Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Oddly more excited by the Challinor news than any other manager I've heard about so far. Maybe it's just because he doesn't have L1 failure on his CV yet but Cowley and Appleton do not spark joy. Challinor feels like a manager on the up for the most part, though I'm sure we can find a way to bring him down
    It's the childhood memories of Tranmere's cup runs and his big long throw, admit it
  • edited August 2023
    Bailey said:
    With all these 'failed managers' being mentioned, I'd rather go with Pearce and see how it works out.
    Thing is Cowley (if it’s him) isn’t a failed manager. He’s known success and seen relative failure but he’s pretty much exactly the type of manager who we could reasonably expect to attract. Bigger names are not dropping into Division three especially to a club that is perceived and seen to be in a maelstrom. The only other options are similar to Cowley like Appleton or an up and coming Division four manager. Might work out or it could go the way of Garner. Either route is a punt. 
    Bailey said:
    With all these 'failed managers' being mentioned, I'd rather go with Pearce and see how it works out.
    Thing is Cowley (if it’s him) isn’t a failed manager. He’s known success and seen relative failure but he’s pretty much exactly the type of manager who we could reasonably expect to attract. Bigger names are not dropping into Division three especially to a club that is perceived and seen to be in a maelstrom. The only other options are similar to Cowley like Appleton or an up and coming Division four manager. Might work out or it could go the way of Garner. Either route is a punt. 
    Agree totally so why not take a punt on Pearce and if that doesn't work take a punt on one of these or whoever is available at the time? Two punts for the price of one surely. 
    Pearce has been in full time coaching less than two years and always effectively under supervision. That’s not even a punt compared to someone like Challinor or Richardson. It’s the cheapest of cheap option with a ready made fall guy. Having said that it’s worked before.
  • NabySarr said:
    The other thing to consider is that he prefers 3-5-2, I actually don't particularly like that formation but considering the squad we have built has had that formation in mind (barring needing some wingback cover and another striker) its probably not the worst thing to have a manager coming in that can build on what has been started.

I wonder if 3 5 2 is how the club want to play and is set by Andy Scott himself so that we have a style of play/ philosophy, and any manager is chosen around this and aware. Holden was known for playing 3 5 2 and may be why he was chosen at first. Do the youth teams play this?

The issue we have seen for some time now is that we have had no technical structure above youth teams and such a high turnover of managers and staff with players recruited with no thought to how we want to play or system. 
    I think it would make sense as a strategy considering we signed May. But not signing a left footed centre back or enough wing backs would probably hint towards the fact that we still have no idea what we are doing 

I agree we have holes that is clear but the mess and unbalance of the recruitment before may hinder and take time.

Think someone mentioned earlier that CBT had been offered around. Which may be think that actually if you have this preferred system that he don’t suit it would make sense why they may be open to him going now.  

• edited August 2023
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Agree totally so why not take a punt on Pearce and if that doesn't work take a punt on one of these or whoever is available at the time? Two punts for the price of one surely. 
    Pearce has been in full time coaching less than two years and always effectively under supervision. That’s not even a punt compared to someone like Challinor or Richardson. It’s the cheapest of cheap option with a ready made fall guy. Having said that it’s worked before.
    How long had Curbs and Bowyer been in full time coaching? Not only has it worked before but it seems to be successful more often than not for us, as opposed to bringing a 'proven' manager in.
  • A big fan of Challinor at Stockport but they've made a slow start this season. They play some good football and I was surprised they didn't win promotion last season.

Has a good managerial CV but might be a risk at this level - Stockport have good ownership and I'm not sure how he'd work with our ownership.

• Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Because then you burn Pearce as a future option. He’s about a year into coaching the youth teams, let him sit there for a couple of years to gain some experience. Managers don’t tend to last more than 3 years so he won’t have to wait for too long 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oddly more excited by the Challinor news than any other manager I've heard about so far. Maybe it's just because he doesn't have L1 failure on his CV yet but Cowley and Appleton do not spark joy. Challinor feels like a manager on the up for the most part, though I'm sure we can find a way to bring him down
    And yet Challinor was sacked with his club in a National League relegation spot. His subsequent success elsewhere shows that one failure doesn't define him but it's a reminder that even the best normally have a blot 
     on their record.
  • It is reported that every manager in the known universe is going to be interviewed (bar Ferguson), so eat that Meire!
  • fenaddick said:
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Because then you burn Pearce as a future option. He’s about a year into coaching the youth teams, let him sit there for a couple of years to gain some experience. Managers don’t tend to last more than 3 years so he won’t have to wait for too long 
    I don't see that. You don't appoint him as manager, you make him a caretaker and consider alternatives. If it isn't going well you don't sack him but put him back where he was and focus on the work you are already doing on finding an alternative. In a year or two or three it wouldn't be unreasonable to give him another chance.
  • My worst nightmare is if Cowley got the job, a family friends husband would come in as part of his backroom team. 
  • Suppose its what the SMT are looking for is it

Experience at our level or higher in Cowley and appleton but a fair bit of failure already on there CV

or an unproven lower league manager who hasnt had the chance yet at our level but has proven success and promotions already

I dont even know which one i would go for tbh both have there risks
  • My worst nightmare is if Cowley got the job, a family friends husband would come in as part of his backroom team. 
    Think of the possibilities. You could become an official ITK

• at least he'll sort out the long throw problem : - )

Interesting choice, been pretty successful in Management so far

Never taken charge of a League One club though

+++ wasn't this the guy that broke Martin Pringles leg in two places?
  • Sponsored links:

• at least he'll sort out the long throw problem : - )

Interesting choice, been pretty successful in Management so far

Never taken charge of a League One club though

+++ wasn't this the guy that broke Martin Pringles leg in two places?
    Yep it was ... Seen later posts.  Not happy if he gets the job whether he's a good manager or not.  
  • The Stockport County boss has opened up on his tackle in 2002 which resulted in Martin Pringle retiring from professional football
    https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/dave-challinor-grimsby-town-tackle-6951084
  • Be amazed if Pearce doesn't get the job
  • edited August 2023
    Most of our successful managers have lived relatively local to the valley. Curbs, Powell, Bowyer etc.

Are we better off getting a southern guy like Cowley (who has lived in Essex for large parts of his life) than having a Karl Robinson, Dean Holden situation where we ask the manager to live in a hotel away from their family whilst managing us.

I.e. is a manager that is more settled in the area a better option than asking Leam Richardson or Dave Challinor to uproot and relocate?
  • So for those that enjoy that stupid joke with the Korean name, for the manager job we’ve been linked to Fookin evry-wun
  • edited August 2023
    Chunes said:
    I wonder if Jon Brady from Northampton Town will be considered.

Overcame a mass of injury woes to still gain automatic promotion from L2 last season.

Has the legendary Colin Calderwood as his assistant manager, ready to bring in and sort out the defence. 
    Pleased to hear it

• clive said:
    The Stockport County boss has opened up on his tackle in 2002 which resulted in Martin Pringle retiring from professional football
    https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/dave-challinor-grimsby-town-tackle-6951084
    Yes read that earlier. Recall Palmer saying those comments at the time. I thought they had sacked him due to it.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I wonder if Jon Brady from Northampton Town will be considered.

Overcame a mass of injury woes to still gain automatic promotion from L2 last season.

Has the legendary Colin Calderwood as his assistant manager, ready to bring in and sort out the defence. 
    Pleased to hear it

Not sure how I'd feel about having an Aussie in charge, seems to be working for Spurs I guess :)
  • Asked my mate about challinor and this is what I got… Can’t say it sounds too exciting and the general consensus I have seen from Stockport fans is he is struggling this year. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!