Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Having watched that video I now think people are barking up the wrong tree here. You can see what he enjoys and gets passionate about; a long term, holistic approach to developing young players. I do not see at all a bloke who enjoys the wheeler dealer world of recruitment, so I can't imagine why he would step on Gallen's (or Adkins') role to get into that area. What I'm hearing in respect of his involvement in the first team is structural - probably beefing up the fitness and medical side, and maybe the scouting structure. But vetoing individual first team recruits? I am not hearing any desire from him to get involved in that area. He has quite enough on his plate given that it looks like our academy production line might be faltering a bit. 

Frightening really how our fanbase can nowadays via social media create a vicious pile-on based on no evidence whatsoever. Probably led by fans who haven't seen this video and  would get bored with it after 30 seconds anyway.
    He is is on the committee alongside TS, SG, NA for deciding which players we are signing (from TS at Bromley Addicks)

Richard Cawley also reported last week that he is in charge of the recruitment team.  SG role is dealing with agents, club and players transfer/contract talks  and also recommending players alongside those recommendations from GR recruitment team. 
    I've seen that tweet. Which RC, with great respect to him, will have dashed off without too much thought for wording. My point above is that the interview with Roddy does not suggest that's an accurate description of his main role and more importantly for me (as an executive search professional) the way he talks does not suggest to me that he would greatly enjoy such a role. 

We are 'recruiting" young players for the future, as well as first teamers for immediate needs. Based on his interview I'd have thought that's why Roddy is on the committee, for the youngsters. I don't see how what he describes would allow him to credibly veto whichever Ipswich signing some fans think should have been ours, and certainly not to veto a decent left back in order to create a pathway for his son. I mean, come on people, do you really think TS SG and NA wouldn't see right through that? Just stop and imagine the conversation around that...
    You think? I don't. 
    As you know, I’m not one to “knock” decent hard working journalists such as RC. However what he has written doesnt fit at all the role that Roddy outlines in that interview, or indeed the roles Roddy has fulfilled elsewhere. But it has certainly fuelled the lust for a simple, standalone scapegoat, which I doubt he intended.

So do you believe, then, that Roddy is to blame for our failure to recruit by blocking signings that Adkins and Gsllen wanted to make? And do you believe that specifically he has blocked the signing of another left back so as to promote the career of his son? ( I’d like to ask @Rob7Lee the same question) Because that is what a large number of fans are saying, apparently on nothing more hard evidence than RC’s tweet.

I could perhaps more easily believe that Roddy has hoodwinked the owner,  empire-built and manipulated everybody ( especially re his son) if he had been around for a while, because as @Rob7Lee says, it does happen. But usually with people whóve got their feet well under the table, or who had been employed by their boss elsewhere. 

Do we know, btw, how Roddy was recommended to Sandgaard? And are we clear that Roddy and Adkins have no previous history of working together? 
    Roddy and Adkins have never worked together before.

Gallen, Adkins and Thomas have all publicly said Roddy and his team (who ever they are) are involved in the recruitment.

I agree Roddy is a convenient scapegoat.

The big questions for me are who advised Thomas he needed someone in Roddy's role, who recommended Roddy and who interviewed Roddy?   Who else, if anyone was considered/interviewed? 
    Sure, I get that. But some people are now going much further, citing RC's tweet as evidence that Roddy is in a position to - and does- overrule Adkins and Gallen on current first team recruitment. And if that tweet is all there is, I find it hard to believe, not least because in that half hour interview above I don't see a bloke who even wants to be in that position. His son is another matter, but I still can't believe that in getting his son in, he was able to ride roughshod over Adkins and Gallen. It's just too much. Pantomime villain stuff.
  • edited August 2021
    Right so we have established that Mort is to blame. We now have to find out if Roddy has pictures of Mort hanging out the back of a Shetland pony. I'm just being silly now. But even so I do think its very important the main adviser to Thomas and his team is established.
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Having watched that video I now think people are barking up the wrong tree here. You can see what he enjoys and gets passionate about; a long term, holistic approach to developing young players. I do not see at all a bloke who enjoys the wheeler dealer world of recruitment, so I can't imagine why he would step on Gallen's (or Adkins') role to get into that area. What I'm hearing in respect of his involvement in the first team is structural - probably beefing up the fitness and medical side, and maybe the scouting structure. But vetoing individual first team recruits? I am not hearing any desire from him to get involved in that area. He has quite enough on his plate given that it looks like our academy production line might be faltering a bit. 

