Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Hull City v Charlton | Sat 02 Jan 2021

Comments

• Talal said:
    Maybe the problem is not Bowyer but just the fact we don't have very good players. We were a club that got relegated last year and on top of that some of the best players of that relegated team got shipped out. We nearly went into administration and barely had any window to bring anyone in. The only thing that has surprised me this season to me is that we started so well.
    If we don't have very good players then playing them in unnatural positions is unlikely to make things any better. 
    Recent results are down to Bowyer, I fail to see how anyone can argue against that. 
    As the man said in "Christine".... "You can't polish a turd."

I believe Bowyer thinks he can roll it in glitter but unfortunately all that’s in his glitter jar is just ground up turds
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ‘Playing players in their position is the most arm chair view of them all’

Im sorry but WTF?!!

Team meetings and individual instructions about how the opposition play or what the player your marking does (ie comes inside) is the absolute norm. You still play players in their natural position. Not a talented left back at right midfield whilst you’re playing two right footed players down the left. It’s just fucking madness.
    Wingers who play on the opposite flank so they cut in must confuse the fuck out of you then!!
    Maatsen is a fucking left back!!!!!!!!
    What does he do when he's facing a winger who cuts inside... Suddenly he's got Maatsen on his wrong foot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    About half the premier league wingers are "inverted" how many full backs are? 
    Exactly. I can’t get my head around having to even explain it.

A left footed player will feel more at home playing left back because when they receive the ball, they open their body and have the whole pitch in front on them. A right footed player there, as we saw with Matthew’s yesterday, will always instinctively come inside onto their stronger foot, therefore minimising their options into congestion. 

When defending, a left footed left back will try and show their winger inside, where usually, midfield support awaits. If their winger wants to go down the outside, they will feel much more comfortable tackling with that foot. That’s like defending 101. If you play a right footed player left back, then their instinctive, natural body shape, will be totally wasted. 
    You mean every manager that has lost to Liverpool over the last 3 seasons could have avoided defeat simply by swapping the full backs round? 
    You mean the Liverpool who have played the right footed James Milner at Left-Back over 50-times?

Surely they had another Left-Back they could have played there instead of him on those occasions...
    Milner would at least be fairly comfortable on the left. He played there as a kid and when he first broke into the Leeds team as a teenager he was a left winger.

I doubt Adam Matthews had ever played on the left side of the pitch in his life until a couple of games ago.
  • edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Im sorry but WTF?!!

Team meetings and individual instructions about how the opposition play or what the player your marking does (ie comes inside) is the absolute norm. You still play players in their natural position. Not a talented left back at right midfield whilst you’re playing two right footed players down the left. It’s just fucking madness.
    Wingers who play on the opposite flank so they cut in must confuse the fuck out of you then!!
    What does he do when he's facing a winger who cuts inside... Suddenly he's got Maatsen on his wrong foot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A left footed player will feel more at home playing left back because when they receive the ball, they open their body and have the whole pitch in front on them. A right footed player there, as we saw with Matthew’s yesterday, will always instinctively come inside onto their stronger foot, therefore minimising their options into congestion. 

When defending, a left footed left back will try and show their winger inside, where usually, midfield support awaits. If their winger wants to go down the outside, they will feel much more comfortable tackling with that foot. That’s like defending 101. If you play a right footed player left back, then their instinctive, natural body shape, will be totally wasted. 
    You mean every manager that has lost to Liverpool over the last 3 seasons could have avoided defeat simply by swapping the full backs round? 
    You mean the Liverpool who have played the right footed James Milner at Left-Back over 50-times?

Surely they had another Left-Back they could have played there instead of him on those occasions...
    Milner would at least be fairly comfortable on the left. He played there as a kid and when he first broke into the Leeds team as a teenager he was a left winger.

I doubt Adam Matthews had ever played on the left side of the pitch in his life until a couple of games ago.
    Has played 21-games at Left-Back... Including when Celtic beat Barcelona 2-1 @ Celtic Park

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-matthews/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/108878/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//trainer_id/0/pos/4

Its also worth noting that Ian Maatsen has also played one game at Right-Midfield before yesterday so it wasnt completely new to him

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ian-maatsen/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/485585/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//trainer_id/0/pos/8

Wasnt it Gallen in a recent meeting with the Bromley Addicks who admitted he used TransferMarkt at times?
  • Lots of lively informative posts. Yes, we shouldn't forget the constant difficulties behind-the-scenes that LB had to face. Even without Taylor, I still believe we could've stayed up if he'd managed the squad better. Too many poor sub changes that weakened us in the last crucial games. Doughty has been a big loss this season - but if he hadn't been injured, I suspect he would be sold in this Jan window, Summer window a possibility, unless we get promoted.

