Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steven Sessegnon joins Charlton on season-long loan

Comments

• Options
    RedRobin said:
    Guy at my work is a Fulham fan, said Steven is a good player, was looking like he was breaking into the first team but was loaned to Bristol City and never got another chance. Fast, strong on the ball and technically good. Good signing for us I think, 
    Had pretty much the same report from a Fulham fan I work with. Sounds like he has all the attributes  but hasn't quite kicked on or been given a real crack at it. Probably cause Fulham have yoyo'd and have been splashing cash on more 'glamorous' signings. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action. Bit worried that our 2 fullbacks might be a bit suspect defensively, but at least it looks like we have a clearer recruitment plan this summer. COYA
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Both are 2 footed wizards too they say *eek*
    I am very glad that our recruitment policy is biased towards players with two feet.
    I knew Martins black box would be successful
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    RedRobin said:
    Guy at my work is a Fulham fan, said Steven is a good player, was looking like he was breaking into the first team but was loaned to Bristol City and never got another chance. Fast, strong on the ball and technically good. Good signing for us I think, 
    Had pretty much the same report from a Fulham fan I work with. Sounds like he has all the attributes  but hasn't quite kicked on or been given a real crack at it. Probably cause Fulham have yoyo'd and have been splashing cash on more 'glamorous' signings. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action. Bit worried that our 2 fullbacks might be a bit suspect defensively, but at least it looks like we have a clearer recruitment plan this summer. COYA
    with 2 very attacking full backs you'd then maybe expect Dobson and Connor M (both pretty defensive minded) to maybe play together in the middle
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    RedRobin said:
    with 2 very attacking full backs you'd then maybe expect Dobson and Connor M (both pretty defensive minded) to maybe play together in the middle
    From McGrandles interview it sounded like he’ll be in a more attacking role than that.
  • Options
    Interesting that he’s been told he’s signed to be our LB. 

Not a fan of right footers at LB but James Justin showed at Luton that I can be done.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Saw him play at Left Back, for Fulham U23s v Norwich U23s at Motspur Park, a couple of seasons ago.

5-9 with a good build. Very Good performance. Produced some very good play on the ball going forward, and was instrumental in much of his side's build-up play on the left flank. He joined in the build-up through midfield very effectively with a number of forward runs into the last third, often getting behind the opposition right back position, where he produced a couple of very good low crosses, including an assist on his side's only goal. He showed very good control and passing ability off both feet, and good ability on the ball in general, with quick feet when in possession. In defensive play, he showed very good positioning and good anticipation to tidy up in behind the defensive line on a couple of occasions. Assessment - Championship/League One. 

Difficult to know now why he hasn't pushed on. Only Fulham will know that.  He looks a better signing, than gambling on 4th tier players being able to step up.
    How the fck do you remember all that detail about one player of 22-28 players in an inconsequential game that wasn’t Charlton?! Not being skeptical just amazed.
    He does scouting 
    For boys?
  • Options
    LegacyFan said:
    Scoham said:
    Continues the proud Charlton tradition  of signing the brother of a top player.
    I’d be interested in how many people can name. BWP and Alonso are all I can think of ATM
    The Sodje brothers? There wasn’t a top player so in that case we signed both.
    They both played for my local non league team when I was a ball boy back in around 2001/2/3 time. They were in the Conference at the time, Sam Sodje was the best player on the pitch most weeks and it was no surprise when he got the move to Brentford (I think). Also an absolutely lovely guy, one of the only players who spoke to us. 

Akpo was absolutely dreadful and I couldn't believe he ended up playing in the football league, let alone the Championship. 
    Margate I assume? Nicky Forster was there too and also played for us around the time of the Sodje brothers or just before.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Steve sessegnon could be an inverted wb sort of player if I’m not wrong. If he can go wide and central
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I always thought that you played inverted fullback if the oppo were playing inverted wingers. That way, when the attackers cuts inside onto their stronger foot they're moving on the inverted fullbacks stronger tackling side.

Obviously you then lose the ability to have your fullbacks overlap, get to the by-line and cross, but depends what your priorities are. Plus if you're playing with proper wingers, then they may pull the opposition fullbacks wide, leaving a channel between fullback and centre back for your inverted fullback to run into, a sort of underlapping fullback as it were.
  • Options

In Conversation | Steven Sessegnon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUkeIlO0VLg
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    A good interview, thanks for posting.

I’ve got high high hopes for this lad if we can keep him fit, all the best Sess, go smash it son!
  • Options
    Early days but looks and sounds like Sessegnon is enjoying being here.

Was pretty impressed by him yesterday as well to boot. 
  • Options
    Thought he was the best player on the pitch yesterday, looks very comfortable on the ball. Would be interested to see what he is like on the right
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    When the chips were down, I thought he was immense yesterday!
    But got lots of 6's on the player marks!
    Agree 100% with this . Just goes to show that we aren’t all watching the same game 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not that I ever give our player marks because I find it to stressful to do ha ha, but I can see why his marks might be lower as it is going to be hard to score your defenders high after a game where you ship 4 goals.
  • Options
    Not that I ever give our player marks because I find it to stressful to do ha ha, but I can see why his marks might be lower as it is going to be hard to score your defenders high after a game where you ship 4 goals.
    Yeah, if only some people would mark a player on his actual performance, rather than with their own emotions.

• Options
    He Wasn’t responsible for any of them from my seat. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Steven Sessegnon had tightness in his hamstring.

Ben Garner says that he is "praying" that it is only cramp that forced the #ffc loanee off today. #cafc https://t.co/goXECR7wyD

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) November 26, 2022
  • Options
    Would be my first signing if we could get him. 

We be interesting to see what he would be like on the right if we got a natural left back in.
    Even if we kept him on the Left, our best form this season came when we had the back four of Egbo | Inniss | O'Connell | Sessegnon... The overall issue isn't playing him there

Its having cover if he's not fit, like what we saw on Thursday - He's missed seven games this season
  • Options

We be interesting to see what he would be like on the right if we got a natural left back in.
    Even if we kept him on the Left, our best form this season came when we had the back four of Egbo | Inniss | O'Connell | Sessegnon... The overall issue isn't playing him there

Its having cover if he's not fit, like what we saw on Thursday - He's missed seven games this season
    Yep, as it's been with the defence. That back 4 you mention was starting to do reasonably well. It's the fact we had poor cover, if we had a left-back and centre-back in reserve to cover any 2 of them we'd be 6-8 places higher. 
  • Options

Oh no, not at all.

He is just so good and solid there, with Egbo out I’d love to see him on the right and a proper left back. 
  • Options
    We've got no chance of keeping him but I'm interested to see what happens. He's not a Premier League player so you'd expect a Champ club to come in for him. 
  • Options
    Gonna be out for the season, ten minutes into the game on Saturday isnt he!!