Frightening really how our fanbase can nowadays via social media create a vicious pile-on based on no evidence whatsoever. Probably led by fans who haven't seen this video and  would get bored with it after 30 seconds anyway.
    He is is on the committee alongside TS, SG, NA for deciding which players we are signing (from TS at Bromley Addicks)

Richard Cawley also reported last week that he is in charge of the recruitment team.  SG role is dealing with agents, club and players transfer/contract talks  and also recommending players alongside those recommendations from GR recruitment team. 
    I've seen that tweet. Which RC, with great respect to him, will have dashed off without too much thought for wording. My point above is that the interview with Roddy does not suggest that's an accurate description of his main role and more importantly for me (as an executive search professional) the way he talks does not suggest to me that he would greatly enjoy such a role. 

We are 'recruiting" young players for the future, as well as first teamers for immediate needs. Based on his interview I'd have thought that's why Roddy is on the committee, for the youngsters. I don't see how what he describes would allow him to credibly veto whichever Ipswich signing some fans think should have been ours, and certainly not to veto a decent left back in order to create a pathway for his son. I mean, come on people, do you really think TS SG and NA wouldn't see right through that? Just stop and imagine the conversation around that...
    You think? I don't. 
    As you know, I’m not one to “knock” decent hard working journalists such as RC. However what he has written doesnt fit at all the role that Roddy outlines in that interview, or indeed the roles Roddy has fulfilled elsewhere. But it has certainly fuelled the lust for a simple, standalone scapegoat, which I doubt he intended.

So do you believe, then, that Roddy is to blame for our failure to recruit by blocking signings that Adkins and Gsllen wanted to make? And do you believe that specifically he has blocked the signing of another left back so as to promote the career of his son? ( I’d like to ask @Rob7Lee the same question) Because that is what a large number of fans are saying, apparently on nothing more hard evidence than RC’s tweet.

I could perhaps more easily believe that Roddy has hoodwinked the owner,  empire-built and manipulated everybody ( especially re his son) if he had been around for a while, because as @Rob7Lee says, it does happen. But usually with people whóve got their feet well under the table, or who had been employed by their boss elsewhere. 

Do we know, btw, how Roddy was recommended to Sandgaard? And are we clear that Roddy and Adkins have no previous history of working together? 
    Roddy and Adkins have never worked together before.

Gallen, Adkins and Thomas have all publicly said Roddy and his team (who ever they are) are involved in the recruitment.

I agree Roddy is a convenient scapegoat.

The big questions for me are who advised Thomas he needed someone in Roddy's role, who recommended Roddy and who interviewed Roddy?   Who else, if anyone was considered/interviewed? 
    Sure, I get that. But some people are now going much further, citing RC's tweet as evidence that Roddy is in a position to - and does- overrule Adkins and Gallen on current first team recruitment. And if that tweet is all there is, I find it hard to believe, not least because in that half hour interview above I don't see a bloke who even wants to be in that position. His son is another matter, but I still can't believe that in getting his son in, he was able to ride roughshod over Adkins and Gallen. It's just too much. Pantomime villain stuff.
    There was a suggestion that "all 4" have to agree.  Which would give all 4 a defacto veto.  Including Thomas who has said himself he has vetoed some deals based on none financial reasons.

Edit:

"We talk through all these things - myself, the manager, Ged Roddy [Technical Director] and the chairman. We’re all talking and giving our opinions, and we all decide whether to move for a player. We all agreed pretty quickly on Sean Clare, we were well aware of him."

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60f7d12985b77/we-moved-really-quick-steve-gallen-on-sean-clare-signing

That's not conclusive evidence but it's not the only time it's been said
  • edited August 2021
    JohnnyH2 said:

You think? I don't. 

Just because Roddy is involved in recruitment doesn't mean he's vetoing signings. I don't believe Adkins is all that involved in the process - he's said himself that he didn't meet Kirk before he signed and I'd be very surprised if he had much time to be 

Now Roddy might well be looking in the wrong places but I'm sure if we're missing out on signings it will be due to budget and not because Roddy is saying no to players that are aligned to the strategy and would genuinely improve us. What would be the motivation behind him doing that?

