Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Hull City v Charlton | Sat 02 Jan 2021

Comments

• Thanks Charlton, just enjoying Saturday tea time after another Bowyer set up debacle...

• MattF said:
    We are desperately short up front - both in terms of quality players and the actual size of our strikers.

So why on earth is Josh Davison still at Woking?  He'd be a huge upgrade on Bogle. (And as someone else said, the coach should drop Bogle off in Grimsby tonight on the way home so he can continue his career there) 
    Davisons loan is until January, so will be interesting to see whether we extend it or not, seem to remember Gallen implied a little while ago that we might look to get him in the squad
    Be interesting to see when it expires as we're in January now and Davison played for Woking today
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Bowyer played a right back at left back; a left back at right mid; a centre mid at centre half who then got sent off for falling for the bait and kicking out (he's 35 for god's sake); Omar Bogle; left our most creative midfielder/s on the bench; and set us up with no creativity whatsoever.

My mood has shifted over the last month and I want to see a fresh approach, be that with or without Bowyer. 

In the short term, it is a simple fix. Play a normal formation with players in the right positions. Dominate lesser teams: Amos; Matthews; Pearce; Deji; Maatsen, then a midfield of JFC; Morgan; Williams; and Maddison; Schwartz/Aneke and Washington up top. Impose our will on a team and just brief the defenders to twat the ball miles away from our final third and that will be that.

We are desperately short of positivity right now.
    You and me dont usually agree, but that is bang on.
  • We may currently be 6th but there are 3 teams that can overtake us with their game(s) in hand 

• Not a happy bunny 
  • stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Astonished that the majority of Charlton Life seem to want Bowyer out ... fortunately it would appear that Thomas does not agree with you. 
    How the hell do you work that out????
    Read the comments ... it’s very clear 
    No it's not. You can criticise Bowyer without wanting him sacked. 
    I don’t want Bowyer out but boy is he stubborn. Fine playing players out of position if it works but Matthew’s at left back and Maatsen right side of midfield didn’t work last time. Add Morgan this time at left midfield and then you have neither him or Matthew’s able to go on the outside because they aren’t strong enough on their left foot. Ditto Maatsen on the right. So no width. Bogie is clearly struggling when you compare his ability to hold the ball up and play it off compared to Washington and Bogle. Can’t be bothered to say any more.
  • MattF said:
    We are desperately short up front - both in terms of quality players and the actual size of our strikers.

So why on earth is Josh Davison still at Woking?  He'd be a huge upgrade on Bogle. (And as someone else said, the coach should drop Bogle off in Grimsby tonight on the way home so he can continue his career there) 
    Davisons loan is until January, so will be interesting to see whether we extend it or not, seem to remember Gallen implied a little while ago that we might look to get him in the squad
    Be interesting to see when it expires as we're in January now and Davison played for Woking today
    Yeah, had assumed it would end as soon as the window opened and Transfermarkt have his loan ending on the 1st Jan
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't know enough about football to talk about players and tactics but I think I know some unhappy employees when I see them, and that doesn't look like a happy team. What Pratley did was the stupid thing that unhappy people do. 
  • edited January 2021
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Astonished that the majority of Charlton Life seem to want Bowyer out ... fortunately it would appear that Thomas does not agree with you. 
    Read the comments ... it’s very clear 
    Seems I over estimated ... ‘only’ 23 different posters on this thread and the ‘Bowyer to go’ thread. 

