Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• It's good to read some thoughtful posts here, I found myself liking several, even though they disagree with each other on several aspects.

It does rather look that there's a consensus the absence of a CEO is becoming an issue. I've always had a problem with the "CEO" title in football clubs; the job description doesn't fit that of CEO in normal businesses of similar size turnover because in most cases the business does not operate successfully without the financial benevolence of the owner. In most businesses the CEO is responsible for business strategy that generates the revenue to build for the long-term. That's impossible to do in most football clubs, yet unfortunately it hasn't stopped football paying eye watering salaries to so-called CEOs on the basis that that's what CEOs earn in other companies. So it's worth remembering that recruiting a decent CEO with the money in our budget will probably be just as challenging as recruiting a decent second striker. I think if we were to look carefully at other clubs we see that it took a while before new owners started delegating extensively to a CEO. Abramovich was very hands-on in the early days when they did things like stealing Parker, but he had no choice but to look to delegate to competent business managers later on,  especially when coming under pressure from Uncle Vlad to spend more time running Kamchatka. (the far east Russian region, not a football club!). You can understand why an owner like Thomas who likes football, would feel he's earned the right to be his own CEO for a while. But I would guess that he will soon feel the pressure to delegate more, especially as posted by @WishIdStayedinthePub in the Savings and Investment thread, his company's earnings have taken a dip recently and  small investors are suggesting that he is spending too much time on his football club.

The other point I'd like to make can be summarised in one word: Ipswich. I've not read that anyone has bothered to look in detail at what their fans are saying, but I doubt if it is much more reasonable than our overall response, if you include the hysteria of Charlton Twitter. For the moment, in the absence of any more understanding from the home of the Champions, it's reasonable to conclude from there  that  size of the budget is not the overriding factor in explaining our poor start. Nor is it likely to be any one other factor, or the fault of any one individual, even if I can understand the disquiet around Jacob Roddy.
    That's not something I would expect TS to personally sort - apart from anything else, he wouldn't know where Gravesend or Larkfield are!
    For shame!
  • SamE7 said:
    Don't blame it on Sandgaard
    Don't blame it on Adkins
    Don't blame it on Gallen
    Blame it on Ged Roddy

• It's good to read some thoughtful posts here, I found myself liking several, even though they disagree with each other on several aspects.

It does rather look that there's a consensus the absence of a CEO is becoming an issue. I've always had a problem with the "CEO" title in football clubs; the job description doesn't fit that of CEO in normal businesses of similar size turnover because in most cases the business does not operate successfully without the financial benevolence of the owner. In most businesses the CEO is responsible for business strategy that generates the revenue to build for the long-term. That's impossible to do in most football clubs, yet unfortunately it hasn't stopped football paying eye watering salaries to so-called CEOs on the basis that that's what CEOs earn in other companies. So it's worth remembering that recruiting a decent CEO with the money in our budget will probably be just as challenging as recruiting a decent second striker. I think if we were to look carefully at other clubs we see that it took a while before new owners started delegating extensively to a CEO. Abramovich was very hands-on in the early days when they did things like stealing Parker, but he had no choice but to look to delegate to competent business managers later on,  especially when coming under pressure from Uncle Vlad to spend more time running Kamchatka. (the far east Russian region, not a football club!). You can understand why an owner like Thomas who likes football, would feel he's earned the right to be his own CEO for a while. But I would guess that he will soon feel the pressure to delegate more, especially as posted by @WishIdStayedinthePub in the Savings and Investment thread, his company's earnings have taken a dip recently and  small investors are suggesting that he is spending too much time on his football club.

The other point I'd like to make can be summarised in one word: Ipswich. I've not read that anyone has bothered to look in detail at what their fans are saying, but I doubt if it is much more reasonable than our overall response, if you include the hysteria of Charlton Twitter. For the moment, in the absence of any more understanding from the home of the Champions, it's reasonable to conclude from there  that  size of the budget is not the overriding factor in explaining our poor start. Nor is it likely to be any one other factor, or the fault of any one individual, even if I can understand the disquiet around Jacob Roddy.
    Roman was at least largely based in London, plus Chelsea would have had a far higher level of senior staff, as a big PL club - they were a top 10 side before Roman appeared -  than us languishing in L1/lower Championship. I very much doubt Roman would have been heavily involved in the detail behind ticket pricing, catering arrangements, coach times, hand dryers in the toilets, tannoy speakers etc. 

There's still enough nonsense, slightly tarnishing the matchday experience, that could be fixed with a competent full time CEO, able to change things or bang heads together, the coach times for Gillingham being the latest example of problems which have been around for years. That's not something I would expect TS to personally sort - apart from anything else, he wouldn't know where Gravesend or Larkfield are!
    Oh was "Roman", now? That would have made him "ordinarily resident" for UK income tax purposes. But never mind. The pointI wanted to make is that if you are a successful business person and you buy a football club for reasons of personal interest, and on top of that you love the whole football experience, it is understandable if at least at first you think, I can manage this. And then you find out that you can't, without using up a huge amount of time on irritating details, and often involving irritating people. I expect young (24!!!)  Mr Louis-Dreyfuss will rapidly come to that conclusion as he starts to fully appreciate how much Sunderland is not (Olympique or the city) Marseille . 
  • Do.people actually know what Ipswich and Wigan's wage bills are then, or, assumptions? 

