Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    Lean Richardson set up Wigan with a 3-4-1-2 which I think could be a good option for us 

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
    CBT                                Edun
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Can we please do away with CBT as Wing Back, it really doesn't work!

Not only that, when your centre backs aren’t very good I’d rather play two of them than three. 
                        Isted
       Dabo    Jones     Hector   Edun
        Camara Chem Dobson CBT
               Leaburn   May

You could set up as 442 or tinker a bit and call it 4231 if you like, with Leaburn as the 1. 
    But it’s the same players on the pitch. 
  • Options
    Can't blame any of them for turning us down, good place to manage for a quick pay off, when they give you the Tin-Tac
  • Options
    Get curbs in, cant see why supporters dont want him he would sort out from top to bottom he knows what is required or does that not suit our new owners ?? Roy Hodgson is managing Palace at 76 in the premiership Curbs is over 10 years younger
    But Hodgson has spent the last 600 years managing teams. He's barely been out of the game at all, they couldn't even keep him retired. Curbs hasn't managed a team in 15 years, a lot has changed and he'll have to catch up with that. I don't think it would go well
    He would make more improvements in a week than the candidates suggested would do in a season imo
    Hard to base that on anything though given that some of the managers being suggested have had management careers shorter than the time Curbs has spent out of the job. I love Curbs as much as the next person but for all he might tighten up the defence, scratch out some draws and get two strikers working hard at the other end of the pitch I think he'd struggle with the modern footballer. He was already one for falling out with players and that was in a time when the manager usually won those struggles. We just don't know what he'd be like coming back in though and that makes it hard to justify throwing him back in to a very different game both on and off the pitch
  • Options
    Get curbs in, cant see why supporters dont want him he would sort out from top to bottom he knows what is required or does that not suit our new owners ?? Roy Hodgson is managing Palace at 76 in the premiership Curbs is over 10 years younger
    But Hodgson has spent the last 600 years managing teams. He's barely been out of the game at all, they couldn't even keep him retired. Curbs hasn't managed a team in 15 years, a lot has changed and he'll have to catch up with that. I don't think it would go well
    He would make more improvements in a week than the candidates suggested would do in a season imo
    This. The number of times after a bad result Curbs would say they'll go back to basics on the training ground and then followed it up with a much more solid performance next game. Was literally a Curbs trademark.
  • Options
    Curbs seems extremely comfortable in the studio enjoying his life as is, would be shocked if he would want the hassle of trying to sort out the current mess at a much lower level then he is used to. 
  • Options
    Appleton would have been an ideal older, more experienced coach to work alongside Holden.
  • Options
    Hard to base that on anything though given that some of the managers being suggested have had management careers shorter than the time Curbs has spent out of the job. I love Curbs as much as the next person but for all he might tighten up the defence, scratch out some draws and get two strikers working hard at the other end of the pitch I think he'd struggle with the modern footballer. He was already one for falling out with players and that was in a time when the manager usually won those struggles. We just don't know what he'd be like coming back in though and that makes it hard to justify throwing him back in to a very different game both on and off the pitch
    Hed also get the right coaches and backroom staff in , I dont think the new owners would offer him it though because he would wipe the floor with them all
  • Options
    Appleton would have been an ideal older, more experienced coach to work alongside Holden.
    He's only four years older than Dean
  • Options
    Marc Grosjean? 
    Might save them a…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's only four years older than Dean
    OK, more experienced then : - )
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I believe there is mileage in Nathan Jones and particularly in Appleton.

Johnson didn’t work out at Sunderland and I’m pretty positive he’s not on Methven’s Christmas card list 

Wilder - too dour and not been a roaring success for a little while. I believe there is also history with the smt from Oxford days

Interesting input. 

