Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Not sure who the manager is that Airman is referring to but let's say it's either Bonner or Brady.

Brady has been in charge for 2.5 years
    Bonner for not far off 4 years.

Both are well valued and in very stable jobs. You'd think that even if their clubs were in and around relegation this season their jobs would still be safe. Both clubs however are currently above us.

Unless we were offering silly wages (which i doubt we are), why would either want to leave their current clubs? Both likely looked at our recent churn of managers and thought fuck that.
    I think they’d jump at the chance. Realistically we will offer far more money than Northampton and Cambridge. We have much better players. Plus if they do become another sacking they get a nice pay off and will easily be able to get a job back at the level they were previously managing at. We are a free hit 
  • Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Our current squad is one of the best in League One on a player by player basis, especially when Camara and Fraser are fit. I don't see why a manager wouldn't want to work with these players? 
    Our perspective on other L1 squads is not good enough to make that assessment... We said the same when we had Gilbey and Morgan in the middle and Lavelle at the back. The proof is in the results. 
    Lots of other league 1 fans would say the same about our squad, in fact lots were before the season started. Our 11 when everyone is fit is very strong and probably has one of the best midfields and attacks in the league. The defence and GK lets it down but there aren’t many perfect squads at this level 
  • NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Our current squad is one of the best in League One on a player by player basis, especially when Camara and Fraser are fit. I don't see why a manager wouldn't want to work with these players? 
    Our perspective on other L1 squads is not good enough to make that assessment... We said the same when we had Gilbey and Morgan in the middle and Lavelle at the back. The proof is in the results. 
    Lots of other league 1 fans would say the same about our squad, in fact lots were before the season started. Our 11 when everyone is fit is very strong and probably has one of the best midfields and attacks in the league. The defence and GK lets it down but there aren’t many perfect squads at this level 
    I feel like most people are just going on what two blokes on a podcast said. 
  • Our job would have been a LOT more attractive if available in May, and the new manager had the chance to mould the squad and do a pre season with them.
    Unless they are shit then they’ll have a chance next summer. Realistically if they get us up to 8th-10th they will get another go like Holden did 
  • Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    I feel like most people are just going on what two blokes on a podcast said. 
    Bolton are the best team in the league for me. But player for player our midfield and attack is better than theirs. Difference is they’ve had a manager given time to implement a style of play and build something, so as a unit they are better
  • NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Even the GKs and defence:

GKs 
    - Australian international squad member 
    - Starting keeper for a playoff team last season

Defence
    - Recent Premiership player (okay he was bad there, but Championship colossus and Jamaica international) 
    - League One club POTS
    - Absolutely decent both-footed backup 
    - Couple of promising kid CBs who've admittedly both been shabby this season
    - Ireland's great hope 
    - A Blackburn player
    - Guy who drove MK Dons to 3rd a couple of years ago and got injured and they went down 
    - Extremely promising young right back 

There's a lot to work with 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    Not sure who the manager is that Airman is referring to but let's say it's either Bonner or Brady.

Both are well valued and in very stable jobs. You'd think that even if their clubs were in and around relegation this season their jobs would still be safe. Both clubs however are currently above us.

Unless we were offering silly wages (which i doubt we are), why would either want to leave their current clubs? Both likely looked at our recent churn of managers and thought fuck that.
    I think they’d jump at the chance. Realistically we will offer far more money than Northampton and Cambridge. We have much better players. Plus if they do become another sacking they get a nice pay off and will easily be able to get a job back at the level they were previously managing at. We are a free hit 
    Clearly not.
  • Can't wait until Martin Vilas has a rant about all these terrible puns
    I really can't believe that you have given a posters real name away 😂
  • NabySarr said:

Clearly not.
    Well we don’t know do we? If we had tried to appoint Bonner or Brady I think they’d join. They might be above us at the moment but I’d bet good money we finish well above both in May. All we know is Brady was on the shortlist not whether we actually approached/tried to interview him, and Bonner hasn’t been mentioned yet 
  • Leuth said:

It isn't though. Since our relegation back here in 16/17 and now in our latest stint, we haven't had a single player make team of the year/season in league 1. Now you could argue that's cause we have only been promoted once, but even in Bowyers team not one player made it, of course you could argue that was harsh on the likes of Cullen, Bauer and Taylor but that's what happened.