🙂
    Assumptions primarily. 

The rumour is/was that Wyke and Pigott are both on, in the region of, 10k a week.  I suspect that is probably less with Pigott.

But compare those 2 with Stockley who cost a fee and the total wage + fee is probably very close to being the same.  All 3 would have got signing on fees etc.  That to me suggests preference, not budget.

If you take Wigan out the equation I would suggest that Charlton and Ipswich are very similar clubs in terms of costs and revenue, unless someone can tell me otherwise?  It's very hard to guess as Ipswich have never posted accounts for a "normal" league 1 season.

Ipswich have made a net profit on player acquisitions and disposals.  We have made a net loss of about a million quid.

If you strip out historic player income and paper money out of the accounts I would suggest both clubs would be at about break even before they pay the 1st team set up anything.

We know the average wage in league 1 is about 2.7k a week, from the salary cap, based in 25 players that's nearly 4 million a year. We also know most of our first team are on a lot more than that and us and Ipswich have significantly (hard to believe with us) more than 25 pros and relatively highly paid managers etc.   So a normal wage bill would be in the region of 8ish million quid?  Again correct me if I am wrong or my assumptions are.

So that's your pre player trading loss. Every year.

If you now pay your top 10 players 10 grand a week, instead of 5 that increases your wage bill, and therefor your loss, by about 2.5 million a year.  Unless you buy crap you should have significantly more better players and there is no guarantee you will get promoted this season your chances significantly improve.  All your effectively doing is push 3 years losses into 2 years.  If it fails and you haven't got 1 or 2 players you can flog to cover the EXTRA loss you have totally ballsed it up and have bigger problems.

What you can't do is pay nearly doubt the odds in the championship because that couple of million extra quickly spirals into the 10s of millions and becomes impossible to manage.

TLDR: Ipswich aren't gambling much more than us. 
  • edited August 2021
    @Cafc43v3r you say 

“Ipswich have made a net profit on player acquisitions and disposals.  We have made a net loss of about a million quid.”

What sources have you used for that? I dont have anything to contradict it, because I dont know what reliable source would be available at this stage, but I can’t see that is anything more than an assumption. 

A number of respected media commentators, including Kieran Maguire have alluded to Ipswich “really going for it”, and I certainly wouldn't contradict him without some very solid facts.
  • edited August 2021
    We paid a fee for Stockley, Kirk and Clare and haven't sold anyone.  So I would say that's either right or close? 

Ipswich received a fee for Dozzell, Downes and the youth team player to Norwich who's name escapes me.  Transfer market, that ever reliable source, has them at net - 1 million but doesn't include Downes's fee nor the youth player.

The point about transfer fees was, in the scheme of things, there net spend isn't much different to us.  Of the 16 signings 9 are either on loan or free, the other 7 have been covered by sales.

They clearly are really going for it but it's not the "shit or bust" that a lot have people here are suggesting because by not going for it they would have lost about 75% of what they will lose anyway.  

Comparing them purley to us if neither of us go up they will probably lose about 3 million quid more than us.  Which isn't unrealistic to cover by selling 1 or 2 players like Pigott or Fraser, for example.  Their more risky signings like Carroll are only on 1 year contracts.

As proved during the Roland years not going for it, for a club of our size, is probably more expensive, in league 1, than having a proper go for 2 years.

I don't think any of my assumptions are far off? 
  • Sponsored links:

• and yes, I did read every word
  • Rothko said:
    and yes, I did read every word
    #Metoo I even understood it all but was left disappointed there was no mention of the clubhouse 
  • thenewbie said:
    That's all well and good but the fact remains that in terms of both results and performance the team is CURRENTLY a retrograde step to the one that finished last season. And the ones who have overseen this regression are entirely selected and recruited by Thomas Sandgaard thus he must bear at least part of the responsibility.

I repeat that I bear no ill will towards Sandgaard. I respect his achievements and am grateful for his actions in salvaging the club from an even worse predicament. That does not mean that I'm willing to pretend a dramatic decline (from his own period of control last season) is not worrying.

His motives are good. His intentions are good. I fully understand he is following a process and that he is attempting to improve things. I merely question whether he is succeeding.
    It may be “retrograde” in terms of on the pitch performances, but it’s certainly a step forward that this is the main source of contention. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    We paid a fee for Stockley, Kirk and Clare and haven't sold anyone.  So I would say that's either right or close? 

Ipswich received a fee for Dozzell, Downes and the youth team player to Norwich who's name escapes me.  Transfer market, that ever reliable source, has them at net - 1 million but doesn't include Downes's fee nor the youth player.

