Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Sometimes you have to get a job, even if it is shit.

That's our talent pool.
    If any of the applicants came out with that answer when asked why they want the job, I hope they were asked how soon they could start.  ;)
  • Its not the players that is the problem
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Not sure who the manager is that Airman is referring to but let's say it's either Bonner or Brady.

Brady has been in charge for 2.5 years
    Bonner for not far off 4 years.

Both are well valued and in very stable jobs. You'd think that even if their clubs were in and around relegation this season their jobs would still be safe. Both clubs however are currently above us.

Unless we were offering silly wages (which i doubt we are), why would either want to leave their current clubs? Both likely looked at our recent churn of managers and thought fuck that.
    I think they’d jump at the chance. Realistically we will offer far more money than Northampton and Cambridge. We have much better players. Plus if they do become another sacking they get a nice pay off and will easily be able to get a job back at the level they were previously managing at. We are a free hit 
    Clearly not.
    Well we don’t know do we? If we had tried to appoint Bonner or Brady I think they’d join. They might be above us at the moment but I’d bet good money we finish well above both in May. All we know is Brady was on the shortlist not whether we actually approached/tried to interview him, and Bonner hasn’t been mentioned yet 
    You're right we don't know for sure. My assumption that it was either Bonner or Brady was based on Airman's post that a manager in our league at a smaller club had turned us down despite being given permission to talk to us.
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Not sure who the manager is that Airman is referring to but let's say it's either Bonner or Brady.

Both are well valued and in very stable jobs. You'd think that even if their clubs were in and around relegation this season their jobs would still be safe. Both clubs however are currently above us.

Unless we were offering silly wages (which i doubt we are), why would either want to leave their current clubs? Both likely looked at our recent churn of managers and thought fuck that.
    I think they’d jump at the chance. Realistically we will offer far more money than Northampton and Cambridge. We have much better players. Plus if they do become another sacking they get a nice pay off and will easily be able to get a job back at the level they were previously managing at. We are a free hit 
    Clearly not.
    Well we don’t know do we? If we had tried to appoint Bonner or Brady I think they’d join. They might be above us at the moment but I’d bet good money we finish well above both in May. All we know is Brady was on the shortlist not whether we actually approached/tried to interview him, and Bonner hasn’t been mentioned yet 
    You're right we don't know for sure. My assumption that it was either Bonner or Brady was based on Airman's post that a manager in our league at a smaller club had turned us down despite being given permission to talk to us.
    Probably approached Scott Brown before kick off last Saturday  ;)
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Clearly not.

Brady feels the most likely to have turned it down. Bonner I haven't seen mentioned outside this thread really whereas Brady was mentioned by Rich. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:
    Our current squad is one of the best in League One on a player by player basis, especially when Camara and Fraser are fit. I don't see why a manager wouldn't want to work with these players? 

It isn't though. Since our relegation back here in 16/17 and now in our latest stint, we haven't had a single player make team of the year/season in league 1. Now you could argue that's cause we have only been promoted once, but even in Bowyers team not one player made it, of course you could argue that was harsh on the likes of Cullen, Bauer and Taylor but that's what happened.

Supposedly every season we have one of the strongest squads but none of our players are rarely ever mentioned by neutral fans and we have bad season after bad season. It's a false perception we have one of the best squads. 

Certainly not one of the worst and a team capable of play offs, but no way one of the best. 

I understand why you are miffed people don't want to manage us though as it's hardly a bad team and could have potential. My guess is there are money issues and a lack of guarantees 
    Who has a better squad than we do? Would say Bolton, Portsmouth, Oxford, Derby and Peterborough are probably the only contenders and I’d say our squad is at least on par with some of those. 
    And of course Crawley. Just as well they're in League Two.
  • Des Buckingham is a winning coach in India and is totally untested in English club football  as a number 1 so even if another club came in for him from EFL would he leave a well paid Job in India. Spent time in NZ and Aussie coaching at various levels.

Does having good players in the Indian leave dovetail to having a problematic squad in League 1? We will never know now.

The rise of the British Coaches who will travel far and wide for football and life experiences is really large now.

Ben Garner did a spell as an assistant to Steve Coppel in the Indian super league at ATK.