Whether the strategy is any good is a different matter. At this point it looks like we've put too much focus on a players future value at the detriment to our chances of promotion.
    This ^^^ is very plausible  👏👍
  • My theory, for what it's worth, is that Bowyer realised that when GR arrived he wanted to replace him and that's why he jumped before he was pushed. Adkins appeared from nowhere with indecent haste and was obviously waiting in the wings for Bowyer to be sacked. Look at the job Bowyer is doing at Birmingham, even though they are probably as much of a basket case as we were under RD. We can only dream of some of the recruitment by SG when Bowyer was here . I suspect that many of the players who arrived were impressed by Bowyer the man and his career and wanted to play for him. I can't believe that NA has the same appeal. The signing of CBT is similar to the Josh Parker signing and tells us all we need to know about potential signings before the end of the month.  Would love to know who told TS that GR was the man you should listen to.
  • Addickted said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Have you never worked for a company where you are 'given' the Chairmans, board members/senior executives son or daughter, best friend of said executives son etc as an employee? I certainly have, more than once.

Not saying that's what's happened here, but it goes on in many places and I doubt football is that much different. Charlie Barker anyone?
    Yes. Several times.

But never once have I let them loose on managing either multi million pound contracts or dealing with clients of any significance until they've gained experience or have approved their worth.
    For my part once I was senior enough to be in a position to see it, I never actually did. Best I could think of, at the last ad agency in London, was the son of the chairman of the Belgian office who came over for some entry-level experience in a biz of 350+ employees. As you say, not at all in  a position where he could be left exposed in a super-competitive environment, to the detriment of the agency, his Dad or himself. And you can't get more exposed than as a rookie left back in a struggling team where all the fans know who your Dad is...
  • JohnnyH2 said:

You think? I don't. 

I’m just taking issue with the suggestion that Rich C just chucked that out without thinking about the wording. He didn’t, which I know because we’ve discussed it, but he wasn’t making a point either. It reflected his understanding. 

I’ve expressed no view on the rest of it because I don’t know. I did hear there were some differences of opinion in January. Maybe that’s unsurprising.
    Thanks. Just to say again, I greatly appreciate RC and have tried to have his back both here and on Twitter, many times. So my comment above was not helpful to the discussion and I withdraw it.

Most people tend to assume pyramid structures in org. management and his tweet implies to a lot of people that when it comes to recruitment Roddy is above Gallen in the pyramid, and that has really set the hare running. But that scenario doesn't fit with the "committee of four" we have also heard about. That committee style is very Scandi. My personal view on that style is that it works in business only if everyone in involved is a Scandi. Most remotely dynamic and ambitious Anglo-Saxons go mad in months if they find themselves involved in that.
  • Sponsored links:

• When Roddy can in no one on here was sure what it was all about. Now Gallens magnificent track record is up in flames and people are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 4 !!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

You think? I don't. 

I don't honestly know like the rest of us! But I'd be extremely surprised if Roddy blocked the signing of a left back due to his son or any other player, I'd be more persuaded that his son would unlikely be here if his Dad wasn't in his position and the reason for our lack of signings is more money driven than disagreement.

I was just making the point about GR's son, it's not the first time a senior member of staffs son/daughter has ended up working for the same 'company', we've all seen it or been on the receiving end of it. Even in Charlton circles in recent times you also have Richie Barkers son signing whilst his dad was assistant manager and no doubt many others, doesn't make it necessarily wrong mind.

It doesn't necessarily equate to they aren't good enough to be here, but like in many walks of life it's as much about who you know as what you know.

Personally I'm more concerned that TS is on any player recruitment panel, appreciate it's his money, but shows the level of micro management/involvement in areas he shouldn't really be. He should at the start of the season set a plan and a budget (in all areas of the club, not just 1st team or playing side) and give the autonomy of those employed to do the job (who will be vastly more experienced than him), same applies to the CEO position...... oh hold on......

If you don't give senior staff the authority or autonomy to run the areas of their responsibility then you only have yourself to blame if things go wrong. What next, pick the team and decide on whether to play the diamond or not .....  ;)

Almost every successful business I have been involved in has been due to employing the right people at the top and allowing them to run, we are a long way from that here IMHO. Take over any business, especially a failing one, clear out, appoint the right people and let them get on with their jobs.
    Agree entirely. At some point though you must see things moving in the right direction. Presently things at Charlton are not.
  • @Rob7Lee, yes I agree with all you've written there. Which brings us back to the other hot topic of the need for a "CEO" or whatever you call such a person. I don' think Thomas is remotely as daft as Duchatelet, and I hope he will come round to that soonish. 

