Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• supaclive said:
    PWADDICK said:
    I think this appointment is much more about who is willing to do it than who the club wants. 
    Regardless of the shenanigans that have gone on recently, we will still be an attractive proposition to many managers 

Many out of work managers who can't get a job

There is, but it’s not going to be a good look if/when the club employs an out of work manager when Methven’s PR machine has been leaking that they’re targeting in-work candidates. 
    Appleton is apparently getting the job.......
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    i haven't checked if these stats are legit but not great are they?
    The Oxford and Lincoln ones are the relevant ones  Pompey we're in admin, Blackpool were imploding under the Oystens, the chicken people were going through a "spell" at Blackburn.

It's not great even then though.
    Good thing is we have the stability he had while managing Oxford 🙃
  • Gribbo said:
    I think this appointment is much more about who is willing to do it than who the club wants. 
    How many have actually turned it down then, apart from Powell who was only offered an interim position ?
    At least one current L1 manager at a much smaller club, to my knowledge, despite their club giving permission for him to talk if he wanted.

“Turned it down” might be pushing it mind as it isn’t even getting that far.
    Jon Brady. That’s bad if we can’t poach managers from clubs the size of Northampton.
  • Gribbo said:
    How many have actually turned it down then, apart from Powell who was only offered an interim position ?
    At least one current L1 manager at a much smaller club, to my knowledge, despite their club giving permission for him to talk if he wanted.

Bonner I'd guess.
  • supaclive said:
    Sadly we're currently in a position where

The squad isn't good enough
    The new owners got rid of their own man less than a month into the season
    We have some promising youngsters
    Defensively we are terrible
    We are out of two cup competitions
    Andy Scott has say over who you can and can't sign
    We appear to not have significant budget to overhaul a mid table league one squad 

That's not attractive on paper 

Correction the manager / Coach still has major say in recruitment working with Andy Scott …. And we do have sufficient funds but not wasting it on over priced league one and two players .. we will look again in Jan 
     When they'll be over priced again.
  • edited September 2023
    Some of the outsiders on betvictor are very fanciful and a couple are quite interesting (e.g Chris Hughton for me). Can't see past Appleton now though so probably academic.

Karl Robinson33/1
    Kevin Phillips33/1
    Steve Cotterill33/1
    Graham Alexander33/1
    Shaun Derry33/1
    Clint Hill33/1
    Brian Barry Murphy33/1
    Kenny Jackett33/1
    Sol Campbell33/1
    Paul Tisdale33/1
    Paul Lambert33/1
    Pete Wild33/1
    Chris Hughton33/1
    John McGreal33/1
    Nigel Adkins33/1
    Lee Catermole33/1
    Jonathan Woodgate33/1
    Gary McSheffrey33/1
    Robbie Fowler33/1
    Frank Lampard33/1
    Chris Wilder33/1
    Steve Evans33/1
    Darrell Clarke33/1
    David Artell33/1
    Luke Williams33/1
    Neil Lennon33/1
    Ritchie Wellens33/1
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:
    Anyone BUT Bowyer.

I really want us to have a playing style identity. I actually enjoyed the playing style under Garner but I guess I'm on my own in that respect.
    So you don't want a manager who got us promoted, but enjoyed a manager who we were going down the league and achieved very little in his time at the club?
    Think you've misunderstood the point there.
  • Frank Lampard's Charlton !!!

• Nice to speculate,  but at the end of the day the likes of me ain't gonna have say on who gets the job. Just hurry up CAFC !
  • Not sure who the manager is that Airman is referring to but let's say it's either Bonner or Brady.

Brady has been in charge for 2.5 years
    Bonner for not far off 4 years.

Both are well valued and in very stable jobs. You'd think that even if their clubs were in and around relegation this season their jobs would still be safe. Both clubs however are currently above us.

Unless we were offering silly wages (which i doubt we are), why would either want to leave their current clubs? Both likely looked at our recent churn of managers and thought fuck that.

