Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Hull City v Charlton | Sat 02 Jan 2021

Comments

• For what it’s worth, my opinion is that Bows is doing alright with a brand new squad that includes crap strikers. He’s still in credit but needs to improve once he gets Schwartz in. I’m a bit surprised at the playing players out of position too but as he’s said in the post match interview, he has a reason (at least!) 

Unless Eddie Howe fancies another project starting in the lower leagues, which I highly doubt, I’d leave Bows, Jacko and Gallen to do their thing.
    I think Danny makes a few good points here. I was raging about today's line-up and performance and Bowyer's persevering with tactics and players that aren't working. However, as fans we would be laughing at other clubs' fans looking to ditch their until now successful manager after a bumpy spell and be calling them bedwetters. The last thing we want is to start sacking managers prematurely, especially ones who have over-performed already in the job. 

We all know we have been terribly unlucky to lose Inniss and Famewo for so long and we were short up front from the off and with a salary cap.

Having said all that, we must have someone better than Bogle. He joined us with a chronically poor track record which he's battled hard to maintain. I won't pay to watch another stream if he's playing.
    One thing I say about other clubs fans.....they watch the games, they know the players & their best positions. They know when the manager gets it wrong or gets it right. Fans aren't fickle. They just KNOW. How many on here watch the streams of other clubs. I bet very very few. So when other fans ring up 606 or Talksport going on about their managers tactics and why x,y or z should be sacked I don't laugh at them or say they are stupid or "be careful what you wish for" because those fans go to games (pre Covid) or pay for live streams and they know what the manager should be doing. Fans aren't stupid. 
    In my opinion, fans are stupid if they want bowyer to leave when we’re in 6th place in a league where he has got us promoted before. 

I don’t believe having patience in bowyer is going to end up with us finishing mid table. Still have faith he’ll turn this form around. 
    The form is the main concern though. 10 points from 9 games. Leaking goals. Failed to beat Burton, Gillingham, Plymouth, Swindon, MK Dons and Shrewsbury. Why is he persisting with Pratley at CB, why is he playing Matthews at left back when we have a left back on the bench? Why is he playing a left back on the right of midfield? Why are our 2 most creative players sat on the bench? Why do players who do well get dropped for the next game? 

And yes we're 6th but Ipswich, Sunderland and Accrington can all go above us as they have games in hand.

It doesn’t mean they will go above us. The same as the teams above us may have thought we’d go above them with our games in hand. Even if those teams you mention do go above us, the worst case scenario is 9th on GD and 3 points from 6th. To me, that’s not a sackable offence. 
    Too many fans think we're the Man United of the 3rd division.
  • However you dress it up we're in a very poor run of form - we've had a relatively easy run of fixtures and looked pretty shambolic in recent games.

I'm not sure what the positives are at present and I'm unclear what's going to change with LB at the helm. He isn't inspiring confidence in the players or fans.

I'm sure everyone wants him to do well but it's hard to see the logic of his current tactics and team selections. Having such a negative approach in L1 seems very limited.
  • DOUCHER said:
    i'm surprised at your stance AFKA - this isn't a knee jerk thing on most people's part - this is a year long obsession with negative tactics that people are sick of - you may not want you're forum being partly responsible for the mounting pressure on bowyer but this tidal wave of opionion has been building for a year and without any inside info as to what the hell is behind LB's decisions, he appears to have lost the plot completely - and the dressing room. 
    This is just ridiculous... Year long obsession!!

We were a Championship team under an embargo and came within a point of survival, the fact we were only in the relegation zone for TWO WEEKS that entire season was credit to the Management team - We had an ownership of chancers who chipped away in the background and made the whole club a toxic enviornment that must have made it hell for the players to try and focus in, but they're robots arent they... To idiots like you they probably should be able to focus on their job and not worry about what goes on in the background wondering if their careers are on the line

Or are you going to re-write history and ignore the fact that the Birmingham goal alone came from a kid now at Borussia Dortmund going up against an ageing midfielder whose hamstring had just gone?

As I've said before... Some of our fanbase on here deserve everything that happens to our promotion chances if they go tits up with a new Manager... Of course you'll never accept being at fault will you!!

