Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Major said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Leam Richardson, Darren Moore, got promoted with the highest spending teams.
    I believe Richardson is on the shortlist 
    How is that possible, if the 'Skint' brigade are to be believed?
    Certain set of fans been against the group from day 1 and always going to say that.. Holden just cost 500K to sack. 

Those fans, also believe Holden is blameless. For me, it is both parties, we haven't got enough players through the door, that is either because we haven't sold the club well enough, or didn't want to work with Holden. 

Holden wanted a smaller squad of around 16 players, plus academy players coming through, he got his main man in May, despite better options being available to sign. 

Not sure many clubs in league One have spent as much as us this year in transfer fees, loan fees or signing on fees. 

Suppose the next appointment and the type of contact, will suggest if they are skint or not!
    Who were the better options available than May?
    Smith, Lapo, JHC, Nombe, Stansfield was all ahead of May, and we enquired about all of them before we signed May! 
    Enquiring and having a deal ready are two different things. As we found out just yesterday with Darren Ferguson. May is a good forward in this league and isn’t the problem. 
    You have to enquiry to be able to put a deal together! Never said May is a problem, point is Holden got who he wanted!

To be honest, we knew right from the start, they wasn't going to be spending millions and Holden wanted a small squad with academy players coming through! 

As I mentioned, lets see what the appointment is, and who the two loan players are.
    No worries guys, we just need to see who the new youngsters are before we start complaining about how many youngsters we're forced to play with. 
  • Options
    If thats the sort of power that Scott has why would any sane manager consider us? you dont get to go for the players you want, and if you dont win with players Scott has chosen you are the one who is sacked.
    Isn’t that modern football though. Every club has a technical/sporting director of some type. 

Last year, we were rightfully complaining that Martin Sandgaard, a man with no football experience was making key decisions. Now we have a football man in charge of those decisions, a man who has been a player, manager, scout and director of football elsewhere, and we’re complaining he’s got too much power. Andy Scott is already getting the Ged Roddy treatment. 
    If it is true that Scott sacked Holden by text, or got somebody else to do it it says to me that he is a deeply unpleasant person.
    Maybe the accusation isn’t true, I have no evidence only what @ChicagoAddick has reported. If Scott or whoever travelled to Holden’s gaff and spoke to him face to face then he and the regime goes up in my estimation.
    I know one thing, I will never be allowed in any circumstances to ask Methven or Scott (or Rodwell) any questions uncensored or controlled face to face in front of witnesses and an electronic recording.
  • Options
    WSA said:
    need to know who the blond is  :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd like to see a full external team. Promoting from within to key coaching positions hasn't worked that well for us lately.
  • Options
    TeeC said:
    Yes the text thing needs to be ignored I think, 1) because context matters and we don’t have any, and 2) it may not be true anyway
    Could have had a discussion first that a meeting was to be had to decide and followed up with a text to confirm the outcome. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    shirty5 said:
    A glimpse as to where the decision making power lies.
    Was it Scott who sacked Holden by text?
    If that’s how Scott rolls then my feeling towards him is one of utter contempt.
    How do we know he got sacked by text? What is your source? Unless Crawley can confirm that or the Club then I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
    Absolutely right. We don’t know for certain, the source is a comment made immediately after news of the sacking emerged. The person most likely to know the truth is Dean Holden.
    However now the accusation is out there it might be good form for Scott, or Rodwell, or Methven to be asked directly and hear them deny it.
    If Holden was indeed sacked by text would that influence your opinion about the regime?
  • Options
    Since January we've sold/released 14 first-team players.

This summer we've signed 7 players. 

No surprise the 'leaks' start coming when they've got to spin a narrative to excuse away why our squad has decreased by 7 first-team players. 
    OUT: Macgillivray, Stockley, JFC, O'connell, Clayden, Clare, Gilbey, Inniss, Morgan, Wollacott, Lavelle, Egbo. That's 12, who are the other 2?

IN: Hector, Isted, May, Camara, Edun, Jones, Taylor. And if Clayden is counted as a departure then we can surely count Anderson and Asiimwe to incomings. 

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

There's not really a single player in the ones gone that anyone was that sorry to lose or hadn't been slated as being total shit by half of this forum. But overall i wouldn't say the squad is considerably weaker despite the deficit in player numbers. 
  • Options
    The squad is not weaker then last season but it is only slightly stronger which is not going to get us any serious chance of promotion.
  • Options
    LargeAddick said: oh
    seth plum said:
    shirty5 said:
    How do we know he got sacked by text? What is your source? Unless Crawley can confirm that or the Club then I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
    https://x.com/alex_crook/status/1695906423937347727?s=46&t=86XRpoKnrkKw_InpJkb-Yg

The sacking via text source came from Alex Crook (Chief Football Correspondent at TalksSport)
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    se9addick said:
    SDAddick said:
    It's a difficult time because we're the first club to sack their manager, and as such, interesting managers at other clubs haven't come free yet. 