Michael Beale (one of our own) spent near on 20 years coaching U7's to coaching in Brazil. Famous for Liverpool and Aston Villa coaching roles with great praise.

Left QPR for Rangers so would've definitely done the same if he had even a modicum of success at Cafc if the sliding door world had occured.

Thomas Sandgaard comments that we are more ambitious than Michael Beale was just another weird comment in his long list of weird comments.
  • seth plum said:
    I think we have good players but a crap team.
    I think that's been the case for 3 years.  

Every player we sign gets worse.  The only exception to that has probably been Dobson.
  • Chunes said:
    Mate at Sparrows Lane has just messaged me to say a new training schedule has gone up today courtesy of the Cowley's:

Monday - Football
    Tuesday - Cross Country
    Wednesday - Rounders

The Dowies want their training schedule back
  • Chunes said:
    Mate at Sparrows Lane has just messaged me to say a new training schedule has gone up today courtesy of the Cowley's:

Monday - Football
    Tuesday - Cross Country
    Wednesday - Rounders

What do they do when they forget their kit 🫣
  • Our squad is nowhere near one of the best in the league and hasn't been for 3 seasons. Hence no one wants to buy any of them from the division above, apart from loanees returning to their club 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    I think that's been the case for 3 years.  

Every player we sign gets worse.  The only exception to that has probably been Dobson.
    Blacket-Taylor?
  • supaclive said:
    Sadly we're currently in a position where

The squad isn't good enough
    The new owners got rid of their own man less than a month into the season
    We have some promising youngsters
    Defensively we are terrible
    We are out of two cup competitions
    Andy Scott has say over who you can and can't sign
    We appear to not have significant budget to overhaul a mid table league one squad 

That's not attractive on paper 

Correction the manager / Coach still has major say in recruitment working with Andy Scott …. And we do have sufficient funds but not wasting it on over priced league one and two players .. we will look again in Jan 
    Your constant defence of the new regime got me thinking as to whether you've ever had a bad word to say about anything to do with the club.

So i checked the thread when Karel Fraeye was appointed. Here's a comment from you under one of your previous usernames about him:

"People are saying about the players well they know him they spoke very highly of him and is training methods before so this not a problem"

My god.
    Yes, he didn’t rate Powell as a manager for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Appleton didn’t think Jack Payne was good enough for League One when he arrived at Lincoln. Good judge of talent or poorly handled situation?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Monday - Football
    Tuesday - Cross Country
    Wednesday - Rounders

What do they do when they forget their kit 🫣
    Have to do in their vest & pants
  • Appleton didn’t think Jack Payne was good enough for League One when he arrived at Lincoln. Good judge of talent or poorly handled situation?
    It's funny how Lincoln signed him just before Appleton got the gig and Oxford signed him as soon as Appleton left.

I don't think you can comment on how the situation was handled from that clip.  Player was dropped, didn't like it.
  • edited September 2023
    seth plum said:

Mr Plum that sounds about right.
    Some good players as opposed to the whole squad.
    Worthy of a Tony Blair soundbite.
    Education, education, education for not only our Under 21's but the whole team of individuals who just don't play as a team over the 112 minutes of a match in 2023.
    They do need a bright, lucid thinker who can educate a plan, Strategy and give confidence to the players.

I want a manager/Head coach who can think on their feet and utilise the 16 players who may be needed to out wit the opposition head coach. Use the three sub windows wisely and FFS keep the last window and 5th player until the added time as keeping a player on when he is injured, Fraser, just makes the injury worse.
  • Its not the players that is the problem
    Yes it is...
  • Chunes said:

Monday - Football
    Tuesday - Cross Country
    Wednesday - Rounders

The Dowies want their training schedule back

The last or one of the last training sessions that Iain Dowie took had 30 seconds shown on ITV London news. Darren Bent was superb, he did a cover drive that went all the way to the boundary.
    Does anyone remember this ?
  • seth plum said:
    This 100%. But a good manager, with a bit of time, would be able to create a good team out of them. Our problem is we probably won’t get a good manager or give them time to do it 
  • So who gets signed is the managers fault is it?
  • Chunes said:

Monday - Football
    Tuesday - Cross Country
    Wednesday - Rounders

Thursday - Country Dancing
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!