And we have the cheek to mock Arsenal fans for being entitled
    i accept all the problems he had but i stand by my statement - there were games in that run in where we had zero chance of getting anything from the game because of his negative tactics and you may think i'm an idiot, that;s fine, your opinion is irrelevant - could he also have handled the Taylor / Solly thing differently? All these things were overlooked because of the circumstances but we have a repeat of the negative tactics and a repeat of the confrontation and a pattern is developing with the same outcomes   
  • For what it’s worth, my opinion is that Bows is doing alright with a brand new squad that includes crap strikers. He’s still in credit but needs to improve once he gets Schwartz in. I’m a bit surprised at the playing players out of position too but as he’s said in the post match interview, he has a reason (at least!) 

Unless Eddie Howe fancies another project starting in the lower leagues, which I highly doubt, I’d leave Bows, Jacko and Gallen to do their thing.
    I think Danny makes a few good points here. I was raging about today's line-up and performance and Bowyer's persevering with tactics and players that aren't working. However, as fans we would be laughing at other clubs' fans looking to ditch their until now successful manager after a bumpy spell and be calling them bedwetters. The last thing we want is to start sacking managers prematurely, especially ones who have over-performed already in the job. 

We all know we have been terribly unlucky to lose Inniss and Famewo for so long and we were short up front from the off and with a salary cap.

Having said all that, we must have someone better than Bogle. He joined us with a chronically poor track record which he's battled hard to maintain. I won't pay to watch another stream if he's playing.
    One thing I say about other clubs fans.....they watch the games, they know the players & their best positions. They know when the manager gets it wrong or gets it right. Fans aren't fickle. They just KNOW. How many on here watch the streams of other clubs. I bet very very few. So when other fans ring up 606 or Talksport going on about their managers tactics and why x,y or z should be sacked I don't laugh at them or say they are stupid or "be careful what you wish for" because those fans go to games (pre Covid) or pay for live streams and they know what the manager should be doing. Fans aren't stupid. 
    In my opinion, fans are stupid if they want bowyer to leave when we’re in 6th place in a league where he has got us promoted before. 

I don’t believe having patience in bowyer is going to end up with us finishing mid table. Still have faith he’ll turn this form around. 
    The form is the main concern though. 10 points from 9 games. Leaking goals. Failed to beat Burton, Gillingham, Plymouth, Swindon, MK Dons and Shrewsbury. Why is he persisting with Pratley at CB, why is he playing Matthews at left back when we have a left back on the bench? Why is he playing a left back on the right of midfield? Why are our 2 most creative players sat on the bench? Why do players who do well get dropped for the next game? 

And yes we're 6th but Ipswich, Sunderland and Accrington can all go above us as they have games in hand.

Great post.....and posters like @AFKABartram should take note. No one is suggesting Bowyer should be sacked because we've lost a few matches but because the manner in which we've set up the team in those matches.

If you can't see that playing an exciting attacking left full back on the right wing & replacing him with a right footed right back (neither of them having played in those positions before in their careers) is not only baffling but something no other manager would do then you need to open your eyes.
    Fans are suggesting a change of manager.
  • Absolutely staggered how willingly trigger happy people are. Embarrassing given how fawning most supporters were of him up to a few weeks ago. Football has got so short-termism it’s unreal.

Thank god the Internet wasn’t such a thing for Curbs when he went 8 games without a point, 13 games without a win. Pretty sure we would be told now he hasn’t a clue, had lost the dressing room etc.

Our current form in that comparative 13 game period?

6 wins 
    4 draws
    3 defeats

During a unique national crisis, and accompanying injury crisis. 

Embarrassing lack of loyalty to Bowyer and Jackson. They deserve better support than that and I’m gutted it appears we’re collectively not tuned that way. I thought we were.
    Give this man a promote.
    How many Promotes can one man take for gods sake ;)
  • Well I've slept on it overnight and I still can't get my head around that starting line up with players playing out of position all over the shop. And especially the fact that Maddison wasn't in the starting line up after scoring a great goal last week. Indeed, he didn't even get a 20 minute or so run out from the bench when it was obvious we wouldn't score if we played all night. 

