Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Oxford v Charlton | Sat 6 March 2021

Comments

• edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Great save from the penalty, hit hard and close to the post but should have been higher or lower. 

A confident player places it. He leathered it.
    According to Bowyer he normally sticks them in the top corner. I expect under normal circumstances he might have done, but this was a pressure kick for a player, starved of minutes, trying to make an impression. Stockley might have had less pressure if he’d taken the kick?
    Have no idea if Schwartz is any good or not, as he hasn’t had much of the ball so far. 
  • Some players don't like taking penalties. Has Stockley taken them before? Shinnie was the one I hoped would take it when I saw we got the penalty.
  • edited March 2021
    Didn't pay for the stream & reading on the match thread it didn't sound a thriller.

Golfie Jnr is royally pissed off that we missed a last minute penalty & 2 more points. I'm more sanguine & trying to tell him that in the end it won't really matter as we will need more than another 2 more points to get into the top 6. 

As pp have said, just want this season to end. Nothing to play for & our play is pedestrian & boring. Watched a bit of footage from 1991/92 on the "last minute goals" thread and saw entertaining play & us creating chance after chance. 

I dont think in my 47 years of watching this club I've ever seen more boring & uninspiring football. Something needs to change.
  • edited March 2021
    Some players don't like taking penalties. Has Stockley taken them before? Shinnie was the one I hoped would take it when I saw we got the penalty.
    Stockleyhttps://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jayden-stockley/elfmetertore/spieler/134293
    Shinniehttps://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/andrew-shinnie/elfmetertore/spieler/51733/plus/0?saison_id=ges&wettbewerb_id=
  • CAFCsayer said:
    I'd have had Jfc on the pen, he is full of confidence atm but not the end of the world... I've said to my old man so many times that our season is over, but the reality of it is that we would be 2 points off playoffs had we won today... The rest of the league is just as shit
    Has taken two for us (albeit one in a penalty shootout) before now

https://www.transfermarkt.gr/jake-forster-caskey/elfmetertore/spieler/148151
  • Players miss penalties. The best players in the world miss penalties.

I think he could come good next season. Needs to be in a side that knows how to get the best from him. That isn’t happening at the moment as the team is too unsettled but I do get the feeling he could be more than decent in this league.
    I really haven’t seen enough with Schwartz to be confident that building a side around his strengths (whatever they are) would be a smart idea. Obviously I hope that he finds his feet, but at the moment he looks a bit lost.
  • I said before the game I would be happy with a draw. It's a decent point and importantly a clean sheet. I still think we will make the playoffs there are still alot of twists and turns still to come in this mad season. We still have 39 points to play for !
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    Didn't pay for the stream & reading on the March thread it didn't sound a thriller.

Golfie Jnr is royally pissed off that we missed a last minute penalty & 2 more points. I'm more sanguine & trying to tell him that in the end it won't really matter as we will need more than another 2 more points to get into the top 6. 

As pp have said, just want this season to end. Nothing to play for & our play is pedestrian & boring. Watched a bit of footage from 1991/92 on the "last minute goals" thread and saw entertaining play & us creating chance after chance. 

I dont think in my 47 years of watching this club I've ever seen more boring & uninspiring football. 
    I said back in October/November that I'd fallen out of love with 'Bowyer Ball' big time - and I still feel that way.

Games like Wigan last week were a typical example of what I mentioned earlier in the season in that we never really look good when we win. There's never many games I feel like we were full value for the 3 points and were dominant from start to finish. We have the odd half here and there, but otherwise its all just pretty workman like.

But I thought today's performance was actually better than Wigan, and being away from home against a side in decent form I felt like we pretty much nullified Oxford whilst looking dangerous on the break (which is often the way you have to play as an away side).

I just hope we can take this small uptick in form and confidence into our home games and actually put on some good performances to watch. I've given up on play offs but would be nice to see some convincing wins before the season is out. 
  • 4 points from 2 away games is fine on paper. 

If we can find some form at home we may just sneak into 6th but only because everyone around us is equally as poor. 
  • Schwartz should never have taken that penalty , he is devoid of confidence.  We were slightly better of two average sides . Please start Aneke and Stockley on Tuesday .
    Bowyer has said that he would have him take the next penalty in that situation, Washington our designated taker was off the pitch at the time, and Ronnie has a good record with pens, up till today it was 14/16.
    It was a miss, but not a bad penalty, these things happen, and there have been plenty of penalty takers better than Ronnie who have missed, that's part of the game luck, bad for us, but good for their keeper
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Schwartz getting slated week in week out is getting silly.
    Gets more slate than the ball.
  • edited March 2021
    I predicted a dull match ending 1-1, so wasn't far off. Both teams defended pretty well, but you can see why both teams are also struggling to score goals at the moment, as there was a desperate lack of attacking quality out there

We looked very ordinary out there, until the penalty it really wasn't obvious how we were going to score as with Millar kept quiet and no Shinnie, DJ or Morgan on the pitch we weren't getting in crosses, there was no penetration from midfield, and nobody able to create something out of nothing

Ronnie's penalty wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst either. It was a good height for the keeper, but he still had to guess correctly and got a very strong hand on it
  • Simonsen said:
    Lee Bowyer spoke well after the game. Just wants to see a bit more quality in the final third. 

