Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Oxford v Charlton | Sat 6 March 2021

Comments

• Lee could do with a WhatsApp group, with curbs and Steve brown in it giving him a few tips at half time.
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

The big test, can we keep a clean sheet at the Valley Tuesday. Would take a 0-0 now after 
    they tonked Portsmouth today.
    Yep a point will be amazing against a team who with their second win on the bounce have just climbed out of the relegation zone having not won in their previous 12 games .

Great point today against an Oxford side who’ve now managed 1 goal in 6 games 
    I am not sure how closely you have been following our fortunes at home, but a clean sheet at home would represent a huge step forward.
    Aim low and you won’t miss 
    we have an outside chance of the play offs a 0-0 won’t help us achieve that we have to win , which we will if Watson is there to hold the defence together and help in getting more clean sheets 

I always thought that the playoffs were a stretch, but our recent record at home is appalling. Watson has been good in the last two games, and IMO is better than Pratley in defending the back four.
    Famewo has had a significant influence on our last results and we look far more secure at the back since his return.
    But for whatever reason we have shipped a shed load at home. Steadying that ship will identify if we are going to be a contender.
  • DOUCHER said:
    play chucks and Stockley up top with shinnie millar jay semi and jfc in midfield and just go for it - it’s shit or bust now 
    I don't think Stockley and Aneke work, they're too similar, you need a pacey striker alongside one of them.
    In theory yes but i don’t consider Washington as pacey, Schwartz isn’t quite at it and jaysemi seems out of favour 🙄so it’s chucks and stockley for me - it has worked before 
  • Rob said:
    People complaining about how boring we were today should get a life. Finally, 2 clean sheets and 2 decent performances. Or would you rather that we go out all guns blazing and concede a goal or two! But, it’s an exciting game right?! Too much of that this season. I’d much rather it be like it was today and last Tuesday where we played as a team and ground out a result. The old fashioned way! And that’s why Bowyer has been pleased after the last couple of games. 
    We could have won and that would have been a classic away smash and grab. But, you can’t blame Ronnie. He hit it well and the goalie made a great save. And, I think he’s an experienced enough pro to not have his world falling apart now as others have said. 
    Finally, contrary to what others have said, I enjoyed that game. Much better than playing loosely and then have to play catch up which we’ve had to do so much this season.
    Tuesday’s selection will be interesting. Some players were blowing today, notably Famewo and Pearce, so I can’t see us starting with the same side  for the third game on the trot. 

Would rather not be a poor midtable League One team but each to their own I suppose. 
    But we are so get over it. 
  • And u think chucks is quite pace once he gets in his stride - he can run the channels 
  • Sponsored links:

• Pacey 
  • Croydon said:
    Been a massive swing on this forum to people simply accepting we're a mid table League One side. You'll have to forgive me and the few others who still think we should be aiming for higher.
    I thought we would be mid table at best with our side in October, I thought we had a reasonable Jan window and with a bit of luck we could get in the top six and would be safe.
    Nothing changed for me. Top six would be a tremendous season.
  • Croydon said:
    Been a massive swing on this forum to people simply accepting we're a mid table League One side. You'll have to forgive me and the few others who still think we should be aiming for higher.
    I’m with u Croydon but the ship has sailed now this year so the silver lining is we should be in line for a good go at it next year and we will be in the stadium to see it - if we’d gone up this year, chances are we would be in for a grind out season next year at best - relax / the good tunes will come I’m sure 
  • Croydon said:
    I don’t think many of us are pleased to say it,but unfortunately the team is saying it for us. I think they are underachieving and don’t subscribe to the excuses of recruitment difficulties. On the odd occasion this bunch of players have shown they can play better than a lot of the shite they have served up. Ultimately if it wasn’t for Thomas taking over, which is obviously massive. This season I think is to become the biggest damp squib, I’m getting a bit bored with it just hoping for something to happen.

• Times 
  • No coincidence that Famewo comes back in and we keep consecutive clean sheets for the first time since Karl Robinson fitted into 34” trousers.

Defence is the key to success but sadly it’s probably too late now....
  • Redrobo said:
    Croydon said:
    I thought we would be mid table at best with our side in October, I thought we had a reasonable Jan window and with a bit of luck we could get in the top six and would be safe.
    Nothing changed for me. Top six would be a tremendous season.
    Fair enough mate. Just my opinion of course, but anything but top 6 for me is a massive failure. 
  • Croydon said:
          Yes I cannot understand the Logic either.
          We are 4 points from the playoff zone 
          And apart from Sunderland and Burton everyone else has been highly inconsistent over the last four Games, so with an improvement in form it is still possible.👍👍
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember when people used Sunderland as an example of changing managers not working, there 4th now. 

Except for the two relegations, you mean.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Croydon said:
    I’m with u Croydon but the ship has sailed now this year so the silver lining is we should be in line for a good go at it next year and we will be in the stadium to see it - if we’d gone up this year, chances are we would be in for a grind out season next year at best - relax / the good tunes will come I’m sure 
    What would you prefer?, going up and grinding, or staying down with no certainty we are going to be in the mix? I think the team have let it slip unnecessarily this season, we’ve been shocking for a while and yet not a million miles out of contention. Just frustrating really.
  • se9addick said:
    Players miss penalties. The best players in the world miss penalties.

I think he could come good next season. Needs to be in a side that knows how to get the best from him. That isn’t happening at the moment as the team is too unsettled but I do get the feeling he could be more than decent in this league.
    I really haven’t seen enough with Schwartz to be confident that building a side around his strengths (whatever they are) would be a smart idea. Obviously I hope that he finds his feet, but at the moment he looks a bit lost.
    Come June he may well be the only striker on the books.
  • Why was Amos wasting time and JJ slowing down the throw in that led to the pen? Fuming 
  • I remember when people used Sunderland as an example of changing managers not working, there 4th now. 

Since they sacked Parkinson?  That's some good going, to get relegated once mid season would be unlucky, never mind twice!

But the point your making isn't logical either.  Sacking managers ever 6 months is wrong but it's not a reason to never sack a manager. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I remember when people used Sunderland as an example of changing managers not working, there 4th now. 

Since they sacked Parkinson?  That's some good going, to get relegated once mid season would be unlucky, never mind twice!

But the point your making isn't logical either.  Sacking managers ever 6 months is wrong but it's not a reason to never sack a manager. 

Straw man alert! Please show where I said to "never sack a manager."
  • Had we beaten all those teams in the lower half of the table, this would have been just the sort of point needed to cement our place in the promotion shake up. As it is, it is meaningless as will be the rest of the season save establishing whether LB deserves to stay on and who of the players deserve a new contract.
  • Telling people who’ve been holed up indoors for 3 months to ‘get a life’. Brilliant. 
    So remove the post.