I would not have been thrilled by Ferguson, but we could certainly do far worse. 

I'm sort of desperately looking at teams in the Championship and League One that have started slowly. I don't think Rotherham would part with Taylor, especially early on, but he would be a great get. Xisco at Sheff Wed would also be interesting, but I don't know that he'd need to drop down to League One unless he was set on managing and succeeding in England. 

So back to reality: 
    • Darren Moore: By all accounts a lovely guy. Think he did the right think being asked to be paid like a Championship manager at Sheff Wed. I just think he's probably holding out for a Championship job, and more importantly, I don't think his style fits our squad. At all. 
    • Bowyer: Never go back. 2018/19 was great. I think Bowyer did the best he could in 19/20. But I think people forget just how bereft of ideas he was at the end of his time here. And generally, he accomplished a lot here and I think it would be a real risk to him coming back now.
    • Robinson: Okay, my unpopular opinion is that this is a squad that would suit Robinson's system and style of play. Would I bring him back? Only if I absolutely couldn't get anyone else. But he did pretty well at Oxford, seemed to become a little more tactically flexible.
    • Bonner: I'm always a little worried about giving managers who have been at one club for a while a big step up. He's definitely done well with the resources at his disposal at Cambridge. 4-2-3-1 is what I think this squad will end up playing. 
    • Ritchie Wellens: I think this is very, very unlikely but he obviously did incredibly well with Orient last year. I like the way he wants to play football even if I think he made a poor substitution bringing off Piggot and not replacing him with a CF on opening day. 
    • Grant McCann: Makes sense that we would move on from Ferguson to McCann. 
    • Michael Appleton: I no longer know what type of manager Appleton is, I only know him as a meme.
    • Nathan Jones: I suspect he was (or should have been) humbled by his time at Soton. I don't think he was League One humbled, and I don't think a diamond suits this team. 
    • Euell/Pearce: I doubt Pearce is in line for it. Euell seems like a decent coach but I feel like he needs a senior managerial job, and also, I feel like this club could use some fresh blood from a coaching perspective.
    • Steve Cotterill: Cheekbones you could set your watch by. He's been around forever, and I really struggle to remember any of his sides. That's not necessarily a knock on him, it might be more about me and my memory, but he seems to be gradually working his way down the leagues.
    • Danny Cowley: There was a time when he seemed quite intriguing, but things didn't end well at Hudds and didn't seem to go well at Portsmouth and I'm now quite skeptical. I think he is a cautionary tale for someone like a Bonner--making the step up and falling short.
    • Warburton: He did alright with QPR, but it's weird to me that he hasn't had a job since. I don't know if that was by choice. 
    • Lee Johnson: There was a time when he was considered a bright young manager. It will be him I suspect.

It's, not an inspiring list. I really hope Rodwell has a deep rolladex with coaches who aren't his friends. I do think this could be a good job for a Championship Assistant looking to break into management (what we tried to do with Beale). Right now it just feels like there isn't a whole lot out there. I think Holden had to go, he'd hit his ceiling and he was bumping up against it. But sacking a manager is only half of the equation. Would this lot be okay to let Pearcey go 2-3 weeks to see who comes available? I doubt it given how poorly we've started, but we'll see.
    I know you took a lot of time making this post but Chris Powell is abscent from that list;

Reason - he "gets" us - Holden made a big "thing" about the no dick head rule - CP didn't even feel the need to explain that as a prerequisit - it was a natural assumption for any player coming here.
    Ability - he has previous significant success - he's won this league once at a canter
    Opportunity - he is available and not in current employment
    Financial - it wouldn't cost us a major amount since he is coming from a coaching role 
    Most importantly - gives the fan base the kind of lift that is potentially only possible with one other encumbent
    and dare I forget Will - unfinished business, affinity with the fans, wanting to prove he is a top level manager

I don’t really think Powell is an option these days.
    What makes you think this se9? I think he’d come to us and his track record for us was excellent. Everyone will have different opinions on who they want, but I definitely would think he’d be an option would he not?

My main concern with Powell would be that it worked last time after a really intense summer of recruitment which he wouldn’t get this time round. I do think however, the players we’ve signed this summer are really Powell type players.

- It’s been years since Powell actually managed a team. He’s had a pretty successful spell as a coach in that time, so it’s not like he’s been out of the game, but he hasn’t managed.
    - other than that one, amazing, season which is now a decade ago, he hasn’t really set the world on fire as a manager.
    - I worry that failure, which is far more likely than not given the state the clubs in, would tarnish the esteem he’s held in. We need some hero’s, let’s not create an opportunity for them to fall from their pedestal.  

