Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

1242526272830»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Can't believe he was our first choice left back last season 

;)
  • Options
    He isn't as bad as many thought but he was tarred with the same brush as his father and would never achieve redemption.

Having said that he was never going to get more game time with us so a move is for the best
  • Options
    Agree we should be supportive. I nevertheless expect MS to have a major role in player identification from what TS himself has said. He certainly believes his son knows as much about the game as seasoned pros. 
    It’s quite possible that what he believes are says are quite different. Let’s hope so anyway.
    TS has proven to be a very open person who says what he believes and does what he says he’s going to do. 
    This aged well 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    I thought I read that TS appointed his son because someone at the club was not doing what he asked ...... Roddy?
    Most of them by the sounds of it.  Roddy won't be the last to go. 
    Who else do you think might go?
    Tommy himself within 3 years 
    Or even less 😀
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    He isn't as bad as many thought but he was tarred with the same brush as his father and would never achieve redemption.

Having said that he was never going to get more game time with us so a move is for the best
    We've seen him play, yes he was. 
  • Options
    If one can make the assumption that Jacob Roddy wants to build a life in football, having basic competence, desire, but a humble playing background can be a help in a lot of ways.
    I don’t think Karl Robinson, or Lennie Lawrence were players at much of a level, but their personal experience gave them an entree into a life in the game.
  • Options
    Some of the comments here and twitter are crazy, seen people saying he is terrible and good riddance, saw someone say everytime he plays for the first team he has been useless.

He has played 4 games for the first team(30 minutes v Crawley in the EFL Trophythis season, 6 minutes  v Cheltenham at the end of last season and 2 other cup games from 2 seasons ago)

Ridiculous to judge someone based on that(he has made mistakes for the u21s but he is still learning, i mean our senior defenders are making mistakes still, and alot of the people slagging him off haven't even seen him play for the u21s) 

Is he ever gonna make it in our first team probably not, but some of the comments just because people dont like his dad 
    I don't think most reasonable people would dislike his dad - why would they? - nor view Jacob's relative competence in the light of his dad's position.

What I think many would agree on is that that his initial contract at Charlton was as a result of his dad's position, and his extended contract was because he was cheap cover.

I have always viewed his 6 minutes at Cheltenham as a thank you - "here you go son, have a Football League appearance on your CV"...
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Some of the comments here and twitter are crazy, seen people saying he is terrible and good riddance, saw someone say everytime he plays for the first team he has been useless.

He has played 4 games for the first team(30 minutes v Crawley in the EFL Trophythis season, 6 minutes  v Cheltenham at the end of last season and 2 other cup games from 2 seasons ago)

Ridiculous to judge someone based on that(he has made mistakes for the u21s but he is still learning, i mean our senior defenders are making mistakes still, and alot of the people slagging him off haven't even seen him play for the u21s) 

Is he ever gonna make it in our first team probably not, but some of the comments just because people dont like his dad 
    I don't think most reasonable people would dislike his dad - why would they?
    You must have not been around for Roddymania... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw him play twice in pre season, thought he was awful. The guys at Eastbourne Borough made him look a right mug.
  • Options
    He is shit
    We only signed him due to his Dad
    We then had shit left back depth
    Our scouting team didn't scout him!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Depends on how bad we’re talking...

I’m convinced there’s some middle aged men in the fanbase so wound up by the Roddy family that they’re convinced they’d do a better job which is plainly not true.

He’s never shown anything to me that would suggest he’ll make it as an EFL regular. But even National League South you’ve got to be better than 99.9% of the general population.
    And yet he's had a wage off us now for how long? Even an extension. 

He's never making it in the football league and it was obvious years ago. 
  • Options

I don't think most reasonable people would dislike his dad - why would they? - nor view Jacob's relative competence in the light of his dad's position.

What I think many would agree on is that that his initial contract at Charlton was as a result of his dad's position, and his extended contract was because he was cheap cover.

I have always viewed his 6 minutes at Cheltenham as a thank you - "here you go son, have a Football League appearance on your CV"...
    Hate is a strong word but he is the man that created EPPP; seriously damaging clubs like ours who's academy has been so fundamental to our survival and whom have outperformed so many wealthier clubs for decades; so I am certainly not a fan of his. 

His son came here through nepotism and I guess remains through us needing to field an U23's so needing depth which we lack at LB it seems.

Whilst being National League South level makes you better than 99.9% of the general population it doesn't make you worthy of a L1 squad.

Hopefully with our new owners and some new scouts (they seem to be bolstering that which is good), then players like Roddy will be replaced by better kids falling out of PL academies or exciting prospects from elsewhere who may have a chance of making it.

• Options
     I hope Charlton have included a clause in the deal that he doesn’t return under any circumstances.
  • Options
    I've seen an improvement in his skin during his time with us, but sadly, nothing on the football side. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    He is shit
    We only signed him due to his Dad
    We then had shit left back depth
    Our scouting team didn't scout him!
    Tbf our scouting team didn't scout most players we signed between 2020 and 2023, if they did they should all be sacked.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Depends on how bad we’re talking...

I’m convinced there’s some middle aged men in the fanbase so wound up by the Roddy family that they’re convinced they’d do a better job which is plainly not true.

He’s never shown anything to me that would suggest he’ll make it as an EFL regular. But even National League South you’ve got to be better than 99.9% of the general population.
    And yet he's had a wage off us now for how long? Even an extension. 

He's never making it in the football league and it was obvious years ago. 
    Arsenal been paying him as well???