Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    Like a few people on here, I have no real idea what goes on behind closed doors at the Valley, beyond the snippets we have heard from Adkins regarding recruitment. But I do have a vague memory that when Ged Roddy arrived I am sure I heard one of his key roles was to maximise income and bring in sponsorship/investment and to raise the profile of the club to improve income. It seemed a great idea at the time for a League 1 outfit with a big stadium and costs to try and increase revenue. has his job morphed or has my memory let me down?
  • This interview from November 2020 explains his background and role at the club.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-6KyZiTwXo
  • edited August 2021
  • Listening to the interview with Ollie,I'm sure Mr Roddy is looking into why we haven't produced plenty of talent through the academy in recent years, give the fella a break, we are not a quick fix!
  • Listening to the interview with Ollie,I'm sure Mr Roddy is looking into why we haven't produced plenty of talent through the academy in recent years, give the fella a break, we are not a quick fix!
    I agree with this but until the rumours of Roddy identifying players and nepotism are put to bed there are always going to be very sceptical fans.
  • thenewbie said:
    Like a few people on here, I have no real idea what goes on behind closed doors at the Valley, beyond the snippets we have heard from Adkins regarding recruitment. But I do have a vague memory that when Ged Roddy arrived I am sure I heard one of his key roles was to maximise income and bring in sponsorship/investment and to raise the profile of the club to improve income. It seemed a great idea at the time for a League 1 outfit with a big stadium and costs to try and increase revenue. has his job morphed or has my memory let me down?
    You've got him mixed up with Wayne Mumford who was appointed at about the same time I think.
    Yeah, not a surprise - it's why I was happy to blame my memory.
  • edited August 2021
    Drove this morning behind a very smart Tesla with a very unique personalised GED number plate, and wondered if this was our man. 

If you had wound the window your would have heard a theme tune blasting out of the speakers.

Make way for Roddy (Roddy!)
    He toots his horn to say, beep, beep, beep,
    Make way for Roddy (Roddy)
    Come on out Jacob and Play.
    Shout a big Hooray,
    Let get ready, and steady (GO) its a brilliant day for walking.
    Roddy’s  on his way!!
    He's driving in his Car, beep, beep, beep,
    The Valley can't be far,

I agree with this but until the rumours of Roddy identifying players and nepotism are put to bed there are always going to be very sceptical fans.
    The rumours will never go away. Charlton fans (probably all football fans actually) love a scapegoat. It's much easier up to point the finger at one person and blame problems on them than to accept that the whole club needs a fundamental restructure.

Sometimes it's actually fairly valid (the Spivs, Duchatalet and Southall's mob really did fuck their respective managers/the club in general over) but I don't think this a situation where if you got rid of Adkins/Gallen/Roddy it would be an instant fix.
  • Sponsored links:

• Having watched that video I now think people are barking up the wrong tree here. You can see what he enjoys and gets passionate about; a long term, holistic approach to developing young players. I do not see at all a bloke who enjoys the wheeler dealer world of recruitment, so I can't imagine why he would step on Gallen's (or Adkins') role to get into that area. What I'm hearing in respect of his involvement in the first team is structural - probably beefing up the fitness and medical side, and maybe the scouting structure. But vetoing individual first team recruits? I am not hearing any desire from him to get involved in that area. He has quite enough on his plate given that it looks like our academy production line might be faltering a bit. 

Frightening really how our fanbase can nowadays via social media create a vicious pile-on based on no evidence whatsoever. Probably led by fans who haven't seen this video and  would get bored with it after 30 seconds anyway.
    I totally agree with this assessment with the proviso that there still is the question of Jacob hanging over all of this. His recruitment (Jacobs) based on his recent history is nothing short of unbelievable. 
  • Having watched that video I now think people are barking up the wrong tree here. You can see what he enjoys and gets passionate about; a long term, holistic approach to developing young players. I do not see at all a bloke who enjoys the wheeler dealer world of recruitment, so I can't imagine why he would step on Gallen's (or Adkins') role to get into that area. What I'm hearing in respect of his involvement in the first team is structural - probably beefing up the fitness and medical side, and maybe the scouting structure. But vetoing individual first team recruits? I am not hearing any desire from him to get involved in that area. He has quite enough on his plate given that it looks like our academy production line might be faltering a bit. 

