Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    The Mervyn Day hate was exactly what sprung to my mind, too. 
    Despite the grief he got, MD was a highly qualified coach that was appointed for a valid reason .  Roddy serves no purpose whatsoever..
  • J BLOCK said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Airman Brown, you mention that maybe the budget may be a problem.  To your knowledge, is Andrew Barclay still interested in investing in any way or in the future. To be clear  I mean as well as Sandgaard not instead of?! 
    I can’t speak for AB. I would think that the issue for most people remains “invest in what”? The club currently is its goodwill and place in the EFL offset by its losses. Arguably the value of that to an investor is negative.
    Have you seen any red flags with the current regime to make you concerned about anything yet Airman? 
    Budget issues is a red flag to me.
    Airman mentioned yesterday that we weren't willing to pay the wages for a few players. 

How can he talk about Europe and not even pay League one wages?!
    In fairness Wigan and Ipswich are paying silly money on wages, I wouldn't expect us to go toe to toe with that.
    There has been a lot of talk that our problem in bringing in players has been that we set our sights too high, the players that we have been chasing have been Championship quality. How did we expect to sign Championship quality players on League 1 wages ?
  • wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    Despite the grief he got, MD was a highly qualified coach that was appointed for a valid reason .  Roddy serves no purpose whatsoever..
    Yep, Sandgaard decided to let the guy just sit around with his feet up collecting a wage for nothing, which is a very sensible and logical decision.

Not.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    We paid a fee for Stockley, Kirk and Clare and haven't sold anyone.  So I would say that's either right or close? 

Ipswich received a fee for Dozzell, Downes and the youth team player to Norwich who's name escapes me.  Transfer market, that ever reliable source, has them at net - 1 million but doesn't include Downes's fee nor the youth player.

The point about transfer fees was, in the scheme of things, there net spend isn't much different to us.  Of the 16 signings 9 are either on loan or free, the other 7 have been covered by sales.

They clearly are really going for it but it's not the "shit or bust" that a lot have people here are suggesting because by not going for it they would have lost about 75% of what they will lose anyway.  

Comparing them purley to us if neither of us go up they will probably lose about 3 million quid more than us.  Which isn't unrealistic to cover by selling 1 or 2 players like Pigott or Fraser, for example.  Their more risky signings like Carroll are only on 1 year contracts.

As proved during the Roland years not going for it, for a club of our size, is probably more expensive, in league 1, than having a proper go for 2 years.

I don't think any of my assumptions are far off? 
    Thing about net spend though - if they sell a player for £1m and buy in 5 players for the same amount, that's not the same thing as doing nothing, despite the net spend equivalence. Could you imagine the difference it would have made if the Lookman money went on players. 

The bottom line is that if your ins and outs don't improve your squad then I'd argue you have a net deficit on the measure that really counts. Time will tell if Ipswich brought in the right ones, but they were poor last year. I'd say it wasn't up for argument that we've got a worse squad than last year. By some distance. 
  • cafctom said:
    Here’s a take that might not sit well with everyone, but I’ll say it anyway…..

As a fanbase, have we just become so used to having to deal with idiots at the club over the past decade or so that we’ve got to a point now where we’re just seeking out people to have a go at with very little evidence to go on?

Now I have my suspicions on the Roddy front, but that’s all they are. Some people here or on social media are talking about him as some almighty enemy that will hold the club back unless we rid him instantly. What basis is there for that?

We’re an established third division club. Guess what? We’ll go on losing runs, like everyone else. We’ll also have underwhelming transfer windows - again, just like everyone else. 

I’ve watched every game so far, and haven’t enjoyed what I’ve seen, but have we really become that fanbase that just seemingly spins a bottle at random and just go after anyone whose role we don’t know or understand?

Part of me thinks that we’ve spent so long fighting the likes of Roland, Southall, Elliott, Nimer, the EFL etc that it’s become part of our nature to forensically analyse literally every person who walks into the club and kick up a fuss at the slightest thing.
    To be fair, I think our history justifies us doing so.

