Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Hull City v Charlton | Sat 02 Jan 2021

Comments

• 10 points from 9 games replicated over a full season is 51 points and I’ve just checked and 5th bottom and safety has been 50 points or less over the last few seasons .
    So we’re not going down anytime soon .
  • Of course we are not going down. I don't fear that, but I do fear not going up. Some people defending Bowyer are assessing the squad as being weaker than I believe it is. As another poster pointed out, we find ourselves, due to injuries, where defence is a weakness where it was recently a strength. What you have to do when that is the case is compensate elsewhere.
  • Loyalty is certainly a quality in life but I'm not sure it works the same for football. Curbs said yesterday that he improved the team by being less loyal. Leicester remarkably won the league after sacking Pearson and appointing Ranieri and sacked him soon after. They are doing ok not being loyal.

England stuck loyally with Hodgson and we did crap in three major championships. Where did the loyalty help there?  
  • Loyalty is certainly a quality in life but I'm not sure it works the same for football. Curbs said yesterday that he improved the team by being less loyal. Leicester remarkably won the league after sacking Pearson and appointing Ranieri and sacked him soon after. They are doing ok not being loyal.

England stuck loyally with Hodgson and we did crap in three major championships. Where did the loyalty help there?  
     Case in point, our first season in the Prem.

Curbs was far too loyal to the likes of Keith Jones and Shaun Newton when it was clear early on they were never up to it. I guess he felt he owed them. He never made that mistake again.
  • 2 top posts in this thread @scoham
  • Of course we are not going down. I don't fear that, but I do fear not going up. Some people defending Bowyer are assessing the squad as being weaker than I believe it is. As another poster pointed out, we find ourselves, due to injuries, where defence is a weakness where it was recently a strength. What you have to do when that is the case is compensate elsewhere.
    Ive doubted whether we'd go up from the very beginning... Too much disruption off the field, a squad put together late (would be curious to know how many players we signed compared to others after our takeover got completed), not to mention one hindered by the Salary Cap which meant we've had to rely on signings like Bogle etc. 
    So whilst we may differ on the manager, I am more optimistic than you are about the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    If you have managed at some capacity or not it doesn't matter to me. I know if I was appointed Charlton manager, I would be a disaster. But we do sell ourselves a bit short as fans sometimes. If you watch games for a long time, I have been doing so before Bowyer was born, you do pick up on certain things. You can easily gain an insight as when something is wrong and something is right.

For instance, I know the best approach when we played Sheffield Wednesday, a team at the time that was bereft of any confidence, was to have a go at them. I know that yesterday was a perfect game for a player like Maddison, coming off the back of a MOTM performance with something to prove against his old club. I know that if you sit back on a lead when opponents go for broke, you will lose more points than you gain. I don't have to be a football manager to know that, I just have to have had enough experience of watching the game. 
    Hear, hear!

I've seen charlton play live about 1100 times. Throw in live matches I've watched on the TV and it must be about 1300.

Now I know I would be a disaster as a manager but I think I've watched enough football to have a fair idea of tactics. For example, playing a right footed player at left back, or vice versa, hardly ever works well. It neutralises much attacking threat down that side as a player playing on the wrong side always has to come inside and can't get to the touchline to whip in a dangerous cross. You don't need to be a manager to see that. 

Matthews is a good right back. At left back he is like a fish out of water. Playing him there when there are other options is absurd. 
    Not much of a surprise to see the normally ever-dependable Matthews at fault for the 2nd goal - defending a cross from the right which is meat and drink to him normally. Problem is he'd adjusted to defending from the other side of late and these mistakes are only natural to a player. 

The RB at LB experiment should have ended once Deji gave away a soft penalty playing there last season. Morgan was blamed for that goal as didn't follow the runner, but where is the learning.

So Matthews is at fault for the goal because he forgot how to play right back !!?? 
    Ive doubted whether we'd go up from the very beginning... Too much disruption off the field, a squad put together late (would be curious to know how many players we signed compared to others after our takeover got completed), not to mention one hindered by the Salary Cap which meant we've had to rely on signings like Bogle etc. 
    So whilst we may differ on the manager, I am more optimistic than you are about the squad.
    I don't get why people are so pesomistic about the quality of the squad.

In terms of course and distance and pedigree is better than Powell's sqaud and our last promotion winning one.

Obviously it's not perfect, far from it, but this isn't the squad of Abbotts, Bensons, Crofts, Foleys and Seabourns that some seem to think. 
  • Absolutely staggered how willingly trigger happy people are. Embarrassing given how fawning most supporters were of him up to a few weeks ago. Football has got so short-termism it’s unreal.

Thank god the Internet wasn’t such a thing for Curbs when he went 8 games without a point, 13 games without a win. Pretty sure we would be told now he hasn’t a clue, had lost the dressing room etc.

Our current form in that comparative 13 game period?

6 wins 
    4 draws
    3 defeats

During a unique national crisis, and accompanying injury crisis. 