The overall performance was appalling and for Bowyer to pretend otherwise is absurd. 

In my view one more chance to pick a team with players playing in their proper positions next Friday. Anymore of these nonsense selections and my support for Bowyer is done. 

• For the record not watched Wizard of Oz since I was a kid 40ish years ago .
    I thought the film was forever 2.5 hrs long , it’s only 1hr 40 mins .
    I didn’t realise the tin man , scarecrow,  lion were fellas from the farm(wizard and wicked witch from the real world as well) and that it was  all a dream .. wtf was I watching as a kid 
    You were probably watching JFK, that’s really long...
  • Sponsored links:

• I get the need to tinker with defence because of the injuries, but apart from that half against Wimbledon when have we played an attacking game?
    If Maddison was an ex-player of ours who'd had a bad few months with us and played for Hull, they'd have played him and he'd have scored, possibly more than once. I bet on Hull Life or whatever, there were posters saying "our form's terrible, bet Maddison scores against us". So what do we do? Keep him on the bench. 
    criticising Bowyer's unfathomable decisions doesn't mean I want him out. But we're set up not to lose and it ain't working
  • Below is an updated view of the Facebook poll.

• DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i'm surprised at your stance AFKA - this isn't a knee jerk thing on most people's part - this is a year long obsession with negative tactics that people are sick of - you may not want you're forum being partly responsible for the mounting pressure on bowyer but this tidal wave of opionion has been building for a year and without any inside info as to what the hell is behind LB's decisions, he appears to have lost the plot completely - and the dressing room. 

We were a Championship team under an embargo and came within a point of survival, the fact we were only in the relegation zone for TWO WEEKS that entire season was credit to the Management team - We had an ownership of chancers who chipped away in the background and made the whole club a toxic enviornment that must have made it hell for the players to try and focus in, but they're robots arent they... To idiots like you they probably should be able to focus on their job and not worry about what goes on in the background wondering if their careers are on the line

Or are you going to re-write history and ignore the fact that the Birmingham goal alone came from a kid now at Borussia Dortmund going up against an ageing midfielder whose hamstring had just gone?

As I've said before... Some of our fanbase on here deserve everything that happens to our promotion chances if they go tits up with a new Manager... Of course you'll never accept being at fault will you!!

i accept all the problems he had but i stand by my statement - there were games in that run in where we had zero chance of getting anything from the game because of his negative tactics and you may think i'm an idiot, that;s fine, your opinion is irrelevant - could he also have handled the Taylor / Solly thing differently? All these things were overlooked because of the circumstances but we have a repeat of the negative tactics and a repeat of the confrontation and a pattern is developing with the same outcomes   
    The only game we stood zero chance of getting anything was the Leeds game!!... Every other game we were as much of a match for anyone else!!

Cardiff: Fair enough we were perhaps lucky to get a draw as dont recall us having many opportunities
    Millwall: Lost to an individual error with Phillips palming to ball to the opponent
    Brentford: Could have been 3-0 up before they got a dodgy penalty
    Reading: Should have had a penalty, should have had a goal that was wrongly offside
    Birmingham: Should have been 2-0 up, Camp did his job of a Goalkeeper and stopped Bonne
    Wigan: Should have won 3-2, Marshall did his job as a Goalkeeper and stopped Bonne

But yeah we had zero chance of getting anything from those games... As I said... Keep re-writing History to suit your needs!!

The only thing I'll agree with you on is he could have handled Solly differently as I know that was a load of bullshit what Bowyer has come out with... Taylor on the other hand was fully deserved as he never had any intention of playing
  • For those bemoaning Bowyers choice of playing players out of position... Going forward can they provide actual analysis ahead of games as to how the opposition play, what their strengths and weaknesses are and then how we should line up?

Play players in position is probably the most armchair comment I can ever read!!

