Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:

“Jacob came in on trial because there was a gap there as we’d released our left back. He’s previously been at Southampton academy up until he was 16 and in the last two years he took up a scholarship at Bradfield College near Reading, so that’s where he currently is, currently finishing his A Levels… which is a very good football school I might add

“He came in on trial even as early as March initially... dislocated his shoulder in one of the trial games so then had to come back again a few weeks later before we made that decision. He is very quick, athletic which, in particular, impresses you, with good height as well, great energy to get up and down which I think is needed of a full back in the modern game, with a sweet left foot as well. So I’m really looking forward to taking Jacob forward as well.”

Yada Yada Yada Nige.

List of old Bradfieldians that have gone onto flourishing football careers:

Faiq Bolkiah (born 1998), Bruneian footballer

Dai Wai-tsun (born 1999), Hong Kong footballer

Don't half chat some shit at times does our Nige.
    People have compared him to Slade but there's more than a smattering of the Dowies if you ask me.
  • thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

“Jacob came in on trial because there was a gap there as we’d released our left back. He’s previously been at Southampton academy up until he was 16 and in the last two years he took up a scholarship at Bradfield College near Reading, so that’s where he currently is, currently finishing his A Levels… which is a very good football school I might add. 

“He came in on trial even as early as March initially... dislocated his shoulder in one of the trial games so then had to come back again a few weeks later before we made that decision. He is very quick, athletic which, in particular, impresses you, with good height as well, great energy to get up and down which I think is needed of a full back in the modern game, with a sweet left foot as well. So I’m really looking forward to taking Jacob forward as well.”

Is this a real quote? Not sure who said this or when. 
    Sorry I ment to add the link, Avory said it when discussing the U18s contracts.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60e2c532e563d/academy-player-update-new-contracts-and-new-arrivals
  • Chunes said:
    This morning I was enjoying my usual cup of tea but when I dipped my hobnob in, it broke off and fell into the tea. I am 99% sure Ged Roddy was behind this.
    That's outrageous .... No one dunks hobnobs in Tea. Coffee, Yes. But Tea
  • edited August 2021
    The longer is goes on without getting a recognised Left Back the more it looks like a conflict of interest with Roddy’s son being there . 
    I personally would like to watch Jacob Roddy in the under 23, to see if he stands out and his ability in overlapping as a natural LB. To be in Southampton academy until he was 16, he must have some talent.
    When the whole team are underperforming it is difficult to make a mark but on first showing (Wimbledon game for me) he looks short of being a 1st team squad member. He may well develop as TBF Ian Maatsen was 18 as well last season and his defending was poor considering he was one of the Myriad of players at Chelsea.
  • thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

“Jacob came in on trial because there was a gap there as we’d released our left back. He’s previously been at Southampton academy up until he was 16 and in the last two years he took up a scholarship at Bradfield College near Reading, so that’s where he currently is, currently finishing his A Levels… which is a very good football school I might add. 

Unfair by me to say this after only a brief glimpse of Jacob but to me he looks anything but an “athlete”. 
  • edited August 2021
    Many thanks to @thenewbie for pointing out its Anthony Hayes and not Ben Hayes who is now in charge of the U23.

I wondered if it was the reward for being the supporter's Director back in the day (2007/08) and a task Ben carried out will aplomb.
  • thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Unfair by me to say this after only a brief glimpse of Jacob but to me he looks anything but an “athlete”. 
    Inclined to agree but Avory has seen more than I have and doesn't strike me as a yes-man or interested in playing politics so maybe Roddy Jr just hasn't shown his full ability yet.
  • well it’s looking to me like all questions are leading to TS and not giving a big enough budget to assemble a promotion team - we are all thankful he has saved us but the coaching progression and the  switch in keeper coaching in particular could all be seen as cost cutting as well if looked at cynically and were both overseen by roddy - seems to me we are saying all the right things about long term strategy etc etc but right now it looks like we have stripped the football side right back and we will end up having a season that reflects that unless we bring 5 or 6 quality operators in before it’s too late 
  • Sponsored links:

• MattF said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

“Jacob came in on trial because there was a gap there as we’d released our left back. He’s previously been at Southampton academy up until he was 16 and in the last two years he took up a scholarship at Bradfield College near Reading, so that’s where he currently is, currently finishing his A Levels… which is a very good football school I might add

Yada Yada Yada Nige.

