Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Options
    I’m usually dead against ever going back because I think it rarely works but out of the realistic names being bandied about my personal choice would be Karl Robinson. Vast experience at our level. Gets teams playing attractive football and I think we currently have the squad that would fit into his preferred style. Definitely has his limitations but would be a solid choice. I’ve ruled out Moore and Jones purely because I don’t think they’d entertain coming. Having said that I doubt Robinson would either. 
    I think Robinson would definitely come back and agree with your reasons that he’d be a good choice. My only doubt is I’m not sure he would be able to command the respect of the dressing room if what allegedly happened at Oxford is to be believed 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Just seen the report about Powell turning down the job.

I don't really understand it, but I will say, if Powell was looking to get back into management it might be a nice arrangement for him and someone to tide us over until we get a fulltime manager in.

That being said, he's not been a manager for a while, and while he is a lovely man, he won this division a decade ago and even at the time he wasn't the most tactically progressive manager.

I feel like we need new blood. I'm glad that Senda has gone not because he seemed like a good or bad coach, but because us hiring a manager and then sticking them with coaches coming up from the youth team needs to end. We need new ideas. I expect Hayes will be gone when the new manager comes in as well, and Pearce will go back to the youth team. As it should be. It's time to expand our horizons. 
     You'll be giving you're right arm for someone of Powell's stature once this shambles has come to its conclusion.
    I don't know what "stature" means apart from being a good dude who once managed this club. NabySarr said:
    SDAddick said:
    Just seen the report about Powell turning down the job.

I don't really understand it, but I will say, if Powell was looking to get back into management it might be a nice arrangement for him and someone to tide us over until we get a fulltime manager in.

That being said, he's not been a manager for a while, and while he is a lovely man, he won this division a decade ago and even at the time he wasn't the most tactically progressive manager.

I feel like we need new blood. I'm glad that Senda has gone not because he seemed like a good or bad coach, but because us hiring a manager and then sticking them with coaches coming up from the youth team needs to end. We need new ideas. I expect Hayes will be gone when the new manager comes in as well, and Pearce will go back to the youth team. As it should be. It's time to expand our horizons. 
    I’m sure Powell has developed tactically while working at Spurs and England. If we had hired someone who has been England coach for years and worked in the spurs academy for years then I think that would be viewed as an exciting appointment even forgetting the fact it’s Powell 
    That's a fair point. I think I'm not totally clear on what he did with England apart from give hugs. And a hug from SCP would be lovely, so I figure that's worth the salary there. Kind of same at Spurs, not entirely sure what his day-to-day role was.

I also suspect he wants something else next, and it's probably not League One management.  
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I’m usually dead against ever going back because I think it rarely works but out of the realistic names being bandied about my personal choice would be Karl Robinson. Vast experience at our level. Gets teams playing attractive football and I think we currently have the squad that would fit into his preferred style. Definitely has his limitations but would be a solid choice. I’ve ruled out Moore and Jones purely because I don’t think they’d entertain coming. Having said that I doubt Robinson would either. 
    I think Robinson would definitely come back and agree with your reasons that he’d be a good choice. My only doubt is I’m not sure he would be able to command the respect of the dressing room if what allegedly happened at Oxford is to be believed 
    What was alleged to have happened at Oxford?

• Options
    Get curbs in, cant see why supporters dont want him he would sort out from top to bottom he knows what is required or does that not suit our new owners ?? Roy Hodgson is managing Palace at 76 in the premiership Curbs is over 10 years younger
    But Hodgson has spent the last 600 years managing teams. He's barely been out of the game at all, they couldn't even keep him retired. Curbs hasn't managed a team in 15 years, a lot has changed and he'll have to catch up with that. I don't think it would go well
    He would make more improvements in a week than the candidates suggested would do in a season imo
    Hard to base that on anything though given that some of the managers being suggested have had management careers shorter than the time Curbs has spent out of the job. I love Curbs as much as the next person but for all he might tighten up the defence, scratch out some draws and get two strikers working hard at the other end of the pitch I think he'd struggle with the modern footballer. He was already one for falling out with players and that was in a time when the manager usually won those struggles. We just don't know what he'd be like coming back in though and that makes it hard to justify throwing him back in to a very different game both on and off the pitch
    Id still say he has more knowledge,class and get more respect than the so far listed candidates and is hardly a novice
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Robinson sticks to his 4-2-3-1 doesn't he? Hard to see May fitting into that.
    Matty Taylor didn’t do too bad in his Oxford side. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I’m afraid I’m unaware of what happened there ?
  • Options
    agim said:
    Maybe the pressure got to him or something but Nathan Jones at Southampton seemed to have a fucking screw loose? 
    I think I had the line "he was humbled by his Southhampton experience, but not managing at League One humbled."

