Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• CafcWest said:
    Jacob Roddy still listed on OS: https://www.charltonafc.com/player/9
    and your point is?

He had a long term injury. Came on as substitute for the under 21s a few weeks ago. Played well.
  • Crusty54 said:
    CafcWest said:
    Jacob Roddy still listed on OS: https://www.charltonafc.com/player/9
    and your point is?

He had a long term injury. Came on as substitute for the under 21s a few weeks ago. Played well.
    His last appearance was just before Christmas against Fulham when he came on as a 81st minute substitute 
  • @Crusty54

For 9 minutes..... Best you don't accept a job as chief scout......
  • Ok thanks guys.

That obviously was a long term injury that Jacob Roddy had. 
  • Crusty54 said:
    That wasn't the point.

He came on as a substitute after a long term injury and did a job.

He is at the club in his own right.
    He isn't. He's at the club because of his dad. If he makes it on his own merit then all good and fair play to him, but let's not suggest he would have been on Charlton's radar had his dad not worked for the club.
    That isn’t uncommon in football though. 

The first leg up may well be nepotism but thereafter it’s down to ability. 
  • Crusty54 said:
    That wasn't the point.

He isn't. He's at the club because of his dad. If he makes it on his own merit then all good and fair play to him, but let's not suggest he would have been on Charlton's radar had his dad not worked for the club.
    Unlucky to get injured. He is a useful utility defender having played at right and left back in the past and in the middle when he came on as substitute in the recent game. 

His father is no longer at the club so still in the academy structure on merit.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    That wasn't the point.

Unlucky to get injured. He is a useful utility defender having played at right and left back in the past and in the middle when he came on as substitute in the recent game. 

His father is no longer at the club so still in the academy structure on merit.

He has a contract to the end of the season which was signed when his dad was at the club, so he remains in our youth set up on merit only if we offer him a renewed contract in the summer.  We won't.
  • Charlie Barker is only here because of his dad Ritchie working at the club for a while. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlie Barker is only here because of his dad Ritchie working at the club for a while. 
    And Miles because of his Mum.
  • Leigh Hales because everyone was scared of his dad? 😆

My point remains nepotism is rife in Football to get that first chance. Even if it’s only a trial. 
  • Alex Varney
  • iaitch said:
    Tamar Tuna only got a chance because his dad appears on the big screen now and again. 
    and Mark Fish
  • MrOneLung said:
    iaitch said:
    Tamar Tuna only got a chance because his dad appears on the big screen now and again. 
    and Mark Fish
    Karen Eels
  •  And his brother Luke

not forgetting Mick and his son Rick worked at Charlton too 
    Reg drove the team bus 😉
  • He's back

• Sponsored links:

• Jacob Roddy played left back at the Valley yesterday for the u21s, played quite well I thought.
    Looked comfortable on the ball, from what I remember he seems to have filled out a bit.
  • Jacob has joined Weston Super Mare on loan.
  • Jacob has joined Weston Super Mare on loan.
    Surprised it's his first loan spell away. Only NLS as well.
  • From what I've seen, this could be a level too high. Lets be honest, he was at Charlton for one reason only, even if he outlasted his dad.
  • National League South could well be Roddy's level or Jacob's ladder back up the football Pyramid 🙄
  • 16th in National League South. Still can't get my head around why we extended his contract. Waste of money.
  • 16th in National League South. Still can't get my head around why we extended his contract. Waste of money.
    To give the u21 squad more depth? Can’t see any other reason.
  • Good luck to him.
    Different positions, but to me he is similar to Josh Davison and I think their respective football careers will follow similar paths.
  • Scoham said:
    16th in National League South. Still can't get my head around why we extended his contract. Waste of money.
    To give the u21 squad more depth? Can’t see any other reason.
    He was "lucky" in that as a club we've been curiously lacking in left backs coming through in recent years.