However, I take your point that it's not clear as yet if it is valid for Roddy. 
  • Yeah, I can see the point being made and agree to a large extent but we've looked enough gift horses in the mouth (and been subsequently kicked in the metaphorical bollocks) that I can't really say it's not an understandable position.

I've said before that I am trying in my own mind to distinguish between chancers/conmen like Southall and we'll intentioned but currently struggling systems like Sandgaard's.

It's worth repeating that in no way do I (currently) question the motives of TS but that doesn't mean I'm not baffled and concerned by the direction of his leadership currently.

I also think that it's important to avoid trying to pin all the problems on any one individual, like a magic bullet - like presuming Roddy going would suddenly fix everything overnight.
  • Sponsored links:

• "Roddy is technical director and oversees all footballing matters at the football club for the men, women and academy – as well as recruitment and the medical set-up. It was his desire for a pathway for coaches, as well as players, that saw Jason Euell promoted to first-team coach with Anthony Hayes taking charge of the U23s.

Players are identified by a combination of analysts, scouts and director of football Gallen."

An interesting part for me. It does seem that Roddy is not in fact responsible for actually identifying players at all, which was a common belief. If anything he is (supposed to be) a link between all the different footballing departments (as opposed to the commercial ones under Mumford) but whether or not he's doing that successfully I suppose is still questionable.
  • Chunes said:
    This morning I was enjoying my usual cup of tea but when I dipped my hobnob in, it broke off and fell into the tea. I am 99% sure Ged Roddy was behind this.
    MBE

Moist Biscuit Exterminator 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Hmmm…trying to clip the quotes related to the transfer process:

“There are maybe a couple of players playing in the Wigan team that we wanted to go and get – we couldn’t get anywhere near the wages they’re paying... We’ve got a director of football, a technical director, an owner, myself and a budget – everyone has got to work within those parameters.
  • thenewbie said:
    "Roddy is technical director and oversees all footballing matters at the football club for the men, women and academy – as well as recruitment and the medical set-up. It was his desire for a pathway for coaches, as well as players, that saw Jason Euell promoted to first-team coach with Anthony Hayes taking charge of the U23s.

Players are identified by a combination of analysts, scouts and director of football Gallen."

An interesting part for me. It does seem that Roddy is not in fact responsible for actually identifying players at all, which was a common belief. If anything he is (supposed to be) a link between all the different footballing departments (as opposed to the commercial ones under Mumford) but whether or not he's doing that successfully I suppose is still questionable.
    If this is so then it is quite some coincidence that his son was 'discovered'.
    It definitely is. But I do think that at least according to the official party line, Roddy is not any part of the scouting team so blaming him for "bad" signings is a little unfair.
  • se9addick said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

“There are maybe a couple of players playing in the Wigan team that we wanted to go and get – we couldn’t get anywhere near the wages they’re paying... We’ve got a director of football, a technical director, an owner, myself and a budget – everyone has got to work within those parameters.
    Perhaps if we had less in the chain, we could spend a bit more on wages for players.
  • “Jacob came in on trial because there was a gap there as we’d released our left back. He’s previously been at Southampton academy up until he was 16 and in the last two years he took up a scholarship at Bradfield College near Reading, so that’s where he currently is, currently finishing his A Levels… which is a very good football school I might add. 

“He came in on trial even as early as March initially... dislocated his shoulder in one of the trial games so then had to come back again a few weeks later before we made that decision. He is very quick, athletic which, in particular, impresses you, with good height as well, great energy to get up and down which I think is needed of a full back in the modern game, with a sweet left foot as well. So I’m really looking forward to taking Jacob forward as well.”

• wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    I thought Roddy did have a purpose to take our category 2 Academy up to category 1status and that youth organisation of what is required to achieve this is within his skill set.

However, whether he is treading on toes or exceeding his given brief, doesn't seem clear, with the lack of factual evidence out in the public domain.  
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    thenewbie said:
    "Roddy is technical director and oversees all footballing matters at the football club for the men, women and academy – as well as recruitment and the medical set-up. It was his desire for a pathway for coaches, as well as players, that saw Jason Euell promoted to first-team coach with Anthony Hayes taking charge of the U23s.

