Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• Options
    To be fair I think Holden been unfair with Thomas his been our most steady defender so far. Not that says much. 
  • Options
    Since January we've sold/released 14 first-team players.

This summer we've signed 7 players. 

No surprise the 'leaks' start coming when they've got to spin a narrative to excuse away why our squad has decreased by 7 first-team players. 
    OUT: Macgillivray, Stockley, JFC, O'connell, Clayden, Clare, Gilbey, Inniss, Morgan, Wollacott, Lavelle, Egbo. That's 12, who are the other 2?

IN: Hector, Isted, May, Camara, Edun, Jones, Taylor. And if Clayden is counted as a departure then we can surely count Anderson and Asiimwe to incomings. 

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

There's not really a single player in the ones gone that anyone was that sorry to lose or hadn't been slated as being total shit by half of this forum. But overall i wouldn't say the squad is considerably weaker despite the deficit in player numbers. 
    Why are you counting Anderson and Asiimwe? They were already at the club. They aren't signings. 

And the outs include Bonne and Harness. You could also count Henry going out on loan if you count loans as signings. 

The pool of players we can choose from has dropped by 7. Half haven't been replaced so even if they were no good, we've got nothing instead now. 

More notably, more experienced players have been let go and inexperienced youngsters have been told to fill their places. 
    Academy players joining the first team squad are new players for the 1st team though.

It can certainly be argued that we have too many of them in our team at the moment, but in all seasons you'd expect one or two youngsters to break through and take the place of older players.
    So let's say Anderson comes in for Gilbey. Asiimwe comes in for Clare. Do you think they cost the same amounts or is there a huge saving made that currently isn't being used? 
    Hang on a minute though - that wasn’t your original argument. Clear moving of the goalposts...

As was mentioned, quality/experience of the available players can be debated all day long but your original central point revolved around 14 out, 7 in.
  • Options

No surprise the 'leaks' start coming when they've got to spin a narrative to excuse away why our squad has decreased by 7 first-team players. 
    OUT: Macgillivray, Stockley, JFC, O'connell, Clayden, Clare, Gilbey, Inniss, Morgan, Wollacott, Lavelle, Egbo. That's 12, who are the other 2?

IN: Hector, Isted, May, Camara, Edun, Jones, Taylor. And if Clayden is counted as a departure then we can surely count Anderson and Asiimwe to incomings. 

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

There's not really a single player in the ones gone that anyone was that sorry to lose or hadn't been slated as being total shit by half of this forum. But overall i wouldn't say the squad is considerably weaker despite the deficit in player numbers. 
    Why are you counting Anderson and Asiimwe? They were already at the club. They aren't signings. 

And the outs include Bonne and Harness. You could also count Henry going out on loan if you count loans as signings. 

The pool of players we can choose from has dropped by 7. Half haven't been replaced so even if they were no good, we've got nothing instead now. 

More notably, more experienced players have been let go and inexperienced youngsters have been told to fill their places. 
    Academy players joining the first team squad are new players for the 1st team though.

It can certainly be argued that we have too many of them in our team at the moment, but in all seasons you'd expect one or two youngsters to break through and take the place of older players.
    So let's say Anderson comes in for Gilbey. Asiimwe comes in for Clare. Do you think they cost the same amounts or is there a huge saving made that currently isn't being used? 
    Hang on a minute though - that wasn’t your original argument. Clear moving of the goalposts...

As was mentioned, quality/experience of the available players can be debated all day long but your original central point revolved around 14 out, 7 in.
    The amount of players at Charlton has decreased by 7 since January. I haven't moved any goalposts.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    Lean Richardson set up Wigan with a 3-4-1-2 which I think could be a good option for us 

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
    CBT                                Edun
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Can we please do away with CBT as Wing Back, it really doesn't work!

This is the issue that Holden had, trying to fit players in to a system, rather than playing a system to the players strengths that we have available. 

Would also add that there isn’t a system that fits the players we have available. And if there is then it is probably a 3 at the back with CBT at wing back, it’s not ideal but the recruitment hasn’t been good enough for us to do much else at the moment. 

It’s essentially a choice between playing May up front on his own or CBT at wing back. The first 2 games showed that with Thomas behind him it could work so I’d go with that option. CBT is better at wing back than May is at playing on his own up front 
    I would say we have the players to play 433 or 442 or 451 
    So May up front on his own or only playing with 2 central midfielders. Great. Central midfield is the only area we are actually good with depth so not sure only playing 2 is a good idea 

I still think the 3-5-2 which solves both of those issues is better. And you wouldn’t even need to play CBT at wing back now we have Edun. So in tougher games like Oxford we wouldn’t need to do it, but it would be a good option for easier games.

