Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer. If not, Wilder. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Wouldn't write off Powell just yet!
    And why not? he appears to have written himself off fairly clearly.
    No. He wrote himself off to be a caretaker. Big difference. No idea if he is interested, but it doesn't mean he is writing himself out of the job on a full term basis.
    I hoped @DubaiCAFC had a bit more than this, but clearly not. 

If the market knows you have a full time job on offer, the only sensible time when you suggest an interim role is if you believe the candidate is under-qualified. Quite patently Powell is at least as qualified  as any of the clowns being discussed here. After all none of them have led a team to the League One title with 101 points, and this with just six months previous experience. 

Chris Powell strikes me as a man of enormous dignity, full of respect for others and for himself. He was grieviously mis-treated by Duchatelet, and for sure has heard an awful lot about Charlie Methven.

I daresay he has also not forgotten the title of a long thread on here by all those wonderful Charlton fans : “Powell’s football is terrible”.
    I mean, it pretty much was near the end of his tenure, we're allowed to both love and respect the man and criticise his tactics
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    If it is partly about uniting the fanbase and getting the club moving forward as one, I know the ownership are well aware Chris Powell being announced and coming out the tunnel, would supply that more than any other appointment. By a stretch.

More than Curbs? I think quite a few people remember the football under Powell towards the end, it was crap (I don't want either tbh, but would bck them)
    But to provide some context, the spivs had pulled the plug financially and we had a very poor squad that season and Duchatelet comes in sells Kermorgant, Stephens and Alnwick replaces them with a load of network rubbish and puts pressure on the manager to pick the new players including the worst excuse for a goalie I have seen in over 50 years of supporting us. The football may have been crap at times but is wasn't all Powell's fault.
    Kermongant refused to play and Stephens was allowed to go because he desperately wanted to move back up north (to Brighton)
    still believing the liar's version of these events, eh?
    it is true though, he wanted a new bigger contract on more money so refused to play the games that would activate a years extension of his contract at the time 
  • Options
    Some people on here have said that Bowyer should not be manager because apparently he upset some of our players last time with harsh words. That would never do. I surely couldn't imagine the likes of Alex Ferguson or Brian Clough doing anything so dastardly!
    Oh christ can we not resurrect that argument, it was done to death at the time.  
  • Options
    If you only appoint a comedian as CAFC manager who would you choose?

Sean Lock (RIP)was a great fav of mine might get some surreal formations, of the rest I think Henning Wehn would be tops as we all know Germans know how to play football.

Micky Flanagan for the authentic cockney? 

Dara  O' Briain..super intelligent

Simon Evans- should be able to sort out the right wing

Stephen K Amos- good for HT talks at high volume

Ken Dodd(RIP)- plenty of money in the attic

Lee Nelson- knows about football finance and has already appeared in a European competition line up

or David Brent.....

Sorry just got bored with same old names for manager

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    No. He wrote himself off to be a caretaker. Big difference. No idea if he is interested, but it doesn't mean he is writing himself out of the job on a full term basis.

If the market knows you have a full time job on offer, the only sensible time when you suggest an interim role is if you believe the candidate is under-qualified. Quite patently Powell is at least as qualified  as any of the clowns being discussed here. After all none of them have led a team to the League One title with 101 points, and this with just six months previous experience. 

Chris Powell strikes me as a man of enormous dignity, full of respect for others and for himself. He was grieviously mis-treated by Duchatelet, and for sure has heard an awful lot about Charlie Methven.

I daresay he has also not forgotten the title of a long thread on here by all those wonderful Charlton fans : “Powell’s football is terrible”.
    From what I have heard today, we have gone back in for him.. Was a bit of a mistake I believe offering Interim role, and as you say Powell is a man of integrity, so let see what plays out, I understand he is the first choice.. If it happens is a different matter! 

I thought possibly having Bowyer come back would be exciting after what he did before

But Powell coming home again would be on another level of nostalgia and emotions whether it works out is anothing thing but imagine the first game back to a roaring Valley with powelly leading the team out😍
  • Options
    If you only appoint a comedian as CAFC manager who would you choose?

Sean Lock (RIP)was a great fav of mine might get some surreal formations, of the rest I think Henning Wehn would be tops as we all know Germans know how to play football.

Micky Flanagan for the authentic cockney? 

Dara  O' Briain..super intelligent

Simon Evans- should be able to sort out the right wing

Stephen K Amos- good for HT talks at high volume

Ken Dodd(RIP)- plenty of money in the attic

Lee Nelson- knows about football finance and has already appeared in a European competition line up

or David Brent.....

