Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    Leuth said:
    At this point, why would anyone be against Powell? It isn't even about his tactics any more. He's a totem, a giant, a man who commands the instant respect of everyone connected with our club, and he left us with his honour intact. Sure we'd probably play some sort of dour safety-first style away from home and put an emphasis on being hard to beat, and sure he'd be outmanouevred by younger coaches now and again, but he's Chris Powell ffs. We need something to lift us. 
    Which is exactly why they (Gang of 4) have put the name out there. I remain deeply sceptical that he's a realistic candidate or been made a serious offer but they know their audience.
    Is this a rerun of the Bowyer rumour yesterday? Oh god 
  • Rothko said:
    PWADDICK said:
    I love Powelly as much as the next person, but we need someone who is ‘current’ and knows the modern game, he hasn’t managed since 2019, wrong choice in my opinion
    He’s been involved in the England set up and at Spurs for a while, not some pundit on Talksport who hasn’t taken a session in their lives 
    Understood but coaching is not management
  • Wigan game rearranged which gives Scott plenty of time to get a manager in before Stevenage
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Powell would genuinely leave me conflicted. That 11/12 side was very very very special and his contacts in the game would be a huge asset , but I don't know if I want him to come back and if things went very badly I don't know how I'd feel about it happening to an utter club legend. 
    I think what we need more than anything is a long & stable spell under one manager, who has the time to put right some very fundamental flaws in our squad & style of play.

Powell would, and there will always be a certain percentage of naysayers, I think have the backing of a large percentage of fans willing to give him this time. Perhaps Bowyer would also get this. The problem with bringing in a Robinson, Garner, Atkins, Slade or a Holden - is they have no connection to the club & the minute things go wrong - the patience of the severely cynical & fed-up fan base is very thin (granted that Holden did seem to form a better bond with the fas than pretty much all of the other "non-Charlton" 23 managers since Curbs)

We need a manager who can ride out the inevitable rough spells because they have the track record to prove they eventually can get it right.

It's not to say the only potentially successful manager has to have a Charlton background, it's just the beyond shiteness of the last 18 seasons has created a really difficult & toxic situation for any manager to walk into & turn around. We are unique.
  • Leuth said:
    thenewbie said:
    Leuth said:
    At this point, why would anyone be against Powell? It isn't even about his tactics any more. He's a totem, a giant, a man who commands the instant respect of everyone connected with our club, and he left us with his honour intact. Sure we'd probably play some sort of dour safety-first style away from home and put an emphasis on being hard to beat, and sure he'd be outmanouevred by younger coaches now and again, but he's Chris Powell ffs. We need something to lift us. 
    Which is exactly why they (Gang of 4) have put the name out there. I remain deeply sceptical that he's a realistic candidate or been made a serious offer but they know their audience.
    Is this a rerun of the Bowyer rumour yesterday? Oh god 
    Yep. Jackson will probably also be mentioned if things go on long enough.
  • edited August 2023
    Leuth said:

Wasnt saying this about Lord Bowyer were ye, huh?!? 
  • PWADDICK said:
    Rothko said:
    PWADDICK said:
    I love Powelly as much as the next person, but we need someone who is ‘current’ and knows the modern game, he hasn’t managed since 2019, wrong choice in my opinion
    He’s been involved in the England set up and at Spurs for a while, not some pundit on Talksport who hasn’t taken a session in their lives 
    Understood but coaching is not management
    Coaching set up needs a lot of attention too so his recent experience would be valuable - he'd need to be able to bring in his own backroom team though.
  • fenaddick said:
    Wigan game rearranged which gives Scott plenty of time to get a manager in before Stevenage
    yes but ideally would want in by I'd say next Monday so he has a full two weeks to work with the players.
    ideally yes but given the transfer window is closing too I’d doubt an appointment will be done in the next week 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oakster2 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Powell would genuinely leave me conflicted. That 11/12 side was very very very special and his contacts in the game would be a huge asset , but I don't know if I want him to come back and if things went very badly I don't know how I'd feel about it happening to an utter club legend. 
    I think what we need more than anything is a long & stable spell under one manager, who has the time to put right some very fundamental flaws in our squad & style of play.

Powell would, and there will always be a certain percentage of naysayers, I think have the backing of a large percentage of fans willing to give him this time. Perhaps Bowyer would also get this. The problem with bringing in a Robinson, Garner, Atkins, Slade or a Holden - is they have no connection to the club & the minute things go wrong - the patience of the severely cynical & fed-up fan base is very thin (granted that Holden did seem to form a better bond with the fas than pretty much all of the other "non-Charlton" 23 managers since Curbs)

We need a manager who can ride out the inevitable rough spells because they have the track record to prove they eventually can get it right.

It's not to say the only potentially successful manager has to have a Charlton background, it's just the beyond shiteness of the last 18 seasons has created a really difficult & toxic situation for any manager to walk into & turn around. We are unique.

Stability for me is the absolute key whoever it is. I don't want to be sitting here this time next year in the same predicament as currently we're in. If it is someone that has no link to the club then I hope they've done a lot of background research into the club and what's been going on , something that to his credit Dean Holden did seem to at least try to do and had a willingness to learn. 

It's a difficult situation for whoever comes in , in effect trying to get a tune out a squad from 3 different managers worth of signings whilst also trying to implement their own ideas. 
  • fenaddick said:
    Wigan game rearranged which gives Scott plenty of time to get a manager in before Stevenage
    Also gives our squad which is full of academy graduates that have known each other since they were 8 time to gel.  
  • Would Chris Powell want to commit 70 hours a week minimum to Charlton Athletic as manager ? 
    I thought he had other projects on the go at the moment.

I remember the Dagenham away match well and I would hate to see middle age/old men giving Chris abuse again if he couldn't turn around the fortunes of this small squad(will get a tad bigger)
    I believe we were on a run of lost 6 out of 7 with the squad that Powell had no input with before that depressing day on the Essex borders. 

Powell/Dyer/Chappel had the whole summer window to use their contacts to change the squad.

I personally thought it might suit Chris to be the shoulder to lean on and go left field with Ryan Mason.
  • Leuth said:

Wasnt saying this about Lord Bowyer were ye, huh?!? 
    Probably because it’s not true of Bowyer. 
  • Hills have us at 11-1 to be promoted but only 7-1 to be relegated. hard to be optimistic at the moment
  • Would Chris Powell want to commit 70 hours a week minimum to Charlton Athletic as manager ? 
    I thought he had other projects on the go at the moment.

I remember the Dagenham away match well and I would hate to see middle age/old men giving Chris abuse again if he couldn't turn around the fortunes of this small squad(will get a tad bigger)
    I believe we were on a run of lost 6 out of 7 with the squad that Powell had no input with before that depressing day on the Essex borders. 

Powell/Dyer/Chappel had the whole summer window to use their contacts to change the squad.

I personally thought it might suit Chris to be the shoulder to lean on and go left field with Ryan Mason.
    Makes me feel sick:

Ross Worner
    Christian Dailly
    Matt Fry
    Carl Jenkinson
    Miguel Angel Llera
    Alan McCormack
    Jose Semedo
    Dean Parrett
    Scott Wagstaff
    Frank Nouble
    Bradley Wright-Phillips
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s obviously in the Methven gang’s interest for it to appear they did their best to get CP if they end up appointing someone else. 

I think it is quite probably correct that he could have it if he wanted it - the issue is that he would have to be persuaded they had a credible plan. Briefing things that aren’t true won’t help with that.
    Would Powell’s love for the club convince him to take the job, even if he’s not 100% sold on the set-up? 
  • PWADDICK said:
    Pretty sure you can’t get more ‘current’ than working with England and Spurs setups, holding positions in very high standings also…
  • It's a real lottery, isn't it. Trying to guess who will be a success is fun but pretty pointless. When Lennie was appointed I was aghast. I shook my head at Curbs and Gritt. Then whooped with pleasure when Pardew got the job. Shows how naff I am at picking managers. Whoever gets it will need tons of luck. I hope they have dignity and a bit of grace like Sir Chris (and Holden actually). Oh and they must sort out our sieve like defence. 
    I can agree with all of that. 
  • I’m confident that it’s not true at this point that the club have gone back to Chris Powell. If people are being briefed otherwise then they should doubt the integrity of their sources.
    So your source is right everyone else's source is wrong?

I do not believe that powell is in the running, or bowyer. We will end up with Appleton or Johnson in my opinion but you do come across as very rude and abrupt sometimes
    Not if his source is Chris Powell
    Still wouldnt take away the rudeness of the post!
  • With us Powell struggled when given someone else's squad and was expected to find a way to get more out of them. Where he excelled was in building a squad of the right characters and personalities that suited his management style. He got them to buy into what he wanted and they were all willing to put their bodies on the line for him.

Bowyer was different. Don't know if it's about his tougher approach makes him able to give players that kick up the arse but last time around he got much more out of Gobbos squad than Gobbo did. But things went sour over time when players got fed up with his style. 

With the window about to close and no time to really build a squad I do wonder about whether SCP would be able to get enough extra out of this bunch. I really don't think there are enough of the right type of characters in there for him to work. 

Bow might be able to give them a kick up the backside at least in the short term that might work.
  • It’s obviously in the Methven gang’s interest for it to appear they did their best to get CP if they end up appointing someone else. 

I think it is quite probably correct that he could have it if he wanted it - the issue is that he would have to be persuaded they had a credible plan. Briefing things that aren’t true won’t help with that.
    Agree with your sense of their motivations on this but isn’t that exactly (and only) what’s been suggested / leaked so far?
  • Appleton is the ultimate uninspiring journeyman - we can surely aim higher. 

Can't imagine anybody half decent would want the job.
    Now that's what I call a contradiction.
  • Gribbo said:
    NabySarr said:
    Gribbo said:
    Is there any truth in the rumour that Holden was paid £500k to go?

If it is true, it makes no sense for them to now employ someone with no pedigree and on peanuts.

Or is £500k no a lot of money in League 1 manager's compo terms, these days?
    Apparently closer to £150k combined for Holden, GK coach and Senda compensation 
    Oh, looks like Appleton or Cowley after all then..... bugger
    Powell is available too though.
  • With us Powell struggled when given someone else's squad and was expected to find a way to get more out of them. Where he excelled was in building a squad of the right characters and personalities that suited his management style. He got them to buy into what he wanted and they were all willing to put their bodies on the line for him.

Bowyer was different. Don't know if it's about his tougher approach makes him able to give players that kick up the arse but last time around he got much more out of Gobbos squad than Gobbo did. But things went sour over time when players got fed up with his style. 

With the window about to close and no time to really build a squad I do wonder about whether SCP would be able to get enough extra out of this bunch. I really don't think there are enough of the right type of characters in there for him to work. 

Bow might be able to give them a kick up the backside at least in the short term that might work.
    If it was Powell and he needed time, then you simply give him time. It’s not hard.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!