LB and Gallen worked minor miracles to get a squad together for this season. Some good, others not good enough for whatever reason. But LB seems to be stubborn when it comes to recent team selections and tactics. He's made some bizarre choices. Performances and results have been poor lately. Hopefully he will alter his thinking and make us stronger with a consistent team for the second half of of season - Lee mentioned 2 players coming in, a centre back and forward. Maybe he can get a couple to come in via loans. Boring I know, but some of our younger players should be given more of a chance. Why not?

• J BLOCK said:
    A loss against Accrington and the heat is seriously on Bowyer
    Bowyer is on a lose-lose situation with a few people on here for Friday.

Lose and it’ll be ranting and get rid.
    Draw and it’ll probably be slightly similar. 
    Win and it’ll be “well we should be beating teams like Accrington”,
    So are you saying Charlton shouldn't be beating teams like Accrington, who struggled to get 1,000 supporters in L2 recently? 

Blimey some think we should be established in the Premier League and others think we should think ourselves fortunate if we can beat Accrington (who are they) Stanley.
    You're right we should be beating teams like Accrington - But at the same time they're in their position on merit so they deserve to be respected

The fact they've previously struggled to get 1,000 supporters should have nothing to do with it

I'd be pretty pissed if I was reading on Social Media about our Championship / Premier League opponents in the future bemoaning they should be beating us, simply because we were once in League One with only 10,000 fans

Am sure a number of our more delicate fanbase would be too
    You really need to stop digging this hole, it's beyond admirable now, your actually making your self sound like a twat. 

@Covered End can be a knob, sometimes like most of us, but how can you argue that?

If Bowyer played Amos up front on Friday you would probably defend that under the "if it's good enough for Man City in 2005 its good enough for us now". 
  • edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

So are you saying Charlton shouldn't be beating teams like Accrington, who struggled to get 1,000 supporters in L2 recently? 

Blimey some think we should be established in the Premier League and others think we should think ourselves fortunate if we can beat Accrington (who are they) Stanley.
    You're right we should be beating teams like Accrington - But at the same time they're in their position on merit so they deserve to be respected

The fact they've previously struggled to get 1,000 supporters should have nothing to do with it

I'd be pretty pissed if I was reading on Social Media about our Championship / Premier League opponents in the future bemoaning they should be beating us, simply because we were once in League One with only 10,000 fans

You really need to stop digging this hole, it's beyond admirable now, your actually making your self sound like a twat. 

@Covered End can be a knob, sometimes like most of us, but how can you argue that?

If Bowyer played Amos up front on Friday you would probably defend that under the "if it's good enough for Man City in 2005 its good enough for us now". 
    So what you think we only have to turn up because we're Charlton and they're Accrington because of the size of the fanbase?

Cmon dont be a prick like that!! - Certainly dont need to start using insulting language against me thats for sure!! 
  • edited January 2021
  • edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Im sorry but WTF?!!

Has played 21-games at Left-Back... Including when Celtic beat Barcelona 2-1 @ Celtic Park

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-matthews/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/108878/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//trainer_id/0/pos/4

Its also worth noting that Ian Maatsen has also played one game at Right-Midfield before yesterday so it wasnt completely new to him

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ian-maatsen/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/485585/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//trainer_id/0/pos/8

Wasnt it Gallen in a recent meeting with the Bromley Addicks who admitted he used TransferMarkt at times?
    Ha ha you've seriously done an online search to find a solitary youth game almost 2 years ago where Maatsen played right midfield. Well that's me sold, the kids a natural then.

Ok you're right, Bowyer was spot on with his team selection.
    Nah Id done that yesterday actually out of curiosity ... I did the search for Matthews when you asked seeing he's only played at LB a handful of games now ;) 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Im sorry but WTF?!!

Ha ha you've seriously done an online search to find a solitary youth game almost 2 years ago where Maatsen played right midfield. Well that's me sold, the kids a natural then.

Ok you're right, Bowyer was spot on with his team selection.
    You forgot to comment on Matthews having played left back 21 times including when beating Barcelona 2-1.

Whilst I agree the formation didn't work, your challenge of having to do an online search is a bit weird.

It takes less than a minute to get from here, to Google to Maatsen's transfermarkt page and onto the positions he's played. 

You want a petty action to prove a point, that took 42 seconds when timed.
  • I'm convinced. Maatsens played RM once before pace down the right. Matthews and Morgan cutting in on their stronger foot to double up on wilks. Tactics are sound. 