List of old Bradfieldians that have gone onto flourishing football careers:

Faiq Bolkiah (born 1998), Bruneian footballer

Dai Wai-tsun (born 1999), Hong Kong footballer

Don't half chat some shit at times does our Nige.
    People have compared him to Slade but there's more than a smattering of the Dowies if you ask me.
    Actually it's Steve Avory who said that
    which is a very good football school I might add

this sounds like an attempt to justify the situation to me ...... like if my boss has tells me to take on his son. 
  • Bradfield College doesn’t sound like the sort of place that would produce a conveyor belt of good footballers, but I’ll take Avory’s word for it.
  • se9addick said:
    Bradfield College doesn’t sound like the sort of place that would produce a conveyor belt of good footballers, but I’ll take Avory’s word for it.
    The Football Programme: Developing more than just footballers - Bradfield College
  • se9addick said:
    Bradfield College doesn’t sound like the sort of place that would produce a conveyor belt of good footballers, but I’ll take Avory’s word for it.
    The Football Programme: Developing more than just footballers - Bradfield College
    At least he had a weekly dance class....... 
  • Addickted said:
    ... we have four permanent parking bays at Macro's car park. But we're all Charlton.
    I didn't know about these parking bays. Are they together in a 2x2 pattern and, if so, are they large enough to host an octagon or traditional shaped ring?
  • se9addick said:
     The Senior Elite Football Programme is about more than football, it is about the holistic development of the individual.”

Never mind the “holistic development of the individual” - I would have settled for the holistic development of a left back! 
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

He didn't look quick, he looked average.
    He didn't appear to have good height, he looked like a school kid playing against men.
    He looked terrified to get up, but was ok at going backwards. (Just my opinion). 
    Mind you if Avory was discussing his performance for the academy then it could well be accurate.
  • thenewbie said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    The Mervyn Day hate was exactly what sprung to my mind, too. 
    Despite the grief he got, MD was a highly qualified coach that was appointed for a valid reason .  Roddy serves no purpose whatsoever..
    Yep, Sandgaard decided to let the guy just sit around with his feet up collecting a wage for nothing, which is a very sensible and logical decision.

Not.
    What’s your explanation then ?
  • Sponsored links:

• On Grapevine's specific point about the 2010 takeover, the reality is that the club would have gone into administration at Christmas 2010 and may well have ended up being relegated to League Two, assuming it emerged, which I do. I think everyone now accepts that Jimenez and Slater were not suitable owners, but at the time PV was not employed by the club and Richard Murray was the sole owner. Varney had intervened with various board members to help prevent a takeover by the Sainsbury crowd, which included our friend Lee Amis - in effect an ESI prequel. However that was not a solution. He took responsibility and eventually introduced Jimenez and Slater, who were not his first choice. Murray sold it to them.

Whatever the risks attached to that and who they turned out to be, the outcome for the club was promotion the following season and four years of Championship football against administration without it. It wasn't even a choice between the spivs and a continuation of what went before. Varney, Steve Kavanagh and about a dozen lower level managers were the people who suffered after 2012, but the club did not go down and the ground did not get sold as part of some property game with the peninsula. It is a stretch to blame Varney for Duchatelet and the separation of club and stadium ownership eight years after he left, although nobody is saying the spivs were ideal, least of all those of us who dealt with them. There is a long chain of cause and effect back to 2005, and it could have been broken at multiple points.

Had PV wanted to return as chief executive in 2010/11 he surely could have done. He did not. To think his attempts to rescue Charlton are down to ego is a complete misunderstanding of the personalities and facts on the ground and to ignore what he actually did 1997-2008 and subsequently. In my view the club needs an experienced and competent chief executive based at The Valley full-time. It does not follow that this needs to be or could be PV.
    I agree with that. This of course makes us both "numbskulls"  :)
  • wmcf123 said:
    thenewbie said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    The Mervyn Day hate was exactly what sprung to my mind, too. 
    Despite the grief he got, MD was a highly qualified coach that was appointed for a valid reason .  Roddy serves no purpose whatsoever..
    Yep, Sandgaard decided to let the guy just sit around with his feet up collecting a wage for nothing, which is a very sensible and logical decision.

Not.
    What’s your explanation then ?
    He's got a role that involves running the football side of the club instead of the commercial side, so that the academy, senior men's team and the women's side all have one overall manager.

What that actually involves on a day to day basis I don't know but he does have a purpose.

• Ged Roddy did a long interview on the OS explaining what he was covering in his job. 
  • Meanwhile Lee Bowyer’s new team wins 5-0 away! Previously, all close sources report a very happy manager, despite all that went on and family settled until the arrival of…well, you draw your own conclusions!
  • Drove this morning behind a very smart Tesla with a very unique personalised GED number plate, and wondered if this was our man. 
  • Drove this morning behind a very smart Tesla with a very unique personalised GED number plate, and wondered if this was our man. 
    Did he have cahones in the car with a pile of suitcases on the backseat? Asking for a few 1000 friends 😉
  • “Ged Roddy 0% support”
  • TELTEL
    edited August 2021
    I wonder if he'll act a bit like a Tommy Driesen where Gallen will partly need his approval to get a signing over the line

Only this time we have someone a bit more sensible and experienced doing that role
    Just opened this thread for the first time and saw this post about 6 posts in....nail on the head?? excluding the bottom line...

• We need a CEO not Ged roddy interference in recruitment 
  • No knowledge whatsoever on what Roddy does,or what influence he has,but to me we did not need anyone other than our management team and Gallen involved in recruitment,they did ok even under Roland with all the restrictions that involved.I have a horrible feeling this is going to end badly with good people walking away.