Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Interlagos has been renewed since 2030

Just needs to be put back as the final race on the Calendar.
  • Some great racing in the sprint race. Obviously Max is out in front but a lot going on further down the order 
  • edited November 2023
    Interlagos is such a great track - One of my favourites each year, even better when its a bit wet
  • edited November 2023
    Oh Charles Leclerc... What have you done!!

Poor bloke hearing that radio message, with his hydraulics going
  • Mercedes looking like a barge.
  • Wow... What an effort from Fernando Alonso
  • Well done Alonso 
  • edited November 2023
    Well done Alonso 
    stiched Perez up like a kipper.
  • Not a great race until the last two laps when Perez unfucked it, fucked it again, and then nearly unfucked it again. 

Alonso is the best defensive driver in the grid, while some make themselves hard to pass through sheer aggression and running others off the track, Alonso is so good at positioning his car, slowing the following driver down in key areas without doing anything illegal or controversial. 

• Well this will be a treat today.  I'm pretty sure it'll go well over my A-level physics head.  One of the perks working for Aeronautics at Imperial, we do a huge amount of work with a lot of F1 teams, especially McLaren.
  • Sponsored links:

• That looks absolutely fascinating John. Will be interesting to see if they talk about how they so rapidly improved this year's car. 
  • Yep, I need a PhD in computational fluid dynamics to understand most of this.  Interesting though.  Just dont ask me to summarise afterwards lol.
  • Just watched the first Episode of the Brawn Documentary.

Looks to be good viewing so far

Might be some making themselves look better, and to share the glory of helping get Brawn on the Grid. But didnt realise the other teams were so helpful to get them into the 2009 Season.

Touch of irony really listening to Christian Horner talking about it, when you consider he helped, which in turn led to Mercedes buying out Brawn.
  • On a complete tangent, just realised the LV GP is a 6am start.
    Hadn't even dawned on me that they were running it at Midnight LV time but makes sense given they want the LV strip all lit up.
    Guess I'll be getting up early Sunday then :)
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    On a complete tangent, just realised the LV GP is a 6am start.
    Hadn't even dawned on me that they were running it at Midnight LV time but makes sense given they want the LV strip all lit up.
    Guess I'll be getting up early Sunday then :)
    Quali is @ 8am Saturday Morning
  • It’s going to be cold at midnight in Las Vegas. It’s in the desert and it’s November. Getting the tyres up to temp is going to be challenging.
  • It’s going to be cold at midnight in Las Vegas. It’s in the desert and it’s November. Getting the tyres up to temp is going to be challenging.
    Any team that's actually quite brutal on tyres should have an advantage here. Combine with the long straights and cooler temperatures, I think Ferrari have a half decent chance of getting a result this weekend, as long as they can keep it out of the barriers and there's no remotely significant strategy calls to make
  • I'm looking forward to it. An absolute cheese fest and with the unknown track and cold tyres it could turn into a farce! 
  • Keeping it out of the walls will be interesting for everyone. It could become a bit of a vicious cycle. Someone bins it into a wall on slippery cold tyres, safety car comes out, tyres get cold again, someone bins it again on the restart etc. I fully expect some red flags in practice and qualifying.

I have a feeling this will either be a really dull race once the novelty of the setting wears off (the track layout doesn't look great). Or it'll be one of those races that is very exciting due to general chaos (but not necessarily the quality of driving).
  • Keeping it out of the walls will be interesting for everyone. It could become a bit of a vicious cycle. Someone bins it into a wall on slippery cold tyres, safety car comes out, tyres get cold again, someone bins it again on the restart etc. I fully expect some red flags in practice and qualifying.

I have a feeling this will either be a really dull race once the novelty of the setting wears off (the track layout doesn't look great). Or it'll be one of those races that is very exciting due to general chaos (but not necessarily the quality of driving).
    Similar to the first couple of Baku races then?
  • Sponsored links:

• I know it's been said before - but why run a night race in November!!  I've been there for my birthday in November and had some nice sunny days (never that warm) but absolutely freezing once the sun went down.  Seems a bizarre decision - September or even October would have been far better.
  • Watched the " opening ceremony" , seemed to be more of a music festival with the drivers appearing for a couple of mins at the end. All very weird. 
  • CafcWest said:
    I know it's been said before - but why run a night race in November!!  I've been there for my birthday in November and had some nice sunny days (never that warm) but absolutely freezing once the sun went down.  Seems a bizarre decision - September or even October would have been far better.
    Money 
  • F1 has become a freakshow now. Certainly not what it was. The off track entertainment was always an added bonus now its being put before the racing. Even the engines sound shocking. Just ashame flavios breakaway series never happened. 
  • The BrawnGP documentary is well worth a watch, you kind of forget they were basically the cornerstone of the modern Mercedes management too with Andrew Shovlin,James Vowles, Pete Bonnington etc 
  • edited November 2023
    FP1 cancelled after 9 mins , drain cover issue like the other year in Baku , big damage to Sainz's floor. 

So they've now got to go and check all the drain covers are secured 

Edit - new chassis for Ocon too  
  • CafcWest said:
    I know it's been said before - but why run a night race in November!!  I've been there for my birthday in November and had some nice sunny days (never that warm) but absolutely freezing once the sun went down.  Seems a bizarre decision - September or even October would have been far better.
    Money 
    Surely that money would've still been there if they'd held it a bit earlier in the year when it was warmer.
  • To the surprise of no one , FP2 delayed 
  • edited November 2023
    Perhaps there should be more focus on the sausage and less on the sizzle!?