Can anyone remember what Appleton was like as a manager, we've memed him into oblivion that I genuinely have no idea what he is anymore.
    Managerial Career:

2011West Bromwich Albion (caretaker)
    2011–2012Portsmouth
    2012–2013Blackpool
    2013Blackburn Rovers
    2014–2017Oxford United
    2017Leicester City (caretaker)
    2019–2022Lincoln City
    2022–2023Blackpool
  • Options
    Oh and sacked last time out.
  • Options
    Appleton almost had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus.
  • Options
    Also doesn't Appleton fail the must have managed promotion form Div1 ? That someone suggested is a prerequisite of the SMT for the new manager. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Appleton almost had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus.
    Difference is Jack Nicklaus had success with his.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    Lean Richardson set up Wigan with a 3-4-1-2 which I think could be a good option for us 

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
    CBT                                Edun
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Can we please do away with CBT as Wing Back, it really doesn't work!

Not only that, when your centre backs aren’t very good I’d rather play two of them than three. 
                        Isted
       Dabo    Jones     Hector   Edun
        Camara Chem Dobson CBT
               Leaburn   May

You could set up as 442 or tinker a bit and call it 4231 if you like, with Leaburn as the 1. 
    But it’s the same players on the pitch. 
    If they're not very good then isn't that why you play 3 CB's though? As each player in theory has less space to cover and less room to make an error. And if he does make a mistake there are 2 other CB's to cover instead of 1. Basically the most obvious way to cover up the flaws is to put another body there.

I'm sure that's the reason Southgate always went with 3 at the back for England, because aside from Stones and Maguire (don't laugh) there wasn't a top level 3rd centre back. Which meant we often had to stick Walker there.
  • Options
    Andy Scott has got his work cut out this week. Trying to sign new players and bring in a new manager. Hope he can multi-task 
  • Options
    What are the odds on Pierce still manager at Christmas because 'we could not get the right man', or 'he won a game so we thought we would give him a chance to prove himself'. Then again, it will not cost the club anything as he is already on staff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seem to remember my Lincoln friend saying Appleton always wanted them to play out from the back.
  • Options
    I’m usually dead against ever going back because I think it rarely works but out of the realistic names being bandied about my personal choice would be Karl Robinson. Vast experience at our level. Gets teams playing attractive football and I think we currently have the squad that would fit into his preferred style. Definitely has his limitations but would be a solid choice. I’ve ruled out Moore and Jones purely because I don’t think they’d entertain coming. Having said that I doubt Robinson would either. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Robinson sticks to his 4-2-3-1 doesn't he? Hard to see May fitting into that.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Major said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Leam Richardson, Darren Moore, got promoted with the highest spending teams.
    I believe Richardson is on the shortlist 
    How is that possible, if the 'Skint' brigade are to be believed?
    Certain set of fans been against the group from day 1 and always going to say that.. Holden just cost 500K to sack. 

Those fans, also believe Holden is blameless. For me, it is both parties, we haven't got enough players through the door, that is either because we haven't sold the club well enough, or didn't want to work with Holden. 

Holden wanted a smaller squad of around 16 players, plus academy players coming through, he got his main man in May, despite better options being available to sign. 

Not sure many clubs in league One have spent as much as us this year in transfer fees, loan fees or signing on fees. 

Suppose the next appointment and the type of contact, will suggest if they are skint or not!
    Who were the better options available than May?
    Smith, Lapo, JHC, Nombe, Stansfield was all ahead of May, and we enquired about all of them before we signed May! 
    Enquiring and having a deal ready are two different things. As we found out just yesterday with Darren Ferguson. May is a good forward in this league and isn’t the problem. 
    You have to enquiry to be able to put a deal together! Never said May is a problem, point is Holden got who he wanted!

To be honest, we knew right from the start, they wasn't going to be spending millions and Holden wanted a small squad with academy players coming through! 

As I mentioned, lets see what the appointment is, and who the two loan players are.
    Didn’t you tell us Holden didn’t want May?!
    He has already explained that was incorrect information to be fair. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    It's a difficult time because we're the first club to sack their manager, and as such, interesting managers at other clubs haven't come free yet. 

