Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Note (As I referenced with Sage’s earlier post please take care in alleging Nepotism. It does not exist in isolation. If you assert his sons employment is nepotism then Messrs Avory & Adkins can but have been complicit.

Out of interest why would Avory as academy director be in any way complicit in Ged Roddy's.son getting a professional contract?  Are you suggesting that Avory is also at the recruitment table for our professional squad?  I thought he just looked after the youth side of things.

• Ged Roddy is an extremely talented & successful strategist. He is a talented academic who played a large part in developing a sports university for young sporting talent at Team Bath where he had hands on experience at levels 7-9 of the football pyramid.

How many people around non-league football saw this particular chapter in Roddy's story.

https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clubs/4823-university-challenge

• Ged Roddy is an extremely talented & successful strategist. He is a talented academic who played a large part in developing a sports university for young sporting talent at Team Bath where he had hands on experience at levels 7-9 of the football pyramid.

How many people around non-league football saw this particular chapter in Roddy's story.

I mean this nicely, but there are so many purist prigs in non league
  • The nepotism problem isn't new in the football industry. 

Only have to look at the likes of Maurizio Pochettino or Andrea Mancini for two. 

The idea that Roddy was given just as much chance as the next 18 year old is farcical. 

I wonder what his wages are compared to the other youth players, would make for very interesting discussions in the changing room I'm sure. 

Interesting - thanks for sharing.
  • In dealing with such emerging talent he was identified as the person to design and implement the Premier League Elite Player Performance Plan. Over 8yrs It was an impressive piece of work proving to be a notable success at a PL level.
    Might've been a notable success at Premier League level, but screwed over the clubs lower down the pyramid.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was going to say RCT, that I think you’re ESI has experience has made you go the other way in the other directions, more out of defence then what’s materially going on 
  • Rothko said:

Ged Roddy is an extremely talented & successful strategist. He is a talented academic who played a large part in developing a sports university for young sporting talent at Team Bath where he had hands on experience at levels 7-9 of the football pyramid.

I mean this nicely, but there are so many purist prigs in non league
    Most certainly, but not in this case.
  • Rothko said:
    I was going to say RCT, that I think you’re ESI has experience has made you go the other way in the other directions, more out of defence then what’s materially going on 

You're very much probably right there mate and I hope that is the case.
  • Released by Southampton at 16 is no disgrace. Two years at Bradford College then a Professional contract at a league one club. You can understand why questions are being asked and eyebrows raised.
    I was released by Arsenal at 16. Would love to throw my hat in the mix for this token left back spot, but unfortunately I’m currently ruled out by a ruptured waistline injury. 
    Too tall?
  • edited August 2021
    c. Shake it all about
  • edited August 2021
    [A long detailed post - please don't quote it in full - AW]
    Ged Shoddy
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Think we need to calm down with the witch hunt, results aren’t going our way atm but no need to jump on the Roddy out bandwagon. We’ve got stability, we’ve got a good owner and manager.

Some of our fans are scorned by the past but just take a deep breath, me included 😂 and wait until the end of this window.
  • edited August 2021
    One thing is patently clear. The last few years has undermined our trust in pretty much anyone that comes near our football club. We treat them with suspicion until proved worthy of our trust. 
    There is a lot of, what I can only describe  as PTSD from the last 7 years, and it doesn’t take much to get people’s levels of anxiety to raise quickly and the defence kicks in. 

The start hasn’t been wonderful, and the transfer business not as spectacular as others, so the hair triggers have gone off. Charlton Twitter is just a fucking cesspit compared to even the more extreme posts on here 
  • My grumpiness yesterday has nothing to do with mistrusting individuals, and entirely down to a lousy transfer window so far, delivering a very poor team
  • Released by Southampton at 16 is no disgrace. Two years at Bradford College then a Professional contract at a league one club. You can understand why questions are being asked and eyebrows raised.
    I was released by Arsenal at 16. Would love to throw my hat in the mix for this token left back spot, but unfortunately I’m currently ruled out by a ruptured waistline injury. 
    Are you saying the only way you’ll pass the CL height test is lying down?
  • The Mervyn Day hate was exactly what sprung to my mind, too. 
  • edited August 2021
    One thing is patently clear. The last few years has undermined our trust in pretty much anyone that comes near our football club. We treat them with suspicion until proved worthy of our trust. 
    I’m not sure it’s quite that, Sandgaard was treated largely with trust from Day 1. 

I just think we’ve had such a run of disappointment and negative outcomes we just haven’t got much resistance built up anymore as a collective fanbase. It’s been 15 years where it’s largely been disappointment, underperformance and protest, supplemented with maybe just 3 or 4 decent seasons in that time. And the last two have been particularly strained and poor.

It’s come quicker in this cycle as there has been a raising of hopes and expectations, and the showing (so far) is quickly pointing to that being ill-founded. 

Just my take on it 
    Sandgaard was different, we got to know him before he bought the club. There were a series of interviews in which he talked about his ambitious plans and showed a lot excitement for where he could take us. When the takeover went through he was then seen as the saviour of the club.