I'm trying to recall how long, after the Murray-Simons crew took over, we appointed anybody like that? @Airman Brown will know. But it took a while, as I recall, for them to realise that they needed a whole lot more than Arnie Warren, and even longer than that before they alighted on Peter Varney as the solution. My point is that I can't really blame TS for trying to be hands on for a while, he did rescue the thing from certain disaster and is a footie fan.Hopefully the best outcome of all these bellends giving him grief on Twitter is that it hastens the moment when he brings someone in.
  • @Rob7Lee, yes I agree with all you've written there. Which brings us back to the other hot topic of the need for a "CEO" or whatever you call such a person. I don' think Thomas is remotely as daft as Duchatelet, and I hope he will come round to that soonish. 

I'm trying to recall how long, after the Murray-Simons crew took over, we appointed anybody like that? @Airman Brown will know. But it took a while, as I recall, for them to realise that they needed a whole lot more than Arnie Warren, and even longer than that before they alighted on Peter Varney as the solution. My point is that I can't really blame TS for trying to be hands on for a while, he did rescue the thing from certain disaster and is a footie fan.Hopefully the best outcome of all these bellends giving him grief on Twitter is that it hastens the moment when he brings someone in.
    Arnie Warren had left by the time Murray-Simons took control of the club.  There was no MD/CEO when they took over in Feb 95 until Sept 97 when PV was appointed.  Roger Alwen had been effectively the MD/CEO before Murray-Simons took over.  When they did Murray took charge of the football stuff and I think Jonathan Fuller was the most senior on the non football stuff. 
  • edited August 2021
    When Roddy can in no one on here was sure what it was all about. Now Gallens magnificent track record is up in flames and people are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 4 !!
    But is it really a magnificent track record?maybe I’m being harsh. He has been involved in bringing soon good ‘uns in to the club for sure. But let’s not forget, Bogle, Smith x 2, Smyth, Davis, Mcgeedy, Maddison, Gunter, Watson, Hemed and Kayal. 

**actually,  I’ve changed my mind - Gallen is well in credit. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:

You think? I don't. 

I’m just taking issue with the suggestion that Rich C just chucked that out without thinking about the wording. He didn’t, which I know because we’ve discussed it, but he wasn’t making a point either. It reflected his understanding. 

I’ve expressed no view on the rest of it because I don’t know. I did hear there were some differences of opinion in January. Maybe that’s unsurprising.
    Thanks. Just to say again, I greatly appreciate RC and have tried to have his back both here and on Twitter, many times. So my comment above was not helpful to the discussion and I withdraw it.

Most people tend to assume pyramid structures in org. management and his tweet implies to a lot of people that when it comes to recruitment Roddy is above Gallen in the pyramid, and that has really set the hare running. But that scenario doesn't fit with the "committee of four" we have also heard about. That committee style is very Scandi. My personal view on that style is that it works in business only if everyone in involved is a Scandi. Most remotely dynamic and ambitious Anglo-Saxons go mad in months if they find themselves involved in that.
    I'm not sure Roddy is more senior or above Gallen in the structure.  They both have different remits (with a bit of an overlap) and I think report direct into TS.  What could be argued is that it is overkill for a division 3 side especially with no on site CEO. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    @Rob7Lee, yes I agree with all you've written there. Which brings us back to the other hot topic of the need for a "CEO" or whatever you call such a person. I don' think Thomas is remotely as daft as Duchatelet, and I hope he will come round to that soonish. 

Arnie Warren had left by the time Murray-Simons took control of the club.  There was no MD/CEO when they took over in Feb 95 until Sept 97 when PV was appointed.  Roger Alwen had been effectively the MD/CEO before Murray-Simons took over.  When they did Murray took charge of the football stuff and I think Jonathan Fuller was the most senior on the non football stuff. 
    Nice to see some facts to counter the speculation,
  • Can anyone clarify if it's been mentioned who recommended Roddy to Thomas. Thomas has literally come into the world of English football from nowhere. What real due diligence has been done? 

Yes I'm gonna jump on this one again. I asked this a few days ago. For me it's key. Thomas didn't surely get an off the shelf replicate Brentford model with person 1,2,3 from Freshfields and Chris Mort did he? 
    Roddy.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    @Rob7Lee, yes I agree with all you've written there. Which brings us back to the other hot topic of the need for a "CEO" or whatever you call such a person. I don' think Thomas is remotely as daft as Duchatelet, and I hope he will come round to that soonish. 

