Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Options

I remember the good old days under Ms Nightmeire, when I had heard of some of the names she was interviewing for the role of manager/head coach. 

Now the only familiar names are previous failures. Gobby Robinson was pretty useless the first time around for God's sake. It's complete chaos and this new ownership (whoever and wherever they might be) needs to question the individuals they have entrusted with their investment (whatever that was).

Can this get any more depressing?

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Really hope not Appleton
    Blimey.....something we agree on.

None of the names mentioned by Cawley get me excited. All recent failures. Should be looking at someone with their stock rising, not stagnating. 
    Who do you have in mind that might want to join us at a time when he’s presumably doing well, and happy where he is? 
    17 managers in 17 years hardly screams ‘quit your job and join an ambitious club where you’ll be well looked after’.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Why? I thought we were only looking at managers who have got teams promoted out of league 1. 

Really dull candidates.
    We are in cardiac arrest as a Club. A new manager needs to jolt us into life again. Bowyer or Lennon would not be on my list of guests to invite around for dinner, but they would shake it all up.

Shows just how "minted" we really are...

And still no comment from the ones with the "mint" 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    So for those of you balking at the list of realistic names. Who would you add to it without of course ridiculous expectation ? Who ?
    Way more on the unlikely side but Dean Smith, good at developing youth+ decent tactically.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dean Holden is more qualified than most of these managerial candidates, the timing of sacking Dean is embarrassing.
    If we're seriously talking to the likes of Appleton and Cowley then we might as well have just kept Holden.
    Yes - surely we have not stooped to this - fxcking stupid decision after decision - if we win Saturday they will think Pearce is the answer !! 

We are one sad club at the mo - started so well - goes  to show how poor orient are  
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Christ almighty, can you get any more uninspiring. Two poor poor managers. 
  • Options
    Dean Holden is more qualified than most of these managerial candidates, the timing of sacking Dean is embarrassing.
    That’s just not true
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Because I’m almost past caring, I would find Appleton a hilarious appointment. All those old threads with his photo in them would seem like the books of prophecy in the Old Testament. 
    Lol! I said the exact same on the previous page. I genuinely didn't know who he was when he kept being posted on all those threads. must have started 6/7 years ago at least. Assumed he was a terrible manager, over the hill who puts his hat in the ring for every job...now there's a chance he may be in the dugout. Sigh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it is true to say the timing of the sacking is embarrassing.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    seth plum said:
    So for those of you balking at the list of realistic names. Who would you add to it without of course ridiculous expectation ? Who ?
    Jason Euell.
    It’s a good call but he’s 14 months into his current job as assistant to Pearson who is a very good manager to learn under. Would he come back ? Not sure to be honest but it’s the best name I’ve seen mentioned outside of the usual that’s a possibility. Doubt Scott knows him from Adam though. 
  • Options
    Whats Kenny Jackett up to now days ?  

I'll get my coat  :*

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Jason Euell.
    It’s a good call but he’s 14 months into his current job as assistant to Pearson whom is a very good manager. Would he come back ? Not sure to be honest but it’s the best name I’ve seen mentioned outside of the usual that’s a possibility. Doubt Scott knows him from Adam though. 
    The hardy band of U21 watchers saw him at work frequently.
    Good bloke, not flamboyant but effective.
    Fits the ex-Charlton aspect of things.
  • Options
    Mark Hudson is an intriguing shout, knows the club well
  • Options
    After all these years of laughing and joking about how it could be Appleton, we’ve fallen so far that it actually could be him because he is due to have an interview! 
    At Charlton, it truly is, just bide your time because everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame or management at the Valley
  • Options
    We are the karaoke moment for managers.
    One song, move on.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Interestingly joined Sheffield United this summer as defensive coach. If he did come in we'd have no excuses to defend so poorly
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The bar has been set so low with Garner and then Holden ……… those two and what’s being interviewed now just demonstrates both the budgets and aspirations of the most recent and current custodians……. Mediocrity has been our staple for so long now that it just doesn’t feel like there is any genuine enthusiasm or nous on how to achieve success. We as a club can’t even compete at the top end of this division (anyone who believes otherwise is delusional IMHO)……. Scandalous that anyone accepts the continuous “budget” excuses. If they can’t or won’t fund what’s required they would be better off cutting their losses now than wait for the inevitable failure repeat of custodians past.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Politically for the current owners it would placate a lot of the fanbase. I have to say with some of the others mentioned I would breathe a sigh of relief, my only issue is how Bowyer would work with Andy Scott, Rodwell and C M, also how long is Bowyer's short fuse if players are not brought in now or in January. 
    Bowyer had a free hand under Roland , to just get on with it, he would be under a lot more scrutiny than previously , would that affect his decision making , and make him not as effective as before?
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Does he? He played for one season and left 14 years ago, we're not the same club. 
    Indeed. Nobody knows the club anymore.
  • Options
    Given the names currently being run through the mill, the one that feels like it could be a slight upgrade is Leam Richardson.

Even then, I would want him to be supported by experienced coaches, particularly on the defensive side of the game. The likes of Appleton and Cowley feel like they are pretty much sidegrades/downgrades on what we had in Holden tbh. The rose-tinted glasses for managers past still feels weird to me - I don't think any of them would really want the job again for any lengthy period of time. Plenty of lofty ambition managers out there with no job, but I think people like Moore would run a mile at the prospect of our recent managerial history and have more to lose than gain.

Some level of experience and past success is key for getting us out of this mess. Richardson, for me, ticks more of those boxes than the others and feels more obtainable. Just having someone that can make use of the players we have would be a start.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    Whats Kenny Jackett up to now days ?  

I'll get my coat  :*

As long as it isn’t your jackett 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Jason Euell.
    I'd be happy with Euell but i wonder if he feels he should have got a crack at it last time he was here
  • Options
    A change for the sake of change. Usually to save your own face.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!