Bowyer has already said that he played Matthews on the left today because whenever Wilks has played this season, thats the flank he's gone down, he did it last season too which is why Oshilaja was played Left-Back and was why I knew that Matthews would play out there, its basic stuff!! - Of course that didnt happen yesterday because Hull themselves arent going to just sit back and let us do what we want (Do these armchair fans realise that the opposition come with their own game plan?), now I know the response straight away will be: "So why didnt Bowyer change it up the moment that was obvious"... But my response is, why should we have to adapt to the opposition, apart from one frustrating deflection they werent better than us yesterday and had it not been for Bogle's air kick we'd have gone in at 1-1, but of course thats Bowyer's fault too isnt it!!

Seriously armchair fans always make me think of the Battle of Austerlitz... The Austrians and Russians put together a plan to beat the French and put that plan into action... The French absolutely annihalated them because not once did the opposition Generals think that Napoleon would do his own thing and stuck to their plan throughout - People on here say; play Williams, play Maddison blah blah blah, but dont think for a second as to what will happen if the opposition suss those two out from the start and make them as effective as a feather!!

Second Half, Bowyer has changed it up and its benefited us a bit more, until one of his players has had the attitute of a five year old getting himself sent off which has pretty much ended the game

Then to make things even more laughable there have been complaints on here asking why Bowyer hasnt been calling out the more senior players, why do the likes of Pratley and Watson get away with mistakes all the time when its Williams that gets called out in the post match press conference - Yesterday; Bowyer calls out Pratley for the stupid red card and is now called out on here for slagging off more players!! 
    Thanks for this mate. There'd be even more clueless people on this site if it wasn’t for the preview and opposition research you and @sage do every week. It always helps me understand Bowyer and JJ tactics etc knowing more about teams I don’t follow a couple of days before that game. 
  • For those bemoaning Bowyers choice of playing players out of position... Going forward can they provide actual analysis ahead of games as to how the opposition play, what their strengths and weaknesses are and then how we should line up?

Play players in position is probably the most armchair comment I can ever read!!

Bowyer has already said that he played Matthews on the left today because whenever Wilks has played this season, thats the flank he's gone down, he did it last season too which is why Oshilaja was played Left-Back and was why I knew that Matthews would play out there, its basic stuff!! - Of course that didnt happen yesterday because Hull themselves arent going to just sit back and let us do what we want (Do these armchair fans realise that the opposition come with their own game plan?), now I know the response straight away will be: "So why didnt Bowyer change it up the moment that was obvious"... But my response is, why should we have to adapt to the opposition, apart from one frustrating deflection they werent better than us yesterday and had it not been for Bogle's air kick we'd have gone in at 1-1, but of course thats Bowyer's fault too isnt it!!

Seriously armchair fans always make me think of the Battle of Austerlitz... The Austrians and Russians put together a plan to beat the French and put that plan into action... The French absolutely annihalated them because not once did the opposition Generals think that Napoleon would do his own thing and stuck to their plan throughout - People on here say; play Williams, play Maddison blah blah blah, but dont think for a second as to what will happen if the opposition suss those two out from the start and make them as effective as a feather!!

Second Half, Bowyer has changed it up and its benefited us a bit more, until one of his players has had the attitute of a five year old getting himself sent off which has pretty much ended the game

Then to make things even more laughable there have been complaints on here asking why Bowyer hasnt been calling out the more senior players, why do the likes of Pratley and Watson get away with mistakes all the time when its Williams that gets called out in the post match press conference - Yesterday; Bowyer calls out Pratley for the stupid red card and is now called out on here for slagging off more players!! 
    Thanks for this mate. There'd be even more clueless people on this site if it wasn’t for the preview and opposition research you and @sage do every week. It always helps me understand Bowyer and JJ tactics etc knowing more about teams I don’t follow a couple of days before that game. 
    I'm not going to pretend I do any research into how the opposition play when I write my Previews... I pull my research from form and stats

@Sage and his Previews are the go to ones for the informative side of how the opposition line up as recall him saying (when he suggested Ellis Simms from Everton) that he's gone on training courses (?) to analyse that side of things
  • Absolutely staggered how willingly trigger happy people are. Embarrassing given how fawning most supporters were of him up to a few weeks ago. Football has got so short-termism it’s unreal.

