Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Options
    Whats Rooney doing at the moment?, wonder if Kenny Jackett has his phone switched on?
    I would love a Wazza or Lampard appointment. Not even because I think they would guarantee promotion but just be great to have someone it would be easy to get behind. Never going to happen though. Not even near enough cash. 
  • Options
    WSS said:
    If it is partly about uniting the fanbase and getting the club moving forward as one, I know the ownership are well aware Chris Powell being announced and coming out the tunnel, would supply that more than any other appointment. By a stretch.

True but if things don’t go well, they won’t have the protection from a fall guy.

Can imagine that’s what they are balancing.
    And that's why I don't believe Powell would come back under this lot.

He's not prepared to be their fall guy.
  • Options
    Rooney is out in MLS but his contract expires in December. Hasn't done much with DC United bar sign Benteke. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Wouldn't write off Powell just yet!
    And why not? he appears to have written himself off fairly clearly.
    No. He wrote himself off to be a caretaker. Big difference. No idea if he is interested, but it doesn't mean he is writing himself out of the job on a full term basis.
    I hoped @DubaiCAFC had a bit more than this, but clearly not. 

If the market knows you have a full time job on offer, the only sensible time when you suggest an interim role is if you believe the candidate is under-qualified. Quite patently Powell is at least as qualified  as any of the clowns being discussed here. After all none of them have led a team to the League One title with 101 points, and this with just six months previous experience. 

Chris Powell strikes me as a man of enormous dignity, full of respect for others and for himself. He was grieviously mis-treated by Duchatelet, and for sure has heard an awful lot about Charlie Methven.

I daresay he has also not forgotten the title of a long thread on here by all those wonderful Charlton fans : “Powell’s football is terrible”.
    From what I have heard today, we have gone back in for him.. Was a bit of a mistake I believe offering Interim role, and as you say Powell is a man of integrity, so let see what plays out, I understand he is the first choice.. If it happens is a different matter! 
    Obviously Powell would be amazing, if allowed to assemble his own squad. Failing that, I’d love Bowyer - I’m nailing my colours firmly to the mast with that one. 

L.Richardson’s CV seems impressive so maybe him third?
  • Options
    What worries me about Richardson is that he got Wigan promoted spending money they didn’t have.
    Look at the shit state they’ve been in since.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Would rather Emma Hayes than the Cowleys, altho we couldn't afford her
    Emma Hayes would find it insulting to even be approached, why the f*ck would you leave being manager of Chelsea, in the Champions League and current domestic title holders, to manage Charlton? May as well ask Pep Guardiola. 
    hahahaha. Gimp.
    Ooohhh random name calling on a message board, you're well hard mate 👍🏻
    The mere presence of the women’s game upsets some people, the idea one would turn us down is pant wetting for them.
    Hilarious.

I think it is brilliant how far the women's game has come in terms of standard alone in the last 10 years, actively watch games when I can and enjoy Emma Hayes' tactical insight over the same old drivel/lack of tactical nuance of Keown, Dixon and Richards for example.

It is the pretend outrage from the OP that it would be somehow insulting for Hayes to be approached by a club as prestigious as Charlton Athletic, fallen on hard times or not, that pissed me off. What she has achieved with Chelsea women's team is great but for a woman to trailblaze and take charge of a mens league 1 club and have success would be huge. 

For her to be offered the job is anything but insulting. 
    Well she seemed to think it was insulting

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12206672/emma-hayes-shuts-down-afc-wimbledon-rumours-and-will-stay-on-as-chelsea-women-boss-in-wsl

But you cracking on pal.
    Sorry 'pal' but I think it says 'AFC WIMBLEDON' not 'CHARLTON ATHLETIC' in the article. 
    And what's the difference? You think we're that much more of a draw? Did you even read what she said on the matter? 
    "I don't know why anyone would think women's football is a step down in comparison to men. The football world needs to wake up."

She'll be waiting a while for Barca and Real to give her a call.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    If it is partly about uniting the fanbase and getting the club moving forward as one, I know the ownership are well aware Chris Powell being announced and coming out the tunnel, would supply that more than any other appointment. By a stretch.

More than Curbs? I think quite a few people remember the football under Powell towards the end, it was crap (I don't want either tbh, but would bck them)
    But to provide some context, the spivs had pulled the plug financially and we had a very poor squad that season and Duchatelet comes in sells Kermorgant, Stephens and Alnwick replaces them with a load of network rubbish and puts pressure on the manager to pick the new players including the worst excuse for a goalie I have seen in over 50 years of supporting us. The football may have been crap at times but is wasn't all Powell's fault.

Not taking away any of his achievements, just playing devils advocate, think Curbs would be more overwhelmingly supported than Powell
    I don't think so. Yes he's a club legend but he hasn't been involved in any coaching/management for far too long
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    I would obviously love CP back but then I always found it baffling that people got bored with all that winning because it was not pretty enough on the eye.