We've been told it's a recruitment committee, I read it as:

Scouts, Gallen, Adkins, Secondary schools, data analysts identify players, they get put forward to Roddy as the technical director and, if they meet with the vision for the club and the pathway from academy - first team, or, in regards to senior players, do they meet the team/ footballing philosophy, then the committee discusses next steps. 

Sound idea.

Just depends on how strict the requirements are, and how often sandgaard suggests 30 year old Danish strikers. 

😉

• cafctom said:
    Here’s a take that might not sit well with everyone, but I’ll say it anyway…..

As a fanbase, have we just become so used to having to deal with idiots at the club over the past decade or so that we’ve got to a point now where we’re just seeking out people to have a go at with very little evidence to go on?

Now I have my suspicions on the Roddy front, but that’s all they are. Some people here or on social media are talking about him as some almighty enemy that will hold the club back unless we rid him instantly. What basis is there for that?

We’re an established third division club. Guess what? We’ll go on losing runs, like everyone else. We’ll also have underwhelming transfer windows - again, just like everyone else. 

I’ve watched every game so far, and haven’t enjoyed what I’ve seen, but have we really become that fanbase that just seemingly spins a bottle at random and just go after anyone whose role we don’t know or understand?

Part of me thinks that we’ve spent so long fighting the likes of Roland, Southall, Elliott, Nimer, the EFL etc that it’s become part of our nature to forensically analyse literally every person who walks into the club and kick up a fuss at the slightest thing.
    Spot on 
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

It definitely is. But I do think that at least according to the official party line, Roddy is not any part of the scouting team so blaming him for "bad" signings is a little unfair.
    According to the report the recruitment team is overseen by him which I would read as reporting in.  It appears Gallen's remit is dealing with agents and then negotiates with agents and clubs.  Gallen will also recommend players as he is part of the overall recruitment committee.

I wonder how many of the other 23 Division 3 clubs are set up like this
  • Cafc43v3r said:

“Jacob came in on trial because there was a gap there as we’d released our left back. He’s previously been at Southampton academy up until he was 16 and in the last two years he took up a scholarship at Bradfield College near Reading, so that’s where he currently is, currently finishing his A Levels… which is a very good football school I might add. 

“He came in on trial even as early as March initially... dislocated his shoulder in one of the trial games so then had to come back again a few weeks later before we made that decision. He is very quick, athletic which, in particular, impresses you, with good height as well, great energy to get up and down which I think is needed of a full back in the modern game, with a sweet left foot as well. So I’m really looking forward to taking Jacob forward as well.”

Is this a real quote? Not sure who said this or when. 
  • The longer is goes on without getting a recognised Left Back the more it looks like a conflict of interest with Roddy’s son being there . 
  • Agreed. I think it’s naive at best to recruit a family member. Surely the inevitable conflict of interest would be uppermost in your thoughts.
  • The longer is goes on without getting a recognised Left Back the more it looks like a conflict of interest with Roddy’s son being there . 
    Not until he starts actually playing regularly it doesn't. The whole thing about him getting the contract is suspect I agree but I can't see it actually being a conflict of interest for the first team.

If we don't sign a left back at all in the remainder of the window then I will be happy to admit I was wrong but we're not there yet.
  • se9addick said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

And when we've weighed all them out there's f**k all left for players wages!

*Joke
  • edited August 2021
    JohnnyH2 said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

According to the report the recruitment team is overseen by him which I would read as reporting in.  It appears Gallen's remit is dealing with agents and then negotiates with agents and clubs.  Gallen will also recommend players as he is part of the overall recruitment committee.

I wonder how many of the other 23 Division 3 clubs are set up like this

I don't know about League One, but I think it's pretty standard in the higher divisions, and is definitely how football is going. It's different to how recruitment was traditionally done, but things have changed, and I don't see them going back to the way that they were. The link below is a couple of years old now, but discusses the set up at all of the Premier League clubs at the time: