Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Swisdom said:
    I believe there is mileage in Nathan Jones and particularly in Appleton.

Johnson didn’t work out at Sunderland and I’m pretty positive he’s not on Methven’s Christmas card list 

Wilder - too dour and not been a roaring success for a little while. I believe there is also history with the smt from Oxford days

Interesting input. 

Can anyone remember what Appleton was like as a manager, we've memed him into oblivion that I genuinely have no idea what he is anymore.
    His experience that is relevant:

- Oxford: took over in 2014 as a League 2 club, got them promoted in his second season and they finished 8th in League 1 in his third and final season there.

- Lincoln: took over recently promoted club after they got promoted under Cowley. Led them to 16th, 5th and 17th in his three seasons.

- Blackpool: appointed to the Championship club after their promotion when Critchley left, sacked seven months in with Blackpool in 23rd.

Outside of that, various assistant and coaching gigs at Leicester, West Brom.
    Second season after promotion, Critchley had got them to mid table in the championship.
  • I don’t think it’s all that insulting if I’m honest, Powell will be on international duty after the weekend and we needed someone to help run the team this week 

• Fair enough, thought he’d be off with England next week 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    Darren Moore got plenty of stick  from Wednesday fans up here in Sheffield for his team selection and tactics I think he would have been sacked in summer if he didn’t get promoted but then got sacked anyway. 
    His not a choice for me. 

He got a Massive club promoted from League 1 but somehow he wouldn't be good enough for a middling to small London club?(The reality now !)  I appreciate Wednesday had a strong squad but in a results business he was a success. A 46 league game marathon and he got them over the line in their 49th match. Impressive to achieve.

I have already said I would like to build a club with a combo of a young Ryan Mason as manager with a Chris Powell as his assistant and mentor. I believe CP is doing very nicely with other projects and is unlikely to want to get involved with the day to day grind and traveling to desolate Northern outposts after the luxury of England travels.
    I’ve been a fan since his Doncaster side absolutely tonked us 4-0 (or 3-0?) [it was 3-1 -ed] in the Covid trial match at the Valley. We didn’t have a sniff. His win record is very good, he’s a good man. I’d be more than happy if he joined us. 
    Not sure he’d be keen, but he did walk down the touchline clapping the fans after their win, so perhaps it’s a Happy Valley for him. 
  • No idea CP's feelings, he may be a bit like Curbs and has moved on from wanting to be a manager, enjoying other roles in the game but obviously it is insulting to offer a club legend and our best manager since Curbs the job only on an interim basis.
  • Since January we've sold/released 14 first-team players.

This summer we've signed 7 players. 

No surprise the 'leaks' start coming when they've got to spin a narrative to excuse away why our squad has decreased by 7 first-team players. 
    OUT: Macgillivray, Stockley, JFC, O'connell, Clayden, Clare, Gilbey, Inniss, Morgan, Wollacott, Lavelle, Egbo. That's 12, who are the other 2?

IN: Hector, Isted, May, Camara, Edun, Jones, Taylor. And if Clayden is counted as a departure then we can surely count Anderson and Asiimwe to incomings. 

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

There's not really a single player in the ones gone that anyone was that sorry to lose or hadn't been slated as being total shit by half of this forum. But overall i wouldn't say the squad is considerably weaker despite the deficit in player numbers. 
    Why are you counting Anderson and Asiimwe? They were already at the club. They aren't signings. 

And the outs include Bonne and Harness. You could also count Henry going out on loan if you count loans as signings. 

The pool of players we can choose from has dropped by 7. Half haven't been replaced so even if they were no good, we've got nothing instead now. 

More notably, more experienced players have been let go and inexperienced youngsters have been told to fill their places. 
    I literally explained why in my reply. I'm not questioning signings, i'm questioning you saying our squad has depleted by 7. That isn't entirely accurate.

Clayden played 10 games for us, Harness just 1, JFC made 7 appearances in 18 months and Gilbey wasn't even here last season.

Not to mention that if you're counting academy players like Clayden and Harness as outgoings then surely it's only fair to count academy players like Anderson and Asiimwe coming into the squad? 
  • Fair enough, thought he’d be off with England next week 
    Dave, no worries mate, it’s not your national team so I’m cutting you some slack 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 😉
  • th0rryy said:
    If thats the sort of power that Scott has why would any sane manager consider us? you dont get to go for the players you want, and if you dont win with players Scott has chosen you are the one who is sacked.
    I want to see someone come in who can organise us defensively and tactically, but has a few years of L1 experience minimum. Our academy players crave having someone like that to help them develop.

sigh
    It’s that something you’ve heard, or just a feeling?

No surprise the 'leaks' start coming when they've got to spin a narrative to excuse away why our squad has decreased by 7 first-team players. 
    OUT: Macgillivray, Stockley, JFC, O'connell, Clayden, Clare, Gilbey, Inniss, Morgan, Wollacott, Lavelle, Egbo. That's 12, who are the other 2?

