Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Hull City v Charlton | Sat 02 Jan 2021

1192021222325»

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    J BLOCK said:
    A loss against Accrington and the heat is seriously on Bowyer
    Bowyer is on a lose-lose situation with a few people on here for Friday.

Lose and it’ll be ranting and get rid.
    Draw and it’ll probably be slightly similar. 
    Win and it’ll be “well we should be beating teams like Accrington”,
    So are you saying Charlton shouldn't be beating teams like Accrington, who struggled to get 1,000 supporters in L2 recently? 

Blimey some think we should be established in the Premier League and others think we should think ourselves fortunate if we can beat Accrington (who are they) Stanley.
    I’m saying that as of this season, we don’t have the right to say we should be beating them. We’re in the same league as them THIS year. Part of the excitement outside the PL is that anyone can beat anyone each week. 
    Right, but by that logic we CAN beat absolutely anyone in this league. We should not be setting up an ultra conservative defensive must not lose approach against the likes of Accrington Stanley. 

If we lose to a better team then that's fine, it happens. If we sacrifice all attacking intent and excitement and lose anyway, that's another story entirely.
    The original conversation had nothing to do with formation etc. I was responding to someone implying we should beat Accrington because they were achieving 1k crowds in league 2. I 
  • edited January 2021
    I'm guessing he meant Oshilaja on the bench and not Famewo.

Other than that a very fair report of a very unsatisfactory afternoon.
  • For those bemoaning Bowyers choice of playing players out of position... Going forward can they provide actual analysis ahead of games as to how the opposition play, what their strengths and weaknesses are and then how we should line up?

Play players in position is probably the most armchair comment I can ever read!!

Bowyer has already said that he played Matthews on the left today because whenever Wilks has played this season, thats the flank he's gone down, he did it last season too which is why Oshilaja was played Left-Back and was why I knew that Matthews would play out there, its basic stuff!! - Of course that didnt happen yesterday because Hull themselves arent going to just sit back and let us do what we want (Do these armchair fans realise that the opposition come with their own game plan?), now I know the response straight away will be: "So why didnt Bowyer change it up the moment that was obvious"... But my response is, why should we have to adapt to the opposition, apart from one frustrating deflection they werent better than us yesterday and had it not been for Bogle's air kick we'd have gone in at 1-1, but of course thats Bowyer's fault too isnt it!!

Seriously armchair fans always make me think of the Battle of Austerlitz... The Austrians and Russians put together a plan to beat the French and put that plan into action... The French absolutely annihalated them because not once did the opposition Generals think that Napoleon would do his own thing and stuck to their plan throughout - People on here say; play Williams, play Maddison blah blah blah, but dont think for a second as to what will happen if the opposition suss those two out from the start and make them as effective as a feather!!

Second Half, Bowyer has changed it up and its benefited us a bit more, until one of his players has had the attitute of a five year old getting himself sent off which has pretty much ended the game

Then to make things even more laughable there have been complaints on here asking why Bowyer hasnt been calling out the more senior players, why do the likes of Pratley and Watson get away with mistakes all the time when its Williams that gets called out in the post match press conference - Yesterday; Bowyer calls out Pratley for the stupid red card and is now called out on here for slagging off more players!! 
    The justification of using Matthews at LB is to match up, the justification of not abandoning this is that we shouldn't match up. Then at half time you accept that changing it was the correct decision.

Surely this is a defence of the indefensible, proven to be indefensible by the defence meant to defend it?
  • The joy of a site like this is that we all have differing football opinions. It would be boring otherwise. We need to respect those that we may disagree with as well as respect their opinions. That is a big reason why we love the game. Debating tactics and formations with mates etc...

I recall in early October I voiced the opinion, not that Bowyer should be sacked, but he shouldn't have a free pass this season. My position was whilst I credited him with promotion, I also blamed him for our relegation. You then get ridiculous posts from posters trying to belittle your view and LOL what you say. It seems there has been a tide moving towards that view but whatever side you are on, we should debate but not take the mick.

FA knows his stuff and makes his points in the right way. I disagree with him in this instance, but it doesn't make him wrong. By all means we should say why we think he is wrong, but not make it personal.  
    Well he called me an idiot for holding that view about relegation but as I said at the time, his view of me is an irrelevance but I would say, if you don’t want it back, don’t give it out, however right u think u are - it’s all opinions 
  • edited January 2021
    The joy of a site like this is that we all have differing football opinions. It would be boring otherwise. We need to respect those that we may disagree with as well as respect their opinions. That is a big reason why we love the game. Debating tactics and formations with mates etc...

