Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Leuth said:
    fenaddick said:

at least he'll sort out the long throw problem : - )

I hope that isn’t representative of the calibre of ‘in work’ managers we’re interviewing. Done a very good job at Stockport but feels like we’d be a big step up for him
    Are we that big a step up right now?
    In theory we should be, although having watched us play Stockport last year it wasn’t very evident. There are some things that are different though, larger fan base, access to better youth players (I’d assume), expectation of Championship football etc 
  • PWADDICK said:
    If he doesn’t come to us, not sure I’d be too happy as a Stockport fan seeing that my manager was looking elsewhere!
    Not sure they can complain too much considering they stole him from Hartlepool from the league below 
  • Challinor is very much a 3-5-2 man. I don’t have a problem with it but I’m sure some will 
  • edited August 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Challinor is very much a 3-5-2 man. I don’t have a problem with it but I’m sure some will 
    Fully qualified Physiotherapist has a first class Hons degree which augers well, two for the price of one 😉. On the downside he effectively finished Martin Pringles career with a tackle that broke his leg in two places. Also was an exponent of a very long throw (world record holder apparently), keep practicing Alfie 😩.
  • RedChaser said:
    PWADDICK said:
    If he doesn’t come to us, not sure I’d be too happy as a Stockport fan seeing that my manager was looking elsewhere!
    He’s an absolute legend at Stockport as other North West based Addicks can confirm.
    He also walked out on Hartlepool to take the Stockport job in the first place, which wasn't received well by the former fans seeing he'd just won them promotion to League Two.

• At least he'll sort out the long throw problem : - )

Would be surprised by this one, if it happens, as Stockport seem a well run club with serious backing from a committed owner but I guess we're still a bigger club.

Also, always seen him as a northern lad.

But an interview is not the same as an appointment.

Looking at his career, he's never worked further south than North Wales! I imagine he considers Stoke as being full of southern softies  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    NabySarr said:
    Challinor is very much a 3-5-2 man. I don’t have a problem with it but I’m sure some will 
    Fully qualified Physiotherapist has a first class Hons degree which augers well, two for the price of one 😉. On the downside he effectively finished Martin Pringles career with a tackle that broke his leg in two places. Also was an exponent of a very long throw (world record holder apparently), keep practicing Alfie 😩.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/palmer-fines-challinor-1169264
  • Challinor wasn’t even on the bookies odds was he?
  • Challinor signed a 3 year contract in the summer so I would think he’s probably unlikely as we’d have to pay a decent compensation fee for him 
  • I would suggest that false information is being shared by someone in authority at the club with the intention of shaping public opinion. It is mixed in with accurate stuff to build confidence in the source and because sometimes it is useful to get accurate stuff out there. 

This may be done through an intermediary in order to preserve official deniability. Ultimately the people briefing other fans get burnt because they are being used to spread useful misinformation. That’s the point of it.
    Looks like a new appointment will be in 2025
  • The Cowley Brothers would get the players fitter as they are ex PE teachers but unfortunately can't do anything for Chuks as they don't perform miracles. 

Down to earth Football guys who learnt their trade around the lower pyramid.

For me no hissy fit and say I won't go anymore if Johnson, Cowley, Appleton etc gets the gig but can any manager get me to go back regularly after giving up my season ticket after the guitar man said we would blow league one out of the water and I smelt bullshit.
  • The Cowley Brothers would get the players fitter as they are ex PE teachers but unfortunately can't do anything for Chuks as they don't perform miracles. 

This is a good point, maybe we should look towards The Church
  • edited August 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Challinor signed a 3 year contract in the summer so I would think he’s probably unlikely as we’d have to pay a decent compensation fee for him 
    Sounds perfect, we love wanking away our budget on managers Compo. Admittedly, it's usually so they will leave rather than join us. Just imagine how much he's gonna cost including the sacking fee next Easter.
  • edited August 2023
    RedChaser said:
    NabySarr said:
    Read Pat Nevin's new book the other day and he talked about this - apparently Challinor came up from the youth team for a game and suddenly lobbed a throw in about 2/3rds of the way up the pitch.

