Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Hull City v Charlton | Sat 02 Jan 2021

Comments

• Bowyer will be given until next October, he will get the summer to do a full pre seasons business and if it doesn’t work out by October he will be gone, part of me thinks he needs a full hand like Powell was given by Jiminez and Slater.
    At last, somebody else being sensible.
  • edited January 2021
    Bowyer will be given until next October, he will get the summer to do a full pre seasons business and if it doesn’t work out by October he will be gone, part of me thinks he needs a full hand like Powell was given by Jiminez and Slater.
    At last, somebody else being sensible.
    Its sensible, but no amount of pre season or having a full window stops these crazy decisions, defensive lineups, playing people out of position and constantly trying to defend leads.

I desperately hope things come together and he's still manager next season when we all return to The Valley, but atm being optimistic isn't easy.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Yesterday was abysmal. However, Bowyer has earned the right to have this January window under Sandgaard. Not many wanted him out before the 2 centre halves got injured. We need some patience here...
    So, how long does Bowyer get? A week after the end of the window? That prevents a new face making his mark on the signings.

To the end of the season? That could blow any chance of promotion based on current form and team set up and selection.

I would love Bowyer to turn it around and perhaps he will. Based on current evidence, I'm afraid that I don't see it though.

Given the ambitions Thomas has voiced, I'd be surprised if he allows Bowyer to continue for much longer if there is no change in approach. 
    Do you think another manager could come in and get us up this season ? 
    Yes.   Do you think anyone else could have done much worse, with the players available, over the last 2 months? 
    I appreciate we are in a bad run. Losing the 2 centre halves has been a disaster. But I think this talk of Bowyer going is premature, just my opinion 
    When does a bad run become more than that?

Of course losing the center halves isn't great but we weren't playing well when they were in the team either. 

Obviously you can't blame Bowyer for getting relegated, even without the ESI situation, staying up would have been a massive achievement.  But how many times in 2020 did we play well? 

I ask that because in 2019, even with a U21 side, well played well even when we didn't win.   We even played well in games we lost. 

When your playing badly and losing people look on things more critically, even retrospectively.  Bizarre team selection, strange substitutions, publicly slagging players off, freezing players out etc all gets forgotten when your winning. 

If you look back the signs were there before the Covid break.  It's not an overnight issue. 

• shine166 said:
    Love Bowyer, but if hes given until the end of the season and we dont finish in the playoffs, he has to go. I know we got hammered by injuries last season, but his decision making was awful and we dropped endless points that would have kept us up. 

TS arrived and demanded attacking football and promotion, neither of which are happening. Still plenty of games to go though, need a good jan and not to lose any more players 
    Sandgaard has given two seasons for promotion. Hopefully he'll stick to his words and give Bowyer time.
    Loyalty and stability has long gone and made football the mess it is now.
    Shut up
    Where's the flag button?
  • Again it's the lack of confidence in the players and setting up to negate the other teams play. We have a top league one squad with the odd player who on their day could be mid/lower championship show a bit of faith in them.

Since around the mid point of last season this mentality has taken over Bowyer, a lack of a "plan B" when the main man is out,  a sort of "well it's not gonna plan out how I wanted, so just don't lose" as soon as we lost the pace of Doughty and Smyth on the left that's pretty much how it's been this season.

Picking the odd player out of position for tactical reasons sure it happens, but 4 players is too many especially when you have ones better suited to the formation, or even, better players suited to a better formation you can play.

Midfield diamond, 3CB, 433. Three formations that Bowyer has used a lot the first 2 being his original go to before the change this season to 433.

Amos
    Gunter Oshilaja Pearce Maatsen
                          Watson
                      Morgan JFC 
                         Williams
                Washington Bogle

Amos
           Pratley Oshilaja Pearce
    Matthews                     Maatsen
                      Watson JFC
                        Williams
               Washington Bogle

Amos
    Gunter Oshilaja Pearce Maatsen
              Gilbey Pratley JFC
     Madison Washington Smyth

Amos
    Gunter Pratley Pearce Matthews
     Maatsen Watson JFC Morgan
             Washington Bogle

I know which of these I prefer the look of...

