Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• fenaddick said:
    Pretty insulting to ask Powell to do it as interim to be honest 
    I expect a contributing factor to turning it down - although he may of course have bigger fish to fry.
  • edited August 2023
    Since January we've sold/released 14 first-team players.

This summer we've signed 7 players. 

No surprise the 'leaks' start coming when they've got to spin a narrative to excuse away why our squad has decreased by 7 first-team players. 
    OUT: Macgillivray, Stockley, JFC, O'connell, Clayden, Clare, Gilbey, Inniss, Morgan, Wollacott, Lavelle, Egbo. That's 12, who are the other 2?

IN: Hector, Isted, May, Camara, Edun, Jones, Taylor. And if Clayden is counted as a departure then we can surely count Anderson and Asiimwe to incomings. 

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

There's not really a single player in the ones gone that anyone was that sorry to lose or hadn't been slated as being total shit by half of this forum. But overall i wouldn't say the squad is considerably weaker despite the deficit in player numbers. 
    Why are you counting Anderson and Asiimwe? They were already at the club. They aren't signings. 

And the outs include Bonne and Harness. You could also count Henry going out on loan if you count loans as signings. 

The pool of players we can choose from has dropped by 7. Half haven't been replaced so even if they were no good, we've got nothing instead now. 

More notably, more experienced players have been let go and inexperienced youngsters have been told to fill their places. 
    Academy players joining the first team squad are new players for the 1st team though.

It can certainly be argued that we have too many of them in our team at the moment, but in all seasons you'd expect one or two youngsters to break through and take the place of older players.
    So let's say Anderson comes in for Gilbey. Asiimwe comes in for Clare. Do you think they cost the same amounts or is there a huge saving made that currently isn't being used? 
    Hang on a minute though - that wasn’t your original argument. Clear moving of the goalposts...

As was mentioned, quality/experience of the available players can be debated all day long but your original central point revolved around 14 out, 7 in.
    The amount of players at Charlton has decreased by 7 since January. I haven't moved any goalposts.
    The following players made at least one league start last season:
    Dobson, Rak-Sakyi, Fraser, Clare, Payne, Inniss, Morgan, Leaburn, Sessegnon, Blackett-Taylor, Maynard-Brewer, Stockley, T. Campbell, Kirk, O’Connell, Hector, Wollacott, Bonne, Thomas, Egbo, Ness, Lavelle, Aneke, Kanu, McGrandles, Kilkenny, Clayden, Jaiyesimi, Mitchell, Kane, Penney, Chin, MacGillivray

Players that have made at least one league start (or signings that are expected to do so, Campbell basically) that didn’t last season:
    Jones, May, Edun, Asiimwe, Anderson, Camara, Taylor, Isted, Elerewe, C. Campbell.

So I make it 16 of 33 players that actually contributed in the league last season who are no longer at the club.

In their place so far we have 10 new players that have made first team league starts that didn’t last season. and the season is only five games old.

We’re not that far behind. And I certainly wouldn’t want us signing another 7 players without more outgoings.
    Anderson, Asiimwe and Elerewe were all at the club last season and available for selection. 

We have hollowed out our squad and forced Academy players into positions they shouldn't be (starting every game playing 90 minutes) to fill the gaps. 

No wonder every manager is turning us down. 
  • Cheers guys. 

Yeah, keep searching maybe....
  • Nathan Jones would be an excellent appointment at this level. Although, his record isn't great anywhere except Luton
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    Lean Richardson set up Wigan with a 3-4-1-2 which I think could be a good option for us 

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
    CBT                                Edun
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Can we please do away with CBT as Wing Back, it really doesn't work!

Could you ask your contact to buy some more players then. 
  • Valley11 said:
    sam3110 said:
    That is interesting.
    Interim so don’t blame him for turning it down. Hearts and minds appointment to appease the fans or genuine shot a giving a former great another go? 
    Lots of questions. 
    Interim manager! 
    Well that insult will stop him from applying.
  • edited August 2023

No surprise the 'leaks' start coming when they've got to spin a narrative to excuse away why our squad has decreased by 7 first-team players. 
    OUT: Macgillivray, Stockley, JFC, O'connell, Clayden, Clare, Gilbey, Inniss, Morgan, Wollacott, Lavelle, Egbo. That's 12, who are the other 2?

IN: Hector, Isted, May, Camara, Edun, Jones, Taylor. And if Clayden is counted as a departure then we can surely count Anderson and Asiimwe to incomings. 

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

There's not really a single player in the ones gone that anyone was that sorry to lose or hadn't been slated as being total shit by half of this forum. But overall i wouldn't say the squad is considerably weaker despite the deficit in player numbers. 
    Why are you counting Anderson and Asiimwe? They were already at the club. They aren't signings. 

And the outs include Bonne and Harness. You could also count Henry going out on loan if you count loans as signings. 

The pool of players we can choose from has dropped by 7. Half haven't been replaced so even if they were no good, we've got nothing instead now. 

More notably, more experienced players have been let go and inexperienced youngsters have been told to fill their places. 
    Academy players joining the first team squad are new players for the 1st team though.

It can certainly be argued that we have too many of them in our team at the moment, but in all seasons you'd expect one or two youngsters to break through and take the place of older players.
    So let's say Anderson comes in for Gilbey. Asiimwe comes in for Clare. Do you think they cost the same amounts or is there a huge saving made that currently isn't being used? 
    Hang on a minute though - that wasn’t your original argument. Clear moving of the goalposts...

