Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Oxford v Charlton | Sat 6 March 2021

Comments

• Problem is, we just don’t play fluent good attacking football and put teams under sustained pressure so I can’t say how we r going to win 3 home games - win draw loss most likely and status quo maintained 
  • Fair result but shyte football. Notice Sunderland have hit a run and I think they will gain auto promotion. If we are able to win our home matches then perhaps we might grab a 6th place. But realistically we are just not good enough as a team. I think we are in a rut and next season expectations will bring more pressure on the team, especially with (hopefully) fans bring back.  Not far removed from Citeh and t’leeds with their spell in the doldrums. I fucking detest this division! 
  • A 2nd clean sheet, but not much of a game to be fair. For me a draw was the fair result. As for the penalty, it was perhaps a bit 'soft' when it was given, but RS hit it well and the keeper pulled off a great save which he is paid to do! If Amos had saved that we would be saying what a 'fantastic' save it was, so lets at least give some credit where credit is due.
    4 of the next 5 games are at home with the away one at AFC Wimbledon....we've just collected 4 points out of 6, now we need to collect at least 12 out of 15 and then see where that takes us. LB needs to get our away form replicated at home. For me the main thing is we have stopped, finally, conceding goals, now we need to build on that. Roll on Tuesday!
    With Portsmouth collapsing should we have a decent return of points in the next six games we could grab a play off place, top five onwards is out of our reach. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Schwartz getting slated week in week out is getting silly.
    Why? Happened to Bogle. What has Schwartz done that Bogle didn’t?
    Why do we always have to have someone to slaughter !?!?

gotta feel for Ronnie, that goes in and he’s a bloody hero....
    You’re right tbf. We don’t always need a scapegoat. I just find it weird that people were quick to jump on Bogle’s back and label him as one of the worst strikers ever to play for us, whereas very few are doing the same with Schwartz.
  • edited March 2021
    I get the impression from Curbs,IMnto,Brown,Lee.... And anyone else who commentates publicly on our plight that if we get a decent couple of results things will change and we'll go on some sort of a run and a bright, expansive exciting side will emerge from the flames.
    What are they watching?
    There's not a set of jump leads big enough that could get this group to spring into action.
    I think some of the recruitment has been pretty poor,especially around the young loanees. I think Gallen has been blinded by the lights of the stature of club they've come from without really doing his homework as to whether they would fit in our side or benefit us.

Because they know that at this level things can change very quickly and momentum can really drive your final third of the season. 

Burton have won 6 of their last 7, Pompey have won just 1 of their last 6 etc...
    You usually have to change something to get that sort of positive run though, whether players back from injury, new signings, a new manager or new tactics

Burton for example changed their manager and have brought in a lot of new players in January, including changing all 5 of their loan players!
  • edited March 2021
    Devastated by the penalty miss, really could have been a season changer, when luck was finally going our way......but we’ve got no luck! I’m almost hoping we don’t go up (not that we will) as it’ll be another season of rebuild and will be harder with a new team in the champ. Good point, look better defensively and onto Tuesday. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gobbo v Bowyer always going to be a snore feast. I think Millar is a vampire as he doesn't do crosses.
  • Before the Game and our current form I was happy with a point away to Oxford.
    i think the result was fair on the day.
    the body language of RS said he would miss the penalty and he did.
    top strikers rarely miss penalty’s that important.
    thats probably why he plays for us 😂😂
  • Wasn't great. Wasn't terrible but what a chance to take all three points. Bit gutted. Good save by keeper but still a miss. Think it aims up this season. Will take a massive improvement in results to make play offs now. We have to win next three to have chance. Don't think Northampton will be a pushover on Tuesday and clearly expect a number of changes.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was pleased with that.
    We're struggling in L1 so I've revised my expectations.
    We looked like a team, which we hadn't for 3 months. We had looked like a bunch of strangers.
    We kept it tight and kept another clean sheet, which is absolutely great considering.
    I would have taken a point at KO.

NB Bowyer is now doing most things fans have been asking for.
    A settled team with no changes.
    A formation that keeps us tight and hard to beat.
    Players playing in the right positions.
    No wholesale changes at HT.
    Instead of putting on defenders in the 2nd half he put on more offensive players.
    No defending deeper and deeper late on.
    Calmer post match conference.

Oh and the match was a bit boring, but in the circumstances I'm really pleased that everyone gave their all, we looked organised and kept another clean sheet.
    A draw was a fair result and I thought the goalie would save the pen, because we're Charlton and that's what we do.
    Can't argue with this. We've all be moaning about all the team changes, the substitutions & the formations. It looks like Bowyer had gone back to basics & although it may be boring we've tightened up at the back. P'haps a man from his neck of the woods has had a quiet word in his shell-like. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Schwartz getting slated week in week out is getting silly.
    Why? Happened to Bogle. What has Schwartz done that Bogle didn’t?
    Why do we always have to have someone to slaughter !?!?

gotta feel for Ronnie, that goes in and he’s a bloody hero....
    You’re right tbf. We don’t always need a scapegoat. I just find it weird that people were quick to jump on Bogle’s back and label him as one of the worst strikers ever to play for us, whereas very few are doing the same with Schwartz.
    Its not weird to accept that over  their respective careers Schwarz has shown he is a far better striker than Bogle, and that includes his penatly conversion rate. I dont like pile-ons against any player though, unless that player isnt giving 100%. 
  • Redrobo said:

The big test, can we keep a clean sheet at the Valley Tuesday. Would take a 0-0 now after 
    they tonked Portsmouth today.
    Yep a point will be amazing against a team who with their second win on the bounce have just climbed out of the relegation zone having not won in their previous 12 games .

Great point today against an Oxford side who’ve now managed 1 goal in 6 games 
    I am not sure how closely you have been following our fortunes at home, but a clean sheet at home would represent a huge step forward.
  • Surprise surprise it wasn't a penalty, well that's a shock, didn't expect anything else, of course it was a bloody penalty, why go over in the box with just the keeper to beat, twat
  • RedRobin said:
    Devastated by the penalty miss, really could have been a season changer, when luck was finally going our way......but we’ve got no luck! I’m almost hoping we don’t go up (not that we will) as it’ll be another season of rebuild and will be harder with a new team in the champ. Good point, look better defensively and onto Tuesday. 
    I'd rather rebuild in the Championship than League 1, it has to be better that way.
  • Surprise surprise it wasn't a penalty, well that's a shock, didn't expect anything else, of course it was a bloody penalty, why go over in the box with just the keeper to beat, twat
    Robinson has some gut on him, he's getting to become the next Steve Evans.