Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Options
    I'd say we're about on par with last seasons squad. We have more quality in some areas and the potential of quality in others. 

I don't think we're improved yet, but I also think once a player is 20+ years old they should start to be playing a lot more at the level you want them to reach. The Kanu is a great advert that it can be done earlier if the integration is right and Leaburn is a lucky flip of the coin. 

Anderson and Asiimwe currently look no worse than some of the 25+ year old pros they have replaced, so will be fine to continue so long as they're managed in terms of how long and how many games they get. I would suggest 30 games averaging 60 -70 minutes would be a fair amount for them and better if they're good enough that they do it for us, than in the leagues below. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Major said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Leam Richardson, Darren Moore, got promoted with the highest spending teams.
    I believe Richardson is on the shortlist 
    How is that possible, if the 'Skint' brigade are to be believed?
    Certain set of fans been against the group from day 1 and always going to say that.. Holden just cost 500K to sack. 

Those fans, also believe Holden is blameless. For me, it is both parties, we haven't got enough players through the door, that is either because we haven't sold the club well enough, or didn't want to work with Holden. 

Holden wanted a smaller squad of around 16 players, plus academy players coming through, he got his main man in May, despite better options being available to sign. 

Not sure many clubs in league One have spent as much as us this year in transfer fees, loan fees or signing on fees. 

Suppose the next appointment and the type of contact, will suggest if they are skint or not!
    Who were the better options available than May?
    Smith, Lapo, JHC, Nombe, Stansfield was all ahead of May, and we enquired about all of them before we signed May! 
    Smith - we were said to have made an offer and he chose to go back to his old club Reading. Someone on here even said we offered a bigger wage.

Ladapo - sure he was available? He hasn’t left Ipswich yet.

JCH - an older player with no resale value and a lot bigger asking price than May. Are you confident Holden stopped us from signing him as he wanted May and the owners were willing to pay for him?

Nombe - a much higher asking price than May, better is debatable though. I don’t know enough about him but his goalscoring record isn’t as good as May’s over the last two seasons, but being younger he should have far more potential to improve.

Stansfield - went to the Championship, so wasn’t available to us.

To add to that, given we’re still after a striker and made Smith an offer I’m not seeing how May joining for about £250k stopped another striker coming in - we’ve been after another all summer.
    Smith we was very close.

Ladapo was available and still might be, we wanted to take him & Camara within the same deal.

JCH was seen a striker that could have got us out of the league, and Scott wanted him but Holden didn't

Nombe - we would have gone back in for him, but we wouldn't have got May, was one or the other.

Stansfield - was actually really close to signing, but wanted championship move.

We was certainly in the running for players in my opinion are better than May!
    Strange how so many deals were close but we just couldn't get them over the line.

Maybe take a step back and think that maybe, just maybe, the SMT are spinning the failure to get another striker and now that Holden has gone, shifting the blame on him.

"Nombe - we would have gone back in for him, but we wouldn't have got May, was one or the other."  Ask yourself why was it one of the other?  On what basis other than money as they would compliment each other as players.

Stansfield - was actually really close to signing, but wanted championship move.  But since we aren't a championship club it can't have ever been that close.

JCH was seen a striker that could have got us out of the league, and Scott wanted him but Holden didn't  Maybe so but Holden has gone now so nothing stopping Scott going back in for him other than the Posh owner saying we can't afford him. 
    Also Holden made a point a couple of times that Peterborough has managed to keep hold of him, in the build up to our game with them, Holden spoke a bit about JCH so I would be very surprised if he didn't want to sign him. 
    Trying to spin us not signing JCH because Holden didn’t want him is laughable. I’m sure the spin doctors will be working to shift the blame to Sandgaard and Holden for us having a disastrous start but I think it’s clear to nearly all fans who’s the most at fault 
    But hush. They are only passing on what they are told in good faith. It could be right.....it could be wrong. You'll just have to trust the process.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Nathan Jones needs to rebuild what WAS a very good reputation but somewhat tarnished with the shambles at Southampton last year.  I’d definitely like to see him back in our colours
    The problem Jones has now isn't just that he failed with Saints in the Premier League, every manager fails and it was a high level, it's that he made himself look absolutely mental across the course of his reign. Being tactically out of his depth and indecisive is one thing but all his viral interviews where he managed to come across as both arrogant and insane along with it is going to make chairmen think twice about whether or not they want to work with him. It's a shame but he's only got himself to blame
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Swisdom said:
    Nathan Jones needs to rebuild what WAS a very good reputation but somewhat tarnished with the shambles at Southampton last year.  I’d definitely like to see him back in our colours
    Fair enough Swis but If it’s a no from Bob Munro who would the know fella well, it’s a no from me also.
  • Options
    This. 
    if we want to use wing backs get wing backs in instead of trying our wingers playing it when they are not good enough defensively 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    Lean Richardson set up Wigan with a 3-4-1-2 which I think could be a good option for us 