IN: Hector, Isted, May, Camara, Edun, Jones, Taylor. And if Clayden is counted as a departure then we can surely count Anderson and Asiimwe to incomings. 

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

There's not really a single player in the ones gone that anyone was that sorry to lose or hadn't been slated as being total shit by half of this forum. But overall i wouldn't say the squad is considerably weaker despite the deficit in player numbers. 
    Why are you counting Anderson and Asiimwe? They were already at the club. They aren't signings. 

And the outs include Bonne and Harness. You could also count Henry going out on loan if you count loans as signings. 

The pool of players we can choose from has dropped by 7. Half haven't been replaced so even if they were no good, we've got nothing instead now. 

More notably, more experienced players have been let go and inexperienced youngsters have been told to fill their places. 
    I literally explained why in my reply. I'm not questioning signings, i'm questioning you saying our squad has depleted by 7. That isn't entirely accurate.

Clayden played 10 games for us, Harness just 1, JFC made 7 appearances in 18 months and Gilbey wasn't even here last season.

Not to mention that if you're counting academy players like Clayden and Harness as outgoings then surely it's only fair to count academy players like Anderson and Asiimwe coming into the squad? 
    They both played for us last season in the EFL trophy regardless so you would count them coming into the squad last year based off your opinions. 

Either way the squad is smaller and we will struggle to recruit a decent manager until we get the squad sorted. 
  • How long is the interim role anyway? Works both ways, we might have said it's yours for the rest of the year and we assess in January, or even for the season and we assess in the summer (though that's a long time as an interim I'll admit) 

We might have said look we know there's no chance of getting you in permanently but we could all do with a morale boost someone like you would bring do you fancy coming on board for a few weeks? 

Powell might have turned it down for all manner of reasons, he might be looking at a job higher up, or not fancied the role, or he might have a month long holiday planned that starts next week and didn't want to cancel it
  • Sponsored links:

• OK let's compromise on this Chris Powell thing. ~Invite him on to Charlton ~TV

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

Academy players joining the first team squad are new players for the 1st team though.

It can certainly be argued that we have too many of them in our team at the moment, but in all seasons you'd expect one or two youngsters to break through and take the place of older players.
    So let's say Anderson comes in for Gilbey. Asiimwe comes in for Clare. Do you think they cost the same amounts or is there a huge saving made that currently isn't being used? 
    Hang on a minute though - that wasn’t your original argument. Clear moving of the goalposts...

As was mentioned, quality/experience of the available players can be debated all day long but your original central point revolved around 14 out, 7 in.
    The amount of players at Charlton has decreased by 7 since January. I haven't moved any goalposts.
    The following players made at least one league start last season:
    Dobson, Rak-Sakyi, Fraser, Clare, Payne, Inniss, Morgan, Leaburn, Sessegnon, Blackett-Taylor, Maynard-Brewer, Stockley, T. Campbell, Kirk, O’Connell, Hector, Wollacott, Bonne, Thomas, Egbo, Ness, Lavelle, Aneke, Kanu, McGrandles, Kilkenny, Clayden, Jaiyesimi, Mitchell, Kane, Penney, Chin, MacGillivray

Players that have made at least one league start (or signings that are expected to do so, Campbell basically) that didn’t last season:
    Jones, May, Edun, Asiimwe, Anderson, Camara, Taylor, Isted, Elerewe, C. Campbell.

So I make it 16 of 33 players that actually contributed in the league last season who are no longer at the club.

In their place so far we have 10 new players that have made first team league starts that didn’t last season. and the season is only five games old.

We’re not that far behind. And I certainly wouldn’t want us signing another 7 players without more outgoings.
    Regardless, this thread is meant to be about potential new managers and it’s being turned into a moan about Methven and the owners being cheap again. Like every other thread it seems.
    You done think it’s relevant?
  • I thought Powell had left Spurs to go to the middle east somewhere. Might have got that totally wrong. 

Leam Richardson feels like the most likely option if he's willing to relocate south. Can't see NJ even considering it because he'll want a championship club. As for anyone in work , I don't know how attractive we would be for anyone like a Bonner. 
  • "Next victim please"

Whoever takes on the poison challice had better get the compo right.
  • I wonder if Appleton is in the frame the immediate future of Mcgrandles may change.
  • I am not keen on Wilder as he seems like a manager failing his way down the leagues and not sure about Jones either as he appears to one of those managers who is only able to achieve success at one club. 
  • Get curbs in, cant see why supporters dont want him he would sort out from top to bottom he knows what is required or does that not suit our new owners ?? Roy Hodgson is managing Palace at 76 in the premiership Curbs is over 10 years younger
    But Hodgson has spent the last 600 years managing teams. He's barely been out of the game at all, they couldn't even keep him retired. Curbs hasn't managed a team in 15 years, a lot has changed and he'll have to catch up with that. I don't think it would go well
    He would make more improvements in a week than the candidates suggested would do in a season imo
  • I can see them asking Minto and Brown to be Interior Managers next, with Curb's left to look after CharltonTV.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!