Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Hull City v Charlton | Sat 02 Jan 2021

Comments

• edited January 2021
    For what it’s worth, my opinion is that Bows is doing alright with a brand new squad that includes crap strikers. He’s still in credit but needs to improve once he gets Schwartz in. I’m a bit surprised at the playing players out of position too but as he’s said in the post match interview, he has a reason (at least!) 

Unless Eddie Howe fancies another project starting in the lower leagues, which I highly doubt, I’d leave Bows, Jacko and Gallen to do their thing.
    I think Danny makes a few good points here. I was raging about today's line-up and performance and Bowyer's persevering with tactics and players that aren't working. However, as fans we would be laughing at other clubs' fans looking to ditch their until now successful manager after a bumpy spell and be calling them bedwetters. The last thing we want is to start sacking managers prematurely, especially ones who have over-performed already in the job. 

We all know we have been terribly unlucky to lose Inniss and Famewo for so long and we were short up front from the off and with a salary cap.

Having said all that, we must have someone better than Bogle. He joined us with a chronically poor track record which he's battled hard to maintain. I won't pay to watch another stream if he's playing.
    One thing I say about other clubs fans.....they watch the games, they know the players & their best positions. They know when the manager gets it wrong or gets it right. Fans aren't fickle. They just KNOW. How many on here watch the streams of other clubs. I bet very very few. So when other fans ring up 606 or Talksport going on about their managers tactics and why x,y or z should be sacked I don't laugh at them or say they are stupid or "be careful what you wish for" because those fans go to games (pre Covid) or pay for live streams and they know what the manager should be doing. Fans aren't stupid. 
  • LouisMend said:
    Bowyer is a prick.  Every week slagging off a different player.  Just fuck off and find a team who appreciate your brilliance.  Or go back to fishing.  Tosser.  I'd be glad to see the back of you.
    Bit much
  • edited January 2021
    Just looking at the upcoming fixtures & we could really be on the slide if we don't get at least 1 win out of our next 2 games. Both at home (next Friday & then the following tues). The only other teams in the top 6 playing during this period are Lincoln & Peterborough  & so by the following weekend we will have played 3 more games than most of the top 6 & if we lose to Accrington next Friday we will be 7th......and looking down rather than up. Teams like Oxford, who were in the bottom 6 just a month or two ago are now just 4 points behind us. They stuck FIVE past the hapless Burton.......the team that beat us 4-2. 

The only reason why we are in such a good position in the table is down to that great run of wins we had......which was primarily down to having a great defence & a speedy outlet. Sadly those 3 players (Famewo, Innis & Doughty) won't be back until late Feb /early March, by which time the play-offs will be far away in the distance. Sad to say that we will he spending another season in this wage capped league on 2021/22. No surprise that it might take our customary 3 years to get promoted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bowyer likes experienced players in his side. Fair enough.
    But sadly most over 30 year-olds lose their pace. Also these journeymen may be carrying past injuries and become pale shadows of their past excellence.
    It's a blend of youth and experience that makes a team tick.

Duchatelet's model was to promote promising young imports and Academy players for the "shop window". Not the first owner who had thought of this. Apart from being the most odious of owner's he knew very little about football - or CAFC. A commodity like his other business interests, totally divorced from the CAFC FANS ideologies, lives, loves, history, hopes and ambitions.

It's been fantastic to have Sandgaard looking after the running of CAFC (minus structural assets). Bowyer and Gallen has been given total freedom (within cap and budget) to exercise control of player recruitment. Strangely it appears that our younger players are mostly ignored. The aim is about promotion - whatever it takes. We all know this. But it shouldn't mean that prospects like Barker, Lapslie, Vennings and Davison should be out of contention when these "experienced players" aren't performing. There may well be a few others that Jason Euell could mention. Morgan is a fine player, still developing. But like Gallagher (now WBromwich), he should be played more regularly. 
    Maasten is a good young Chelsea loanee  - if played on his favoured left side. We need a few more players of his youth, skill, pace and qualilty. Could be that we already have a few knocking on the door!
  • Yesterday was abysmal. However, Bowyer has earned the right to have this January window under Sandgaard. Not many wanted him out before the 2 centre halves got injured. We need some patience here...
  • Yesterday was abysmal. However, Bowyer has earned the right to have this January window under Sandgaard. Not many wanted him out before the 2 centre halves got injured. We need some patience here...
    So, how long does Bowyer get? A week after the end of the window? That prevents a new face making his mark on the signings.