The squad has been really poorly put together, not all of that is this summers fault but it really doesn’t look like there has been a plan. Holden clearly wanted to play 3-5-2. So why wasn’t a left sided centre back a priority? We’ve only signed 1 wing back and let 2 leave. We haven’t signed a partner for May. From pre-season game 1 it was clear this was how Holden wanted to play but our recruitment hasn’t helped him at all 
  • Options
    Next Manager thread turned into a what formation should we play.
    🫨
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    Lean Richardson set up Wigan with a 3-4-1-2 which I think could be a good option for us 

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

This is the issue that Holden had, trying to fit players in to a system, rather than playing a system to the players strengths that we have available. 

Would also add that there isn’t a system that fits the players we have available. And if there is then it is probably a 3 at the back with CBT at wing back, it’s not ideal but the recruitment hasn’t been good enough for us to do much else at the moment. 

It’s essentially a choice between playing May up front on his own or CBT at wing back. The first 2 games showed that with Thomas behind him it could work so I’d go with that option. CBT is better at wing back than May is at playing on his own up front 
    So May up front on his own or only playing with 2 central midfielders. Great. Central midfield is the only area we are actually good with depth so not sure only playing 2 is a good idea 

I still think the 3-5-2 which solves both of those issues is better. And you wouldn’t even need to play CBT at wing back now we have Edun. So in tougher games like Oxford we wouldn’t need to do it, but it would be a good option for easier games.

The squad has been really poorly put together, not all of that is this summers fault but it really doesn’t look like there has been a plan. Holden clearly wanted to play 3-5-2. So why wasn’t a left sided centre back a priority? We’ve only signed 1 wing back and let 2 leave. We haven’t signed a partner for May. From pre-season game 1 it was clear this was how Holden wanted to play but our recruitment hasn’t helped him at all 
    Didn't he sign one in Thomas? 

What's wrong with 2 central midfielders? Anyway, 2 of the formations I suggested would be 3 central midfielders! 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    barstool said:
    The rush to sack Holden is strange, either they have someone lined up or contractually maybe an extra compensation was about to cost them more after so many games etc. 
    They needed someone to blame in a hurry, and wanted to give the impression of a decisive, strong leadership who, how does it go?  "don't do failure".  Because they are American.  Apparently that makes a difference.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Neil Lennon out of work. In for the Hibbs job but a very good manager.
    The only person worse than Lee Johnson would be Neil Fucking Lennon!!!
    Is Neil Fucking Lennon any relation to Neil Lennon?  Amazing coincidence if not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

Isted
           Jones Hector Thomas 
              Camara Dobson 
                      Chem 
                Leaburn May

Didn't he sign one in Thomas? 

What's wrong with 2 central midfielders? Anyway, 2 of the formations I suggested would be 3 central midfielders! 
    We need more than one. I think it’s clear he signed Thomas to be back up, otherwise he’d have started every game this season.

Nothing wrong with 2 central midfielders but there is a good reason 4-4-2 is not used by many good sides anymore. It’s also our strength when we have Dobson Camara and Fraser fit we’ve got one of the best midfields in the league and there’s 3 of them. 

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 are definitely options, but would not get the best out of May. He scored 20+ goals for 2 seasons in a row playing in a front 2, it seems silly to sign him and then play him on his own up front and then act surprised when he doesn’t repeat it. 

For me a front 2 is crucial and then we should work back from there, so either 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 would be my preferences. Our lack of full backs and good central midfield options would make me lean towards the 3-5-2 
  • Options
    And here comes the FFP line, like clockwork. 

Truth is, these guys think they can do it on the cheap and reduce losses because they're 'smart', we've heard it all before.

It will fail and we can see it happening only a month in. 
    If any of them were that smart, they'd stop wasting/spending so much paying off managers
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Next Manager thread turned into a what formation should we play.
    🫨
    Is that not an important part of who the next manager should be? We need one that fits the squad we’ve got. Th best of the options suggested so far Leam Richardson, Darren Moore, Lee Bowyer etc have all favoured 3 at the back systems in the past 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I believe there is mileage in Nathan Jones and particularly in Appleton.

Johnson didn’t work out at Sunderland and I’m pretty positive he’s not on Methven’s Christmas card list 

Wilder - too dour and not been a roaring success for a little while. I believe there is also history with the smt from Oxford days
    Appleton has always been trusted by the big teams to work with their best young players on loan. So of course we will hire him after the transfer window closes! 
  • Options

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

The amount of players at Charlton has decreased by 7 since January. I haven't moved any goalposts.
    The following players made at least one league start last season:
    Dobson, Rak-Sakyi, Fraser, Clare, Payne, Inniss, Morgan, Leaburn, Sessegnon, Blackett-Taylor, Maynard-Brewer, Stockley, T. Campbell, Kirk, O’Connell, Hector, Wollacott, Bonne, Thomas, Egbo, Ness, Lavelle, Aneke, Kanu, McGrandles, Kilkenny, Clayden, Jaiyesimi, Mitchell, Kane, Penney, Chin, MacGillivray

Players that have made at least one league start (or signings that are expected to do so, Campbell basically) that didn’t last season:
    Jones, May, Edun, Asiimwe, Anderson, Camara, Taylor, Isted, Elerewe, C. Campbell.

So I make it 16 of 33 players that actually contributed in the league last season who are no longer at the club.

In their place so far we have 10 new players that have made first team league starts that didn’t last season. and the season is only five games old.

We’re not that far behind. And I certainly wouldn’t want us signing another 7 players without more outgoings.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    What is this insistence that Bowyer is one of the best options? Are we like an abused spouse compulsively going back for more? 
    You must have forgotten about his initial impact when he got us into the play offs against the odds when we were destined for a mid table finish. That's the sort of impact we need again for which Bowyer has a proven track record.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So it's 12 out and 9 in. 

The following players made at least one league start last season:
    Dobson, Rak-Sakyi, Fraser, Clare, Payne, Inniss, Morgan, Leaburn, Sessegnon, Blackett-Taylor, Maynard-Brewer, Stockley, T. Campbell, Kirk, O’Connell, Hector, Wollacott, Bonne, Thomas, Egbo, Ness, Lavelle, Aneke, Kanu, McGrandles, Kilkenny, Clayden, Jaiyesimi, Mitchell, Kane, Penney, Chin, MacGillivray

Players that have made at least one league start (or signings that are expected to do so, Campbell basically) that didn’t last season:
    Jones, May, Edun, Asiimwe, Anderson, Camara, Taylor, Isted, Elerewe, C. Campbell.

So I make it 16 of 33 players that actually contributed in the league last season who are no longer at the club.

In their place so far we have 10 new players that have made first team league starts that didn’t last season. and the season is only five games old.

We’re not that far behind. And I certainly wouldn’t want us signing another 7 players without more outgoings.
    Regardless, this thread is meant to be about potential new managers and it’s being turned into a moan about Methven and the owners being cheap again. Like every other thread it seems.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Johnson didn’t work out at Sunderland and I’m pretty positive he’s not on Methven’s Christmas card list 

Wilder - too dour and not been a roaring success for a little while. I believe there is also history with the smt from Oxford days

Interesting input. 

Can anyone remember what Appleton was like as a manager, we've memed him into oblivion that I genuinely have no idea what he is anymore.
    Shocking, my in laws are all Blackpool season ticket holders and the football was awful, he was a major reason they went down last season. 

• Options
    Nathan Jones or Darren Moore would be good appointments but I can't see it happening tbh
  • Options
    We're going to need a snub list 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Interesting input. 

Can anyone remember what Appleton was like as a manager, we've memed him into oblivion that I genuinely have no idea what he is anymore.
    His experience that is relevant:

- Oxford: took over in 2014 as a League 2 club, got them promoted in his second season and they finished 8th in League 1 in his third and final season there.

- Lincoln: took over recently promoted club after they got promoted under Cowley. Led them to 16th, 5th and 17th in his three seasons.

- Blackpool: appointed to the Championship club after their promotion when Critchley left, sacked seven months in with Blackpool in 23rd.

Outside of that, various assistant and coaching gigs at Leicester, West Brom.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Interesting input. 

Plays attractive football but doesn’t get results. 

As I said further up the thread he’s good at getting good PL loans, as due to the football he plays the Prem teams trust him to coach their youngsters. We’ve got a young squad so that would be a positive, but one look at his win rate and only having 1 promotion (Oxford 2016 2nd in League 2) having managed in the EFL for quite a while I would say it would be very underwhelming 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!