Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Oxford v Charlton | Sat 6 March 2021

Comments

• edited March 2021
    Rob said:
    People complaining about how boring we were today should get a life. 
    I think you should shut up.
  • Shame we couldn’t steal it but a draw was fair , another day and their effort goes in off the post but we’re due some luck on that front .
    Watson a must for me and I think he still has more gears .
    Amos scaring me with some of his handling .
    Millars first touch uuuurghn, hope he’s not Charltonised .
    Smith was much improved but that was from previous ponyness.

10%  play offs 
    60% 7th-12th
    30% 13th-20th
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I remember when people used Sunderland as an example of changing managers not working, there 4th now. 

Except for the two relegations, you mean.
    Since they sacked Parkinson?  That's some good going, to get relegated once mid season would be unlucky, never mind twice!

But the point your making isn't logical either.  Sacking managers ever 6 months is wrong but it's not a reason to never sack a manager. 

Straw man alert! Please show where I said to "never sack a manager."
    "I remember when people used Sunderland as an example of changing managers not working, there 4th now. 

Except for the two relegations, you mean"

Sorry I took that as you "saying sacking the mangers didn't work, look at the two relegations"?

My point being because that wasn't the solution last time, doesn't mean it isn't now. 
  • Actually feeling quite positive. Paid for the stream and the last minute I remember was the 9th and then I woke up. Needed a power nap for the UFC for later so cheers to the boys for assisting the nap with stale football.

Schwartz taking a penalty when JFC, Shinnie and Stockley all in form? Doesn't make sense to me.

Stockley has never taken a penalty I've just seen, that can't be right surely?
  • Actually feeling quite positive. Paid for the stream and the last minute I remember was the 9th and then I woke up. Needed a power nap for the UFC for later so cheers to the boys for assisting the nap with stale football.

Schwartz taking a penalty when JFC, Shinnie and Stockley all in form? Doesn't make sense to me.

Quite difficult to score a penalty with your head in fairness 
  • Rob said:
    People complaining about how boring we were today should get a life. Finally, 2 clean sheets and 2 decent performances. Or would you rather that we go out all guns blazing and concede a goal or two! But, it’s an exciting game right?! Too much of that this season. I’d much rather it be like it was today and last Tuesday where we played as a team and ground out a result. The old fashioned way! And that’s why Bowyer has been pleased after the last couple of games. 
    We could have won and that would have been a classic away smash and grab. But, you can’t blame Ronnie. He hit it well and the goalie made a great save. And, I think he’s an experienced enough pro to not have his world falling apart now as others have said. 
    Finally, contrary to what others have said, I enjoyed that game. Much better than playing loosely and then have to play catch up which we’ve had to do so much this season.
    Tuesday’s selection will be interesting. Some players were blowing today, notably Famewo and Pearce, so I can’t see us starting with the same side  for the third game on the trot. 
    But were they decent performances?

Last Tuesday, for most of that second half we were outplayed and under heavy pressure from a team that is now bottom of the table. OK Wigan didn't have many clear cut chances (in fact, did they have any real clear cut ones?) but the ball was flying around our penalty area, Wigan have had a number of corners and we've struggled to get and hold onto the ball for much of that half. If Wigan had had any decent strikers we would have lost.

Today I've watched the game and was bored silly by a lot of it. Did we have a shot in the first half? I don't remember one. And for much of the game today we've played terrible football, with little control, unable to retain the ball or with scarce threat to the Oxford goal. 

True, four points have stopped the rot but the performances overall leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. 
    Agreed, no way could the last 2 games be considered 2 decent performances. Today was an awful spectacle really, against opponents struggling themselves, and with several players out through injury. We've looked like a bang ordinary midtable side in recent weeks, is that good enough?
  • Stig said:
    Rob said:
    People complaining about how boring we were today should get a life...
    Is football not about entertainment then? Is it not a chance for ordinary people to break with the humdrum monotony of everyday life and engage with something exciting for a couple of hours a week? Is it called the beautiful game for completely erroneous reasons?