Supposedly every season we have one of the strongest squads but none of our players are rarely ever mentioned by neutral fans and we have bad season after bad season. It's a false perception we have one of the best squads. 

Certainly not one of the worst and a team capable of play offs, but no way one of the best. 

I understand why you are miffed people don't want to manage us though as it's hardly a bad team and could have potential. My guess is there are money issues and a lack of guarantees 
    Who has a better squad than we do? Would say Bolton, Portsmouth, Oxford, Derby and Peterborough are probably the only contenders and I’d say our squad is at least on par with some of those. Difference is good managers given time and clear styles of play which we have lacked either one or both of since being down here 
  • Gribbo said:
    I think this appointment is much more about who is willing to do it than who the club wants. 
    How many have actually turned it down then, apart from Powell who was only offered an interim position ?
    At least one current L1 manager at a much smaller club, to my knowledge, despite their club giving permission for him to talk if he wanted.

“Turned it down” might be pushing it mind as it isn’t even getting that far.
    Jon Brady. That’s bad if we can’t poach managers from clubs the size of Northampton.
    Depends really on why, football or non football reasons.

the manager might not want to move family etc.
  • For once I think the squad is relatively strong. At this point too many players are injured or getting up to speed but generally this is a top six squad. We seem to have lacked the leadership and organisation that an experienced manager can bring. If we get that I think we’ll climb the table. To what point is the question given our dreadful start. If it’s Appleton I can see him bringing that but not much more. Can’t see he’s one for a long term stay. That’s ok. As long as he can steer us out of this shitty division I’ll take that. 
  • DRAddick said:
    Shit fuck bollox.

Thought something might be brewing seeing as there were 65 new posts.

But no. More fucking stupid puns. Not fish this time but something to do with curry.

Juvenile. 

My takeaway from this post is that you're naan too pleased? 
    What happened to that chap Arty?
  • NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

It isn't though. Since our relegation back here in 16/17 and now in our latest stint, we haven't had a single player make team of the year/season in league 1. Now you could argue that's cause we have only been promoted once, but even in Bowyers team not one player made it, of course you could argue that was harsh on the likes of Cullen, Bauer and Taylor but that's what happened.

Supposedly every season we have one of the strongest squads but none of our players are rarely ever mentioned by neutral fans and we have bad season after bad season. It's a false perception we have one of the best squads. 

Certainly not one of the worst and a team capable of play offs, but no way one of the best. 

I understand why you are miffed people don't want to manage us though as it's hardly a bad team and could have potential. My guess is there are money issues and a lack of guarantees 
    Who has a better squad than we do? Would say Bolton, Portsmouth, Oxford, Derby and Peterborough are probably the only contenders and I’d say our squad is at least on par with some of those. Difference is good managers given time and clear styles of play which we have lacked either one or both of since being down here 
    The 15 teams above us of course..

Jokes aside it's early doors to say but there's only about 5-7 players I really rate in this team, the rest could go and I wouldn't be bothered.

I could go down the list of teams above us and probably get 1 or 2 players that would get in our match day squad or start for us. Hardly the sign of a one of the best squads in the league.

Maybe we have one of the strongest squads in depth but that doesn't get you promoted, a genuine quality starting XI does and we don't have that, a fair few teams above us do on the other hand, or at least enough to not lose 6 out of 8 games 
  • edited September 2023
    Leuth said:
    Imagine being one of the best Computer Programmers at what you do.

You get head hunted by a Company bigger than what you've worked for, or you're out of work, see the job advertised and apply, because what's the worst that can happen.

You find out at the job interview that you'll be using Visual Basic, a language that you know you can work with and get the best out of - You then get told you may be given a completely new Programming Language, that you've never heard of, or used... and if you cant work with it... You'll be sacked... Oh and they'll be true to their word, because they admit that the staff turnover is ridiculous

That's basically what's on offer to Managers here.