Clearly, the players are just fcking sh!t. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

So what you think we only have to turn up because we're Charlton and they're Accrington because of the size of the fanbase?

Cmon dont be a prick like that!! - Certainly dont need to start using insulting language against me thats for sure!! 
    I didn't say you were a twat, I said you are starting to sound like one.  I know for a fact you aren't one but your really clutching at straws now. 

Your really defending the indefensible. 

Using one youth game to suggest Maatsen is comfortable as a right midfielder?

OK say your theory that it was a good idea for Matthews to play at LB to nullify Wilkes, who I admit is one of the better players in this divison, is sound (despite no other manager in the world regularly doing it) which high quality inverted winger did we come across in the last game?

I think Bowyer's time is up, most people don't agree with me but almost to a man (and woman) they are questioning his selections and tactics.  Your the only person who has even tried to defend it.   And your examples are getting more and more desperate to justify it.

Do you, in both honesty and hindsight, think it was a good idea to play Matthews at left back and Maatsen on the right of midfield? 
  • edited January 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

I didn't say you were a twat, I said you are starting to sound like one.  I know for a fact you aren't one but your really clutching at straws now. 

OK say your theory that it was a good idea for Matthews to play at LB to nullify Wilkes, who I admit is one of the better players in this divison, is sound (despite no other manager in the world regularly doing it) which high quality inverted winger did we come across in the last game?

I think Bowyer's time is up, most people don't agree with me but almost to a man (and woman) they are questioning his selections and tactics.  Your the only person who has even tried to defend it.   And your examples are getting more and more desperate to justify it.

Do you, in both honesty and hindsight, think it was a good idea to play Matthews at left back and Maatsen on the right of midfield? 
    You've completely just changed the whole argument from the one we were discussing

Nice of you to completely skirt that one

As for using a Youth Game to suggest Maatsen is comfortable (I firstly didnt use that word)... I was simply using it to show he's played there before

Upon completion of the game I felt Maatsen was no stronger / weaker at Left-Back (second half) to when he was Right-Midfield, same with Matthews when he was Left-Back and then Right-Back in the second

At the start of the game I was certainly surprised as presumed Maatsen would be playing ahead of Matthews (similar to Plymouth)

Now then... As for the genuine comment that you replied to... Do you think we only need to turn up to beat Accrington because of their fanbase?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

You've completely just changed the whole argument from the one we were discussing

As for using a Youth Game to suggest Maatsen is comfortable (I firstly didnt use that word)... I was simply using it to show he's played there before

Upon completion of the game I felt Maatsen was no stronger / weaker at Left-Back (second half) to when he was Right-Midfield, same with Matthews when he was Left-Back and then Right-Back in the second

At the start of the game I was certainly surprised as presumed Maatsen would be playing ahead of Matthews (similar to Plymouth)

Now then... As for the genuine comment that you replied to... Do you think we only need to turn up to beat Accrington because of their fanbase?
    Really? I presume you watched the game on your broken tv then? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

Chortle... Nah got a new one thanks, anyway I tend to watch Charlton on my PC Monitor

Genuinely though, the first goal we conceded certainly werent down to the fact we played those two out of position
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

Chortle... Nah got a new one thanks, anyway I tend to watch Charlton on my PC Monitor

Genuinely though, the first goal we conceded certainly werent down to the fact we played those two out of position
    Arguably. Matthews didn’t defend it well did he. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

True I'll give you that, then again it also looks like the deflection wrong foots a few of them

You're right, watching that back again, he's certainly lost his marker
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

Because of the fan base directly, no, because the fact the chairman has to publish the bar takings to explain how he pays the for the kit to be washed probably. 

All other things being equal, despite the last 7 years, we are as close to Man United as a club than we are to Accrington Stanley.

As with 90% of games at this level, with this squad, set up right, set up positive, we should win 7 or 8 times out of ten. 

Don't you agree? 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

True I'll give you that, then again it also looks like the deflection wrong foots a few of them

To be fair I’m not saying he would have defended it better had it come from the other side and he was playing RB. The deflection didn’t help but it wasn’t good by Matthews either. Whether that was because he was out of position or just switched off I’m not sure. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

Because of the fan base directly, no, because the fact the chairman has to publish the bar takings to explain how he pays the for the kit to be washed probably. 

All other things being equal, despite the last 7 years, we are as close to Man United as a club than we are to Accrington Stanley.

As with 90% of games at this level, with this squad, set up right, set up positive, we should win 7 or 8 times out of ten. 