I'll take four points from two games and I hope the team can use those two clean sheets as a springboard to greater things, but I'm not going to pretend I've seen anything remotely entertaining or exciting. And I'm not going to make-believe that two mid-table teams slogging out a bore draw in the third division is good football. I owe it to myself to be more discerning than that, and we owe it to our sport to be more demanding. 
    I think with a decent crowd and a full away end that might have seemed a much better game. It must be  hard for teams to go all in when it must have all the atmosphere of a training session. 
  • Didn't watch as was working. As most know I'm pro Bowyer and believe in a summer of rebuilding.  We aren't getting into the playoffs and to be honest I don't think we are ready as a team for it or to play in a division higher. Thomas isn't going anywhere neither is Bowyer. Let's assess, see who we want to keep and who we need to ship. We will come good I have no doubt. Patience is the key
  • Sponsored links:

• What a terrible game, and I didn't even watch it. Came back from glorified strip show and decided to give the game a miss and the missus a game (my penalty went way over so same result)
  • edited March 2021
    Can't believe Millar is getting 7s on the ratings thread. He was hopeless. 

Rob said:
    People complaining about how boring we were today should get a life. Finally, 2 clean sheets and 2 decent performances. Or would you rather that we go out all guns blazing and concede a goal or two! But, it’s an exciting game right?! Too much of that this season. I’d much rather it be like it was today and last Tuesday where we played as a team and ground out a result. The old fashioned way! And that’s why Bowyer has been pleased after the last couple of games. 
    We could have won and that would have been a classic away smash and grab. But, you can’t blame Ronnie. He hit it well and the goalie made a great save. And, I think he’s an experienced enough pro to not have his world falling apart now as others have said. 
    Finally, contrary to what others have said, I enjoyed that game. Much better than playing loosely and then have to play catch up which we’ve had to do so much this season.
    Tuesday’s selection will be interesting. Some players were blowing today, notably Famewo and Pearce, so I can’t see us starting with the same side  for the third game on the trot. 
    But were they decent performances?

Last Tuesday, for most of that second half we were outplayed and under heavy pressure from a team that is now bottom of the table. OK Wigan didn't have many clear cut chances (in fact, did they have any real clear cut ones?) but the ball was flying around our penalty area, Wigan have had a number of corners and we've struggled to get and hold onto the ball for much of that half. If Wigan had had any decent strikers we would have lost.

Today I've watched the game and was bored silly by a lot of it. Did we have a shot in the first half? I don't remember one. And for much of the game today we've played terrible football, with little control, unable to retain the ball or with scarce threat to the Oxford goal. 

True, four points have stopped the rot but the performances overall leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. 
    Agreed, no way could the last 2 games be considered 2 decent performances. Today was an awful spectacle really, against opponents struggling themselves, and with several players out through injury. We've looked like a bang ordinary midtable side in recent weeks, is that good enough?
    Don't think you get out of a run like ours by suddenly flipping to Brazil mode. Back to basics, scrape a few results and build from there. Hopefully it's the start of something. But at the same time I'm not expecting a massive run full of beautiful football because our lack of quality in the final third is plainly obvious. 
  • paulfox said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Croydon said:
    Been a massive swing on this forum to people simply accepting we're a mid table League One side. You'll have to forgive me and the few others who still think we should be aiming for higher.
    I’m with u Croydon but the ship has sailed now this year so the silver lining is we should be in line for a good go at it next year and we will be in the stadium to see it - if we’d gone up this year, chances are we would be in for a grind out season next year at best - relax / the good tunes will come I’m sure 
    What would you prefer?, going up and grinding, or staying down with no certainty we are going to be in the mix? I think the team have let it slip unnecessarily this season, we’ve been shocking for a while and yet not a million miles out of contention. Just frustrating really.
    i'd sooner go up but am looking at the potential silver lining - i think we need to replace bowyer asap and let a proven manager come in and oversee a re build 
  • DOUCHER said:
    paulfox said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Croydon said:
    Been a massive swing on this forum to people simply accepting we're a mid table League One side. You'll have to forgive me and the few others who still think we should be aiming for higher.
    I’m with u Croydon but the ship has sailed now this year so the silver lining is we should be in line for a good go at it next year and we will be in the stadium to see it - if we’d gone up this year, chances are we would be in for a grind out season next year at best - relax / the good tunes will come I’m sure 
    What would you prefer?, going up and grinding, or staying down with no certainty we are going to be in the mix? I think the team have let it slip unnecessarily this season, we’ve been shocking for a while and yet not a million miles out of contention. Just frustrating really.
    i'd sooner go up but am looking at the potential silver lining - i think we need to replace bowyer asap and let a proven manager come in and oversee a re build 
    Who would you suggest as a proven manager.
  • aliwibble said:
    Bowyer's happy pills are clearly kicking in in this post match interview. :)