All in all, it was a good point and the Pearce/Famewo partnership looks good. 
    I want to see a LOT more quality in the final third. Our strikers are equally as disappointing as our defence and midfield.. This season has been a shocker. It feels at least as bad as last. Schwartz may be a lot better than he's showing, but I'm fed up of players underperforming so often that we are dropping down the table and behind so many teams that normally I wouldn't want to buy a paper off, let alone a player. We aren't massive, never have been, never will be (if you're listening Thomas) but FFS we can't accept being a pretty average team in the third tier. 
  • I get the impression from Curbs,IMnto,Brown,Lee.... And anyone else who commentates publicly on our plight that if we get a decent couple of results things will change and we'll go on some sort of a run and a bright, expansive exciting side will emerge from the flames.
    What are they watching?
    There's not a set of jump leads big enough that could get this group to spring into action.
    I think some of the recruitment has been pretty poor,especially around the young loanees. I think Gallen has been blinded by the lights of the stature of club they've come from without really doing his homework as to whether they would fit in our side or benefit us.

• CAFCsayer said:
    I'd have had Jfc on the pen, he is full of confidence atm but not the end of the world... I've said to my old man so many times that our season is over, but the reality of it is that we would be 2 points off playoffs had we won today... The rest of the league is just as shit
    Weren’t we outside the play off spots before we went on a run to get to Wembley last time ?
  • Laddick01 said:
    Don’t care too much about the Penalty miss. We aren’t going up so whatever.

What does piss me off is Amos time wasting against Oxford when we should be pushing for a win.

The mentality is wrong. The players are substandard.

I want this season to end more than any other. It’s just boring.
    Agree entirely.  Football is supposed to be a heroic, thrilling, exhilarating sport.  Millar aside (and he had a bad game) we don't have a flicker of inspiration or invention in this team.  Boring is the precise word.

• Sponsored links:

• Can someone teach Curbs how to say Maatsen... 
    “Gut - ner”...
  • ct_addick said:
    I'm far from Bowyer's greatest fan but credit where credit is due, that was a much better interview and good to see him supportive of Schwartz (at least in public)
    Would love to see him help his confidence by starting him Tuesday
    No not good enough for me
    Good thing you arent the manager then 😂👍
  • Not a bad quality game as in it wasn't hoofball but it was the modern day equivalent 

Had to watch it standing up as 100% id have fallen asleep, thought we shaded it on points but a draw is definitely a fair result. Both sets of players looked incredibly tired after about an hour again. Referee was usual division 3 toilet 

Felt a bit sorry for Schwartz as it wasn't a bad penalty and a decent save but it should never have been given and we would all be fuming it that had gone against us 
  • Jayajosh said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Schwartz getting slated week in week out is getting silly.
    Gets more slate than the ball.

Give the bloke a break. At least he had the balls to take the penalty.
  • edited March 2021
    Didn't think it was as dreadful a game as some people are saying. Actually one of our more solid performances recently, cut out a lot of the defensive mistakes and much more pressure off the ball in midfield to reduce their opportunities. the frustration obviously was going forward. Millar is clearly a talented kid, but his decision-making and execution was awful today. Washington always works hard and does a lot of running, but he couldn't really get on the ball and never looked like scoring. Aneke in a wider position struggled to get in the game, though had a couple of good moments. Don't know what to say about the penalty really, decent save from the keeper, but... you really have to take those chances.

Think our promotion chances faded weeks ago tbh, so not too upset about the result. Back to back clean sheets is a positive, but would like to see us creating more up front...
    Sums up the game for me. 
    Millar needs to learn a lot IMO. He has the pace but his decision making is not good yet, and his finishing is poor. Experience will help
    A lot of fast players need to know when too just take care with the last touch. Maybe taking two or slowing down.
    Don't get me wrong, he is one of our better players.

I quite enjoyed the game and the tactics.

The foul for the Penalty was obscured by a player, but you have to say that the ref was in a great position to see what happened, and I assume he caught his leg after he turned. I thought Stockley would take as in form. 
    Good strike. Good save. We really could do with a bit more luck going our way.

The big test, can we keep a clean sheet at the Valley Tuesday. Would take a 0-0 now after 
    they tonked Portsmouth today.
  • Poor game - solid enough but no real quality - agreed, we r not going up so all getting a bit ‘so what’ tbh - hopefully we can re build in the summer and have a crack at it next year and we will b back in the stadium so plenty to look forward to - midfield needs a complete overhaul - get the wallet out TS please - no embargo, no Cap so hopefully we can bring in some quality 
  • this goes down to the adage that you never trust a bloke with more tattoos than his years 
  • Think overall the result was a fair one neither keeper was really tested , but again our performance was good plus another clean sheet ... yes we had a great chance to win it but it was a pen that was very well saved more then missed .. 
    Overall small steps forward now 3 home games where 3 wins would really make a statement