The players probably are promising to work with, that's probably the one bonus

But the Manager probably wont get a say on signings (we've just seen that with deadline day), and whilst its probably not uncommon in terms of setups @ Nottingham Forest etc. is it overly common in League One? - The best setup we've had here is when Gallen / Bowyer worked together on building the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chris Wilder was sent messages to not take up the Cafc job with Roland Duchatelet still making decisions on the football side.
    Fortunately for Wilder he did some due diligence plus his dream job of Sheffield United came up and he enjoyed success at his boyhood team( for a time)

I would imagine most of the candidates have been warned off again either through spite or kindness.

Don't rule out Nobby Vinegar as he is a qualified coach in many sports including Canada's favourite sport.
    As we have been skating on thin ice for at least a decade he must surely be in contention. 

I would advise against any manager relocating within 50 miles of Sparrows lane until they have won back to back promotion as its not fair on the kids and the partner.
  • Our stature as a Club has diminished dramatically since our last relegation. Everyone in the game knows this. Even if we were to enjoy a run of good form under a new manager, we'd struggle to retain their services for long.

Of those I thought might be serious contenders this time, Appleton's joint third on my list with the Cowleys. Jones and Moore are ahead of them but less likely, as are Challinor, Brady, Bonner and Richardson, but I really don't see much between them all tbh. I'm guessing that those who haven't 'failed' anywhere already have probably built they're reputation at a single Club and it's a bit too soon to trash it by entering the house of fun, which would be madness.

• Swisdom said:
    I've just listened to a podacast interview with Des Buckingham.  It's a shame we seemingly can't speak to him because he sounds like a breath of fresh air about him.

He's got a masters degree in coaching and is also has a pilots licence.  Certainly seems like an interesting character, well organised and drilled and seems to get the right results from his players.
    The fact he's at the City Football Group tells me he has something about him and 21 years of coaching at the age of 38 could be a really interesting dynamic - young enough to keep up with the modern game but exoerienced enough to know what is a load of bollocks.
    I predict he will have a half decent career as a head coach.

Shame we can't get to him
    Kieran McKenna type Manager - Wonder if we've looked around at some of the Category One Academies, to try and entice an upcoming Neil Critchley type Manager.
  • Anyone BUT Bowyer.

I really want us to have a playing style identity. I actually enjoyed the playing style under Garner but I guess I'm on my own in that respect.
    There should be a poll of fans views on this by Andy Scott before they appoint anyone. Probably too late now.
    That would be proper marketing. Then recruit to that brief.
  • Swisdom said:
    I've just listened to a podacast interview with Des Buckingham.  It's a shame we seemingly can't speak to him because he sounds like a breath of fresh air about him.

He's got a masters degree in coaching and is also has a pilots licence.  Certainly seems like an interesting character, well organised and drilled and seems to get the right results from his players.
    The fact he's at the City Football Group tells me he has something about him and 21 years of coaching at the age of 38 could be a really interesting dynamic - young enough to keep up with the modern game but exoerienced enough to know what is a load of bollocks.
    I predict he will have a half decent career as a head coach.

Shame we can't get to him
    Kieran McKenna type Manager - Wonder if we've looked around at some of the Category One Academies, to try and entice an upcoming Neil Critchley type Manager.

This would be my preference, someone more along the lines of a McKenna. 
  • I think the squad likely isn't the issue for new manager, as others have said on paper the personnel we have should be good enough to challenge for the top 6.

The issue, more worryingly, is likely to be with the SMT structure (DoF) and recruitment process, interference, unrealistic targets and a trigger happy board.
    How does the structure compare to other L1 clubs? I can’t imagine the majority of others all give their managers complete control of signings. I don’t think this set up is as unusual as it’s being made out to be.
  • edited September 2023
    Sometimes you have to  get a job, even if it is shit.

That's our talent pool.
  • Only real playing style I think about is winning, if we can get the occasional rak Saki that would be the cherry on the cake.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!