It's really good to see him look so much less stressed. I'm guessing he knows he's keeping the job. Good
    Funny cause I saw it the other way. He knows he isn’t and so is more relaxed because of it. 
  • Another bang average div 1 bore draw which could have been overlooked by just putting the penalty away,where's Lyle when we needed him,I hate this division 
  • aliwibble said:
    Bowyer's happy pills are clearly kicking in in this post match interview. :)

It's really good to see him look so much less stressed. I'm guessing he knows he's keeping the job. Good
    Funny cause I saw it the other way. He knows he isn’t and so is more relaxed because of it. 
    I think it's more likely he has been told that will be decided/discussed once we know what divison we are in next season. 
  • doronron said:
    Another bang average div 1 bore draw which could have been overlooked by just putting the penalty away,where's Lyle when we needed him,I hate this division 
    It’s terrible. I’ve said it before but I would accept never being in the Premier League again if it meant we never got relegated below the Championship. This league is worse than the Premier League would be good.
  • Football has become steadily less entertaining since I first watched in the 50s.The gradual influx of coaches,tactics formations etc .has taken the impulsiveness away from the game.Long gone are the days the manager gave out the shirts 2-11 "there you go boys,have a good game,just watch out for so and so,keep an eye on him,dont let him turn you in the box,good luck.Not a blackboard or tactics meeting in sight.We now have "managers ways of playing their unique ideas,"(They all look the same to me).Yesterday you would have had both managers probably spending hours observing videos of the opposition,analysing every player on the other,working on how to stop so and so etc.(and that is in the 3rd division).Watching some of the premier league is sleep inducing,and an insult to the entertainment industry(certain teams exempt).But what do supporters want,yes to have their team winning,but do you want a 0-0 away to a decent team or go for it and lose 3-2.and be royally entertained.It would be great to say how many goals the oppo get we will get more,but will not happen,so for me digging out results at this particular time is most important.Now I dont know what the fitness situation is but to me Peirce Famewo and Watson must be the 1st 3 name on the sheet next game.
  • Sponsored links:

Incorrect... Has taken a few for Exeter, none for Preston though

Although that could be more to the fact that Paul Gallagher takes theirs
  • edited March 2021
    Robinson basically confirmed it was a penalty by acknowledging there was contact. If we are going to pick holes into our season, it wouldn't be that game. In fact we did better in that than when we played Oxford away in our promotion season.

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge. I have said my piece in terms of blaming Bowyer for a lot of it, but there does seem to be a sort of peace, as happens when things have come to a head, and the possibility to move forwards. A win yesterday and it would have done a lot for our confidence. We need to win our next three and see where we are after that.
  • Hope the players have the day off again today!!
  • doronron said:
    Another bang average div 1 bore draw which could have been overlooked by just putting the penalty away,where's Lyle when we needed him,I hate this division 
    Warming the bench at Forest, surely we have moved on from that
  • Robinson basically confirmed it was a penalty by acknowledging there was contact. If we are going to pick holes into our season, it wouldn't be that game. In fact we did better in that than when we played Oxford away in our promotion season.

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge. I have said my piece in terms of blaming Bowyer for a lot of it, but there does seem to be a sort of peace, as happens when things have come to a head, and the possibility to move forwards. A win yesterday and it would have done a lot for our confidence. We need to win our next three and see where we are after that.
    After the last 2 games, we look like a team that is short of 2 or 3 really good players. 

Before that we looked like a team short of 11 or 12.