I recall in early October I voiced the opinion, not that Bowyer should be sacked, but he shouldn't have a free pass this season. My position was whilst I credited him with promotion, I also blamed him for our relegation. You then get ridiculous posts from posters trying to belittle your view and LOL what you say. It seems there has been a tide moving towards that view but whatever side you are on, we should debate but not take the mick.

FA knows his stuff and makes his points in the right way. I disagree with him in this instance, but it doesn't make him wrong. By all means we should say why we think he is wrong, but not make it personal.  
    To be fair I was equally to blame at time for stoking the flames yesterday, especially as Doucher says by using "idiot" and "armchair fans" when I probably could have phrased things better
  • The joy of a site like this is that we all have differing football opinions. It would be boring otherwise. We need to respect those that we may disagree with as well as respect their opinions. That is a big reason why we love the game. Debating tactics and formations with mates etc...

To be fair I was equally to blame at time for stoking the flames yesterday, especially as Doucher says by using "idiot" and "armchair" when I probably could have phrased things better
    No problem - anybody who puts time and effort into this forum is well in credit 
  • DOUCHER said:
    The joy of a site like this is that we all have differing football opinions. It would be boring otherwise. We need to respect those that we may disagree with as well as respect their opinions. That is a big reason why we love the game. Debating tactics and formations with mates etc...

To be fair I was equally to blame at time for stoking the flames yesterday, especially as Doucher says by using "idiot" and "armchair" when I probably could have phrased things better
    No problem - anybody who puts time and effort into this forum is well in credit 
    Thanks - Equally I feel like I should ever deserve a free pass because of it
  • Great, we don't need to go at each others throats. Bowyer Out!  ;)
  • edited January 2021
    Pudds said:
    @ken_shabby

Edit Shrewsbury and put in Wimbledon.

That was the game, we should've had the boost, after scoring four 2nd half goals.
    But even in that game, our 4th came straight after a defensive sub and that was due to a cock up by AFC.

If their defender cleared that properly and the 4th hadn't come, we would have been 1 goal up with the below team (3 attackers a midfielder and 6 defensive players:

Amos
    Gunter
    Pearce
    Pratley
    Maatsen
    Purrington
    Watson
    Forster-Caskey
    Williams
    Aneke
    Washington

Having scored the 4th, Bows swapped Oshi for Washington, meaning we finished with 2 attackers, 1 midfielder and 7 defensive players.

Yes again we went on to score, but we "thumped" Wimbledon inspite of Bowyers final 2 subs rather than because of them.

On paper you were correct that the "normal' position of players were 7 defensive players on the field but in the Wimbledon game Purrington spent more time attacking and he started and finished the move for the 5th goal. For what ever reason, the Narrative is Ben is no good getting forward?
    I disagree, the main problem is Ben's lack of pace as a defender.

I think losing  the dressing room is a misnomer: players have self interest and you lose players respect on an individual bases. 

Williams, Oshilaja, and Maddison to name just 3 who may have the hump with Lee.

Losing the dressing room is a cliché.
    But losing the respect of the players can increase when they don't feel you have their back.

Beware Lee, once your credit runs out with players and Supporters a difficult job becomes impossible.

I want to judge Lee Bowyer at the end of season but this half term report is we are mediocre in a very mediocre League 1.
    6th is fine overall but we took 18 from 6 early doors and our form now is of a team that is mid League 1 at best.

We must do better.
  • Sponsored links:

• BFG94 said:
    I am I am a big Bowyer fan but that does not mean he is above criticism. Simply cannot understand playing people out of position and refusing to start games with Maddison.
    Maddison has been injured for a goodly part of his time with us and even when notionally 'fit' he has not been fit enough to play for 90 minutes. Therefore, as with Chuks, is it better to play him for his impact against tiring defenders? 
  • LenGlover said:
    BFG94 said:
    I am I am a big Bowyer fan but that does not mean he is above criticism. Simply cannot understand playing people out of position and refusing to start games with Maddison.
    Maddison has been injured for a goodly part of his time with us and even when notionally 'fit' he has not been fit enough to play for 90 minutes. Therefore, as with Chuks, is it better to play him for his impact against tiring defenders? 
    How do you know Maddison is not fit enough to play 90 minutes?
    It seems to me he gets subbed so Bowyer can bring a defender on.
  • Ever noticed how under Bowyer, any sort of creative player becomes magically incapable of playing 90 minutes? 
  • LenGlover said:
    BFG94 said:
    How do you know Maddison is not fit enough to play 90 minutes?
    It seems to me he gets subbed so Bowyer can bring a defender on.
    He might be fit enough now, possibly, to play 90 minutes but he has not been fit to play either 90 minutes or even at all during most of his time with us.
  • We can play 5 subs so you can play Maddison and Williams and when/if they tire, they can be replaced.