I don’t believe  phrases like “he gets us” and “he has unfinished business” really make for a compelling argument. 
    The argument for me is that he has been working in elite environments with some of the best coaches and players. That surely will have improved him as a manager and he’d probably be completely different to how he was 10 years ago. He’s had lots of experience working with young players too which I think could be very helpful looking at the make-up of our squad 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    shirty5 said:
    https://x.com/alex_crook/status/1695906423937347727?s=46&t=86XRpoKnrkKw_InpJkb-Yg

The sacking via text source came from Alex Crook (Chief Football Correspondent at TalksSport)
    I think Alex Crook's contact is Holden's agent as he was the one who kept tweeting that Holden was linked to jobs he obviously wasn't getting so I'm taking the text thing with a pinch of salt. That said, football is brutal so I wouldn't be surprised
  • Options
    edited August 2023

No surprise the 'leaks' start coming when they've got to spin a narrative to excuse away why our squad has decreased by 7 first-team players. 
    OUT: Macgillivray, Stockley, JFC, O'connell, Clayden, Clare, Gilbey, Inniss, Morgan, Wollacott, Lavelle, Egbo. That's 12, who are the other 2?

IN: Hector, Isted, May, Camara, Edun, Jones, Taylor. And if Clayden is counted as a departure then we can surely count Anderson and Asiimwe to incomings. 

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

There's not really a single player in the ones gone that anyone was that sorry to lose or hadn't been slated as being total shit by half of this forum. But overall i wouldn't say the squad is considerably weaker despite the deficit in player numbers. 
    Why are you counting Anderson and Asiimwe? They were already at the club. They aren't signings. 

And the outs include Bonne and Harness. You could also count Henry going out on loan if you count loans as signings. 

The pool of players we can choose from has dropped by 7. Half haven't been replaced so even if they were no good, we've got nothing instead now. 

More notably, more experienced players have been let go and inexperienced youngsters have been told to fill their places. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    shirty5 said:

I know where it came from, does it make it true though?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    shirty5 said:
    Absolutely right. We don’t know for certain, the source is a comment made immediately after news of the sacking emerged. The person most likely to know the truth is Dean Holden.
    However now the accusation is out there it might be good form for Scott, or Rodwell, or Methven to be asked directly and hear them deny it.
    If Holden was indeed sacked by text would that influence your opinion about the regime?
    not neccessarily, it doesn't look good and it isn't right either but you'd need to know the context. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    seth plum said:
    shirty5 said:

I know where it came from, does it make it true though?
    Just passing on where the source came from. I’m not saying if it is true or not. Calm down 
  • Options
    Why would you count since January?

It's since the takeover completed that counts. I don't care about January as Sandgaard was still limiting purchases/sales.

There's certainly too many promoted from within, but that's not our problem. The problem is the lack of improvement across the permies, where Bonne is the only one replaced with better. 
  • Options

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

Why are you counting Anderson and Asiimwe? They were already at the club. They aren't signings. 

And the outs include Bonne and Harness. You could also count Henry going out on loan if you count loans as signings. 

The pool of players we can choose from has dropped by 7. Half haven't been replaced so even if they were no good, we've got nothing instead now. 

More notably, more experienced players have been let go and inexperienced youngsters have been told to fill their places. 
    Academy players joining the first team squad are new players for the 1st team though.

It can certainly be argued that we have too many of them in our team at the moment, but in all seasons you'd expect one or two youngsters to break through and take the place of older players.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Why would you count since January?

It's since the takeover completed that counts. I don't care about January as Sandgaard was still limiting purchases/sales.

There's certainly too many promoted from within, but that's not our problem. The problem is the lack of improvement across the permies, where Bonne is the only one replaced with better. 
    Budget getting smaller with the amount of experienced players sold/released is my point. 
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    The squad is not weaker then last season but it is only slightly stronger which is not going to get us any serious chance of promotion.
    I'm not sure I totally agree with that Ben, Saki is a big loss and last year we never had a left back, this year we haven't got a right back. The kids are great but they should be coming from the bench not starting, there is still a bit to do before I think we can say its an improvement. 
  • Options

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

Academy players joining the first team squad are new players for the 1st team though.

It can certainly be argued that we have too many of them in our team at the moment, but in all seasons you'd expect one or two youngsters to break through and take the place of older players.
    So let's say Anderson comes in for Gilbey. Asiimwe comes in for Clare. Do you think they cost the same amounts or is there a huge saving made that currently isn't being used? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!