Would we have won, maybe maybe not, but we would have looked better as we did once we changed yesterday.

And no, I don't think playing Oshilaja is going to send us to the top of the table or stop us conceding, but it'll give us better balance than playing an aging midfielder there, especially one that's been pretty kamikaze the last few games.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Read the bit about Pratley’s suspension and it costing us.  I actually think it’s a blessing in disguise.  I’ve not been impressed with the fact he seems to be first name on the team sheet every week and I think it will force Bowyer to play Oshilaja at the back with Pearce.  Might not be the best centre back pairing in the world, but Oshilaja gives us a bit of bite and pace.  

The Malik Wilks comment about playing on the right just epitomises the cautious negative football we seem to be playing at the moment.  We’re sacrificing players in their normal positions for the sake of trying to nullify an opposing player.  It’s too convoluted.  As others have said, trust that your players are capable enough and let them deal with it.  The whole team gets thrown into a positional bingo game on account of us worrying about Wilks ffs.  He’s a decent player, but he’s not Messi.  The whole thing just screams weakness on our part that we’re going to those lengths to nullify and not focus on what we need to do to win a game.  

The final point I’ve got is about the piss poor standard of the league.  I agree it’s bad, but when I read comments over and over again and see performances like the ones we’ve turned in over the last 10 games, I think, we’re right at home in it 
    Watson too - I doubt many teams have got promoted starting two 35 year old defensive midfielders in every game. Bowyer’s reluctance to give Morgan a run despite him offering creativity and mobility. It might also force him to start one of Maddison or Williams in every game.

Good to have experience in the squad, but neither are so good that they should always be guaranteed starters. It’s not as if this squad is as young as squads we’ve had in recent years, for one thing we’re playing fewer academy players.
    when it comes to our youth Bowyer seems to have no time for them.

I'm not saying these youngsters are the answer but the players who are in their position are hopeless so why not give them a go??
    Youngsters bring quick feet, energy and enthusiasm. Could be a breath of fresh air to a jaded team.

This is a really good point. I know it's a completely different level, but just look at how Arteta's persistence with the likes of Saka and Smith-Rowe is finally paying off. I listened to Saka's post-match interview last night and he said that him and the other 'youngsters' are buzzing for it, and how Arteta's faith and trust in them has really boosted their performance levels and confidence.

As I say, it's arguable a very tenuous comparison, but at the end of the day 'People are People' and are motivated by positivity and encouragement.
  • edited January 2021
    @ken_shabby

Edit Shrewsbury and put in Wimbledon.

That was the game, we should've had the boost, after scoring four 2nd half goals.
  • @ken_shabby

Edit Shrewsbury and put in Wimbledon.

That was the game, we should've had the boost, after scoring four 2nd half goals.
    That's what I meant - how could I forget who the opposition were the day we scored five ? B)
  • cabbles said:
    I don't rate Bogle, and that's not a new thing as I was wary about him when he signed. He was poor today.

However what I don't like is managers calling out players for missing a chance. Bowyer did it today with Bogle, and did it before with Bonne. Strikers don't score every chance, even the best miss chances. Watching Quest just now, the likes of Troy Deeney and Todd Cantwell both missed sitters, and it's hardly the way to get confidence in a player if they get hauled off and publicly bollocked after missing their one chance.
     He's digging a player out a week. Two today if you include Pratley.
    He is however reluctant to dig himself out.

It's not a good look and won't have gone unnoticed in the dressing room.
    I fear he may be running out of options.
    It is what it is as they say,and whether he likes it or not he needs the majority of this squad to get him out of the hole he's in. I doubt there will be many helping hands if he continues to slag them off.