Embarrassing lack of loyalty to Bowyer and Jackson. They deserve better support than that and I’m gutted it appears we’re collectively not tuned that way. I thought we were.
    Give this man a promote.
    How many Promotes can one man take for gods sake ;)
    I'd be content with one tbh.
    Begging'll get you nowhere Elfsborg :)
  • JonT_Abs said:
    Not calling for the sack ...but does feel like the beginning of the end for LB. 

Its all been said above. There were red flags last season that, given the amount of credit he was in and the general situation, were quite rightly overlooked. 

It was all so simple at the start. 2 players for every position. Everyone knows their job. Now backup players, known quantities, are no longer good enough to be called upon and our left back is playing right mid (to nulify the oppo!?) and keeping our best attacking players out of the starting lineup. 

When we do find ourselves in front we revert to a back six for the last 20 min and almost without exception end up conceding ....against shit teams who can't belive their luck.  

And of course its always the fault of specific players. Ive stopped reading/watching Bowyers post match comments as he sounds more deluded every week.  
    Spot on.
  • edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Of course we are not going down. I don't fear that, but I do fear not going up. Some people defending Bowyer are assessing the squad as being weaker than I believe it is. As another poster pointed out, we find ourselves, due to injuries, where defence is a weakness where it was recently a strength. What you have to do when that is the case is compensate elsewhere.

In terms of course and distance and pedigree is better than Powell's sqaud and our last promotion winning one.

Obviously it's not perfect, far from it, but this isn't the squad of Abbotts, Bensons, Crofts, Foleys and Seabourns that some seem to think. 
    No pre-season to work on shape and tactics?

People will bemoan friendly results when we lose but its an opportunity for a Manager to figure out what works and doesnt

For large parts of the season its been from one game to the next with rest and recovery the focus rather than working on actual tactics

Ironically though our bad run of form has combined with the fact that we've had a few less midweek games

Of course as we know from recent interviews that Bowyer has apparently been trying to work on the attacking side of the team

But its not like he's got a pre-season friendly to play with where he can put out a squad that doesnt have to worry about the result if it goes wrong... I know we're entering a period of fixture congestion again but if a game gets cancelled due to COVID again, perhaps it would be a good idea to find another team that have had their game called off for similar reasons (yet who arent having to self-isolate) where we can have a behind closed doors game against someone to try a new approach with whatever Bowyer's ideal attacking team is.
  • I'm confident that at least 99% of Charlton fans will always love Bowyer, but he's not beyond criticism.
    I’m not saying he is, i don’t think a single person has said he is. I’m talking about sacking him. 
    I certainly want him to turn it around, but something seems to have changed.
    He's looked more under pressure in the past 5 or 6 weeks than any other period under his time with us. Which is amazing when you consider the shit he's been dealt for the past three years.

But maybe he thrives on the previous  situations? There was no real expectation.

And as there are no fans in the ground I can only think that pressure is coming from above?
    It might just be a coincidence, but the change in vibe from Bowyer seems to date back to Ged Roddy showing up.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Given the history that we all know - the fact that the squad was assembled at the last minute on a shoestring, the lack of a pre-season, the ownership shenanigans and whatever the hell we do in training that injures people. All of that I can handle. I can understand that this squad of deadbeats, crocks and cheapos might not be good enough to get promotion, albeit from a league that a bunch of us 50 something crocks could have a decent go at not finishing last in if we put a team together. I can handle just not being good enough under the circs. 

What I’m struggling to handle is the fact that I’ve no idea how good or bad this team could be. The constant tinker man selections, square pegs in round holes, the untouchable four, the defensive set up. All of those are killing whatever chance this motley crew could have.  Just pick something akin to the following:

Amos, Gunter, Oshilaja, Pearce, Maatsen, Morgan, Gilbey, Maddison, Williams, Smyth, Aneke.  

I don’t care if that’s the actual 11. I just want 11 players from this ample squad (ample in terms of numbers if not quality) in their correct positions week in week out injury permitting with instructions to go out there and try to score.  If we’re no good then fine, I refer to the opening couple of paragraphs. We’d all deal with just being shite. We’ve got used to it over the last decade. But FFS give ourselves a chance. This is self neutering of almost suicidal proportions. Lee worked wonders with backs against the wall but, I’ll wager with a squad that is light years ahead of this one in terms of quality. But at least give this lot a fighting chance. 
    Spot on. And self-neutering is a brilliant description.
  • edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Of course we are not going down. I don't fear that, but I do fear not going up. Some people defending Bowyer are assessing the squad as being weaker than I believe it is. As another poster pointed out, we find ourselves, due to injuries, where defence is a weakness where it was recently a strength. What you have to do when that is the case is compensate elsewhere.

People will bemoan friendly results when we lose but its an opportunity for a Manager to figure out what works and doesnt

For large parts of the season its been from one game to the next with rest and recovery the focus rather than working on actual tactics

Ironically though our bad run of form has combined with the fact that we've had a few less midweek games

Of course as we know from recent interviews that Bowyer has apparently been trying to work on the attacking side of the team

But its not like he's got a pre-season friendly to play with where he can put out a squad that doesnt have to worry about the result if it goes wrong... I know we're entering a period of fixture congestion again but if a game gets cancelled due to COVID again, perhaps it would be a good idea to find another team that have had their game called off for similar reasons (yet who arent having to self-isolate) where we can have a behind closed doors game against someone to try a new approach with whatever Bowyer's ideal attacking team is.
    But that's not an argument about what I am saying.  No one had a proper preseason. 

