Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Cowley is a little underwhelming but he did set his Pompey team up mostly in a 4-4-2 but also a 3-4-1-2. Both of which I think are well suited to the squad we have now, especially with Fraser injured at the moment 
  • edited August 2023
    It's got to the point now that I just don’t trust our new owners. 
    Normally when we are going to sign a new manager I get quite excited as to who it might be. 
    Not this time though as it doesn't matter who he is as he won't be backed sufficiently to see us promoted and will probably be gone come the end of the season. 
    I have the same view as you re the new owners. You were very quick and on the money re Sandgaard ownership of the club. I feel the same about these, no statements, no marquee signing to show their intent and very little comment on the management of the football side.

We will end up with some journey man manager and the ball set rolling again.
  • Floyd said:
    So we are still going with they sacked Holden and staff without knowing who replaces them?

Im not buying that. 

So, where is the evidence to support your statement? I would like to share your opinion (ie; that they have a plan and are executing...) but regrettably we are going to the end of the transfer window blind, no sign of the 'planned' appointment(s) being made etc. and therefore we are limping into the season without a plan and no squad to speak of.

Not claiming 'evidence' rather just my opinion.

But what steers me is this:

1. Holden came out of nowhere but had seemingly been talking to the 'Gang of Four'  (GOF) beforehand
    2. Its often said in Football people get tapped up /sounded out before an official move
    3. Why the need to sack the coaching team as well when we aren't over staffed in that area ? - just to keep the wheels in motion in training etc. would make sense to retain & then dismiss later
    4. Henderson has arrived very quickly as GK coach
    5. Faint suspicion the next appointee will be known in some way to the GOF and it is a way to reward someone else with a slice of the investors money
    6. The SMT claim to have football experience / know what they are doing - you don't fire without any plan at all 

UNLESS there were major issues behind the scenes that are not being reported and it was closer to a dismissal rather than simply a results based change. But I'm not suggesting that is the case.

• Arent the Cowley known to be long-ball merchants? Not sure that will get the best out of May
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Arent the Cowley known to be long-ball merchants? Not sure that will get the best out of May
    It will if he’s got Leaburn next to him. Cheltenham played direct and May scored a lot from long balls over the top. He just needs a partner that occupies defenders so that it isn’t too easy to stop him 
  • supaclive said:
    Cowley plain average with Portsmouth
    And people are happy with that
    End the season now
    We’ve just had league two Garner & an inexperienced Dean Holden. It’s not like we usually hire massive names.

Cowley is easily as credible as the above and arguably an upgrade as he has atleast won promotions before.
  • Any guesses who’s being interviewed today? It’s mentioned in the Pearce article on the OS.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/pearce-i-want-do-best-i-can-club

Club Chairman James Rodwell and Technical Director Andy Scott are interviewing a shortlist of potential candidates - some in work and some out of work - today and tomorrow, leaving Pearce focused on getting the best out of his team on Saturday.
  • If that training session is anything to go by Cowley is one boring man. 

Miked up and being filmed and that is the best he could come up with!
    I don’t suppose it occurs to him that he could explain why they are doing something, but then he would have to know himself and I am not sure he does.
    I really hope it is not him.
  • Sponsored links:

• ROKERITE said:
    I've wanted Danny Cowley to be our manager for a long time. I will be delighted if it finally happens.
    I am a big admirer of the Cowleys but I fear joining you would be a bad career move. Charlton Athletic appears to be in rather a mess. Methven and Rodwell are not men I regard highly and I'm glad neither is involved with my club anymore.

I can never understand the negativity from so many regarding the Cowleys. Few people have worked harder and longer to achieve jobs in The EFL. They have succeeded everywhere except Portsmouth. That they didn't take Pompey to the play-offs at least was a massive surprise to me. 

If Danny and Nicky are appointed I'll wish them and you the best of luck but for their sakes I would rather they were going somewhere else.
    They weren't successful at Huddersfield..

• I think Pearce has the right personality to become a manager - hopefully he will get the chance at some stage. 