101pts followed by four points short of a Championship play off place, sure it started to go wrong when the insane Belgian and his work experience kids interfered but no doubt in my mind if we had got a regular owner that backed him we would have had some more fun in the Premier League under his guidance. 
    To be fair to Roland (I know it feels wrong) it started going wrong when the Spivs ran out of money. Bringing in the likes of Church, Sordell and Mark Gower in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Powell. Hmmm I dunno, I mean might put his arm around few of of them and give them a confidence boost and 442 the insta win formation will be played but then the wanky holier than thou "Sir Chris" posting explaining why Chem Campbell coming on as the only sub on 86mins when 1-0 down at home was the right call doesnt excite me tbh. 

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    CAFCsayer said:

More than Curbs? I think quite a few people remember the football under Powell towards the end, it was crap (I don't want either tbh, but would bck them)
    But to provide some context, the spivs had pulled the plug financially and we had a very poor squad that season and Duchatelet comes in sells Kermorgant, Stephens and Alnwick replaces them with a load of network rubbish and puts pressure on the manager to pick the new players including the worst excuse for a goalie I have seen in over 50 years of supporting us. The football may have been crap at times but is wasn't all Powell's fault.

Not taking away any of his achievements, just playing devils advocate, think Curbs would be more overwhelmingly supported than Powell
    I don't think so. So much of our support now weren't even alive/really aware of us since he was manager.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    masicat said:
    Bowyer. If not, Wilder. 

🤔
    The only manager wilder than Bowyer was Guy Luzon who went crazy. 
  • Options
    Powell. Hmmm I dunno, I mean might put his arm around few of of them and give them a confidence boost and 442 the insta win formation will be played but then the wanky holier than thou "Sir Chris" posting explaining why Chem Campbell coming on as the only sub on 86mins when 1-0 down at home was the right call doesnt excite me tbh. 

I don’t think we can assume that Powell will be that similar to his last period here. He has been away from management for some time, in which he has been working in 2 top level set ups (spurs and England) so will have undoubtedly evolved in probably every aspect of management 
  • Options
    Steve Bruce is looking to get back into management. 
  • Options
    Steve Bruce is looking to get back into management. 
    I fancy a sausage roll now 
  • Options
    I just can't imagine Saint Christopher of the Red Valley in the same building as these phillistines.  
  • Options
    He’s obviously a level above our current station, but what’d the group consensus be if it was Scott Parker who was offered the job?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Emma Hayes?🤣

Please stop.
    Doubt we could pay her more then she’s on at Chelsea anyway 
  • Options
    Sam_777 said:
    He’s obviously a level above our current station, but what’d the group consensus be if it was Scott Parker who was offered the job?
    Is that really so obvious? 
  • Options
    tom_k said:
    Imagine a Powell and Curbs double act doing the tunnel jump this Saturday!
    Then add Bowyer too…👍
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    No. He wrote himself off to be a caretaker. Big difference. No idea if he is interested, but it doesn't mean he is writing himself out of the job on a full term basis.

If the market knows you have a full time job on offer, the only sensible time when you suggest an interim role is if you believe the candidate is under-qualified. Quite patently Powell is at least as qualified  as any of the clowns being discussed here. After all none of them have led a team to the League One title with 101 points, and this with just six months previous experience. 

Chris Powell strikes me as a man of enormous dignity, full of respect for others and for himself. He was grieviously mis-treated by Duchatelet, and for sure has heard an awful lot about Charlie Methven.

I daresay he has also not forgotten the title of a long thread on here by all those wonderful Charlton fans : “Powell’s football is terrible”.
    From what I have heard today, we have gone back in for him.. Was a bit of a mistake I believe offering Interim role, and as you say Powell is a man of integrity, so let see what plays out, I understand he is the first choice.. If it happens is a different matter! 
    The obstacle to Chris Powell coming is the squad and the club's short, medium and long term plans for it.

If he thinks he's being set up to fail (as he was by the spivs after 2012 and by Duchatelet) he won't touch it, and rightly so.

I suspect the reason they won't approach Bowyer is that he would want too much money, apart from any other issues.
    Interesting about Bows Rick. I never would have thought he’d be on way more than your average L1 manager and certainly Powell?
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

The obstacle to Chris Powell coming is the squad and the club's short, medium and long term plans for it.

If he thinks he's being set up to fail (as he was by the spivs after 2012 and by Duchatelet) he won't touch it, and rightly so.

I suspect the reason they won't approach Bowyer is that he would want too much money, apart from any other issues.
    Interesting about Bows Rick. I never would have thought he’d be on way more than your average L1 manager and certainly Powell?
    He was on good money by the time he left. 
  • Options
    Jason Euell ? 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I actually think this kind of speculation brings out the best and worst of CL. That said, it's entertaining and funny, the idea of Appleton becoming the apple of our eye one that always gets me, especially when the photo appears. Is it so wrong to want him to have a crack at it? I'm actually not as opposed to it as others. He's not my ideal choice, and I don't have one, but I'm far from being "done" if he gets it.

Seeing Hudson's name linked is an interesting one given that he's in work. I agree his past time with us is all but irrelevant, but that defence of ours will kill any prospects of a half decent season unless it's sorted and that's why he might suit our needs just now so we can build a solid foundation for progression.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!