Frightening really how our fanbase can nowadays via social media create a vicious pile-on based on no evidence whatsoever. Probably led by fans who haven't seen this video and  would get bored with it after 30 seconds anyway.

Then what was the issue that Bowyer/Gallen had with Roddy in January?
  • alangee said:
    Having watched that video I now think people are barking up the wrong tree here. You can see what he enjoys and gets passionate about; a long term, holistic approach to developing young players. I do not see at all a bloke who enjoys the wheeler dealer world of recruitment, so I can't imagine why he would step on Gallen's (or Adkins') role to get into that area. What I'm hearing in respect of his involvement in the first team is structural - probably beefing up the fitness and medical side, and maybe the scouting structure. But vetoing individual first team recruits? I am not hearing any desire from him to get involved in that area. He has quite enough on his plate given that it looks like our academy production line might be faltering a bit. 

I have no idea. More importantly I have no idea what evidence exists to support the notion that they had an issue. So you tell me....

I totally agree with this assessment with the proviso that there still is the question of Jacob hanging over all of this. His recruitment (Jacobs) based on his recent history is nothing short of unbelievable. 
    Well that seems ill-advised, I agree,  although I also remember feeling a bit queasy about Alex Varney, and that seems not to have been anything...
  • It was something Airman said.
  • edited August 2021
    alangee said:
    Having watched that video I now think people are barking up the wrong tree here. You can see what he enjoys and gets passionate about; a long term, holistic approach to developing young players. I do not see at all a bloke who enjoys the wheeler dealer world of recruitment, so I can't imagine why he would step on Gallen's (or Adkins') role to get into that area. What I'm hearing in respect of his involvement in the first team is structural - probably beefing up the fitness and medical side, and maybe the scouting structure. But vetoing individual first team recruits? I am not hearing any desire from him to get involved in that area. He has quite enough on his plate given that it looks like our academy production line might be faltering a bit. 

Could be as simple as they had got used to being left alone and now they had someone to answer to. Not a problem with him personally necessarily.

He is is on the committee alongside TS, SG, NA for deciding which players we are signing (from TS at Bromley Addicks)

Richard Cawley also reported last week that he is in charge of the recruitment team.  SG role is dealing with agents, club and players transfer/contract talks  and also recommending players alongside those recommendations from GR recruitment team. 
  • So who or what is the GR recruitment team ? 
  • So who or what is the GR recruitment team ? 
    I think its more of a system the club have invested in (again from TS talking at Bromley Addicks) which Ged Roddy has a person or persons overseeing.  Have seen a name of Rueben mentioned at some point in the summer being involved
  • JohnnyH2 said:

He is is on the committee alongside TS, SG, NA for deciding which players we are signing (from TS at Bromley Addicks)

Richard Cawley also reported last week that he is in charge of the recruitment team.  SG role is dealing with agents, club and players transfer/contract talks  and also recommending players alongside those recommendations from GR recruitment team. 
    I've seen that tweet. Which RC, with great respect to him, will have dashed off without too much thought for wording. My point above is that the interview with Roddy does not suggest that's an accurate description of his main role and more importantly for me (as an executive search professional) the way he talks does not suggest to me that he would greatly enjoy such a role. 

We are 'recruiting" young players for the future, as well as first teamers for immediate needs. Based on his interview I'd have thought that's why Roddy is on the committee, for the youngsters. I don't see how what he describes would allow him to credibly veto whichever Ipswich signing some fans think should have been ours, and certainly not to veto a decent left back in order to create a pathway for his son. I mean, come on people, do you really think TS SG and NA wouldn't see right through that? Just stop and imagine the conversation around that...
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:

I've seen that tweet. Which RC, with great respect to him, will have dashed off without too much thought for wording. My point above is that the interview with Roddy does not suggest that's an accurate description of his main role and more importantly for me (as an executive search professional) the way he talks does not suggest to me that he would greatly enjoy such a role. 