Obviously my memory failed me regarding Warren, whom I never met. However, re the chronology I was involved with the club quite a lot from 1992 on, and by "the club" I mean Murray and Simons. They were the ones who drove the VIP supporter deal while we were at Upton Park and they asked me to get some publicity posters done to support it. I now recall that on that I had to work with Jonathan Fuller (who vetoed a headline for the poster with the headline "Believe us, Robert Lee can really move"...) Then  I remember doing some stuff regarding sponsorship for the first game back at the Valley, and there I had the misfortune to have to deal with Andy Bryant. I can remember also very clearly being already in Prague early in 1994 and Mark Mansfield calling me to discuss that Richard Murray was thinking that the club might need a CEO. I agree the records show that Roger Alwen was chair until 1995, but for all those reasons it seemed to me that Richard Murray was effectively the CEO from around 1992. Either way the main point is that it took them a while to realise that you need a full time person running the club at high level.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Jonathan Fuller was in charge after Warren - can’t remember if he was called general manager or MD but he was certainly the most senior member of staff. I know that he left when the club was taken public because Murray wanted to be able to say that he had a director based at The Valley, which is why Roy King was appointed to the board. 

Roger Alwen was running things on the ground in 1994 but that was a bit of a car crash (Man United Cup tickets and Man United youth game chaos). I agree that Murray was doing the serious stuff behind the scenes but he didn’t bump Alwen out of the way altogether until 1995. I don’t think you can say Murray was acting as chief exec before that, and we had to manage Target 10,000 through the board in the summer of 1994 with Murray and Martin Simons’ support. He was certainly very influential though.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Obviously my memory failed me regarding Warren, whom I never met. However, re the chronology I was involved with the club quite a lot from 1992 on, and by "the club" I mean Murray and Simons. They were the ones who drove the VIP supporter deal while we were at Upton Park and they asked me to get some publicity posters done to support it. I now recall that on that I had to work with Jonathan Fuller (who vetoed a headline for the poster with the headline "Believe us, Robert Lee can really move"...) Then  I remember doing some stuff regarding sponsorship for the first game back at the Valley, and there I had the misfortune to have to deal with Andy Bryant. I can remember also very clearly being already in Prague early in 1994 and Mark Mansfield calling me to discuss that Richard Murray was thinking that the club might need a CEO. I agree the records show that Roger Alwen was chair until 1995, but for all those reasons it seemed to me that Richard Murray was effectively the CEO from around 1992. Either way the main point is that it took them a while to realise that you need a full time person running the club at high level.
    Roger Alwen was running the club certainly after we went back to the Valley and may have even been paid a wage for it.  After the Man United ticket fiasco of 1994 (and 5th round replay ticket issue against Bristol City) Voice of the Valley editorial was all about why Roger Alwen should be removed from that position (and even stated he can remain as Chairman) due to his day to day running of the club
    Yes and with good reason, which is why he was!
  • T said:
    Was there not speculation in the media that the one of the Freshfield lawyers was going to be appointed CEO by Thomas when he bought the club?  Or did i dream the whole thing. 
    Not sure but Leo Rifkind of Freshfields was appointed as non-exec director back in March.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6049f2f7b643b/leo-rifkind-appointed-as-non-executive-director
  • Probably gonna wait till i see all the players in action before congratulating or criticising him.

The ones I have been able to see haven't filled me with a lot of confidence. Early days though and we know a couple from previous (Famewo, Leko etc) can improve and if they all do we might just have ourselves a decent team. We'll see. 
  • cafctom said:
    So…any chance of Ged Roddy getting any credit for a strong end to the window?

He got pelters from quite a few who had put 2 + 2 together and got 5, so why shouldn’t the criticism be reversed when a good job has been done?

Just putting the question out there…
    He certainly had a good game last night. Of course, that doesn't mean that the old man didn't pull a few strings to get him here but I'd like to think he's shown that he has the necessary skill to be here regardless of the recruitment process. 
  • I thought he had a decent game last night, lets hope the academy will improve him. Might he have played for the first team because there have to be a certain number of first team players in a Papa John`s trophy game, those of you up on the rules will no best.
  • Leuth said:
    Lol TWO of you can't read thread-titles now

it is pertinent as a lot of criticism of him was about the signing of his son to the academy and then playing him in the first team.
    the last bit of my comments is a diversion from topic I would agree.