Yeah, it really seemed to do something to him. I still suspect we'll see him managing a Championship team at some point this season. But if I were on a hiring committee and I saw how he handled Southampton, I would be very skeptical about hiring someone who was a previously very highly rated coach.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Slightly different player thought. More physicality and hold up to his game. Not a target man, but I think a little more of a dynamic forward than May.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    NabySarr said:
    SDAddick said:
    NabySarr said:

Allegedly was having an affair with one of the women’s team. The players found out and left a sex doll in the changing room with a photo of the woman’s face on. The 2 players responsible were quickly loaned out and the club backed Robinson, but results didn’t improve and he was then sacked 
    quality :smiley:
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    That was until he was allegedly one of the players loaned out for the sex doll scandal 
  • Options
    agim said:
    Maybe the pressure got to him or something but Nathan Jones at Southampton seemed to have a fucking screw loose? 
    He has a very high opinion of himself as a manager and talks himself up a lot. In a premier league dressing room it was laughed at as probably a lot of the players hadn’t heard of him. At league 1 level though he is probably one of the best managers around so that kind of talk is maybe less cringe and works better with players lower down the pyramid? 
  • Options
    I hate the idea of bringing back any of our old managers but I honestly can't imagine having to put up with Karl Robinson again. I just cannot. I know a fair few on here liked him and rated him but I just couldn't stand all the chat that covered for a lack of enjoyable football. We had two fairly bleak seasons with him as manager, one where we finished 13th which is a joint lowest finish and one where we'd gone off the rails and Bowyer managed to get the same squad into the play-offs somehow. At Oxford despite some decent backing he only finished in the play-off spots twice and both times he lost. He hasn't been promoted out of L1 since 2014/15 despite operating almost exclusively in that league over that period. He had Roland to contend with but the transfer business doesn't look too different to back then so I don't see much changing. I at least understand the logic of bringing back managers who previously succeeded, but ones who just failed? No thanks.
    I doubt we’ll get better. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    agim said:
    He has a very high opinion of himself as a manager and talks himself up a lot. In a premier league dressing room it was laughed at as probably a lot of the players hadn’t heard of him. At league 1 level though he is probably one of the best managers around so that kind of talk is maybe less cringe and works better with players lower down the pyramid? 
    Problem Jones is going to have is everyone saw it implode at Southampton including L1 players. His methods worked at Luton but nowhere else and I'd imagine that will be even more true now. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    agim said:
    I think football dressing rooms are pretty tough environments and any chink of weakness that is exposed would be ruthlessly exploited. If he’s any way as insane as he came across at Southampton then he’ll be ridiculed behind his back. Talking himself up would make it worse. It’s a no from me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    NabySarr said:
    SDAddick said:
    NabySarr said:

Allegedly was having an affair with one of the women’s team. The players found out and left a sex doll in the changing room with a photo of the woman’s face on. The 2 players responsible were quickly loaned out and the club backed Robinson, but results didn’t improve and he was then sacked 

That kind of news probably travels quite quickly around dressing rooms. Think it will be a struggle for Robinson wherever he goes next 
    did he shag the doll ?
    No it went down on him and he had to get the leak repaired.
    That’s what happens when you use the tactics board with pins in it, schoolboy error 😏.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    NabySarr said:
    SDAddick said:
    NabySarr said:

That kind of news probably travels quite quickly around dressing rooms. Think it will be a struggle for Robinson wherever he goes next 
    did he shag the doll ?
    No it went down on him and he had to get the leak repaired.
    So inflation is down,i dont believe it  !!!
  • Options
    I imagine Chris Powell would feel insulted to only be offered the "interim" manager job even if he has no intention of managing again. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    agim said:
    Problem Jones is going to have is everyone saw it implode at Southampton including L1 players. His methods worked at Luton but nowhere else and I'd imagine that will be even more true now. 
    Yeah that would be my concern: how drastically and publicly it fell apart at Southampton. 

I think he may want to take a little time so that it's less fresh in the memory. 
  • Options
    barstool said:
    The rush to sack Holden is strange, either they have someone lined up or contractually maybe an extra compensation was about to cost them more after so many games etc. 
    They needed someone to blame in a hurry, and wanted to give the impression of a decisive, strong leadership who, how does it go?  "don't do failure".  Because they are American.  Apparently that makes a difference.
    I seem to recall the great Katrien telling us that Roland “didn’t do failure” either
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!