We are 'recruiting" young players for the future, as well as first teamers for immediate needs. Based on his interview I'd have thought that's why Roddy is on the committee, for the youngsters. I don't see how what he describes would allow him to credibly veto whichever Ipswich signing some fans think should have been ours, and certainly not to veto a decent left back in order to create a pathway for his son. I mean, come on people, do you really think TS SG and NA wouldn't see right through that? Just stop and imagine the conversation around that...
    Have you never worked for a company where you are 'given' the Chairmans, board members/senior executives son or daughter, best friend of said executives son etc as an employee? I certainly have, more than once.

Not saying that's what's happened here, but it goes on in many places and I doubt football is that much different. Charlie Barker anyone?
  • Was there not speculation in the media that the one of the Freshfield lawyers was going to be appointed CEO by Thomas when he bought the club?  Or did i dream the whole thing. 
  • edited August 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Have you never worked for a company where you are 'given' the Chairmans, board members/senior executives son or daughter, best friend of said executives son etc as an employee? I certainly have, more than once.

Not saying that's what's happened here, but it goes on in many places and I doubt football is that much different. Charlie Barker anyone?
    Next time Im at The Valley I must check out the guys surname who flips the burgers across the road then we'll know for sure! ;)
  • JohnnyH2 said:

You think? I don't. 
    As you know, I’m not one to “knock” decent hard working journalists such as RC. However what he has written doesnt fit at all the role that Roddy outlines in that interview, or indeed the roles Roddy has fulfilled elsewhere. But it has certainly fuelled the lust for a simple, standalone scapegoat, which I doubt he intended.

So do you believe, then, that Roddy is to blame for our failure to recruit by blocking signings that Adkins and Gsllen wanted to make? And do you believe that specifically he has blocked the signing of another left back so as to promote the career of his son? ( I’d like to ask @Rob7Lee the same question) Because that is what a large number of fans are saying, apparently on nothing more hard evidence than RC’s tweet.

I could perhaps more easily believe that Roddy has hoodwinked the owner,  empire-built and manipulated everybody ( especially re his son) if he had been around for a while, because as @Rob7Lee says, it does happen. But usually with people whóve got their feet well under the table, or who had been employed by their boss elsewhere. 

Do we know, btw, how Roddy was recommended to Sandgaard? And are we clear that Roddy and Adkins have no previous history of working together? 
  • JohnnyH2 said:

You think? I don't. 
    As you know, I’m not one to “knock” decent hard working journalists such as RC. However what he has written doesnt fit at all the role that Roddy outlines in that interview, or indeed the roles Roddy has fulfilled elsewhere. But it has certainly fuelled the lust for a simple, standalone scapegoat, which I doubt he intended.

So do you believe, then, that Roddy is to blame for our failure to recruit by blocking signings that Adkins and Gsllen wanted to make? And do you believe that specifically he has blocked the signing of another left back so as to promote the career of his son? ( I’d like to ask @Rob7Lee the same question) Because that is what a large number of fans are saying, apparently on nothing more hard evidence than RC’s tweet.

I could perhaps more easily believe that Roddy has hoodwinked the owner,  empire-built and manipulated everybody ( especially re his son) if he had been around for a while, because as @Rob7Lee says, it does happen. But usually with people whóve got their feet well under the table, or who had been employed by their boss elsewhere. 

Do we know, btw, how Roddy was recommended to Sandgaard? And are we clear that Roddy and Adkins have no previous history of working together? 
    Roddy and Adkins have never worked together before.

Gallen, Adkins and Thomas have all publicly said Roddy and his team (who ever they are) are involved in the recruitment.

I agree Roddy is a convenient scapegoat.

The big questions for me are who advised Thomas he needed someone in Roddy's role, who recommended Roddy and who interviewed Roddy?   Who else, if anyone was considered/interviewed? 
  • Can anyone clarify if it's been mentioned who recommended Roddy to Thomas. Thomas has literally come into the world of English football from nowhere. What real due diligence has been done? 

Yes I'm gonna jump on this one again. I asked this a few days ago. For me it's key. Thomas didn't surely get an off the shelf replicate Brentford model with person 1,2,3 from Freshfields and Chris Mort did he? 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Yes. Several times.

But never once have I let them loose on managing either multi million pound contracts or dealing with clients of any significance until they've gained experience or have approved their worth.
  • Chris Mort would also be my guess being the Freshfields partner? who was advising TS previously involved at Newcastle IIRC.