Thank god the Internet wasn’t such a thing for Curbs when he went 8 games without a point, 13 games without a win. Pretty sure we would be told now he hasn’t a clue, had lost the dressing room etc.

6 wins 
    4 draws
    3 defeats

Embarrassing lack of loyalty to Bowyer and Jackson. They deserve better support than that and I’m gutted it appears we’re collectively not tuned that way. I thought we were.
    Give this man a promote.
    How many Promotes can one man take for gods sake ;)
    I'd be content with one tbh.

I'm not going to pretend I do any research into how the opposition play when I write my Previews... I pull my research from form and stats

@Sage and his Previews are the go to ones for the informative side of how the opposition line up as recall him saying (when he suggested Ellis Simms from Everton) that he's gone on training courses (?) to analyse that side of things
    I’ll cancel my compliment then. Unacceptable that you haven’t taken the time to do training courses for CL previews 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    For those bemoaning Bowyers choice of playing players out of position... Going forward can they provide actual analysis ahead of games as to how the opposition play, what their strengths and weaknesses are and then how we should line up?

i think you've lost the plot as well tbh but there again, no surprise there given you are pretty much aligned with bowyer on your weekly previews - how come we are armchair fans and you aren't btw? 
    I think that’s unfair. The opening post on every weekly preview is a superb piece of material for CL. It’s rarely biased towards our club or management, and is always fair with its thoughts on us and the opposition. 
  • edited January 2021
    Well I've slept on it overnight and I still can't get my head around that starting line up with players playing out of position all over the shop. And especially the fact that Maddison wasn't in the starting line up after scoring a great goal last week. Indeed, he didn't even get a 20 minute or so run out from the bench when it was obvious we wouldn't score if we played all night. 

The overall performance was appalling and for Bowyer to pretend otherwise is absurd. 

In my view one more chance to pick a team with players playing in their proper positions next Friday. Anymore of these nonsense selections and my support for Bowyer is done. 

I'd go along with that. If Bowyer changes his approach I would be happy for him to continue. Maybe Sandgaard should remind him of the style he wishes to play and give Bowyer the option of embracing it or leaving.

When Bowyer first took other I received lots of suspicious comments from fans of other clubs I know about his suitability to be a manager. I defended him strongly, saying he is calm, popular with his players and not the same person he used to be as a player. What it feels like to me is that negative side to him which has followed him all of his footballing career has been allowed to spill out due to extreme adversity not of his making. This seems to be a completely different manager to the one he was.

Taking players off early and digging them out. Singling out players and indeed loyal fans, inappropriately negative tactics, playing players out of position when there are conventional alternatives, some strange comments (last season saying we had to play Gallagher more than was good for him in a press conference, this season saying we had to look after Smyth because he was a QPR player, extreme negativity about every possibility etc...) and dropping players that have done well the previous game. 

Maybe there is a way to save the man from himself. But that would assume he can repair the damage he has done and is doing. Do I rate Bogle? In all honesty I don't all that highly. But what we saw in the first half yesterday was a player totally devoid of confidence and Bowyer needs to take a lot of the credit for that. He doesn't defend or support his players, he is at the front of the queue slagging them off!
  • DOUCHER said:
    For those bemoaning Bowyers choice of playing players out of position... Going forward can they provide actual analysis ahead of games as to how the opposition play, what their strengths and weaknesses are and then how we should line up?

i think you've lost the plot as well tbh but there again, no surprise there given you are pretty much aligned with bowyer on your weekly previews - how come we are armchair fans and you aren't btw? 
    Because I dont presume to tell Bowyer what he's doing wrong, or tell him what he should be doing?

People take it as optimism but as I've said in previous weeks now... Its great saying he should have done this and that but you dont know how the opposition will react do you? - As for being aligned with Bowyer on my Previews there have been one or two "Introductions" that have called for patience but I think the difference between me and you writing one is the fact that I try to take a very neutral stance and attempt to detach myself as a fan when writing them - If you want to take over from me though and give it a go you're more than welcome though?