Don't you agree? 
    Of course... I'm happy to agree with that statement

BUT and I said this last week (maybe a few weeks ago), we're not going to win every game are we, thats impossible

Even to match the points tally from 2018/19 we're allowed to lose and draw a maximum of five games... So its likely we'll drop points in ten games minimum

Which ten do you think that'll be?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

It's not as black and white as that though is it.  There goal might not have been a direct result but the phases of play for the whole game up to that point were. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

To be fair I’m not saying he would have defended it better had it come from the other side and he was playing RB. The deflection didn’t help but it wasn’t good by Matthews either. Whether that was because he was out of position or just switched off I’m not sure. 
    Yeah you see I reckon he's switched off...

Just watched it back slow on YouTube and he seems to stop when its going towards Amos then starts to move briefly when the deflection happens as he knows its not going that way
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

Directly, perhaps not. But a defence with an aging midfielder at CB and a right footed player at left back does not exactly suggest stability and solidity. Especially when there was an actual left back on the pitch but providing no cover as played in midfield on his off foot.

And no we should not just "turn up" and beat Accrington Stanley because of their fanbase. We should beat them because we have good players who know what they are doing and playing in a coherent style. Whether THAT happens remains to be seen but you will have to forgive a certain scepticism on my part based on recent performances.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

Don't you agree? 

BUT and I said this last week (maybe a few weeks ago), we're not going to win every game are we, thats impossible

Even to match the points tally from 2018/19 we're allowed to lose and draw a maximum of five games... So its likely we'll drop points in ten games minimum

The next ten if we set up like we have in the last ten. 

Obviously we don't need to win them all but we need to try and win them all. 

Winning every game, if not impossible, is highly unlikely but trying to win every game should be the bare minimum at this level. 

I'll ask a question now. 

Do you, honestly, think Bowyer has sent out the team, or even close to it, most likely to win (not not loose) the last 3 or 4 games? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

Don't you agree? 

Winning every game, if not impossible, is highly unlikely but trying to win every game should be the bare minimum at this level. 

I'll ask a question now. 

Do you, honestly, think Bowyer has sent out the team, or even close to it, most likely to win (not not loose) the last 3 or 4 games? 
    Sooooo....

Hull: No... The way we started it did feel like we were going for a draw or smash and grab
    Plymouth: Yes... I thought we started well and stupid individual errors gave our attack too much to do
    Swindon: Yes... the line up was good but we didnt handle the pressure well enough

I'll skip Wimbledon

Shrewsbury: Yes... Again the line up was good, but we dont like being put under pressure

See my issue isnt that I dont like being critical of Bowyer - Its just I dont like to use the advantage of having hindsight... I know there will be fans like yourself who'll have a good understanding and will be able to predict what might happen from the team select. But every week from 2pm until 3pm on the Match Thread you'll have enough people on there predicting defeat from every line up that Bowyer selects, when it doesnt necessarily happen... e.g. the biggest one being when Pratley / Watson are selected in Midfield together
  • ForeverAddickted, I'm wondering if there is any tactical switch you would say is not right.
    I think I'm right in saying you approve of Pratley CM at CH, Matthews RB at LB, Maatsen LB at RM, Gilbey CM at LM, JFC LM at RM, Pearce LCH in middle of 3, Pratley RCH or middle at LCH.
    I think this were about all of the players out of position at some point yesterday, so only 7.

If Schwarz signs and is on the wing is that ok?
    What about midfield would that be ok?
    How about anywhere in the defence?
    Is there any position that Bowyer could play someone out of position that you would disagree with?

I'm genuinely interested, not on a wind up.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:

Don't you agree? 

I'll ask a question now. 

Sooooo....

Hull: No... The way we started it did feel like we were going for a draw or smash and grab
    Plymouth: Yes... I thought we started well and stupid individual errors gave our attack too much to do
    Swindon: Yes... the line up was good but we didnt handle the pressure well enough

I'll skip Wimbledon

Shrewsbury: Yes... Again the line up was good, but we dont like being put under pressure

See my issue isnt that I dont like being critical of Bowyer - Its just I dont like to use the advantage of having hindsight... I know there will be fans like yourself who'll have a good understanding and will be able to predict what might happen from the team select. But every week from 2pm until 3pm on the Match Thread you'll have enough people on there predicting defeat from every line up that Bowyer selects, when it doesnt necessarily happen... e.g. the biggest one being when Pratley / Watson are selected in Midfield together
    See I am a big fan of the Pratley/Watson double pivot (despite the fact Bowyer playes them the wrong way round) on the condition I get 2 of Maddison, Morgan, Williams or Shinnie there as well.

And that for me is the second biggest problem (after out of position players) what % of games have 2 of those 4 been on the pitch at the same time, let alone 3.  That's what I mean by trying to win games as not trying to loose them.