Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Oxford v Charlton | Sat 6 March 2021

Comments

• Good performance I thought. Played against a good side who are in good form. Miles better than showing against Blackpool and Burton.

Pleased with the point and the clean sheet as shows that we won’t finish the season getting humiliated each week I thought could happen last week.

Very gutted as that win would be huge for Charlton.
    4 points from last 5 league games is your view of good form. You really are a Charlton fan.
  • Must be so frustrating as a defender, worked so hard almost constantly for 90 mins due to your midfield and forwards not being able to hold on to the ball. Get a penalty in the last minute and your striker cant put it away. At least we seem to have stopped conceding as many
  • Lee Bowyer spoke well after the game. Just wants to see a bit more quality in the final third. 

All in all, it was a good point and the Pearce/Famewo partnership looks good. 
  • edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I'm far from Bowyer's greatest fan but credit where credit is due, that was a much better interview and good to see him supportive of Schwartz (at least in public)
    Would love to see him help his confidence by starting him Tuesday
    Agree with the thinking but we really need to get a settled team/formation/style
    Yeah have to agree with that, unfortunately going to be a few forced changes already though I bet

Matthews for starters, and wont be surprised to see Famewo and potentially Maatsen after they both got knocks

Be frustrating if so as its almost the whole defence that has to be changed again
  • At least it was a better performance than last Saturday and a point closer to safety.
  • edited March 2021
    Schwartz may well have been be the best penalty taker on the pitch at that time, but he had an added pressure on top of the game situation. Yes he hit it hard but it was at a perfect height. Sorry, it was a poor penalty.

Having said that, anybody can miss a penalty and when it is missed a player that didn't take it would have been a better bet.  Also, I don't think the camera backed up it being a penalty or not being one. My money was Stockley turned the defender and got caught given the position of the ref to see it.

Looking at our upcoming games, that would have been a massive three points.
  • Well, last week I said I had stopped being bothered by it anymore. So, all I can really add, is the entire team and Bowyer look about as bothered as I am. An on the bothered scale it’s pretty low..... 

• Sponsored links:

• Midfield and attackers not getting the ball down and playing as a unit,all a bit disjointed. Boring game really, unlucky Schwartz not happening for him at the moment.Would of been daylight robbery, not that I’d have complained. Hate to say but we aren’t quite good enough all round to jump up the table the way we need. Hope I’m wrong.
  • That's two penalties we've missed this season! That alone cost us 4 pts.
    A decent centre forward must score!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    A decent point.  Don't know why Stockley didn't take the penalty. Never fancied Schwartz to score 
    Really? It was a good save. He leathered it on target tight to the post.
    I didn't say it was a bad penalty, just that I never fancied Schwartz to score & would've preferred Stockley to take it.

As I say, I think it's a decent point gained 
  • edited March 2021
    Word of wisdom from the lady of the house when i said we missed the penalty was priceless
    "Oh dear what a shame, at least you didn't lose", sorry lifers but had to tell you all, hope that
    makes you feel a bit better
  • Will take the point but a pretty flat game and gutting not to nick it with the last kick of the game. 

Roll on Tuesday.
  • Diabysmal
  • Sponsored links:

• At least the players looked up for it and put in a lot of effort if not a lot of quality. Can’t say anyone had a decent game although Stockley made a difference second half. Pearce lucky not to be booked on a number of occasions. Thought it was a definite penalty and wondered who would take it with no Washington. AT least Schwartz had the bottle to take it and struck it well but at a decent height & place for the keeper that made a good save. Think he only touched the ball once before taking the pen. Three points today may have just kept the play off hopes alive but can’t see it now and we probably don’t deserve too either.
  • edited March 2021
    Crap game of football but 4 points from 2 games, two consecutive clean sheets, shame we didn’t score from the undeserved penalty but he hit it well and the keeper saved it
  • I always say with penalties, tall keepers go low.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Schwartz getting slated week in week out is getting silly.
    Just imagine if it was Bogle who had had put in similar performances week in week out....
    Bogle's playing style was advertised as being similar to Aneke. 

Schwartz has always been an off the defenders shoulder player. No one has tried to paint him differently.

What do you mean by that? What type of striker they are has absolutely nothing to do with my original point - but in a way backs it up. 

The fact of the matter is we had two under performaning strikers yet some of the abuse aimed at one, whilst the quickness to defend the others by fans was and is disproportionate. 
    How much play time was Bogle given? 

Him much play time has Schwartz had? He is being played as an impact player for 10-15 mins per game, despite him not being an impact player. He needs opportunities something Bogle had and wasted in bundles. 

I admit Schwartz needs to do more, but people slating him for taking a good penalty that was well saved is simply toxic.

There's a good player there, we just need to play to his strengths.

We played to Bogles and he still did less than he should have, but if you look back I supported him more than most.

I'm not about shitting on our players at every opportunity. I also didn't think Bowyer was doing well enough, but am still giving him time, despite feeling my gut is right about him.
    It's not 'toxic'. And it's frustrating that that's the second time in recent days that someone on this forum has referred to people having emotionally driven different opinions about something as being toxic.

Seems far to easy for people to just throw out toxic as a saying when they don't like what is going on or being said. 

And totally fair enough that you support both sets of players. I know that's exactly the sort of poster you are, so aiming my annoyance at what I see as double standards by some at you, is not warranted. 
  • So much better. Proper defence. If chuks had stayed on without a yellow card then who knows. At least he will play on Tuesday. Feel sorry for Schwartz. Back four very good. Smith good also. Take the point and move on to Tuesday. Feels better today than the relief I felt on Tuesday. It’s starting to be enjoyable again.
  • edited March 2021
    Please, please, please, can we see Aneke and Stockley together on Tuesday. This is League One and a physicality overload could be very productive. Especially as both players have much more to their game as well.
  • Schwartz should never have taken that penalty , he is devoid of confidence.  We were slightly better of two average sides . Please start Aneke and Stockley on Tuesday .
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Schwartz getting slated week in week out is getting silly.
    Just imagine if it was Bogle who had had put in similar performances week in week out....
    Bogle's playing style was advertised as being similar to Aneke. 

Schwartz has always been an off the defenders shoulder player. No one has tried to paint him differently.

What do you mean by that? What type of striker they are has absolutely nothing to do with my original point - but in a way backs it up. 

The fact of the matter is we had two under performaning strikers yet some of the abuse aimed at one, whilst the quickness to defend the others by fans was and is disproportionate. 
    How much play time was Bogle given? 

Him much play time has Schwartz had? He is being played as an impact player for 10-15 mins per game, despite him not being an impact player. He needs opportunities something Bogle had and wasted in bundles. 

I admit Schwartz needs to do more, but people slating him for taking a good penalty that was well saved is simply toxic.

There's a good player there, we just need to play to his strengths.

We played to Bogles and he still did less than he should have, but if you look back I supported him more than most.

I'm not about shitting on our players at every opportunity. I also didn't think Bowyer was doing well enough, but am still giving him time, despite feeling my gut is right about him.
    We didn't play to Bogle's strengths either.  Just because he has the build of a target man doesn't mean he is.