If we some how signed Famewo and Stockley then used the other 4 places in the squad to add real quality I would be happy keeping almost everyone we have currently got. 
  • Like many I have been frustrated by the hope that the initial start to our season brought and how it all seemingly went wrong:

First 10 Games: Won 7 Drawn 1 Lost 2 = 22 points (2.20 points per game)
    Next 23 Games: Won 6 Drawn 8 Lost 9 = 26 points (1.13 points per game)

Looking back we were fooled by that initial run - the two games we lost were against Lincoln and Doncaster who are still very much in the promotion shake up. Then look at who we beat and their early season form:

Crewe - lost 6 of 10 
    Wigan - won 2 of 14
    Blackpool - won 2 of 9 
    Northampton - lost 7 of 11
    Oxford - won 4 of 16
    Portsmouth - won 5 of 10
    Fleetwood - won 5 of 11

Arguably, the results against Portsmouth and Fleetwood were good ones but one also has to bear in mind that the latter were soon to go on a run of winning just 2 from 19.

Having the Innis/Famewo partnership basically stopped some teams in poor form from scoring - that is why we won those games. Our success was built on negativity - we actually only scored 14 goals in those first 10 games whereas we netted 32 times from our next 23 so the rate of goals per game is identical for both periods. Once we started leaking goals we had no plan B because LB doesn't have a formation or way of playing that will impose our game on the opposition, 

So the table doesn't lie apart from the fact that, once the stagger of unequal games unwinds, our true position will almost certainly be 12th (Oxford need 1 point from 2 games and Blackpool 4 from 4 to both go above us). 

For me it's all about hope. Hope that we start to look like a team that will play football and win matches with a view to gaining promotion next season. I have still to be convinced that this could be under LB because I still have that nagging thought that we went up because of the players he has at his dispersal more than because of his tactical nous.

This is bang on. 
  • If we had been offered 4 points and 2 clean sheets before these two away games we would have taken it, so not unhappy. Others around us appear to be doing their best at keeping our hopes alive and remarkably, 6th is still a distinct possibility with a few back to back wins and momentum building.

Defence was solid, midfield set up a bit more defensively minded and as a result attack limited to a few chances.

Ronnie was unlucky, but I felt all three points would have been totally unfair on Oxford. That had 0-0 written all over the game and the point is one earned ahead of the next game.

Lee may need to tinker as a few looked a bit shot (why this is a thing in today’s game versus not being in yesteryear I do not know), but I fancy us for Tuesday now and just sense the tide is turning. I hope I am right. Up the Addicks!
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

The big test, can we keep a clean sheet at the Valley Tuesday. Would take a 0-0 now after 
    they tonked Portsmouth today.
    Yep a point will be amazing against a team who with their second win on the bounce have just climbed out of the relegation zone having not won in their previous 12 games .

Great point today against an Oxford side who’ve now managed 1 goal in 6 games 
    I am not sure how closely you have been following our fortunes at home, but a clean sheet at home would represent a huge step forward.
    Aim low and you won’t miss 
    we have an outside chance of the play offs a 0-0 won’t help us achieve that we have to win , which we will if Watson is there to hold the defence together and help in getting more clean sheets 

I always thought that the playoffs were a stretch, but our recent record at home is appalling. Watson has been good in the last two games, and IMO is better than Pratley in defending the back four.
    Famewo has had a significant influence on our last results and we look far more secure at the back since his return.
    But for whatever reason we have shipped a shed load at home. Steadying that ship will identify if we are going to be a contender.
    I agree with Watson. The green shoots showed last Tuesday, Pearce is an old school warhorse, and leader, but he does have mistakes in him. Aki is young, full of energy, and learning, also with a mistake in him, but is developing those out. Watson is a tidier, more cultured player, who reads these situations and covers better than Pratley. As I say you could see an understanding developing between these three last week, and that continued yesterday. We actually started to look like a team again.
    Pratley for all his enthusiasm, is wayward with his passing and petulant in his tackling which has caused us problems. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Amos: 6.5
    Famewo: 5.5
    Pearce: 6
    Maatsen: 2
    Watson: 6
    Smith: 6
    F-C: 7
    Millar: 7
    Aneke: 4
    Washington: 6
    Gunter: 6
    Stockley: 5

Gonna explain this one? Maybe don't, actually. It's clear you only watch Charlton so you can pick one of the players to slag off afterwards. 2 is a mark you give when someone's pissed about, been completely incapable of doing anything they're supposed to, probably given a goal away and gotten sent off or something. Not for someone who generally kept driving us on down the flank, mostly defended well and whose urgency and clever last-minute throw helped us win a penalty. But I know how scapegoating works by now, and I will never, ever let its perpetrators rest