Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    If they turn out good, its Gallen genius, if they turn out shit, its Roddy’s incompetence 
    It’s not Jacobs fault. 
  • Options
    When Roddy can in no one on here was sure what it was all about. Now Gallens magnificent track record is up in flames and people are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 4 !!
    But is it really a magnificent track record?maybe I’m being harsh. He has been involved in bringing soon good ‘uns in to the club for sure. But let’s not forget, Bogle, Smith x 2, Smyth, Davis, Mcgeedy, Maddison, Gunter, Watson, Hemed and Kayal. 

**actually,  I’ve changed my mind - Gallen is well in credit. 
    Yep. You bet he is. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    So…any chance of Ged Roddy getting any credit for a strong end to the window?

He got pelters from quite a few who had put 2 + 2 together and got 5, so why shouldn’t the criticism be reversed when a good job has been done?

Just putting the question out there…

He hasn't signed a left back and left his son there as 2nd choice. 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Lol TWO of you can't read thread-titles now
    If GED Roddy was playing LB last night, I'd be really concerned that he was abusing his position :smiley:

The Jacob Roddy situation is awkward though, whether by design or accident. The club signing an 18 year old is no big deal, but that not only do we have no senior LBs at the moment (Purrington injured, Gunter a RB covering and unavailable last night anyway) there are also no existing LBs in the U23 squad, so young Roddy has managed to play 2 cup games already as the next player in line, which is more than many older academy players have managed, and indeed managed in their entire Charlton career. 

I have no problem with Jacob being signed, BUT you do wonder whether consciously or subconsciously the presence of Ged influenced the decision not to sign any other more senior LBs to the academy this summer (say a 19 or 20 year old), such as someone from non league or a player released from one of the other academies.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    If they turn out good, its Gallen genius, if they turn out shit, its Roddy’s incompetence 
    It’s not Jacobs fault. 
    no that isent but what is his fault is all those crosses he keeps letting come over whenever he plays. 

Needs to be loaned out to a non league side but his dad has made sure we cant afford to do that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    cafctom said:
    So…any chance of Ged Roddy getting any credit for a strong end to the window?

He got pelters from quite a few who had put 2 + 2 together and got 5, so why shouldn’t the criticism be reversed when a good job has been done?

Just putting the question out there…
    He certainly had a good game last night. Of course, that doesn't mean that the old man didn't pull a few strings to get him here but I'd like to think he's shown that he has the necessary skill to be here regardless of the recruitment process. 
    Do you really think he had a good game ? I thought that he got beaten time after time and the Crawley Winger got a load of crosses into our box which they weren’t good enough to convert. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    It’s not Jacobs fault. 
    no that isent but what is his fault is all those crosses he keeps letting come over whenever he plays. 

Needs to be loaned out to a non league side but his dad has made sure we cant afford to do that. 
    Not sure I believe that to be honest. I can't see Sandgaard just happily going along and giving a big contract to a youngster who just so happens to be the son of an important figure.

Is it possible that Roddy may have "subtly hinted" to Avory etc that he happens to have a son who plays left back? Yeah, that's possible. But I don't see how either of them benefit from Jr being forced into the first team before he's ready. If anything it's detrimental as it flaunts the familial link bit also makes it less likely that Jr will get another contract if his ineptitude is on display regularly.
  • Options
    Not too shoddy Roddy!

There you go, feel better everyone?
  • Options
    He's the second choice LB. 

We're playing RBs instead because he's so poor. 
    So he’s not the second choice - Gunter is the second choice to play left back. 
    Gunter isn't a left back though. 

So the second choice "left back" is Roddy. He just doesn't get played over the right backs because he's poor. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Rothko said:
    It’s not Jacobs fault. 

Not sure I believe that to be honest. I can't see Sandgaard just happily going along and giving a big contract to a youngster who just so happens to be the son of an important figure.