As was mentioned, quality/experience of the available players can be debated all day long but your original central point revolved around 14 out, 7 in.
    The amount of players at Charlton has decreased by 7 since January. I haven't moved any goalposts.
    Dobson, Rak-Sakyi, Fraser, Clare, Payne, Inniss, Morgan, Leaburn, Sessegnon, Blackett-Taylor, Maynard-Brewer, Stockley, T. Campbell, Kirk, O’Connell, Hector, Wollacott, Bonne, Thomas, Egbo, Ness, Lavelle, Aneke, Kanu, McGrandles, Kilkenny, Clayden, Jaiyesimi, Mitchell, Kane, Penney, Chin, MacGillivray

Players that have made at least one league start (or signings that are expected to do so, Campbell basically) that didn’t last season:
    Jones, May, Edun, Asiimwe, Anderson, Camara, Taylor, Isted, Elerewe, C. Campbell.

So I make it 16 of 33 players that actually contributed in the league last season who are no longer at the club.

In their place so far we have 10 new players that have made first team league starts that didn’t last season. and the season is only five games old.

We’re not that far behind. And I certainly wouldn’t want us signing another 7 players without more outgoings.
    Anderson, Asiimwe and Elerewe were all at the club last season and available for selection. 

We have hollowed out our squad and forced Academy players into positions they shouldn't be (starting every game playing 90 minutes) to fill the gaps. 

They didn’t contribute in any meaningful capacity last season so should be considered new options for the first team, just as any academy player in any season should be.
  • Sorry, have not read all comments but am I being too suspicious? Scott is so busy finding a new manager he has not got time to look for new players 🥴
  • So there was a plan or contingency in place was there?
    Try Ferguson? Nah doesn't work out.
    Try Powell to appease the fans? Nah doesn't work out.
    Try and explain how what they're looking for would be an upgrade on Holden? Over to you Rodwell, nah over to you Methven, nah over to you Scott, nah over to you Keohane, nah over to you some obscure American person.
    They are making it all up as they go along. Not day to day it seems, but hour by hour.
    At least they have a burger expert around to have something to stuff into their mouths.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

They didn’t contribute in any meaningful capacity last season so should be considered new options for the first team, just as any academy player in any season should be.
    They were options last season too, just behind the first-team squad members that we have now lost. 

If we had 6 CBs injured last season Elerewe would have played. Same for Asiimwe at RB and Anderson at CM. 

I don't understand people claiming them as some form of signings. They were here last season. 
  • Since January we've sold/released 14 first-team players.

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

Regardless, this thread is meant to be about potential new managers and it’s being turned into a moan about Methven and the owners being cheap again. Like every other thread it seems.
    And also team formations which,should have it own thread.
  • Would Appleton have managed McGrandles, Payne or Kirk?
  • Shambles. Asking our biggest legend of this century to come back on an interim basis. Clearly no plan when sacking Holden and any optimism I had about this new ownership (due to Metven involvement it was tiny to start with) has now quickly gone. 

Suddenly starting to really think we may have a relegation battle on our hands. Bigger clubs than us have sudddenly found themselves in league 2. 
  • Smithy said:
    Powell as interim manager is an unbelievably cynical attempt to quieten the fans down 
    Offering him an interim position will have the opposite effect. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think of all the names mentioned;

Darren Moore - echo what's already been said, think it's a non-goer personally

Leam Richardson - is a great shout and one I didn't think of at all, really impressive with Wigan and a real dark horse shout 

Nathan Jones - Ego too big and I think he would leave anyway after finding form

Chris Wilder - My personal 'realistic dream' choice manager. Old school but still up to date with modern football. Players like Dobson and May will thrive under him

Karl Robinson - Probably not an inspired choice but he's very experienced, had Oxford always fighting for play offs and when he gets it right, his sides play good football, we have the personnel for a 4231 as well.

Other than that I can't really see anyone else 
  • Since January we've sold/released 14 first-team players.

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

They were options last season too, just behind the first-team squad members that we have now lost. 

If we had 6 CBs injured last season Elerewe would have played. Same for Asiimwe at RB and Anderson at CM. 

I don't understand people claiming them as some form of signings. They were here last season. 
    Youth players, in theory, improve to become first team options when they are ready to contribute. That’s why they can be considered new signings.

If we signed a senior pro for every senior pro that left, we’d never have any academy players in the side. Space should be made for them to come in and be a part of the first team.

If you don’t want to consider academy players as “new signings”, then by the same logic they shouldn’t ever be considered losses. So Morgan and Clayden not real losses from last season and don’t need replacing.

But I’m sure even you would find that notion ludicrous.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    For me, this is the biggest week since the takeover. 

Get the manager and remaining signings wrong and we all know you're full of shite. 
    Think it'll be longer than a week. No way 1 man can handle the last few days of the window and appoint a manager. I reckon Pearce will still be in charge for Wigan, maybe even Stevenage
  • "We want transparency"

"That's being too transparent"
  • Dazzler21 said:
    For me, this is the biggest week since the takeover. 

Get the manager and remaining signings wrong and we all know you're full of shite. 
    Will we get a manager this week though? If they were offering Powell an interim role that would suggest not. So I’m unsure how we are going to get the remaining signings right when we don’t have a manager! Why would any player choose to join a club that doesn’t have one? We will lose out on anyone who has another club interested 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    "We want transparency"

"That's being too transparent"
    Remember CM is a PR consultant, his job has been putting spin on unfavourable stories. Surely we can call out his spin?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!