Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Cowley would be hugely uninspiring. Down naff-all since leaving Lincoln.
    2019/20: full season with Huddersfield, finished 18th in the Championship

2020/21: 12 games at the back end of the season with Portsmouth - winning six (two draws, four losses). Team were in 10th and ended the season in 8th.

2021/22: full season with Portsmouth, finished 10th. 20 games won out of 46 (13 draws, 13 losses)

2022/23: 22 games with Portsmouth, sacked after 1-3 defeat to Charlton. Team was in 12th and finished season in 8th. Record: W7 D10 L5

Very respectable record imo, would certainly steer us closer to promotion than relegation and for now that will do. We get it wrong we could be in a relegation fight in all seriousness.

The amount of draws is staggering though, makes me wonder if it's a playstyle issue or player quality issue. It's not like Huddersfield or Portsmouth have squads overflowing with quality and they were pivotal in Lincoln's growth as a club, could argue thet wouldn't be where they are now without him.

Out of all the realistic options this seems the most sound to me if we aren't including ex Charlton managers..
    Almost certainly a style issue, at least in part. From memory (and what fans at those clubs said) the idea seems to be going into every game with the primary aim of "not losing" and if you happen to win well that's a bonus.

The actual football is fairly dour and basic but effective.
  • Expect CBT would be happy too….he tends to always play a blinder against Portsmouth so will be the first name on the team sheet (& not at wing back hopefully!)
  • So we are still going with they sacked Holden and staff without knowing who replaces them?

Im not buying that. 

• JamesSeed said:
    Whoever the new manager is, I’m not expecting miracles. We need a major reboot at the club from top to bottom. Even with our best players fit and playing each week we’re barely top six material as it stands. Recruit three starters tomorrow and I might change my mind, but can’t see that happening. 
    Still, fingers crossed eh. Same procedure as every year James.
    Sounds like Charlton.

Same procedure as every year James. 

I will do my best.
  • Fast attacking high energy football - the Cowley’s philosophy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dLMVWU3K3MA
  • I’m confident that it’s not true at this point that the club have gone back to Chris Powell. If people are being briefed otherwise then they should doubt the integrity of their sources.
    So your source is right everyone else's source is wrong?

I do not believe that powell is in the running, or bowyer. We will end up with Appleton or Johnson in my opinion but you do come across as very rude and abrupt sometimes
    How on Earth is that rude? I’d read your post as MUCH more rude and aggressive. He’s just made a simple statement !! 
    I suppose it's rude to insinuate that the people should doubt the integrity of their sources. 

That bit didn't need adding. I am confident people are simply sharing what they're being told. I find it interesting either way but then I have no agenda to push. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Trying to think, which managers have had greater success than before, after returning to a club they previously left/were sacked from ?
  • Been every game this season where's the statement signing then ? If it's another couple of loans I'm probably giving Saturday a miss.
  • I've wanted Danny Cowley to be our manager for a long time. I will be delighted if it finally happens.
  • edited August 2023
    So we appoint a new manager based on how they like their teams to play, but they will join with a fixed squad they can't change. So the worst thing I could hear when interviewing would be about how the manager wants/likes to play and it would be far better to hear how they believe what we have can be maximised. I think the word for it is pragmatism. 

It would be fine if they said they wanted to play a certain way over time. Our squad doesn't lend itself to a long ball game but if it did, that is how the manager should decide to play. Basically the strengths and weaknesses of the players have to dictate our style within reason with a view to winning games.

I think there will always be a pool of credible managers to choose from so giving Pearce a few games seems sensible. If it doesn't work out, he would be easy to move back to where he was and if it does you just keep extending him until it doesn't and if it goes very well make a decsion at the end of the season. I don't know how succesful Pearce might be as much as any of you, but I can't say any on the list I am seeing would be either, all of them ave succeeded to some extent and failed.