To those thinking the transfer window will be our saviour. Do you really think Bowyer in his current mindset needs more players to tinker with?
    It’s taken Pratley getting sent off for him to finally get some sort of criticism.  I’m not saying I want Pratley to get criticised, but it seems to me Bowyer does have his targets and I don’t think he does it fairly.  Also, it’s not just about the criticism.  He embarrassed Williams by hauling him off after coming on as sub at Shrewsbury, only for Williams to respond with a goal and really decent performance as sub against AFC a week later.  Williams’ reward, to not start at all the following week against Swindon???

it’s a confrontational style of leadership and management, and there are volumes of qualified research and data into how that type of management is why employees leave workplaces in their droves.  I get a football club is a bit different, but the same principle applies.  People want to be inspired and motivated by leaders and managers in these times.  This is key.  Look at Klopp.  I’m not suggesting Bowyer can replicate Klopp, but the trend is for managers that inspire 
    Really interesting points, Cabbles. Bowyer's leadership style(s) manifest themselves as predominantly both transactional and autocratic. Both can be very impactful in the short-term, but not necessarily successful over a longer period of time.

A good leader, of course, is adaptable. They are able to adopt a leadership style that suits a certain 'situation'. Yes, they will have a preferred or intrinsic style of leadership, but being able to utilise a variety of styles on the leadership spectrum is the sign of a good leader. It's very difficult to do, especially if you are naturally suited to a style that sits at either end of the spectrum.
  • Sponsored links:

• The reason I want Bowyer gone is that I believe the squad is better than its recent results. I do accept 100% that we have suffered with key injuries but you adapt tactically around that. Or at least you try to.

I don't expect anybody to remember my position but up until the resumption from lockdown, I believed Bowyer was a great manager headed for the top. I supported him through the poor run we had last season because it was clear it was caused by a small squad and injuries. A couple of games stood out for me as managerial ineptness and they were Sheff Wednesday and Birmingham away and I believe these games cost us. But I also could see that it cost us what Bowyer had won us.

I have been holding off calling for him to go until now, but the repeated craziness of his ultra negative approach has just taken its toll. We are still well enough placed to get promoted and that creates a dilemma if you believe Bowyer is not going to maximise the possibility of promotion.

As for the claim that I don't know that Bowyer has lost the dressing room, or at least parts of it, I will say two things. Firstly, J Block, who is a trusted poster, has told us this from a playing source. It is absolutely right we don't know who that source is. Secondly, digging people out and not taking any blame yourself is a guaranteed way of doing this and that is what we have seen. You don't have to be a football genius to see Bowyer has been going about things the wrong way.

I don't see many defending his tactics. Just a few hoping he will change. I myself was hoping he would do so, but it is clear he won't. Had he picked a side that maximised the possibilities and failed, then it is the squad. Within parameters, as there will always be differences in team selection.  But generally, when you see the team it raises eyebrows and it has become more and more bizarre. When a manager drops the previous man of the match it is bizarre. Bowyer has done this twice in recent games.

For me, it is a question whether we risk writing off the season or not. Now Sandgaard is a breath of fresh air and ultimately the club will go forwards under his ownership. But he must be wondering what is going on and if he suspects Bowyer may be holding back the chance of an early promotion he will surely act. If as I feel is very likely, Bowyer has lost parts of the dressing room, then he has to as this never gets fixed when it happens. 

I am not for losing JJ, Gallen or anybody else. I think our recruitment is not an issue. Bowyer is responsible for these tactics, not anybody else.
    i don't always agree with you Mutley, but this is bang on  
  • Really getting pissed off with the amount of stick Bogle gets.Did he single handed lose that game yesterday,judging by whats being said on here ,it looks like it.Here is a man obviously short on confidence,but does he hide ,no,he is always showing for a pass,and nine times out of ten,this goes unnoticed because the ball is continually played sideways and backwards,by the time it is lumped up front too late.He is receiving the ball in non threatening positions,just look at the amount of times yesterday he got the ball just inside their half ,looked up for a team mate,nothing,all gone,so the ball gets lost.
    There are a lot of unanswered questions re team selection at the moment,and also the togetherness which was there a short while ago seems to have gone.Madison ,in my opinion should have started ,he could have got a load of early crosses in,which could have made a difference ,as it is ,other than corners,I do not remember one decent cross yesterday which was asking to be attacked .
  • cabbles said:
    I don't rate Bogle, and that's not a new thing as I was wary about him when he signed. He was poor today.