To the end of the season? That could blow any chance of promotion based on current form and team set up and selection.

I would love Bowyer to turn it around and perhaps he will. Based on current evidence, I'm afraid that I don't see it though.

Given the ambitions Thomas has voiced, I'd be surprised if he allows Bowyer to continue for much longer if there is no change in approach. 
    So, how long does Bowyer get? A week after the end of the window? That prevents a new face making his mark on the signings.

To the end of the season? That could blow any chance of promotion based on current form and team set up and selection.

I would love Bowyer to turn it around and perhaps he will. Based on current evidence, I'm afraid that I don't see it though.

Given the ambitions Thomas has  voiced, I'd be surprised if he allows Bowyer to continue for much longer if there is no change in approach. 
    So we are saying we want Bowyer to go now then?

Given the ambitions Thomas has voiced, I'd be surprised if he allows Bowyer to continue for much longer if there is no change in approach. 
    Do you think another manager could come in and get us up this season ? 

Yes.   Do you think anyone else could have done much worse, with the players available, over the last 2 months? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Yesterday was abysmal. However, Bowyer has earned the right to have this January window under Sandgaard. Not many wanted him out before the 2 centre halves got injured. We need some patience here...

Yes.   Do you think anyone else could have done much worse, with the players available, over the last 2 months? 
    Yes Fromage the laundry basket man ‘spread out’ 😉.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Yesterday was abysmal. However, Bowyer has earned the right to have this January window under Sandgaard. Not many wanted him out before the 2 centre halves got injured. We need some patience here...

I appreciate we are in a bad run. Losing the 2 centre halves has been a disaster. But I think this talk of Bowyer going is premature, just my opinion 
  • Bogle couldn’t hit a banjo, let alone a cow’s arse with a banjo.
  • edited January 2021
    Love Bowyer, but if hes given until the end of the season and we dont finish in the playoffs, he has to go. I know we got hammered by injuries last season, but his decision making was awful and we dropped endless points that would have kept us up. 

TS arrived and demanded attacking football and promotion, neither of which are happening. Still plenty of games to go though, need a good jan and not to lose any more players... mattsen could still be recalled yet too. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    This comment says it all for me...

"When asked for his thinking behind the new role for the Chelsea loanee, Bowyer explained: “We thought [Malik] Wilks would be playing on the right. He’s been playing on the right all the time, coming in on his left foot and he’s very good at it. So, I thought Adam, he’ll be coming on to his strong foot as well, his right foot.Adam had done well in the last game in possession, he was very good on the ball."

So when he saw that Wilks was playing on the left Matthews playing out of position and a rapid Wilks against an aging Gunter. No plan b
    more than that, it shows how obsessed with defending he is - time to go, lost it completely 
    I'll agree that we do not appear to be the most attractive of teams to watch.
  • I don't see TS pulling the trigger right before the transfer window. It's the first proper opportunity he's had to work with Bowyer and Gallen, and from what has been said publicly they are looking for some pace in attack and reinforcement in defence.

If they succeed in that (and Bowyer recalibrates his tactics accordingly) the season can still be saved - we can return to the tactics that bought success earlier on.

If for whatever reason this doesn't happen though, I expect Bowyer to go, probably at the end of the season. TS strikes me as the type to see this season as consolidation and clearing out (behind the scenes as well as on the pitch) and if that means a new management team for the start of next season, he'll not hold off.
  • Bowyer will be given until next October, he will get the summer to do a full pre seasons business and if it doesn’t work out by October he will be gone, part of me thinks he needs a full hand like Powell was given by Jiminez and Slater.
  • shine166 said:
    Love Bowyer, but if hes given until the end of the season and we dont finish in the playoffs, he has to go. I know we got hammered by injuries last season, but his decision making was awful and we dropped endless points that would have kept us up. 

TS arrived and demanded attacking football and promotion, neither of which are happening. Still plenty of games to go though, need a good jan and not to lose any more players 
    Sandgaard has given two seasons for promotion. Hopefully he'll stick to his words and give Bowyer time.
    Loyalty and stability has long gone and made football the mess it is now.
    Shut up