By giving Pearce a shot you are giving yourself two chances to get it right which I think is better than one. We know that managers who have been successful for us like Curbs and Bowyer were the cheap options, promoted from within. Then you look at the managers we have brought in from outside and you are looking at Powell (although he had links with the club and was unproven so could fall into the group with Curbs and Bowyer also) and then you have to go all the way back to Lawrence! There is a long list of managers brought in who have not been successful!
  • Cowley would feel a very meh appointment but if they sort out the defence then I will quickly get on board, I hate how weak we have been in defence the last few years. 
  • edited August 2023
    Played football with a lad who works at a football league club yesterday. Reckoned Appleton was one of the best managers he had worked with and is convinced that given the right backing he would be a success at any club. Also said CBT had been offered to his current club this week, didn't know whether it was by Charlton or his agent. 
  • I know it doesn’t mean much, but Cowley dropped from 3/1 to 10/11 overnight 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Trying to think, which managers have had greater success than before, after returning to a club they previously left/were sacked from ?
    David Moyes in extremely recent history
  • Sponsored links:

• It shows where we are as a club, that all the "options" are a bit meh.  Although they might not have a great track record elsewhere but it might click for them here.

But more likely we will rinsing and repeating next season in August/September/October.
  • Cowley plain average with Portsmouth
    And people are happy with that
    End the season now
  • So we are still going with they sacked Holden and staff without knowing who replaces them?

Im not buying that. 

So, where is the evidence to support your statement? I would like to share your opinion (ie; that they have a plan and are executing...) but regrettably we are going to the end of the transfer window blind, no sign of the 'planned' appointment(s) being made etc. and therefore we are limping into the season without a plan and no squad to speak of.

• Cowley would be hugely uninspiring. Down naff-all since leaving Lincoln.
    2019/20: full season with Huddersfield, finished 18th in the Championship

2020/21: 12 games at the back end of the season with Portsmouth - winning six (two draws, four losses). Team were in 10th and ended the season in 8th.

2021/22: full season with Portsmouth, finished 10th. 20 games won out of 46 (13 draws, 13 losses)

2022/23: 22 games with Portsmouth, sacked after 1-3 defeat to Charlton. Team was in 12th and finished season in 8th. Record: W7 D10 L5

Very respectable record imo, would certainly steer us closer to promotion than relegation and for now that will do. We get it wrong we could be in a relegation fight in all seriousness.

The amount of draws is staggering though, makes me wonder if it's a playstyle issue or player quality issue. It's not like Huddersfield or Portsmouth have squads overflowing with quality and they were pivotal in Lincoln's growth as a club, could argue thet wouldn't be where they are now without him.

Out of all the realistic options this seems the most sound to me if we aren't including ex Charlton managers..
    I think it's a pretty shit record to be honest.

He's done nothing in the past 3-4 years that suggests he's the man to get us heading in the right direction.
  • edited August 2023
    Steven81 said:
    Been every game this season where's the statement signing then ? If it's another couple of loans I'm probably giving Saturday a miss.
    The signings are a statement, just not in the way we all hoped. 

Im not buying that. 

Why not ?

The fact that its been 4 days & we seem to be rummaging in the bargain bins of ex- League 1 failures says to me that there was no one in mind.

And IF Cowley is to be our next manager we might just well have stuck with Holden. 
  • cabbles said:
    Really doesn’t matter who the next manager is because if we don’t upgrade the team between now and tomorrow night it will just be the same shite.
    This is the problem.  I bet we get an initial bounce.  We had something similar under Jackson, and Holden got a little patch of results after his first 3 games.  I mentioned y’day I think we’re catching the Cowley’s on their way down, but it doesn’t matter if it’s them, Appleton or giving someone like Jason Pearce the reigns, that squad, even with the potential additions being touted won’t be good enough.

One of the worst things is that we’re gonna burn the likes of Anderson and Asimwe if this is the route we’re going down.  They don’t deserve it.  Even the likes Campbell (our Campbell) is literally still a youth player.  He, Leaburn, Ness etc, suddenly considered first teamers purely on the basis they had their breakthrough seasons last year (technically).

Spot on
  • Cowley and Appleton are panic managers. Toss of a coin type managers. Short term managers. Has to be Wilder or Bowyer. 
    Fancy being turned down by Ferguson FFS, how low can we go. Would be great now to get up and running and stuff Peterborough at the Valley. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!