However what I don't like is managers calling out players for missing a chance. Bowyer did it today with Bogle, and did it before with Bonne. Strikers don't score every chance, even the best miss chances. Watching Quest just now, the likes of Troy Deeney and Todd Cantwell both missed sitters, and it's hardly the way to get confidence in a player if they get hauled off and publicly bollocked after missing their one chance.
     He's digging a player out a week. Two today if you include Pratley.
    He is however reluctant to dig himself out.

It's not a good look and won't have gone unnoticed in the dressing room.
    I fear he may be running out of options.
    It is what it is as they say,and whether he likes it or not he needs the majority of this squad to get him out of the hole he's in. I doubt there will be many helping hands if he continues to slag them off.

To those thinking the transfer window will be our saviour. Do you really think Bowyer in his current mindset needs more players to tinker with?
    It’s taken Pratley getting sent off for him to finally get some sort of criticism.  I’m not saying I want Pratley to get criticised, but it seems to me Bowyer does have his targets and I don’t think he does it fairly.  Also, it’s not just about the criticism.  He embarrassed Williams by hauling him off after coming on as sub at Shrewsbury, only for Williams to respond with a goal and really decent performance as sub against AFC a week later.  Williams’ reward, to not start at all the following week against Swindon???

it’s a confrontational style of leadership and management, and there are volumes of qualified research and data into how that type of management is why employees leave workplaces in their droves.  I get a football club is a bit different, but the same principle applies.  People want to be inspired and motivated by leaders and managers in these times.  This is key.  Look at Klopp.  I’m not suggesting Bowyer can replicate Klopp, but the trend is for managers that inspire 
    Really interesting points, Cabbles. Bowyer's leadership style(s) manifest themselves as predominantly both transactional and autocratic. Both can be very impactful in the short-term, but not necessarily successful over a longer period of time.

A good leader, of course, is adaptable. They are able to adopt a leadership style that suits a certain 'situation'. Yes, they will have a preferred or intrinsic style of leadership, but being able to utilise a variety of styles on the leadership spectrum is the sign of a good leader. It's very difficult to do, especially if you are naturally suited to a style that sits at either end of the spectrum.
    And of course, as we all know, when your under pressure you almost always revert to your default behaviour.  It's much easier to "blag it" when your not. 
  • Bogle couldn’t hit a banjo, let alone a cow’s arse with a banjo.
    Feel a bit sorry for him. 

Ok, he's not a great striker but lack of creativity from the rest of the team is making him look a lot worse. 

Time to recall Davison? In the few games he's played he's looked to me as good as anyone else we have at the moment and he offers the youthful enthusiasm we are currently lacking. May spur on the others to greater things?

• For what it’s worth, my opinion is that Bows is doing alright with a brand new squad that includes crap strikers. He’s still in credit but needs to improve once he gets Schwartz in. I’m a bit surprised at the playing players out of position too but as he’s said in the post match interview, he has a reason (at least!) 

Unless Eddie Howe fancies another project starting in the lower leagues, which I highly doubt, I’d leave Bows, Jacko and Gallen to do their thing.
    I think Danny makes a few good points here. I was raging about today's line-up and performance and Bowyer's persevering with tactics and players that aren't working. However, as fans we would be laughing at other clubs' fans looking to ditch their until now successful manager after a bumpy spell and be calling them bedwetters. The last thing we want is to start sacking managers prematurely, especially ones who have over-performed already in the job. 

We all know we have been terribly unlucky to lose Inniss and Famewo for so long and we were short up front from the off and with a salary cap.