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
    CBT                                Edun
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Can we please do away with CBT as Wing Back, it really doesn't work!

This is the issue that Holden had, trying to fit players in to a system, rather than playing a system to the players strengths that we have available. 
    Sounds like a recruitment issue. 
    Maybe it is, or those players not available. Or it could also be a stubbornness problem.. Pick or choose, it hasn't worked and change is needed!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    ValleyBen said:
    The squad is not weaker then last season but it is only slightly stronger which is not going to get us any serious chance of promotion.
    I'm not sure I totally agree with that Ben, Saki is a big loss and last year we never had a left back, this year we haven't got a right back. The kids are great but they should be coming from the bench not starting, there is still a bit to do before I think we can say its an improvement. 
    I would say our goalkeeping, defence and attacking options are pretty much the same as last season, as May replaces Rak-Sakyi in goals.

Camara and maybe Taylor make our midfield stronger.

So we are very slightly stronger but that is an extremely low bar, one that I hoped new owners would leap over.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    PWR much.

Here we are on the new manager thread and expecting chat on Arteta, Klopp and Pep? 

Instead already talking about formations and transfers, huh! CL eh?
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Lean Richardson set up Wigan with a 3-4-1-2 which I think could be a good option for us 

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

I'd prefer we went 5-4-1 as Leaburn isn't back yet. It gives you the flexibility that one of the defence can step into midfield for Campbell or CBT to support may in attack making us transform from 5-4-1 to 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 
    Starting - 5-4-1
    Isted
    Asiimwe - Jones - Hector - Thomas - Edun
    C.Campbell - Camara - Dobson - B.Taylor
    May
    Attack A - 4-3-3
    Isted
    Asiimwe - Jones - Hector - Edun
    Camara - Thomas - Dobson
    Campbell - May - B.Taylor

Attack B - 4-4-2
    Isted
    Assimwe - Jones - Hector - Edun
    Camara - Dobson - Thomas - B.Taylor
    C.Campbell - May
  • Options
    Jason Pearce as interim manager knows how to defend . His team will be :
    Isted
    Jones,Ness,Hector,Thomas
    Camara, McGrandles,Dobson.Edun
    May, Chem:smile:

a straight 4 4 2 with the youngsters having a well earned rest.

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

This is the issue that Holden had, trying to fit players in to a system, rather than playing a system to the players strengths that we have available. 
    Maybe it is, or those players not available. Or it could also be a stubbornness problem.. Pick or choose, it hasn't worked and change is needed!
    Completely agree. But the manager isn't the issue. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Okay what part of the form over the last 15 games is good enough to keep a job?
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Is the wage budget higher or lower than last season? 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

How has it not worked? He’s been our best player this season. When Thomas was behind him in the first 2 games it worked fine. We’ve been a lot worse in other games where he’s tried other things.

How else do we get a team that has 2 up front but also has CBT in the team? It’s our best option 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Without seeing the financials, I don't know. But if you go by what Peter Storrie, TS, Rodwell and CM have said, it is higher. 

But if you are happy with 5 wins in 15 games then fine pal!

What was the excuse for the results last year, when he had a higher budget as you keep say?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Without seeing the financials, I don't know. But if you go by what Peter Storrie, TS, Rodwell and CM have said, it is higher. 

What was the excuse for the results last year, when he had a higher budget as you keep say?