That's a fantastic point. Same with Challinor too, why leave a stable club where they are well respected and have a safe job for a job where they could be out the door again by February. 
  • At the end of the day we might be a basket case with the amount of managers we get through but with new ownership comes a fresh start... just a shame they really pissed that up the wall by sacking their manager after 5 games
  • supaclive said:

We appear to not have significant budget to overhaul a mid table league one squad 

Correction the manager / Coach still has major say in recruitment working with Andy Scott …. And we do have sufficient funds but not wasting it on over priced league one and two players .. we will look again in Jan 
    I have to chuckle at your posts, they are always very amusing.
  • supaclive said:

We’re still in the pizza cup!

+ Appleton has got to Wembley twice in that competition.

Wembley day out is still possible if we beat Sutton & villa’s kids.
    I don't want him on the Pizza Cup basis 
    fuck off out of it 

Plus he's gonna be the ugliest whatsapp pic I've ever had up ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• There's loads of reasons why people won't come here. We're notorious for churning through managers, as a fan base we have no patience or trust any more, you can't build the squad in your image till Jan, if ever due to the SMT structure and we've had a poor start too.

London is bloody expensive to move to, especially if bringing your whole family along, we're in the ULEZ, so you have to pay extra for your flashy motor, and if you're a rampant Northerner the idea of London scares you.
  • Anyone BUT Bowyer.

I really want us to have a playing style identity. I actually enjoyed the playing style under Garner but I guess I'm on my own in that respect.
    Garner had a playing style?
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Regardless of the shenanigans that have gone on recently, we will still be an attractive proposition to many managers 

Many out of work managers who can't get a job

There is, but it’s not going to be a good look if/when the club employs an out of work manager when Methven’s PR machine has been leaking that they’re targeting in-work candidates. 
    Appleton is apparently getting the job.......
    See you on this thread again before May then.
  • Anyone BUT Bowyer.

Garner had a playing style?
    Yes , the emperor's new clothes 
  • Gribbo said:

Jon Brady. That’s bad if we can’t poach managers from clubs the size of Northampton.
    Why would you come here? It’s a career killer. 
  • Some of the outsiders on betvictor are very fanciful and a couple are quite interesting (e.g Chris Hughton for me). Can't see past Appleton now though so probably academic.

Karl Robinson33/1
    Kevin Phillips33/1
    Steve Cotterill33/1
    Graham Alexander33/1
    Shaun Derry33/1
    Clint Hill33/1
    Brian Barry Murphy33/1
    Kenny Jackett33/1
    Sol Campbell33/1
    Paul Tisdale33/1
    Paul Lambert33/1
    Pete Wild33/1
    Chris Hughton33/1
    John McGreal33/1
    Nigel Adkins33/1
    Lee Catermole33/1
    Jonathan Woodgate33/1
    Gary McSheffrey33/1
    Robbie Fowler33/1
    Frank Lampard33/1
    Chris Wilder33/1
    Steve Evans33/1
    Darrell Clarke33/1
    David Artell33/1
    Luke Williams33/1
    Neil Lennon33/1
    Ritchie Wellens33/1

Thanks for that list I'm going to put £5 on the 33/1 candidate 🙄
  • It was always going to be difficult to attract anyone better I think. A manager's reputation can go downhill fast, and anyone sensible will look at our current squad and not want to put their name to the results it gets
  • Gribbo said:

Why would you come here? It’s a career killer. 
    Unfortunately I agree. Even up to a couple of years ago I thought us a very attractive proposition for guys like Brady and Bonner but now we are a poisoned chalice. Come to us and likely out of a job within 18 months if you fail, and the odds are stacked against you succeeding, or stay in situ, carrying on doing a good job and another opportunity to move onwards and upwards will soon come along. The out of work like Appleton, Cowley etc are the pond we are fishing in.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!