Having said all that, we must have someone better than Bogle. He joined us with a chronically poor track record which he's battled hard to maintain. I won't pay to watch another stream if he's playing.
    One thing I say about other clubs fans.....they watch the games, they know the players & their best positions. They know when the manager gets it wrong or gets it right. Fans aren't fickle. They just KNOW. How many on here watch the streams of other clubs. I bet very very few. So when other fans ring up 606 or Talksport going on about their managers tactics and why x,y or z should be sacked I don't laugh at them or say they are stupid or "be careful what you wish for" because those fans go to games (pre Covid) or pay for live streams and they know what the manager should be doing. Fans aren't stupid. 
    In my opinion, fans are stupid if they want bowyer to leave when we’re in 6th place in a league where he has got us promoted before. 

I don’t believe having patience in bowyer is going to end up with us finishing mid table. Still have faith he’ll turn this form around. 
  • when williams and morgan played well at ipswich (the last time we played well, bar the second half against wimbledon when LB slipped up and put all our good attacking players on at once), the next game they were benched and out of nowhere came JFC - that is the moment i wondered whether there were issues with the dressing room and agenda's going on that maybe we aren't privy to - all will hopefully be revealed

• Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    For what it’s worth, my opinion is that Bows is doing alright with a brand new squad that includes crap strikers. He’s still in credit but needs to improve once he gets Schwartz in. I’m a bit surprised at the playing players out of position too but as he’s said in the post match interview, he has a reason (at least!) 

Unless Eddie Howe fancies another project starting in the lower leagues, which I highly doubt, I’d leave Bows, Jacko and Gallen to do their thing.
    I think Danny makes a few good points here. I was raging about today's line-up and performance and Bowyer's persevering with tactics and players that aren't working. However, as fans we would be laughing at other clubs' fans looking to ditch their until now successful manager after a bumpy spell and be calling them bedwetters. The last thing we want is to start sacking managers prematurely, especially ones who have over-performed already in the job. 

We all know we have been terribly unlucky to lose Inniss and Famewo for so long and we were short up front from the off and with a salary cap.

Having said all that, we must have someone better than Bogle. He joined us with a chronically poor track record which he's battled hard to maintain. I won't pay to watch another stream if he's playing.
    One thing I say about other clubs fans.....they watch the games, they know the players & their best positions. They know when the manager gets it wrong or gets it right. Fans aren't fickle. They just KNOW. How many on here watch the streams of other clubs. I bet very very few. So when other fans ring up 606 or Talksport going on about their managers tactics and why x,y or z should be sacked I don't laugh at them or say they are stupid or "be careful what you wish for" because those fans go to games (pre Covid) or pay for live streams and they know what the manager should be doing. Fans aren't stupid. 
    In my opinion, fans are stupid if they want bowyer to leave when we’re in 6th place in a league where he has got us promoted before. 

I don’t believe having patience in bowyer is going to end up with us finishing mid table. Still have faith he’ll turn this form around. 
    How long has this form lasted?  When was the last time we played well for 90, or even 60 minutes.

We weren't playing well when we were winning.  Everyone accepted that, it's a scratch team, they haven't had time to jell, they haven't had time on the training ground etc etc. 

Well the more time they have on the training ground they have the worse they get.  The more puzzling the team selections are.

If its a blip, who is your player of 2020?  Tricky isn't it.  You could probably have a short list of 5 or 6 for 2019. 
    Well the form people are moaning about this season currently has us in 6th place (aware that some teams around us have games in hand now).

I’m very happy with 6th place on 3rd January.  

Yes, my expectations for this season considering the mess we were in with owners, fake owners, embargo, missing wage cap, huge injuries are obviously lower than some people on here. I will continue to believe that bowyer shouldn’t be sacked for being in 6th place at this time. 
  • i'm surprised at your stance AFKA - this isn't a knee jerk thing on most people's part - this is a year long obsession with negative tactics that people are sick of - you may not want you're forum being partly responsible for the mounting pressure on bowyer but this tidal wave of opionion has been building for a year and without any inside info as to what the hell is behind LB's decisions, he appears to have lost the plot completely - and the dressing room. 
  • For what it’s worth, my opinion is that Bows is doing alright with a brand new squad that includes crap strikers. He’s still in credit but needs to improve once he gets Schwartz in. I’m a bit surprised at the playing players out of position too but as he’s said in the post match interview, he has a reason (at least!) 

