Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• fenaddick said:
    Either Cowley or Appleton will mark the completion of our transition from one of the bigger League One clubs to an established mid table one. That's why they are depressing appointments.

Both of them would be metaphorically holding a mirror to our face of how far we've sunk.
    and Dean Holden and Ben Garner didn’t? Don’t get me wrong I would prefer someone more exciting but I’d say Holden and Garner also showed that we weren’t fishing in the same pond as those at the top of L1
    Or Adkins and Jackson really, to be honest.

And who are the big fish managers in L1 anyway? Most of the names are only regarded because of the job they're doing at the moment, not because of their history.
    considered throwing Adkin’s in there but he at least had had some success in higher divisions even if it was a while ago. Jackson is a different kettle of fish as he’s a club legend and was never meant to get the job, just forced TS’s hand 
  • fenaddick said:
    Either Cowley or Appleton will mark the completion of our transition from one of the bigger League One clubs to an established mid table one. That's why they are depressing appointments.

Both of them would be metaphorically holding a mirror to our face of how far we've sunk.
    and Dean Holden and Ben Garner didn’t? Don’t get me wrong I would prefer someone more exciting but I’d say Holden and Garner also showed that we weren’t fishing in the same pond as those at the top of L1
    What top managers are going to the top league one teams ? Looks to be the same sort of ones linked with us. 
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

And who are the big fish managers in L1 anyway? Most of the names are only regarded because of the job they're doing at the moment, not because of their history.
    considered throwing Adkin’s in there but he at least had had some success in higher divisions even if it was a while ago. Jackson is a different kettle of fish as he’s a club legend and was never meant to get the job, just forced TS’s hand 
    Jacko doing pretty well since mind. 
  • Yann897 said:
    fenaddick said:

What top managers are going to the top league one teams ? Looks to be the same sort of ones linked with us. 
    Paul Warne left a Championship club to go to Derby, Kieron McKenna came straight out of Man U to coach Ipswich, Darren Ferguson is proven at getting Pboro promoted. Manning at Oxford is very well thought of and has a good coaching background.  I know we approached Ferguson but that was purely because it was obvious it would be leaked. All those managers have been sold a project and were exciting appointments 
  • fenaddick said:
    Not that the markets are a hugely reliable indicator but they’re accepting bids on Appleton again, more than anything probably just shows they know f all! 
    Now at 1/3.

Richard J's info on page 97 was enough to persuade me it's Appleton.
  • Jac_52 said:
    On the positive side I'm convinced Appleton or Cowley will be a big upgrade on Holden. Whether they will be good enough to get us in the top 6 from a standing start remains to be seen but I'll give them a chance.
    That I can agree with. I am expecting us to look a lot better defensively if either of those take over and that's one of our biggest issues, scoring isn't really
  • edited September 2023
    The delay is caused as they offered it to their first choice, who took their time, but declined the offer.  They moved on to the next one, who did the same.  They are currently waiting for 569th choice, Mike Bassett to get back to them (apparently he was a decent International Manager and has a star player named 'Tonka' ready to sign as a free agent)
  • The delay is caused as they offered it to their first choice, who took their time, but declined the offer.  They moved on to the next one, who did the same.  They are currently waiting for 569th choice, Mike Bassett to get back to them (apparently he was a decent International Manager and has a star player named 'Tonka' ready to sign as a free agent)
    Not forgetting Benson and Hedges.
  • I would have expected far more Methven-sponsored posts about how Appleton is the true Messiah by now, if the appointment was imminent. 

Has he run out of budget for his CL stooges too?
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

Jacko doing pretty well since mind. 
    Won 2 out of 6 league games
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Yann897 said:
    fenaddick said:

Paul Warne left a Championship club to go to Derby, Kieron McKenna came straight out of Man U to coach Ipswich, Darren Ferguson is proven at getting Pboro promoted. Manning at Oxford is very well thought of and has a good coaching background.  I know we approached Ferguson but that was purely because it was obvious it would be leaked. All those managers have been sold a project and were exciting appointments 
    Paul Warne I’ll give you but if we hired a prem coach with no experience fans on here would be fuming. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:

I would actually say that Cowley and Appleton have both achieved more than Holden and Garner have.
    Yeah I agree, at least they’ve both managed a decent number of games in L1
  • edited September 2023
    fenaddick said:
    Yann897 said:
    fenaddick said:

"Manning was sacked on 11 December 2022 having accumulated just fifteen points from twenty matches, six points from safety and only off the bottom on goal difference..."

Paul Warne wanted to be a PE teacher.