None of them knew he could do it, and he thought nothing of it so hadn't mentioned it ar all.  

Imagine realising half way through a match that you had a weapon like that in your arsenal.  Ah, cool, turns out us getting a throw in anywhere in their half is basically like a free kick.
  • Sponsored links:

• The other thing to consider is that he prefers 3-5-2, I actually don't particularly like that formation but considering the squad we have built has had that formation in mind (barring needing some wingback cover and another striker) its probably not the worst thing to have a manager coming in that can build on what has been started.
  • Bailey said:
    With all these 'failed managers' being mentioned, I'd rather go with Pearce and see how it works out.
    Thing is Cowley (if it’s him) isn’t a failed manager. He’s known success and seen relative failure but he’s pretty much exactly the type of manager who we could reasonably expect to attract. Bigger names are not dropping into Division three especially to a club that is perceived and seen to be in a maelstrom. The only other options are similar to Cowley like Appleton or an up and coming Division four manager. Might work out or it could go the way of Garner. Either route is a punt. 
  • I have honestly never heard of the Stockport manager until right now but if we are not going to see the return of our most successful manager in the last 15 years then I would much prefer someone like him who seems on the up still then another random manager with multiple recent failings on their record.  
  • This is such a exciting transfer deadline day waiting to see our new signings and manager. 
    When’s the Tunbridge angels managers interview. 😬
  • If Challinor gets the job, I'll finally be ITK.
  • edited August 2023
    The other thing to consider is that he prefers 3-5-2, I actually don't particularly like that formation but considering the squad we have built has had that formation in mind (barring needing some wingback cover and another striker) its probably not the worst thing to have a manager coming in that can build on what has been started.

I wonder if 3 5 2 is how the club want to play and is set by Andy Scott himself so that we have a style of play/ philosophy, and any manager is chosen around this and aware. Holden was known for playing 3 5 2 and may be why he was chosen at first. Do the youth teams play this?

The issue we have seen for some time now is that we have had no technical structure above youth teams and such a high turnover of managers and staff with players recruited with no thought to how we want to play or system. This is the reason we have some many players we are stuck with.
  • NabySarr said:
    Challinor signed a 3 year contract in the summer so I would think he’s probably unlikely as we’d have to pay a decent compensation fee for him 
    On 24 September 2021, Challinor signed a new three year contract to remain as manager of Hartlepool. On 1 November 2021, Challinor announced his intentions to step down from the position & take the job at Stockport.
  • Bailey said:
    With all these 'failed managers' being mentioned, I'd rather go with Pearce and see how it works out.
    Thing is Cowley (if it’s him) isn’t a failed manager. He’s known success and seen relative failure but he’s pretty much exactly the type of manager who we could reasonably expect to attract. Bigger names are not dropping into Division three especially to a club that is perceived and seen to be in a maelstrom. The only other options are similar to Cowley like Appleton or an up and coming Division four manager. Might work out or it could go the way of Garner. Either route is a punt. 
    Bailey said:
    Agree totally so why not take a punt on Pearce and if that doesn't work take a punt on one of these or whoever is available at the time? Two punts for the price of one surely. 
  • The other thing to consider is that he prefers 3-5-2, I actually don't particularly like that formation but considering the squad we have built has had that formation in mind (barring needing some wingback cover and another striker) its probably not the worst thing to have a manager coming in that can build on what has been started.

I wonder if 3 5 2 is how the club want to play and is set by Andy Scott himself so that we have a style of play/ philosophy, and any manager is chosen around this and aware. Holden was known for playing 3 5 2 and may be why he was chosen at first. Do the youth teams play this?

The issue we have seen for some time now is that we have had no technical structure above youth teams and such a high turnover of managers and staff with players recruited with no thought to how we want to play or system. 
    I think it would make sense as a strategy considering we signed May. But not signing a left footed centre back or enough wing backs would probably hint towards the fact that we still have no idea what we are doing 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!