I would not have been thrilled by Ferguson, but we could certainly do far worse. 

I'm sort of desperately looking at teams in the Championship and League One that have started slowly. I don't think Rotherham would part with Taylor, especially early on, but he would be a great get. Xisco at Sheff Wed would also be interesting, but I don't know that he'd need to drop down to League One unless he was set on managing and succeeding in England. 

So back to reality: 
    • Darren Moore: By all accounts a lovely guy. Think he did the right think being asked to be paid like a Championship manager at Sheff Wed. I just think he's probably holding out for a Championship job, and more importantly, I don't think his style fits our squad. At all. 
    • Bowyer: Never go back. 2018/19 was great. I think Bowyer did the best he could in 19/20. But I think people forget just how bereft of ideas he was at the end of his time here. And generally, he accomplished a lot here and I think it would be a real risk to him coming back now.
    • Robinson: Okay, my unpopular opinion is that this is a squad that would suit Robinson's system and style of play. Would I bring him back? Only if I absolutely couldn't get anyone else. But he did pretty well at Oxford, seemed to become a little more tactically flexible.
    • Bonner: I'm always a little worried about giving managers who have been at one club for a while a big step up. He's definitely done well with the resources at his disposal at Cambridge. 4-2-3-1 is what I think this squad will end up playing. 
    • Ritchie Wellens: I think this is very, very unlikely but he obviously did incredibly well with Orient last year. I like the way he wants to play football even if I think he made a poor substitution bringing off Piggot and not replacing him with a CF on opening day. 
    • Grant McCann: Makes sense that we would move on from Ferguson to McCann. 
    • Michael Appleton: I no longer know what type of manager Appleton is, I only know him as a meme.
    • Nathan Jones: I suspect he was (or should have been) humbled by his time at Soton. I don't think he was League One humbled, and I don't think a diamond suits this team. 
    • Euell/Pearce: I doubt Pearce is in line for it. Euell seems like a decent coach but I feel like he needs a senior managerial job, and also, I feel like this club could use some fresh blood from a coaching perspective.
    • Steve Cotterill: Cheekbones you could set your watch by. He's been around forever, and I really struggle to remember any of his sides. That's not necessarily a knock on him, it might be more about me and my memory, but he seems to be gradually working his way down the leagues.
    • Danny Cowley: There was a time when he seemed quite intriguing, but things didn't end well at Hudds and didn't seem to go well at Portsmouth and I'm now quite skeptical. I think he is a cautionary tale for someone like a Bonner--making the step up and falling short.
    • Warburton: He did alright with QPR, but it's weird to me that he hasn't had a job since. I don't know if that was by choice. 
    • Lee Johnson: There was a time when he was considered a bright young manager. It will be him I suspect.

It's, not an inspiring list. I really hope Rodwell has a deep rolladex with coaches who aren't his friends. I do think this could be a good job for a Championship Assistant looking to break into management (what we tried to do with Beale). Right now it just feels like there isn't a whole lot out there. I think Holden had to go, he'd hit his ceiling and he was bumping up against it. But sacking a manager is only half of the equation. Would this lot be okay to let Pearcey go 2-3 weeks to see who comes available? I doubt it given how poorly we've started, but we'll see.

I'm surprised Leam Richardson doesn't seem to be fancied by the bookies. He got Wigan promoted from L1 not long ago, so has proven success at this level (plus as assistant to Paul Cook), and been available since they sacked him a year ago, so might be "desperate" to get back into management

The reason he wasn't on my shortlist because I thought he was at Hull, but that was Liam Rossenier. So we can chalk that up to me getting old. But yes, I would think he's in with a shout, and he's the type I would expect on the shortlist (as Dubai mentioned). 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    What are the odds on Pierce still manager at Christmas because 'we could not get the right man', or 'he won a game so we thought we would give him a chance to prove himself'. Then again, it will not cost the club anything as he is already on staff.
    Remember the ‘trial period’ for Phil Parkinson?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!