The form is the main concern though. 10 points from 9 games. Leaking goals. Failed to beat Burton, Gillingham, Plymouth, Swindon, MK Dons and Shrewsbury. Why is he persisting with Pratley at CB, why is he playing Matthews at left back when we have a left back on the bench? Why is he playing a left back on the right of midfield? Why are our 2 most creative players sat on the bench? Why do players who do well get dropped for the next game? 

And yes we're 6th but Ipswich, Sunderland and Accrington can all go above us as they have games in hand.

It doesn’t mean they will go above us. The same as the teams above us may have thought we’d go above them with our games in hand. Even if those teams you mention do go above us, the worst case scenario is 9th on GD and 3 points from 6th. To me, that’s not a sackable offence. 
  • edited January 2021
    thenewbie said:
    I don't see TS pulling the trigger right before the transfer window. It's the first proper opportunity he's had to work with Bowyer and Gallen, and from what has been said publicly they are looking for some pace in attack and reinforcement in defence.

If they succeed in that (and Bowyer recalibrates his tactics accordingly) the season can still be saved - we can return to the tactics that bought success earlier on.

If for whatever reason this doesn't happen though, I expect Bowyer to go, probably at the end of the season. TS strikes me as the type to see this season as consolidation and clearing out (behind the scenes as well as on the pitch) and if that means a new management team for the start of next season, he'll not hold off.

This ^^^ all the wailing and gnashing of teeth isn’t going to serve any purpose other than to get it off your chest but each to their own. Thomas will pull the trigger as and when he’s ready. A baying mob won’t change that.

I’ve seen managers come and go over the last six decades, so I’d like to think I have a bit of past experience to call upon. Bowyer is now showing a lot of traits of someone who is under pressure to turn things round and has adopted a siege mentality of ‘it’s my way or the highway’. He has been in the game for 30 years, a winner, an England international, played at the highest level and under some top managers. He has an abundance of football knowledge far greater than us mere mortals. 

Some people have short memories, his dedication to the cause when this club was on its knees under the shysters should never be forgotten. Or that against the odds he took us into the play offs, after Gobinson bailed out and got us promoted the following season.

So he’s still in credit for me but the clock is ticking down for him he can’t live on past glories forever. Clearly the bulk of the squad which was cobbled together in about a fortnight in a September / October, was not good enough to withstand the injuries we’ve suffered. However team selections and tactics with the personnel at his disposal of late are firmly at his door.

We are still well placed to be in the mix for promotion and to my mind he’s entitled to have one more transfer window to see if he can change our fortunes. I’m sure it won’t be for the want of trying and don’t forget Thomas has said this is a 5 to 8 year, not an 8 MONTH plan, to become an established Premiership Club.

• Form broke down for the season so far. Obviously it’s not been great recently, but still see there’s enough signs with early on in season that there’s no need to panic in the first week of January. 

5 games - 6 points (16th place)
    10 games - 13 points (16th place)
    15 games - 28 points (4th place)
    19 games - 32 points (5th place) 
  • Absolutely staggered how willingly trigger happy people are. Embarrassing given how fawning most supporters were of him up to a few weeks ago. Football has got so short-termism it’s unreal.

Thank god the Internet wasn’t such a thing for Curbs when he went 8 games without a point, 13 games without a win. Pretty sure we would be told now he hasn’t a clue, had lost the dressing room etc.

Our current form in that comparative 13 game period?

6 wins 
    4 draws
    3 defeats

During a unique national crisis, and accompanying injury crisis. 

Embarrassing lack of loyalty to Bowyer and Jackson. They deserve better support than that and I’m gutted it appears we’re collectively not tuned that way. I thought we were.
    Give this man a promote.