Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• edited August 2023
    I don’t want another young project type coach, they are long term appointments, we clearly haven’t got the patience for that.  I want someone who’s been there and done it, this league makes me sick.  
  • sam3110 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    The in work bit is what surprises me , I'm wondering if there's maybe some PL2/academy type managers in that group. Because beyond Mark Bonner I'm struggling with names of in work managers that would be of interest. 
    Wild of Barrow has been mentioned in a couple of articles

Pete Wilds name comes up with a lot of League 1 vacancies it seems. I don't honestly know a whole lot about him bar his stint at Oldham when he was thrown in at the deep end from their academy and won at Fulham in the FA Cup. 
  • No disrespect intended to Dubai or Damo, but if this is being briefed by someone in a position to know, directly or indirectly, I am confident they are not telling the truth.

That's better. Point across without being rude!
  • I want Colin.

This club needs another Wanker.
  • Doesn't sound like Jason will be in the running for the job on a Permanent basis, at least not at this moment in time - If it drags on, and he does well, that might change
  • PWADDICK said:
    I love Powelly as much as the next person, but we need someone who is ‘current’ and knows the modern game, he hasn’t managed since 2019, wrong choice in my opinion
    England coach and then at Spurs Academy & you think he doesn't know the modern game?
    This with 100 bells on.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    sam3110 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    The in work bit is what surprises me , I'm wondering if there's maybe some PL2/academy type managers in that group. Because beyond Mark Bonner I'm struggling with names of in work managers that would be of interest. 
    Wild of Barrow has been mentioned in a couple of articles

Pete Wilds name comes up with a lot of League 1 vacancies it seems. I don't honestly know a whole lot about him bar his stint at Oldham when he was thrown in at the deep end from their academy and won at Fulham in the FA Cup. 
    It’s an interesting name for sure. Would have to be wary of it being a Garner part 2 situation but he’s built himself a solid reputation over a few years at Halifax and now at Barrow.

The last manager poached from Barrow hasn’t done too badly at his current club.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Wouldn't write off Powell just yet!
    I'll get the coffees in
  • Much as I rate Chris Powell, I think either him or Curbs would have struggled to have got a tune out of this squad.
  • With us Powell struggled when given someone else's squad and was expected to find a way to get more out of them. Where he excelled was in building a squad of the right characters and personalities that suited his management style. He got them to buy into what he wanted and they were all willing to put their bodies on the line for him.

Bowyer was different. Don't know if it's about his tougher approach makes him able to give players that kick up the arse but last time around he got much more out of Gobbos squad than Gobbo did. But things went sour over time when players got fed up with his style. 

With the window about to close and no time to really build a squad I do wonder about whether SCP would be able to get enough extra out of this bunch. I really don't think there are enough of the right type of characters in there for him to work. 

Bow might be able to give them a kick up the backside at least in the short term that might work.
    Bowyer seems to be a decent impact manager. There also seems to be a touch of Mourinho in him too, in that after a period of time his methods seem to lose their impact.
  • Appleton is the ultimate uninspiring journeyman - we can surely aim higher. 

Can't imagine anybody half decent would want the job.
    How high should we be aiming if nobody half decent wants the job?

Sounds like we’re aiming at exactly the right height.
  • I've always thought Pearce would make a good coach, based on nothing in particular just think he could be suited to the role. 

We seemingly only do well with ex players in charge, so on that basis Powell or Bowyer will do for me. Any other lower league journeyman is destined to fail as we've seen far too many times recently 
  • WSS said:
    Would Chris Powell want to commit 70 hours a week minimum to Charlton Athletic as manager ? 
    I thought he had other projects on the go at the moment.

I remember the Dagenham away match well and I would hate to see middle age/old men giving Chris abuse again if he couldn't turn around the fortunes of this small squad(will get a tad bigger)
    I believe we were on a run of lost 6 out of 7 with the squad that Powell had no input with before that depressing day on the Essex borders. 

Powell/Dyer/Chappel had the whole summer window to use their contacts to change the squad.

I personally thought it might suit Chris to be the shoulder to lean on and go left field with Ryan Mason.
    Makes me feel sick:

Ross Worner
    Christian Dailly
    Matt Fry
    Carl Jenkinson
    Miguel Angel Llera
    Alan McCormack
    Jose Semedo
    Dean Parrett
    Scott Wagstaff
    Frank Nouble
    Bradley Wright-Phillips
    Didn’t realize that was the team that day.
    Terrible game .
    Peacock was very pissed off with the abuse.
    I actually managed to speak with Dailly after the match. He apologized for the performance that afternoon of the team.

Would love to see Powell back , but SMT must work with him. Think that’s very unlikely.
  • Not going to lie, think it's a pretty huge red flag with Powell that literally the one place he's had success with is with us a pretty long time ago. He just strikes me as a great assistant manager in all honesty but I'd want someone else building the squad and managing them, and he'd seem like someone great to have on the coaching staff in training.

Other managers at this level who I know enough about to suggest instead though is obviously a small list, but Powell just seems a bit of a desperate choice.
  • I’m confused. 

Has the club spoken to Powell or not?

Has a realistic proposal been given to him or not?
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully in the short term Pearce can be relied on to sort out our defence and then whoever the new manager ends up being they don't throw that away.
  • Like the player who he drove to the training ground himself who was so forgettable I dont remember his name.
  • Not going to lie, think it's a pretty huge red flag with Powell that literally the one place he's had success with is with us a pretty long time ago. He just strikes me as a great assistant manager in all honesty but I'd want someone else building the squad and managing them, and he'd seem like someone great to have on the coaching staff in training.

Other managers at this level who I know enough about to suggest instead though is obviously a small list, but Powell just seems a bit of a desperate choice.
    You would say that Mark  ;)
  • Valley11 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:
    A clamour for Bowyer and even considering Cowley or a return for Robinson makes me wonder if we deserve what we’re getting at the moment.
    I know expectations are set to low, but really?! 

We’re nearly bottom of league 2 with a poor squad and no manager at the end of August. It would be odd if expectations were sky high . I do wonder who you might prefer ?   

Nathan Jones or Leam Richardson. Both perfectly gettable and infinitely more ambitious than bringing back former managers.

What has Richardson achieved that is so ambitious ? Jones wouldn’t touch this 
  • edited August 2023
    wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:
    A clamour for Bowyer and even considering Cowley or a return for Robinson makes me wonder if we deserve what we’re getting at the moment.
    I know expectations are set to low, but really?! 

We’re nearly bottom of league 2 with a poor squad and no manager at the end of August. It would be odd if expectations were sky high . I do wonder who you might prefer ?   

Nathan Jones or Leam Richardson. Both perfectly gettable and infinitely more ambitious than bringing back former managers.

What has Richardson achieved that is so ambitious ? Jones wouldn’t touch this 
    Manager of Wigan when they won this division two years ago. Sacked perhaps unfairly in the Championship, they nosedived under their next manager Kolo Toure.

Usually you’d think he’d hold on for a Championship gig but he’s been out of work almost 12 months so could be happy with another crack at a decent sized club in L1.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Am I not the only person who think Johnnie Jackson might be worth a second crack at the whip?
    Think he's probably quite satisfied where he is. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!