Anyone is more than welcome to take over the role of writing Previews from me if ever they want

It doesn’t mean they will go above us. The same as the teams above us may have thought we’d go above them with our games in hand. Even if those teams you mention do go above us, the worst case scenario is 9th on GD and 3 points from 6th. To me, that’s not a sackable offence. 
    Too many fans think we're the Man United of the 3rd division.
    Sunderland are the Man Utd of the third division and look where they are. Their fans know better than to assume size matters. Look up Lincoln City in the footballing greats album. 
  • I respect Muttley and his views.

He isn't an armchair fan ( he is now !) Because anyone who has stood on the touchline and made decisions about subs, football tactics and why has a player still not turned up a minute from KO deserves respect. Plan A binned and Plan B used as you Kick off !
    I don't think he had the same issues I had with some parents (I had a younger group to work with) and losing players to academy sides. but he knows how it works at the grass roots of football. 

Not sure if it was coincidence, that both of us said let's try, as Aneke is missing, Washington, with support from Maddison and Williams and Bogle goes back to his best position; on the bench.

Even 3-5-2 was an option with Maatsen on the left and Matthews on the right, within 10 minutes of the 2nd half we were playing on the front foot with exactly these changes. Only the Pratley Red card screwed up that pro active tactic.

Since the Mini League, when we had limited options TBF, Bowyer has made so many negative choices. 

I'm not calling for Lee to go, as I want to see if a couple of players, a striker and a bona fide CB and a possible loan to replace the home sick Levitt can galvanize our season.

You guys have watched enough football to know when dross is being served up.

Even when Chris Powell got knighted I would call him out when he sat back against a team like Birmingham when we had 1 goal leads, home and away one season and the game at st Andrews cost us a point and the game at the valley cost us 3. 

I said let's support who ever Lee picked yesterday. I tried but sorry that 1st half line up was a disaster waiting to happen.

I would welcome @Tutt-Tutt views if has time to watch any of the cafc games on valley pass as he is involved with the pro game or at least the semi pro game from memory.

I know the players need to believe in you when you are the manager; Man management isn't easy with all the different characters involved. Is this where Lee is struggling ?  

• I'm so armchair.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

The only game we stood zero chance of getting anything was the Leeds game!!... Every other game we were as much of a match for anyone else!!

Cardiff: Fair enough we were perhaps lucky to get a draw as dont recall us having many opportunities
    Millwall: Lost to an individual error with Phillips palming to ball to the opponent
    Brentford: Could have been 3-0 up before they got a dodgy penalty
    Reading: Should have had a penalty, should have had a goal that was wrongly offside
    Birmingham: Should have been 2-0 up, Camp did his job of a Goalkeeper and stopped Bonne
    Wigan: Should have won 3-2, Marshall did his job as a Goalkeeper and stopped Bonne

But yeah we had zero chance of getting anything from those games... As I said... Keep re-writing History to suit your needs!!

The only thing I'll agree with you on is he could have handled Solly differently as I know that was a load of bullshit what Bowyer has come out with... Taylor on the other hand was fully deserved as he never had any intention of playing
    Sheffield Wednesday away, Huddersfield home and away are just 3 examples I can think of off the top of my head last season when negative tactics and/or bonkers team selections got us zero points.

If we are talking last season the blind loyalty to McGeady, the public slagging off of Bonne, the playing Oshilaja at left back (even if you think it was a tactical genius move against Hull he still played there after).

Get it wrong once or twice, fair enough.  Keep doing the samething, that doesn't work, over and over again and blaming everyone but yourself? 
    Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield werent in the run in though were they?

Thats why I only commented on those games in the restart

6 wins 
    4 draws
    3 defeats

I don't think it's a lack of loyalty to question the manager after the shambles of recent weeks. 

Im not saying it is, I’m talking about wanting him sacked, not criticising. I’ve loads of criticisms.

Absolutely staggered how willingly trigger happy people are. Embarrassing given how fawning most supporters were of him up to a few weeks ago. Football has got so short-termism it’s unreal.

6 wins 
    4 draws
    3 defeats

I'm confident that at least 99% of Charlton fans will always love Bowyer, but he's not beyond criticism.
    I’m not saying he is, i don’t think a single person has said he is. I’m talking about sacking him.