Sorry just got bored with same old names for manager

Micky Flanagan obviously. Proper Charlton 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

From what I have heard today, we have gone back in for him.. Was a bit of a mistake I believe offering Interim role, and as you say Powell is a man of integrity, so let see what plays out, I understand he is the first choice.. If it happens is a different matter! 
    Amateurs!!

You call it a mistake. I call it complete incompetence.
    This! Complete amateurs, it’s embarrassing!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I thought possibly having Bowyer come back would be exciting after what he did before

But Powell coming home again would be on another level of nostalgia and emotions whether it works out is anothing thing but imagine the first game back to a roaring Valley with powelly leading the team out😍
    And a huge tick in the " What do we think of the SMT ? " column.

A win win situation IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Would rather Emma Hayes than the Cowleys, altho we couldn't afford her
    Emma Hayes would find it insulting to even be approached, why the f*ck would you leave being manager of Chelsea, in the Champions League and current domestic title holders, to manage Charlton? May as well ask Pep Guardiola. 
    hahahaha. Gimp.
    Ooohhh random name calling on a message board, you're well hard mate 👍🏻
    The mere presence of the women’s game upsets some people, the idea one would turn us down is pant wetting for them.
    Hilarious.

I think it is brilliant how far the women's game has come in terms of standard alone in the last 10 years, actively watch games when I can and enjoy Emma Hayes' tactical insight over the same old drivel/lack of tactical nuance of Keown, Dixon and Richards for example.

It is the pretend outrage from the OP that it would be somehow insulting for Hayes to be approached by a club as prestigious as Charlton Athletic, fallen on hard times or not, that pissed me off. What she has achieved with Chelsea women's team is great but for a woman to trailblaze and take charge of a mens league 1 club and have success would be huge. 

For her to be offered the job is anything but insulting. 
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    If it is partly about uniting the fanbase and getting the club moving forward as one, I know the ownership are well aware Chris Powell being announced and coming out the tunnel, would supply that more than any other appointment. By a stretch.

More than Curbs? I think quite a few people remember the football under Powell towards the end, it was crap (I don't want either tbh, but would bck them)
    But to provide some context, the spivs had pulled the plug financially and we had a very poor squad that season and Duchatelet comes in sells Kermorgant, Stephens and Alnwick replaces them with a load of network rubbish and puts pressure on the manager to pick the new players including the worst excuse for a goalie I have seen in over 50 years of supporting us. The football may have been crap at times but is wasn't all Powell's fault.

Not taking away any of his achievements, just playing devils advocate, think Curbs would be more overwhelmingly supported than Powell
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Not taking away any of his achievements, just playing devils advocate, think Curbs would be more overwhelmingly supported than Powell
    We’ll need a poll, but I wouldn’t have thought so. When was Curbs last in a management role?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Emma Hayes would find it insulting to even be approached, why the f*ck would you leave being manager of Chelsea, in the Champions League and current domestic title holders, to manage Charlton? May as well ask Pep Guardiola. 
    hahahaha. Gimp.
    The mere presence of the women’s game upsets some people, the idea one would turn us down is pant wetting for them.
    Hilarious.

I think it is brilliant how far the women's game has come in terms of standard alone in the last 10 years, actively watch games when I can and enjoy Emma Hayes' tactical insight over the same old drivel/lack of tactical nuance of Keown, Dixon and Richards for example.

It is the pretend outrage from the OP that it would be somehow insulting for Hayes to be approached by a club as prestigious as Charlton Athletic, fallen on hard times or not, that pissed me off. What she has achieved with Chelsea women's team is great but for a woman to trailblaze and take charge of a mens league 1 club and have success would be huge. 

Well she seemed to think it was insulting

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12206672/emma-hayes-shuts-down-afc-wimbledon-rumours-and-will-stay-on-as-chelsea-women-boss-in-wsl

But you cracking on pal.
    Sorry 'pal' but I think it says 'AFC WIMBLEDON' not 'CHARLTON ATHLETIC' in the article. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Redhenry said:
    hahahaha. Gimp.
    Hilarious.

Well she seemed to think it was insulting

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12206672/emma-hayes-shuts-down-afc-wimbledon-rumours-and-will-stay-on-as-chelsea-women-boss-in-wsl

But you cracking on pal.
    Sorry 'pal' but I think it says 'AFC WIMBLEDON' not 'CHARLTON ATHLETIC' in the article. 
    And what's the difference? You think we're that much more of a draw? Did you even read what she said on the matter? 
  • Options
    if powell is to make a come back... wow. Might actually be optimistic. Would love another couple of years like we had on the champions season and the following season where we just missed out on a champ play off place.
  • Options
    Whats Rooney doing at the moment?, wonder if Kenny Jackett has his phone switched on?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!