Whoever we appoint it's not a great time to be inheriting a reatively weak squad with little chance to change it. The lack of experience is worrying.
  • Redrobo said:
    If that training session is anything to go by Cowley is one boring man. 

I don’t suppose it occurs to him that he could explain why they are doing something, but then he would have to know himself and I am not sure he does.
    because it would be really smart to give opposition managers something to watch before they play you 
  • Valley11 said:
    Cowley would be such a vanilla, uninspiring, happy to be middle of the road appointment.
    Which pretty much describes what we’ve become. 

Question...who would be an inspiring and realistic choice of manager?
  • edited August 2023
    ROKERITE said:
    I've wanted Danny Cowley to be our manager for a long time. I will be delighted if it finally happens.
    I am a big admirer of the Cowleys but I fear joining you would be a bad career move. Charlton Athletic appears to be in rather a mess. Methven and Rodwell are not men I regard highly and I'm glad neither is involved with my club anymore.

I can never understand the negativity from so many regarding the Cowleys. Few people have worked harder and longer to achieve jobs in The EFL. They have succeeded everywhere except Portsmouth. That they didn't take Pompey to the play-offs at least was a massive surprise to me. 

If Danny and Nicky are appointed I'll wish them and you the best of luck but for their sakes I would rather they were going somewhere else.

Neither was powell. I'm guessing the huddersfield gig is a difficult one and they are still suffering from loss of parachute money.
  • Valley11 said:
    Cowley would be such a vanilla, uninspiring, happy to be middle of the road appointment.
    Which pretty much describes what we’ve become. 

Question...who would be an inspiring and realistic choice of manager?
    Nobody has a clue...
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Redrobo said:

because it would be really smart to give opposition managers something to watch before they play you 
    So what was the point of doing it then? 
  • ROKERITE said:

that's not true
  • edited August 2023
    I believe these chancers sacked Holden (allegedly by text) with no ‘what next’ in place.
    For evidence we have the stupid timing first of all, then the reported (rejected) approach for Ferguson, allegedly Powell, maybe Bowyer. That is quickly followed by the ‘interviewing’ of several other people, allegedly once again. Though ‘interviews’ in football might not be of the type most of us would understand.
    For me those elements of the story suggest random thrashing around rather than an organisation that cares about the club, the players or the fans.

Over the months I have repeatedly suggested I want to look ‘no job title but huge influence’ Methven in the eye and get him to answer the question why he wants in at Charlton.

As for the Cowley brothers, well whether they are meh or brilliant is answered with wins and points.

I will say this about Danny Cowley, I tend to sit with visuals on the Directors box at development games played at the Valley, and I certainly remember seeing then Portsmouth manager Cowley at at least one fixture we played, so he is not above doing some scouting and checking in person…as he ought to do mind you. 
    He seemed to be decently regarded by the other football insiders he interacted with at those games. That suggests to me he has knowledge of players and people in the game which usually helps.
  • Redrobo said:
    fenaddick said:
    Redrobo said:

So what was the point of doing it then? 
    I guess he/his agent thought it might raise his profile. Like having cameras in the dressing room, I don’t know why you’d agree to it 
  • edited August 2023
    masicat said:
    Cowley and Appleton are panic managers. Toss of a coin type managers. Short term managers. Has to be Wilder or Bowyer. 
    Fancy being turned down by Ferguson FFS, how low can we go. Would be great now to get up and running and stuff Peterborough at the Valley. 
    I certainly agree that Appleton and Cowley are panic approaches. really nothing on the CV that yells 'this is who we need' which makes it odd why they would even be on a short list. Having read here and there statements like' nobody would want the Charlton job', those are people who would as they are unlikely to get better offers. Of other names out there who have been suggested, Richardson and Moore can both point to recent promotions, which should get them way ahead of the pack. Wlder and Nathan are also in the position of having a better CV to offer, so if Cowley or Appleton get the gig, I'm expecting a Dowie type blow out in around a month.
    And Ferguson? Why would he jack in a comfy job for an unstable club? And why did we need to ask a manager who is employed when there are lots who aren't? All in all, nothing adds up right now, or at leat, it doesn't add up in a way that inspires the fans.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!