The point about transfer fees was, in the scheme of things, there net spend isn't much different to us.  Of the 16 signings 9 are either on loan or free, the other 7 have been covered by sales.

They clearly are really going for it but it's not the "shit or bust" that a lot have people here are suggesting because by not going for it they would have lost about 75% of what they will lose anyway.  

Comparing them purley to us if neither of us go up they will probably lose about 3 million quid more than us.  Which isn't unrealistic to cover by selling 1 or 2 players like Pigott or Fraser, for example.  Their more risky signings like Carroll are only on 1 year contracts.

As proved during the Roland years not going for it, for a club of our size, is probably more expensive, in league 1, than having a proper go for 2 years.

I think they are as reasonable as any of us fans could make, in order to justify an assertion. And you might in the end be right. However I'd trust Kieran Maguire to have more knowledge of the matter than anyone on here. 

The other thing to remember is that the EFL share the operating P&L's from previous season among all clubs in the division. So if budget is an issue it is either because Thomas has taken some kind of gamble that he can outperform the budget; or, the market has not behaved in the way they may have expected when setting the budget. There are reasons to think the latter, because again a lot of informed commentators believed that there would be a lot of good players let go because of Covid related financial pressure, and I am not sure that has come to pass...or a couple of clubs in this division (Ipswich and Wigan) are not behaving financially as generally assumed would be the case. But your guess is as good as mine. I'd just prefer to wait for a  bit more solid evidence. 

However one thing Ipswich tells us is that things can go badly wrong elsewhere despite new owners coming in and financing sweeping changes to the playing squad.So chucking more money at it is no panacea for getting out of this division.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I think they are as reasonable as any of us fans could make, in order to justify an assertion. And you might in the end be right. However I'd trust Kieran Maguire to have more knowledge of the matter than anyone on here. 

The other thing to remember is that the EFL share the operating P&L's from previous season among all clubs in the division. So if budget is an issue it is either because Thomas has taken some kind of gamble that he can outperform the budget; or, the market has not behaved in the way they may have expected when setting the budget. There are reasons to think the latter, because again a lot of informed commentators believed that there would be a lot of good players let go because of Covid related financial pressure, and I am not sure that has come to pass...or a couple of clubs in this division (Ipswich and Wigan) are not behaving financially as generally assumed would be the case. But your guess is as good as mine. I'd just prefer to wait for a  bit more solid evidence. 

However one thing Ipswich tells us is that things can go badly wrong elsewhere despite new owners coming in and financing sweeping changes to the playing squad.So chucking more money at it is no panacea for getting out of this division.
    I don't disagree with any of that but my main point was:  Ipswich aren't gambling much more than us. 

The big difference is we are very unlikely to come up trumps, as Roland proved.   If we are indeed running a too small budget for which it is to early to be sure. 

2018/19 was far more luck than judgment and careful longterm planning. 
  • edited August 2021
    Rothko said:
    Me three!
    👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Ego’s mentioned………stand back! Blue touch paper ignited 🤯
  • I’ve held off ‘lobbing any bricks’ re roddy until yesterday as didn’t see that it would be very constructive and when there is anew broom in town there will always be a few noses put out of joint but if we hav3 a thread about him and r discussing possible reason# as to why the r3cruitmen5 and team performance is dissapointing, it felt right to add what I had been told by people who have been interacting with him - not staff but people who you should be trying to keep happy if u r in roddys position - they have a low opinion of him and Some of the things he has orchestrated to date

• Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    I'm gonna quote him in a minute 
    Please don’t. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Airman Brown, you mention that maybe the budget may be a problem.  To your knowledge, is Andrew Barclay still interested in investing in any way or in the future. To be clear  I mean as well as Sandgaard not instead of?! 
    I can’t speak for AB. I would think that the issue for most people remains “invest in what”? The club currently is its goodwill and place in the EFL offset by its losses. Arguably the value of that to an investor is negative.
    Have you seen any red flags with the current regime to make you concerned about anything yet @Airman Brown
    I don’t see anything that puts the future of the club at risk, so the answer to that is no. In addition I am personally involved in a dialogue that will hopefully address some longstanding issues for the benefit of both the club and fans. If people cannot see beyond that being about ego so be it. But I find the dialogue encouraging and I pass that on for what it’s worth.
    Interesting, so what could that be then...

15% potholes
    20% chip count
    50% Airman joins as CEO
    15% Airman becomes programme editor.

• edited August 2021
  • edited August 2021
    [A long detailed post - please don't quote it in full - AW]
    There’s a typo in there…
  • PWR so don’t know it this has been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Ive just seen a weird series of tweets on Twitter - I suspect it’s a spoof account, but makes ‘interesting’ reading - sorry I can’t embed the tweets

https://twitter.com/byumnam6/status/1428472540167643136?s=21

https://twitter.com/byumnam6/status/1428460714742665222?s=21