It’s a large enough number!. 
  • Right, I'll start by saying that that was bad, and that I don't agree with how Bowyer's been setting up recently. I don't have an issue with playing Pratley at CB as he's a better CB than Oshilaja and we all know it, though he let us down today with some silliness. Playing Matthews at left back is odd, especially given that Purrington is a player that really doesn't let us down. You can see what Bowyer was trying to do today with going to a flat 4-4-2 to try and get some solidity, and in many ways he tried to do exactly what he did against Hull post-lockdown. He's gone with a flat four with Albie on the left. You could even argue he's put Matthews there to deal with their threat cutting in on the right, which is exactly what he did last time, except he used Oshilaja then, and to some decent effect. What didn't help is that McGeady, average as he was, was a right winger whereas Maatsen is a LB he put on the wrong flank so there was no hope of width. Similarly Bogle isn't as good as Bonne or Hemed so we were always going to struggle in attack.
    That aside though, you can see where the real problems lie. We started the season with a plan, and that plan was to use Alfie's pace out wide to counter attack off the back of a solid defensive unit. We lost Alfie, which massively affected our abilities on the break and stopped our good passers like Gilbey and Forster-Caskey having anyone to aim their raking passes to. We adapted though and settled for solidity alone, which worked. We weren't electric but we didn't concede and we were winning game after game without conceding. We then lost both of our Goliath centre backs, as well as our midfield creator in Shinnie and that's killed us completely. We now lack the pace and the solidity to play the way we'd hoped to, so Bowyer has tried to fall back on his tried and tested methods, but we didn't build a squad to suit those systems so we're not as good at it anymore. We don't have the abilities of Cullen, Bielik, Aribo and Gallagher anymore. Our midfielders are much slower and that causes us to lack any coherence between attack and defence. Add to that the fact that instead of having Lyle Taylor we have Omar Bogle and you can see where the true issues are. We desperately, desperately need pace, and we need Inniss and Famewo back. I do agree that Bowyer's attempts to pivot from our strategy have gone a bit Twilight Zone, but all this talk of sacking the manager is just bonkers when you actually think about what we're dealing with. How many other teams wouldn't struggle losing the three players absolutely vital to their way of playing long term, and then a boat-load on top of that? Add to that the wage cap and our late takeover, meaning we haven't got much depth in the squad in line with our change in style and I think any team would struggle. We're in a squad transition; remnants of one way of playing are alongside new players and when you have to mix them together in too-large quantities problems show.
    Despite all that, this was our first loss in 5 games. Granted we've only won 1 in that period (though we should bear in mind there were two late equalisers in there to make things look worse), but we're still 6th. Still on for the Play-Offs despite the ridiculous amount of obstacles that have been put in the clubs way leading up to and during this season. Yet there's people who want the manager out because we've lost to probably the best team in the league and drew with Swindon. I get that people don't like the performances, but that's all part of the larger issues we've had. The entitlement since Sandgaard came in is astonishing. It will take time for us to to rebuild as a club, we might not go up this season and it might not always look pretty, but the knives coming out for Bowyer off a few dodgy decisions and the fact we're not pissing a league that we apparently 'deserve' to get promoted from is uncomfortable. Hopefully in January Schwarz can hit the ground running and we can get some pace to take the pressure off the defence and things suddenly won't look so bad. Bowyer can definitely help by making some more logical decisions but playing Maatsen and LB and our worst CB isn't going to fix the combination of injuries and the legacy of bad club management that Lee and the club have to deal with every step of the way. Chill. It'll be ok.
    You make some good points @Garrymanilow but I just don’t think you can justify the starting back four line up. I wondered if the Matthews decision was to stop a winger cutting inside too, but we saw last week that we lose so much from him being there for very little gain. If Matthews had two feet, you’d have a point, but he’s totally right footed, so reducing the threat of the winger cutting inside would just be cancelled out by him being able to go down the outside. Matthews’ lack of left foot also meant that any break down the left is immediately nullified by him having to check back and play square or backwards. Every single time. I said earlier that I feel sorry for Matthews, because he’s a better player than this, but he should never play at left back.

• Not a happy bunny 
    Unprofessional to post such a message, blah blah BUT in this case I can't blame him
  • edited January 2021
    I don't want Lee Bowyer out.

I hope he stays until the end of the season and Thomas Sandgaard and whoever he turns to in football matters assesses; did Lee get the best out of the squad at his disposal ?

But when I can't understand his tactics.
    When it seems the players can't understand his tactics and also the members on CL who have an understanding of various football formations and what you should expect, then Lee Bowyer is losing respect.

Early in the second half, Matthews and Maatsen started going past defenders as they were back on their natural side.

It was so obvious, that my dear old Mum who I couldn't see today on her Birthday, would have spotted the faux Pas.

Baffled from the Surrey hills. 

• paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    stonemuse said:
    Respect your opinion, but to make that comment surely requires an explanation why you think it?. What has bowyer done so well not to judged on recent decisions and results. Completely forgetting sentiment in your answer.
    We’re in 6th place. 
    At the moment, would you currently say 6th looking up or 6th looking behind our backs? Based on current decisions and form.?
    Obviously on current form it’s not looking good  (16th in form table for both last 5 and 10 games). But isn’t it showing something that we’re 16th in those form tables and still managed to hang on to a play off position. We’re above Hull in one of those form tables yet they’ve hung on to an automatic finish. 

