the 'Skint' brigade are to be believed?
    Certain set of fans been against the group from day 1 and always going to say that.. Holden just cost 500K to sack. 

Those fans, also believe Holden is blameless. For me, it is both parties, we haven't got enough players through the door, that is either because we haven't sold the club well enough, or didn't want to work with Holden. 

Holden wanted a smaller squad of around 16 players, plus academy players coming through, he got his main man in May, despite better options being available to sign. 

Not sure many clubs in league One have spent as much as us this year in transfer fees, loan fees or signing on fees. 

Suppose the next appointment and the type of contact, will suggest if they are skint or not!
  • What no Graham Potter -have you all lost your senses
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!