Is it possible that Roddy may have "subtly hinted" to Avory etc that he happens to have a son who plays left back? Yeah, that's possible. But I don't see how either of them benefit from Jr being forced into the first team before he's ready. If anything it's detrimental as it flaunts the familial link bit also makes it less likely that Jr will get another contract if his ineptitude is on display regularly.
    He knows his son can dine off the 10/15 appearances for Charlton over the next year or two that'll give him the next contract in League Two. 
  • Options

So the second choice "left back" is Roddy. He just doesn't get played over the right backs because he's poor. 
    Do you honestly, really, think we didn't sign a left back to increase Roddy's chances of playing in proper league games?

If Gunter and Purrington were both unavailable Roddy wouldn't start.  If all 3 senior full backs were injured I suspect Roddy wouldn't start.

The real question is was the u18 left back released so we could sign Roddy or did we sign Roddy because we had no other academy player in that position. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Do you honestly, really, think we didn't sign a left back to increase Roddy's chances of playing in proper league games?

If Gunter and Purrington were both unavailable Roddy wouldn't start.  If all 3 senior full backs were injured I suspect Roddy wouldn't start.

The real question is was the u18 left back released so we could sign Roddy or did we sign Roddy because we had no other academy player in that position. 
    You think we couldn't identify a single left-back that would improve our position? 

Something stopped us moving for a loan or purchase for a left-back. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

You think we couldn't identify a single left-back that would improve our position? 

NA rating BP and struggling to find someone who'd sign as 2nd choice?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Cawley said yesterday we were hoping to bring one in.  I have no idea if we tried and failed, neither do you.  Or if we are looking for one now in the free transfer pile.

Not signing one on loan when Purrington 1st got injured was wrong but it hasn't resulted in Jacob playing in the league has it?

If he was playing in the league I could buy it, or getting the 2 minutes like Frank Lampard did to get his bonus at westham.

It's one thing to get a gig in the u23s, its still not right though, but it's another to suggest he is completely undermining the first team squad just on the off chance we have no choice but to play him. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Roddy is third choice to play left back. He is not our second choice to play left back.

Purrington first choice
    Gunter second choice
    Roddy third choice

We here has Oguntayo gone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Roddy is third choice to play left back. He is not our second choice to play left back.

Purrington first choice
    Gunter second choice
    Roddy third choice

Matthews is 3rd choice
    Famewo is 4th

Washington is probably more likely to play there than Roddy. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Cawley said yesterday we were hoping to bring one in.  I have no idea if we tried and failed, neither do you.  Or if we are looking for one now in the free transfer pile.

Not signing one on loan when Purrington 1st got injured was wrong but it hasn't resulted in Jacob playing in the league has it?

If he was playing in the league I could buy it, or getting the 2 minutes like Frank Lampard did to get his bonus at westham.

It's one thing to get a gig in the u23s, its still not right though, but it's another to suggest he is completely undermining the first team squad just on the off chance we have no choice but to play him. 
    If this were true it means we've been hoping since the Purrington injury. So for the entire pre-season we've been looking for a left-back and couldn't find one, does that make sense to you? 
  • Options
    Roddy isn't that far off, seeing that he's played two cup games and been on the bench for a league game

They could have played Matthews at LB yesterday as one of the four? regular players, but chose not to
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Purrington first choice
    Gunter second choice
    Roddy third choice

He's Ged Roddys first choice!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Purrington first choice
    Gunter second choice
    Roddy third choice

Matthews is 3rd choice
    Famewo is 4th

Matthews is already playing at RB, who would play there then?
  • Options
    We have one full back injured currently. Hopefully Ben will be back ASAP. 

Even if we had two full backs out for whatever reason, I suspect we’d have Clare fill in at right back for a game or two and the one available full back (BP/AM/CG) on the left side.

Not ideal and still think that attack minded left back to compliment Kirk is the final missing piece but I hope we’ll be able to address it in January.
  • Options
    Avery, Gallen & Co. must have been put in a very uncomfortable situation when Ged recommended his son. What were they supposed to do... tell their new boss that his boy is not good enough...

It wouldn't be a very good start to their working relationship. And they're only human. 

Surely if Jacob was good enough, with all Ged's footballing academy connections, he wouldn't have been playing for a school. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Purrington first choice
    Gunter second choice
    Roddy third choice

Matthews is 3rd choice
    Famewo is 4th

Matthews is already playing at RB, who would play there then?
    Clare or Barker? 
  • Options
    Maybe Elewere?