Yes we were disadvantaged by the fact we got relegated, as late as possible and lost most of our squad.  As is normal.  That was then compounded by the embargo. 

The point I am making is are players aren't "shit", to the extent some people are making out.  Its not a team of has beens or never were. As the case has been over previous non successful league 1 seasons of the recent past.

Almost all our players are in the 25-32 range where they should be at their peek.  All of them have played at a higher level, bar Levitt and its unfair to include him.

With the exception of Maatsen, Doughty, Watson and Gunter they have all been promoted or got transfers to Championship clubs from there league 1 (2 in Bogle's case) performances.  And Gunter and Watson had played over 1000 games between them before they dropped down to this level.

It's not the last minute bargain basement rag tag and bobtail motley crew so make out. 
    Not trying to argue with anyone, just dont think its as black and white

No one had a proper pre-season but I do wonder how many squads were largely complete by the time the season had largely started, us on the other hand just had one senior CB and one senior LB

Friendlies were played etc. as well so whilst it wasnt a full pre-season to work on fitness, the opportunity to work on tactics / shape was there

Even Charlton played three friendlies before starting League One (seven last year), we just didnt have the team that we do now to work on things

Yet those around us in the League either played four / five games with a squad that was largely complete... Peterborough on the other hand played eight games
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

But that's not an argument about what I am saying.  No one had a proper preseason. 

Yes we were disadvantaged by the fact we got relegated, as late as possible and lost most of our squad.  As is normal.  That was then compounded by the embargo. 

The point I am making is are players aren't "shit", to the extent some people are making out.  Its not a team of has beens or never were. As the case has been over previous non successful league 1 seasons of the recent past.

Almost all our players are in the 25-32 range where they should be at their peek.  All of them have played at a higher level, bar Levitt and its unfair to include him.

With the exception of Maatsen, Doughty, Watson and Gunter they have all been promoted or got transfers to Championship clubs from there league 1 (2 in Bogle's case) performances.  And Gunter and Watson had played over 1000 games between them before they dropped down to this level.

It's not the last minute bargain basement rag tag and bobtail motley crew so make out. 
    Not trying to argue with anyone, just dont think its as black and white

No one had a proper pre-season but I do wonder how many squads were largely complete by the time the season had largely started, us on the other hand just had one senior CB and one senior LB

Friendlies were played etc. as well so whilst it wasnt a full pre-season to work on fitness, the opportunity to work on tactics / shape was there

Even Charlton played three friendlies before starting League One (seven last year), we just didnt have the team that we do now to work on things
    Some fair points, but look at the team we put out against Sunderland at either end of the 18/19 season.  I think only 4 players started both.

How much time did we have to work on things then?  Preseason friendlies didn't make much difference to that did it?

The run of six games papered over a lot of cracks. We didn't play well in most of them.  Then came the international break, when Bowyer said they worked on shape etc and since then we have got worse.  Significantly worse. 

We are nearly 20 games into a season and none of us have a clue what Bowyer thinks is his best side or what his preference of formation is.

We were missing 5 players yesterday through injury or suspension.  Hull were missing 6 through Covid alone.  

But its a ready made excuse for Friday that that will increase to 7.
  • my god that was a hard watch. Game was over when we went behind tbh. Or possibly over before we kicked a ball, with another bizarre team selection. As someone else said on p1, that’s the kind of performance that gets managers the sack. Felt like bowyer was trying to prove a point by sticking with Matthews at LB. well, that fucked up again! We had two left backs in the squad ffs, one who has been a minor revelation this season too! But he was on the right wing...you couldn’t make this up. Pratley again at centre half while Deji sits it out on the bench? The slowest centre half pairing since dailly and docherty lol. Crap. Pratleys sending off was a joke. What was he doing? And laughing about it afterwards didn’t impress me tbh. And poor old bogle. That was one of the shittest centre forward displays I’ve ever witnessed. Was prepared to give him a chance, but he is just so far out of his depth it’s embarrassing. Someone put him out of his misery for God’s sake. Makes the decision to flog bonne a mystery. Especially as we were promised proper replacements by Gallen and Bowyer. We desperately need reinforcements, and bowyer needs to Go back to basics, pick a settled side and decide on an actual tactic. Getting Maddison on the pitch would be a start if we’re serious abt trying to get promoted this season
  • I mentioned in an earlier post that if i was Sandgaard i'd potentially be looking at how the 6 games go between now and January. 4 of those are at home. Only 2 of the 6 games are against sides in the top half.

So here's a question. If (for arguments sake) we won just 1 of those 6, picked up a couple of draws and lost 3, taking 5 points which would then be 15 points from 15 games, where would people sit with sacking him?

For me personally i don't want him sacked now, but if things haven't improved by the end of January, i'd say he'd have to go.

• The missing player at the bottom is Zyro.