Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Wouldn't write off Powell just yet!
    And why not? he appears to have written himself off fairly clearly.
    No. He wrote himself off to be a caretaker. Big difference. No idea if he is interested, but it doesn't mean he is writing himself out of the job on a full term basis.
    I hoped @DubaiCAFC had a bit more than this, but clearly not. 

If the market knows you have a full time job on offer, the only sensible time when you suggest an interim role is if you believe the candidate is under-qualified. Quite patently Powell is at least as qualified  as any of the clowns being discussed here. After all none of them have led a team to the League One title with 101 points, and this with just six months previous experience. 

Chris Powell strikes me as a man of enormous dignity, full of respect for others and for himself. He was grieviously mis-treated by Duchatelet, and for sure has heard an awful lot about Charlie Methven.

I daresay he has also not forgotten the title of a long thread on here by all those wonderful Charlton fans : “Powell’s football is terrible”.
    From what I have heard today, we have gone back in for him.. Was a bit of a mistake I believe offering Interim role, and as you say Powell is a man of integrity, so let see what plays out, I understand he is the first choice.. If it happens is a different matter! 
    The obstacle to Chris Powell coming is the squad and the club's short, medium and long term plans for it.

If he thinks he's being set up to fail (as he was by the spivs after 2012 and by Duchatelet) he won't touch it, and rightly so.

I suspect the reason they won't approach Bowyer is that he would want too much money, apart from any other issues.
    Fingers crossed Andy Scott can convince him there is a plan then! Not sure the never go back policy counts for him, this would be his fifth time at the club wouldn't it! 😂
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Wouldn't write off Powell just yet!
    And why not? he appears to have written himself off fairly clearly.
    No. He wrote himself off to be a caretaker. Big difference. No idea if he is interested, but it doesn't mean he is writing himself out of the job on a full term basis.
    I hoped @DubaiCAFC had a bit more than this, but clearly not. 

If the market knows you have a full time job on offer, the only sensible time when you suggest an interim role is if you believe the candidate is under-qualified. Quite patently Powell is at least as qualified  as any of the clowns being discussed here. After all none of them have led a team to the League One title with 101 points, and this with just six months previous experience. 

Chris Powell strikes me as a man of enormous dignity, full of respect for others and for himself. He was grieviously mis-treated by Duchatelet, and for sure has heard an awful lot about Charlie Methven.

I daresay he has also not forgotten the title of a long thread on here by all those wonderful Charlton fans : “Powell’s football is terrible”.
    From what I have heard today, we have gone back in for him.. Was a bit of a mistake I believe offering Interim role, and as you say Powell is a man of integrity, so let see what plays out, I understand he is the first choice.. If it happens is a different matter! 
    The obstacle to Chris Powell coming is the squad and the club's short, medium and long term plans for it.

If he thinks he's being set up to fail (as he was by the spivs after 2012 and by Duchatelet) he won't touch it, and rightly so.

I suspect the reason they won't approach Bowyer is that he would want too much money, apart from any other issues.
     The best candidates will just be naming their price won't they?

We completely reek of desperation.
  • Options
    I instantly become a lot more patient for the long term plan if it exists, if the man in the dug out is CP. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Please not Powell …would be the worst choice 
    Not necessarily the worst but it wouldn't be good. Having done brilliantly with you first time round he's failed everywhere else. It would be a shame to tarnish his reputation at The Valley.
  • Options
    The squad Powell had for that 2011-2012 season had experience throughout it, this squad does not. Leaders who could take his message and lift other players in the group, this squad has maybe 2-3 of those types max (Hector, Dobson & May)

5 of our starting 11 played over 40 L1 games that season, 3 of which were in our back 4, we are miles away from having that sort of settled defence. Which is a cornerstone to CP's set up.

There are some areas where you can see him being able to work with it, such as Leaburn & May being a workable partnership he could mould in a Yann & BWP style.

I just can't see it being viable unless he gets assurances he can bring his own players in..... and the time for that has gone.
  • Options
    When he gets it I bet your opinion suddenly changes the other way 
  • Options
    Cue 30x quotes from Ron
  • Options
    Offering him it as interim first is hardly going to give him confidence that he’s the man they want and won’t discard him at the first sign of trouble. 

Another own goal to add to the list for the new regime 
  • Options
    My only concern with Powell is how well does he know league 1 and how well does he know the current squad. That’s probably the only area he is weaker than the other names mentioned 
  • Options
    Why do I get the feeling the Powell stuff is just another ‘we tried…’ a la Nombe / JCH
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The squad Powell had for that 2011-2012 season had experience throughout it, this squad does not. Leaders who could take his message and lift other players in the group, this squad has maybe 2-3 of those types max (Hector, Dobson & May)

5 of our starting 11 played over 40 L1 games that season, 3 of which were in our back 4, we are miles away from having that sort of settled defence. Which is a cornerstone to CP's set up.

There are some areas where you can see him being able to work with it, such as Leaburn & May being a workable partnership he could mould in a Yann & BWP style.

I just can't see it being viable unless he gets assurances he can bring his own players in..... and the time for that has gone.
    But i think we can all see now and have to accept this isnt a quick fix just like the last time he came in he needed till the summer to change things

If powell is backed sensibly and given time to build then im all for it

he has until january to see what they are made of and make decisions on players and then can go into it and get who he wants

Its all ifs and buts but hopefully he will hear what he wants to from the SMT and it goes well🤞🏻🤞🏻
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Great! 

Both Powell and Bowyer are ingrained in that certain Charlton ethos, a thin veneer of promise, short term optimism and fleeting success leading inevitably to mediocrity, ultimately hamstrung into underacheivement and fan resentment by shit foolish short sighted ownership.

Get either of them back, then it's buisness a usual ...  This new lot, they aren't shaping up to anything different than we have seen before!
  • Options
    Oh I forgot how much you hated him 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    Not a serious, genuine poster 
  • Options
    reamsofverse Avatar
    reamsofverse
    Season Ticket Holder

likePost Options                     Options                          
    Chris Powell looking a cert if he wants it. All depends on how much, initially only being offered it on an interim basis has put him off.

👀👀
    This makes no sense. Can't call it a cert when there's all those variables that haven't been sorted 
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Was Andy Scott the Brentford manager in the 2011/12 season? He would of seen the job Powell done that year. 

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!