Unless May is getting paid 30k a week, I don't think it's anywhere close to being as high if you look at squad numbers and the profile of the players in it. 

I never said I liked Holden. I throw him in with the ownership as he was their hand picked man. They are all failing at their jobs. When the entire group is failing, maybe they don't have a clue what they're doing. 

We released a bunch of players in January so again a smaller squad at the back end of last year. Thanks to your pals CM et al. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Would also add that there isn’t a system that fits the players we have available. And if there is then it is probably a 3 at the back with CBT at wing back, it’s not ideal but the recruitment hasn’t been good enough for us to do much else at the moment. 

It’s essentially a choice between playing May up front on his own or CBT at wing back. The first 2 games showed that with Thomas behind him it could work so I’d go with that option. CBT is better at wing back than May is at playing on his own up front 
  • Options
    Think it was 433 against orient. 
    Watch first half against Oxford again that’s why CBT should not be wing back in 352 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

I'd prefer we went 5-4-1 as Leaburn isn't back yet. It gives you the flexibility that one of the defence can step into midfield for Campbell or CBT to support may in attack making us transform from 5-4-1 to 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 
    Starting - 5-4-1
    Isted
    Asiimwe - Jones - Hector - Thomas - Edun
    C.Campbell - Camara - Dobson - B.Taylor
    May
    Attack A - 4-3-3
    Isted
    Asiimwe - Jones - Hector - Edun
    Camara - Thomas - Dobson
    Campbell - May - B.Taylor

Attack B - 4-4-2
    Isted
    Assimwe - Jones - Hector - Edun
    Camara - Dobson - Thomas - B.Taylor
    C.Campbell - May
    We don’t have a midfielder good enough to do that, definitely not Terrell Thomas! Maybe Edun could do it with Thomas covering left back, but I don’t think that’s any better than Thomas covering LB and allowing CBT to essentially play as a winger rather than wing back.

Without Leaburn or a new striker I think 4-2-3-1 is our best bet 

Isted 
    Asiimwe Jones Hector Edun 
                 Camara Dobson 
    Tyreece        Chem        CBT
                         May 

but we can’t have this long term as May is not a lone striker. We can’t expect him to score 20+ goal if we don’t set up to play to his strengths. It’s got to be 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 or there was literally no point in us signing him 

• Options
    Think it was 433 against orient. 
    Watch first half against Oxford again that’s why CBT should not be wing back in 352 
    The problem wasn’t CBT, it’s that we had Jones at LCB behind him. As I’ve said before, when Thomas was playing LCB there were no problems and CBT was not really playing wing back. 

It was 3-5-2 against Orient but Thomas was playing LCB and LB with CBT LWB but more of a left winger. This hybrid formation worked well in the first 2 games but for some reason Holden decided to not stick with it and we were then worse the next 3 games 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Would also add that there isn’t a system that fits the players we have available. And if there is then it is probably a 3 at the back with CBT at wing back, it’s not ideal but the recruitment hasn’t been good enough for us to do much else at the moment. 

It’s essentially a choice between playing May up front on his own or CBT at wing back. The first 2 games showed that with Thomas behind him it could work so I’d go with that option. CBT is better at wing back than May is at playing on his own up front 
    I would say we have the players to play 433 or 442 or 451 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Unless May is getting paid 30k a week, I don't think it's anywhere close to being as high if you look at squad numbers and the profile of the players in it. 

I never said I liked Holden. I throw him in with the ownership as he was their hand picked man. They are all failing at their jobs. When the entire group is failing, maybe they don't have a clue what they're doing. 

We released a bunch of players in January so again a smaller squad at the back end of last year. Thanks to your pals CM et al. 
    As I said, a number of times CM certainly isn't my pal, I have never spoke to him! Isn't FFP judged on what last season turnover? And last season would have been a car crash on that front, so maybe we can't spend as much on wages because of that. 

I don't know enough about FFP, surely it wouldn't be judged on a monthly basis or a prediction, so assume it is on last seasons results, which was one of our worst years I believe on revenue?
    I’m pretty sure it’s judged on this season, which is why the punishments are always retrospective. Otherwise the EFL would be able to react a lot quicker if a team was breaching it based on last seasons numbers 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!