This league is about consistency, it has been for all the years we’ve been here before. We’re on poor form, I don’t believe that will last much longer. 

I’ll judge Bowyer on the full season and I believe he should stay as manager for its entirety.

Ok fair point, agree with a lot of what you say. But also slightly deflecting away from the fact a lot of our problems are self inflicted mainly from bowyer.for the moment he probably deserves to cling on and turn it around, but he also cannot be exempt from criticism.
  • MattF said:
    MattF said:

Yeah, had assumed it would end as soon as the window opened and Transfermarkt have his loan ending on the 1st Jan
    Non league loans can be broken anytime, we could have recalled him if we wanted to
  • PWR for the first time ever.

What an utter load of old tosh.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:
    I think it should be the majority on this thread seem to want him out. I generally don't post and just read, but I have to say getting Bowyer out in my opinion is not the answer. We've been on a bit of a bad run but we are still in the Top 6. I trust Bowyer will get it right and I think he deserves the time to get it right. Painting with a broad brush, including the poor run of games we currently find ourselves in I still think the positives outweigh the negatives with Bowyer and I for one think getting rid now is totally the wrong decision. 
  • MattF said:
    MattF said:

Non league loans can be broken anytime, we could have recalled him if we wanted to
    I know that, but that's irrelevant now it's January and his loan is due to expire anytime now, the question is whether we extend it or not
  • Talal said:
    stonemuse said:
    I think the majority of Charlton Life want Bowyer to play players in the correct positions. 
    It’s amazing how all the Curbs revisionists completely forget the days he played right backs at left back, wide midfielders on the wrong wings, centre defenders as centre forwards, strikers out wide, four narrow central midfielders across the midfield with no width. 
    Yeah, in the Prem when we were underdogs and trying to nick results from teams with far superior resources.
    And he liked to sign a player who was capable of playing 2 positions well.

There was the Powell/Konchesky combo for a while and Kish as midfield destroyer. The 3 x CMs but together with a wide midfielder also.
    And sometimes he'd pick an 'inverted' winger or get him to swap sides mid-match.

But to a greater or lesser degree these tactics were effective and garnered sufficient points to ensure our stay in the Prem.
    But that wasn't so much Curbs way of thinking beforehand in the 2nd tier during the 90s and our promotion sides .... we had proper defenders, midfielders, strikers playing usually in their own positions.

• edited January 2021
    For some perspective, we have played 65 league games over this season and last. We have won 21 of those. 7 of those came before Christmas of the 2019/20 season, our form then collapsed, and we only won 5 going forward.

My concern is that the same is happening this season, where we start the season well before losing form drastically 

• Not a happy bunny 
    Unprofessional to post such a message, blah blah BUT in this case I can't blame him
    Think he is also on about his time at Hull where he hardly played. 
  • We may currently be 6th but there are 3 teams that can overtake us with their game(s) in hand 
    You're talking shit :D
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Bowyer played a right back at left back; a left back at right mid; a centre mid at centre half who then got sent off for falling for the bait and kicking out (he's 35 for god's sake); Omar Bogle; left our most creative midfielder/s on the bench; and set us up with no creativity whatsoever.

My mood has shifted over the last month and I want to see a fresh approach, be that with or without Bowyer. 

In the short term, it is a simple fix. Play a normal formation with players in the right positions. Dominate lesser teams: Amos; Matthews; Pearce; Deji; Maatsen, then a midfield of JFC; Morgan; Williams; and Maddison; Schwartz/Aneke and Washington up top. Impose our will on a team and just brief the defenders to twat the ball miles away from our final third and that will be that.

We are desperately short of positivity right now.
    Excellent post @paddy@PaddyP17 and sums up my thoughts.

Only caveat being I want us to keep Bowyer so hopefully he will learn from today..if not then will probably change view.

Surely he'll self reflect. Really can't understand the bizarre playing players massively out of position when it's so unnecessary and leaving 2 of our best game changing players like Williams and Masdison out. 

Big few weeks ahead and hopefully Bowyer will turn it around.