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/january/feature-paul-warne---the-accidental-manager/

Ferguson left Peterborough in November 2009, by mutual consent, with the club bottom of the table

After 49 games in charge, winning 13, drawing 12 and losing 24 games, he was sacked as manager on 29 December 2010, with Preston North End bottom of the Championship

On 21 February 2015, following a 3–0 away defeat at Milton Keynes Dons which left the team 15th in the League One table, Ferguson left Peterborough United by mutual consent

On 20 February 2022, the following day from a last-minute 1–0 defeat to relegation rivals Derby County that left Peterborough in 23rd position, five points from safety] it was announced that Ferguson had resigned during a phone call to joint-owner Darragh MacAnthony.

I don't find those options any more exciting tbh.
  • I will be completely underwhelmed if its Appleton or The Cowleys, they are hardly awe-inspiring, and I'm not sure they will be anything but 'yes' men.
    Why change without a plan B? I just don't get it!
    Itchy trigger finger after hitting the panic button first.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    Yann897 said:
    fenaddick said:

"Manning was sacked on 11 December 2022 having accumulated just fifteen points from twenty matches, six points from safety and only off the bottom on goal difference..."

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/january/feature-paul-warne---the-accidental-manager/

Ferguson left Peterborough in November 2009, by mutual consent, with the club bottom of the table

After 49 games in charge, winning 13, drawing 12 and losing 24 games, he was sacked as manager on 29 December 2010, with Preston North End bottom of the Championship

On 21 February 2015, following a 3–0 away defeat at Milton Keynes Dons which left the team 15th in the League One table, Ferguson left Peterborough United by mutual consent

On 20 February 2022, the following day from a last-minute 1–0 defeat to relegation rivals Derby County that left Peterborough in 23rd position, five points from safety] it was announced that Ferguson had resigned during a phone call to joint-owner Darragh MacAnthony.

Easy to pick out random negative things about people. 

Manning was highly thought of by City Football Group and took one of their teams from bottom of the league to 3rd. He then took MK Dons to 3rd in the league and only lost in the playoffs to Wycombe who went up. It did then go wrong but all managers have bad spells.

Not sure why wanting to be a PE teacher makes you a bad manager? Warne overachieved with Rotherham and has 3 L1 promotions on his CV. 

Darren Ferguson would be uninspiring for us but the  Peterborough fans I work with were happy with his appointment due to his previous success. I guess he’s their version of Powell/Bowyer
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    Yann897 said:
    fenaddick said:

Manning was highly thought of by City Football Group and took one of their teams from bottom of the league to 3rd. He then took MK Dons to 3rd in the league and only lost in the playoffs to Wycombe who went up. It did then go wrong but all managers have bad spells.

Not sure why wanting to be a PE teacher makes you a bad manager? Warne overachieved with Rotherham and has 3 L1 promotions on his CV. 

Darren Ferguson would be uninspiring for us but the  Peterborough fans I work with were happy with his appointment due to his previous success. I guess he’s their version of Powell/Bowyer
    Tongue in cheek because the Cowleys get bashed for being PE teachers, at least they achieved it 😉

No one ever mentions Appleton or Cowley's successes either.  Easy to pick random negatives, isn't it? 
  • What would the response be if our new manager was a steam train?
  • Uboat said:
    What would the response be if our new manager was a steam train?
    The whole train or just the locomotive?
  • Hard to imagine who would realistically be available to "manage" this bunch of L2 hoofers, undercooked youngsters and mindless punts in the loan market!  For a start we have the attrition rate of a WW1 spring offensive, and a collective team lacking in application so apparent, most of our support has up an joined Apathy International in sympathy.

Welcome to the club "Next one"
  • He comes from Portugal
    He fecking hates Millwall 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    Yann897 said:
    fenaddick said:

Tongue in cheek because the Cowleys get bashed for being PE teachers, at least they achieved it 😉

No one ever mentions Appleton or Cowley's successes either.  Easy to pick random negatives, isn't it? 
    I think you’re right re Appleton and Cowley’s successes to be fair, I guess the mitigating factor there is that time has passed and they’ve had underwhelming performances since. If we can get a Lincoln/Oxford version of them then we might be ok
  • Uboat said:
     Something I could get behind
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Uboat said:
    The whole train or just the locomotive?
    Just the locomotive. Let’s not be silly here. 
  • MrBurns said:
    Who do we want for our next next next manager? 
    Darren Purse. Charlton Life inception.
  • Appleton would be the first managerial appointment I am totally under-whelmed & even negative about since the day Riga packed his bags...I started out with some mild enthusiasm about the likes of Slade & Robinson, but Appleton it's a big no for me,,,
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!